• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Knowles Allegedly Assaulted Woman and Drafthouse Owners Didn’t take action.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't know any facts about this, but I used to know him and he always seemed the type to cop a feel and pretend it was a joke. Bummer.

Linkura

Alamo Drafthouse milkshake ducking themselves. Morons.

Also this doesn't surprise me in the least re: Harry Knowles. Dude has always been super creepy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nah. AICN produced some good writers and the site itself was a watershed to movie geek blogs writers we have today. Good or bad.

I'm sure it had some good writers at different points.

But the site as a whole was god fucking awful with largely bad writing and a nearly unreadable layout.

Harry Knowles is one of those guys who found success in the vacuum of the early internet despite having absolutely nothing to offer.

I visited AICN pretty regularly around the time of the Star Wars Special Editions and then leading into the prequels. Then one day I was watching Roger Ebert’s show and he had Harry Knowles be the guest reviewer with him. I’d never seen the guy before and that was not what I was expecting.

Sci-Fi was working with him on a AICN TV show back in the day that never went anywhere. I cannot imagine what that would’ve been like...

I used to go to AICN back in the day for news about the SW prequels, X-Men, etc. Harry Knowles was then, and obviously has continued to be, a complete POS and disgusting on every level. He's been known for a lot of controversies and sketchy shit over the years: a Kickstarter campaign for an awful public access show that he (very unfortunately) starred in, but he most likely used the money to pay off his tax debts; one of his staffers was jailed for sketchy access to early film viewings; extremely unethical accepting of tons of presents and goodies from studios in a naked exchange for good reviews, etc. Through it all, Knowles is outrageously self-absorbed, myopic, childish, and ignorant. His writing style, critical understanding, and capacity for self-reflection are all primary school level, at best.

I'll never forget one especially idiotic post that he made about erecting a Robocop statue in Detroit. Everything for Knowles revolves around his concept of "film geek-dom", and his take on this Robocop statue was no different:

Motor City, had most of its motors leave - killing the industry that built this great city. Now buildings, houses... vast areas of the city are dying. Once vital neighborhoods. This is an American tragedy. But as geeks, there's one thing we can all help to do, to make Detroit great... and that's help build a ROBOCOP Statue!!!!

They need $50,000.00 to build a permanent statue to the cinematic symbol of justice in Old Detroit. I know there's great charities to do great work for a number of causes, but this - this is just something that feels right for me. Detroit needs ROBOCOP - and we need to visit ROBOCOP in Detroit. Let's make this happen. That's just too cool! Kids playing at his awesome feet. This would be epic.

The comments on the article really laid into him. I'll never forget howling with bitter laughter as I read this stuff. Some of these truth bombs are so savage.

Many of the residents of Detroit are struggling just to get by yet Harry thinks it's “cool” to support a charity which raised $50,000 to build a statue of a fictional character from a hyper violent film. Why don't they just put the money in a sack, go down to a shelter in Detroit and set the cash on fire in front of the homeless? At least they'll get some warmth out it... This idea is just mind numbingly selfish. Be honest Harry, the only reason that you want this statue is because it fulfills some kind of personal “geek” requirement. You don't care about the opinions of the people of Detroit one bit so don't give me that “tourism will increase” nonsense. You live in a narcissistic fantasy world in which you can't even empathize with the plight of other human beings...Harry, I honestly think that it's too late for you to transform your life and become a sympathetic and accommodating individual. You're a horrible person and you'll always be one. I pity you.

I've held this in for a long time...Harry, you are a FUCKING IDIOT. Harry, Sections of Detroit are bordering on collapse due to skyrocketing unemployment, massive property foreclosures and one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. So you think it's a good idea to spend $50,000 on a statute of a fictional character from a hyper violent film which depicts Detroit as an even worse shit hole. Do you even see the irony of your suggestion? Maybe we should ask the struggling residents of Detroit if it “feels right” to them? Perhaps many of the needy residents of Detroit would rather hang out at the feet of the Robocop statue than you know...eat. This is just another in a long list of appalling self-gratifying maneuvers that you've pulled in the long and embarrassing history of this site (does everyone remember "pwesents"?). Get a clue and stop thinking only of yourself you fucking prick.

Harry, this is fucking irresponsible. And you're a goddamn tool for endorsing it. Yet you still think you can lecture us on politics.

ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS COOL...Has no soul... only a cretinous nerd that has no place among film nerdom would dig this....Harry, you can blame it on the medication... but you are so out of touch and give film nerds a baaaad name. Awaiting your push for a Captain America statue at the base of NYC's Freedom Tower... maybe think before you post, wank-stain.

Im convinced, utterly convinced that harry is a douche bag, not so closet racist. straight the fuck up... FUCK your soul, Harry.

The readership of AICN is a unique case, because they are united in their collective loathing of this guy. Comments like these weren't rare - this is just a post that I specifically remembered having some especially brutal remarks. Normally, when you've got guys like PewDiePie, JonTron, and other internet assholes who say horrible and disgusting shit, the viewership falls over themselves to defend their idiocy and hatred as free speech, etc. Not so with Harry. His readers really hate him.

Geez. It begins.

I've heard a few stories in the last couple weeks. One is so disappointing that it leaking would end AICN entirely by itself. So far these public ones are new to me.

I guess I'm not going to BNAT this year.

jett

D-Member
Wow, this guy... sure wrote some things...

DKcPdnKXoAUU60k.jpg:large

True Blood must be his favorite TV show of all-time.

Guy was always a grade A asshole. I worked for Alamo for a bit around 2007 and he would piss the seats and not leave it till the movie was over. He treated virtually everyone like shit. It's been a shame to hear about Tim not doing anything about this though. I always thought he was a stand up guy. I also have a friend who runs the PR for their distribution arm of the business. I'm real curious what he has to say about all this.

Did anything else come out about Tim aside from him continuing to support Faraci and his behavior?

Lovely.

So he'd just take a piss right there on the seat like its his personal urinal? He's been wheelchair bound for so long and is so fucking massive I guess going back and forth from the bathroom is just too much for this beast.

gnomed

Geez. It begins.

I've heard a few stories in the last couple weeks. One is so disappointing that it leaking would end AICN entirely by itself. So far these public ones are new to me.

I guess I'm not going to BNAT this year.
I have not been to a BNAT in years.

His self-absorbness on certain reviews later on started to grate. But i appreciate the fact that a self professed "geek" was getting by doing what he likes. Didn't know this was what he was doing in the side, fuck this guy.

Revenge of the Nerds led us down the darkest timeline.
We need a new reboot where the nerds get stuffed back into lockers to save us all before they lead us to ruin.

Revenge of the Nerds 3: Shove it Up the S.T.E.M.

Revenge of the Nerds led us down the darkest timeline.
We need a new reboot where the nerds get stuffed back into lockers to save us all before they lead us to ruin.

Revenge of the Nerds 3: Shove it Up the S.T.E.M.
It was so refreshing to see Bully portray the nerds as a bunch of petty assholes.

watershed

Banned
Those tweets are surprising. Especially the messages he sent on Twitter. Close the book on this guy. I hope fans are conscientious enough to stop visiting his site now.

Dan-o

I think it was brought up in another thread but if anyone feels like starting a left leaning chain of cinemas, now is your chance.
I said that, although someone else might have as well.

I've got some cash. Let's do this shit, y'all.
I don't have enough for even one location :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yes, the writers of Heroes are sick, because that was obviously what they were thinking when they created the character.
wat
I never saw that before. I don't think I've read that site since between the time he saw Attack of the Clones and when it hit theaters.

norm9

Rubbing on somebody unsolicited is fuvking weird and creepy as hell.

Eta-a friend of mine sat in a piss soaked seat at the arclight in hollywood once. I wonder if hes ever visited.

look at him

is it really

You'd think he'd be banned from the theaters though. What the Alamo just lets him come in and piss and shit in his seat while people are sitting around him? I guess its kinda funny. He must be hogging down a major amount of food being that big.

Lots of people saying why would anyone go to that site? Well, there are other writers, who range from good to average blogger quality. But of course its to read Harrys review to make fun of them, and insult him in the comments.

The readers of AICN hate Harry by far more than anyone else. They've had to disable the comments on most of the articles right now, because it was just a complete anti Harry hatefest that was gleefully celebrating the end of Harry.

This makes matters worse for Devin. Well for both of them, as they are going to be lumped together. The fat sweaty face of mysoginy in the film critic world.

netguy503

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvasLHsEGw0

LOL

(A Dramatic Reading of Harry Knowles' BLADE II Review)

Also wasn't he engaged/in a serious relationship to a Asian women (and the person he sent those DM's to is Asian I believe so he clearly has a type) what happened to that and, if he still is with her, what does she have to say about it?

SeanTSC

I'm sure both "could" be, if you were so inclined.

Clearly the first accusation is more than just receiving a text however. The idea physically assualting someone and sending a crass but fairly harmless text are comparable is pretty ridiculous.

Assault isn't purely physical and those texts are straight up assault. Sexual Harassment is classified as Assault. When it turns Physical then it's Battery.

Also, Sexual Harassment is not EVER "fairly harmless".

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seen this posted on Twitter, Harry's review of Urban Legend (1998) and not that I want to pile on, but how was this tolerated as film criticism? It's straight up disgusting.

Then there is our intelligent thinking woman that doesn't go to bed with anyone because well, she's got some sort of fucking morality going on. Dammit. What type of bullshit is this. First off, Sydney was a complete bitch in SCREAM. I hated her. Rose McGowan and Randy were the cool characters. Sydney is that girl that never ever puts out, that comes up with an attitude at parties, that wants to pledge at the first University she sees. GOD, if any character was screaming for an axe blade between the eyes it's this one. And here, I discovered something. The girl that is our hero in films, has a problem with a jaw being closed.

The best friend. The Noxema Girl. What a babe. What can I say? Ms Noxema. If you would. I would rub Noxema on your cheeks for hours. I would. I would do that. Because... I love you. Yes, it's true. You come on my TV set. You look into my soul. I know you do. I look into yours. Together we can be happy. I know it. I can take your pain away. That angst you have of having them fakey types around. I'm real. I live in a dirty real live movie loving male lair. You should come here. It is useless to resist. Take the first step. COme on. You can do it. That's good. Take another. Thank you. Now repeat till you are in my arms. I'll wait for you. I will. I'm determined to. Yes. I know.

I don't even know what to say.

Top Bottom