• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Expands Probe to Trump Business Transactions

It's so funny.

Yesterday: Trump warns Mueller.

Today: Mueller expands probe into Trump's business transactions.

Mueller is like...

hqdefault.jpg

watershed

Banned
Trump is gonna order Rosenstein to fire Mueller then force Sessions to resign and order his new AG to fire both Rosenstein and Mueller.

Interesting move on Mueller's part.

When you make a trap so evident, it is not a trap anymore, it is a challenge.

Mueller is literally forcing Trump's hand.

rambis

Banned
By the time a movie like this would roll around, that's actually a brilliant choice.

Congress =/= Democrats.

I mean Schiff himself has to get a Republican to sign off on any activity he does in this investigation on his committee. Are you seriously suggesting he might not know precedings to re-establish what was originally an USC statute is going to require bi-partisan approval? Cmon dude.

Trump is gonna order Rosenstein to fire Mueller then force Sessions to resign and order his new AG to fire both Rosenstein and Mueller.

Both positions are subject to Senate confirmation. I would imagine that would be the first question.

I mean Schiff himself has to get a Republican to sign off on any activity he does in this investigation on his committee. Are you seriously suggesting he might not know precedings to re-establish what was originally an USC statute is going to require bi-partisan approval? Cmon dude.

That's what you got out of this? I'm saying he can say what he wants to say, but unless he gets...Conaway?...to sign off on it means jack shit. Cmon yourself.

Surfinn

Because if original investigation thread surfaced shit you wouldn't pull on other threads for more shit to use.

Oh.... wait...
No you definitely wouldn't pull on other threads as you poke around and discover things in the investigation. Nope definitely not

This kinda says to me that they haven't found anything yet.

It's actually the opposite. Mueller needs "reasonable suspicion" to expand the investigation into Trump's business transactions. Something has clearly led him to believe there is a connection between the Russia investigation and Trump's business interests.

Surfinn

A legal expert as brought this up before. A wide broaching investigation can suggest they don't know exactly what they are looking for and are trying to cover all bases. All speculation of course.
Literally nothing about this investigation suggests that they haven't found anything.

TronWayne

I feel like we already knew this, but I guess it's good to reiterate after Trump's comments yesterday. It's not like the Special Counsel heard the interview last night and started investigating this morning. Sounds better that way I guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I feel like we already knew this, but I guess it's good to reiterate after Trump's comments yesterday. It's not like the Special Counsel heard the interview last night and started investigating this morning. Sounds better that way I guess.

It seems highly likely that Trump's lawyers and accountants received requests for materials, and Trump is too stupid to not blurt something out. Every leak we've had from Meuller's team has been a brush-beating exercise to scare out people and information.

mclem

An investigation isn't scattershot, you know. You don't just keep expanding the scope until you find something or give up.

The scope has expanded because they have reasonable belief that the things they've found thus far have led them towards that.

Any move by Mueller’s team to pursue Trump’s personal financial records comes as the bank continues to negotiate a settlement with the Department of Justice over its so-called mirror trading scheme, in which the bank’s former Moscow branch is alleged to have allowed $10bn to flow out of Russia. Democrats on Capitol Hill have been demanding answers about who might have benefited from the scheme.

Deutsche has been fined more than $6bn in connection to compliance failures since 2015.

According to an analysis by Bloomberg, Trump now owes Deutsche, his biggest creditor, about $300m. He has four large mortgages, all issued by Deutsche’s private bank. The loans are guaranteed against the president’s properties: a new deluxe hotel in Washington DC’s Old Post Office building, just around the corner from the White House; his Chicago tower hotel; and the Trump National Doral Miami resort.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...k-donald-trump-russia-investigation-subpoenas

rambis

Banned
Literally nothing about this investigation suggests that they haven't found anything.
Thats not what I said?
Both positions are subject to Senate confirmation. I would imagine that would be the first question.

That's what you got out of this? I'm saying he can say what he wants to say, but unless he gets...Conaway?...to sign off on it means jack shit. Cmon yourself.

I mean you did hop into a conversation where the guy I was quoting literally was saying that. Maybe not butt in next time if you don't want to be mistaken?

rambis

Banned
An investigation isn't scattershot, you know. You don't just keep expanding the scope until you find something or give up.

The scope has expanded because they have reasonable belief that the things they've found thus far have led them towards that.

There were watergate people on cable news that suggested exactly this is what was happening. I wouldn't rule it out.

rjinaz

Kinda doesn't say that at all.

Though I think people also shouldn't be popping the champagne corks either. We get these little leaks in the press but really have no idea what is going on.

Until Trump confirms it with another twitter rant. Greatest Witch Hunt in history!

This kinda says to me that you believe Mueller's investigation is a witch hunt.

You're suggesting that they are expanding the search because they haven't found anything yet, implying that they are trying to find something incriminating.

Horns

More likely that Trump will fire Sessions and will try to install someone who will not recuse themselves than fire Mueller.

MogCakes

More likely that Trump will fire Sessions and will try to install someone who will not recuse themselves than fire Mueller.
It is known that position puts you on a sinking ship or immediately fired. Almost nobody who isn't completely suicidal would be willing to take it.

Damaniel

Banned
Asked if Mr. Mueller's investigation would cross a red line if it expanded to look at his family's finances beyond any relationship to Russia, Mr. Trump said, ”I would say yes." He would not say what he would do about it. ”I think that's a violation. Look, this is about Russia."

I think the one thing that Trump fears more than anything - even being brought up on charges related to Russian collusion - is being outed as far less wealthy than he lets on (or perhaps even broke). Trump is a person who has been defined in the public eye (at least pre-2016) as rich, and the name has been associated with wealth since the 80s, if not before. I don't think his narcissistic heart could take being exposed as - gasp! - possibly less wealthy than he says. (The fact that he made criticizing the relative level of his wealth a bigger no-no in his celebrity roast than going after his family and children also points to this).

Personally, I won't be happy until he's behind bars and his name and family's reputation has been ruined. Keep digging, Mueller!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Mueller doing what should have been done two years ago by Trumps political enemies so he would not have been elected in the first place. Or investigative journalists.

Top Bottom