• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Expands Probe to Trump Business Transactions

Trump can directly fire Mueller repealling the act that. We've established this before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...now-i-wrote-the-rules/?utm_term=.ad4d0306ad8d

Schiff doesn't hold the power to do that.

See above.

Listen: You. Do. Not. Want. Trump. To. Fire. Mueller.

Yes, it will look horrible. But there's no guarantee Congress would hire Mueller back. It will also look horrible for them as well. There's no guarantee Mueller has set up ways to pass his findings to someone like the NYAG. We would hope so, but that's it.

Firing Mueller would be an absolute shit show in the public. But Republicans will just nod and say that the President has that power.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. That also scares the shit out of me.

Occam

If Trump is smart(he isn't), he would fire Mueller and then resign.

Mueller is going to end up finding something really bad in his finances that could get someone close to him arrested.

Trump and his entire clan ending up in prison would be great justice.
zw17.gif

rambis

Banned
Adam Schiff already said if Trump fires him, the House Intel Committee will immediately appoint him Special Counsel to their investigation and he'll keep right on going.

Not to mentioned that firing a SECOND guy who is leading an investigation is obstruction of justice.
Independent counsel*

Very important distinction as he would then be under no authority of the executive branch.

Pillville

Trump is so stupid, you don't tell an investigator not to look somewhere.....

from a reddit comment:

:Mueller pulls out pen and notepad:
"Like specifically where should we not look, Mr. President? Any account numbers you want us to avoid? Which banks should we not contact?"

Kremzeek

I wish they wouldn't leak info about what Muellers team is investigating. It would have way more impact if it was all revealed at the end, so Orange Idiot doesn't have an opportunity to counter or weasel out or throw up some more smoke screens, or threaten to fire.

If Mueller isn't planning for the contingency of himself getting fired and how to maintain the integrity of the investigation in that event, then he's not the guy for the job cuz I could figure that shit out

rambis

Banned
How exactly does Schiff propose for that to happen when the Independent Counsel Act expired? I don't think Schiff knows what he's talking about.
"Re-establish". Maybe you should reread what he said.

Schiff can say whatever he wants but it would not happen unless Republicans wanted it to.
Its like people forgot the firestorm of Comey's firing that led to Mueller's appointment. And Comey had people on record from both parties saying he should be removed.

Vestal

Gold Member
If Mueller were to find something like money laundering that has nothing to do with Russia, could he still pass that on to prosecutors? I'm curious if we could see the whole Trump real estate empire topple, including Junior and Eric.

Yes..

Look at how the Lewinski stuff came about back in the 90s... Ken Starr was appointed to look into some real estate stuff if I am not mistaken and it just expanded from there. Special Prosecutors have broad powers.

Sephzilla

Trump can directly fire Mueller repealling the act that. We've established this before.

From what I remember Rosenstein later clarified to the Senate that, no, Trump can't fire Mueller directly.

Plus, even if I'm wrong here and Trump can - I highly doubt Mueller doesn't have a contingency plan in place for that

I wish they wouldn't leak info about what Muellers team is investigating. It would have way more impact if it was all revealed at the end, so Orange Idiot doesn't have an opportunity to counter or weasel out or throw up some more smoke screens, or threaten to fire.

Coordinated leaks can lead to new information from new sources.

They can also make certain people nervous, and in turn, force someone else's hand.

Trump Jr. was forced to release all of his email conversations after the Russian meeting details were leaked.

Tovarisc

If Mueller isn't planning for the contingency of himself getting fired and how to maintain the integrity of the investigation in that event, then he's not the guy for the job cuz I could figure that shit out

Hard to think he wouldn't have fail-safes in place.

It would be naive of Mueller not to set up some sort of "Dead Man's Switch" should Trump fire him. Mueller doesn't seem like the naive type to me.

Only hopes and dreams at this point. I'd rather him stay in charge.

What sort of legal area do special counsel regulations occupy that a President could order them repealed? I assume less than normal laws, which would require congress involved.

Executive Order, if another article I read was correct.

From what I remember Rosenstein later clarified to the Senate that, no, Trump can't fire Mueller directly.

Plus, even if I'm wrong here and Trump can - I highly doubt Mueller doesn't have a contingency plan in place for that

The guy who wrote the WaPo article wrote the rules.

I'm highly confident of Mueller being a guy who plays by the rules. He would do that if there was a mechanism to do that.

Mahonay

Banned
Either this is gathering a huge pile of evidence that actually will create a rock solid case that is indisputable, or another example of non stop investigation leading to nothing as usual
They are in the middle of building an all encompassing case on Trump and his admin. This is Mueller and his team directly adding to the case. They aren't going to just blurt our their findings until they are ready. Calm down with the "it's been leading to nothing!" That's not how any of this works. Shit takes a lot of time and hard work to successfully prosecute these goons.

I hate Trump and think he should be kicked out of office as much as anyone, but unfortunately we will have to wait for that. Wish we didn't, because he's been busy destroying our country.

Yeah, this guy will be fired soon. Trump is not going to let someone send him to jail. Especially when he has the power to remove them from the equation.

This is why some of these investigation details need to kept secret. Good job running this story, Bloomberg.

Firing Mueller wouldn't stop shit, unfortunately for him

Hell it might not even stop Mueller

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Trump’s sale of a Florida mansion to a Russian oligarch in 2008

Maddow did a few episodes on this one earlier this year. Her investigation was pretty eye-opening too. Trump was in financial trouble. He had this property he never used and it was currently priced far below the purchase value due to no interested buyers.

But magically along comes a Russian oligarch that not only is suddenly interested, but purchases the property far above the market worth by a healthy magnitude(like tens of millions above!). This obviously not only helps turn around Trumps financial issues, but over the next several years this oligarch is caught shadowing Trump at his towers in NY, his golf clubs, and was even taking his private plane to various stump spots in battleground states during the campaign last year.

That oligarch of course has heavy ties to Putin and Deutsch Bank.

I think we need a constitutional amendment to require presidential candidates to disclose their taxes and make it an automatic removal from office if they violate the Emoluments Clause as well as stricter requirements for the presidency, including at least a few years of public service.

Blizzard

Banned
Executive Order, if another article I read was correct.
The regulations were originally an executive order? So they weren't put in place because of a President being investigated?

*edit* Ah, it was created when there wasn't an active scandal, just memories of scandals.

Bleepey

Just take all the script pages from Veep, Arrested Development and House of Cards and put them in a deck shuffler.

I want something between Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development.

Like seriously imagine how this scene could be played out in different tones:

House of Cards

Trump on TV: Mueller better not check my finances!

Mueller: Looks at TV and raises eyebrow

News Report: Director Mueller has now expanded the Investigation to President Trump's finances

Pain and Gain

Trump on TV: Mueller better not check my finances!

Men in FBI jackets start handing out subpeonas at Trump tower and all the relevant accounting firms, start carrying computers out of a door leading to the next scene where forensic accountant looking people start going to work on his finances.

Mueller goes from scowl to shit-eating grin.

Arrested Development

Trump on TV: Mueller better not check my finances

Ron Howard: Director Mueller then proceeded to check President Trump's finances

Trump and the rest of the Trumplings look on dumbfounded.

I think we need a constitutional amendment to require presidential candidates to disclose their taxes and make it an automatic removal from office if they violate the Emoluments Clause as well as stricter requirements for the presidency, including at least a few years of public service.

I can't see any constitutional amendments of any variety passing in this current political environment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Don't you dare look under the floorboards."
"I'm looking under the floorboards"

When did this happen?

He gave an(other) incoherent interview with the NYT where he screamed that Mueller would be crossing the line if he looked into his finances.

Top Bottom