• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

Garland7G

As someone who put in a ton of hours into Mass Effect 3's MP, I wanted to make a simple thread to discuss all things Andromeda MP. So far, I can say that it is very much like ME3's MP but alot better do to the combat improvements in the game (Jet pack).
The multiplayer does alot of things right and is a ton of fun if you dont get hooked up with a bad host. I can't remember if ME3 was P2P but it doesn't seem like it was since I don't recall much lag.
Anyways, here's the thread to discuss it, if you have any questions I can do my best to answer, I play on a regular PS4 btw and the MP runs great when hooked up to a decent host which is about 90% of the time for me.

I've had lag during the trial but none since the full game came out, love the human female adept profile, made me change my gameplay profile in SP !

Ralemont

not me
I'm on ps4 and when I create a lobby with a friend it takes forever for matchmaking to actually work. Is this typical?. Also, no way for me and a friend to join someone else's lobby together right?

I never played the ME3 Multiplayer during it's heyday, and by the time I really started to get interested in it, it was far too late into the game's cycle.

I will plan on playing ME: A's multiplayer on PC, though. I'll see if I can get into a couple of Bronze games just to see how things play out. I've got an Angara Insurgent that feels fun to play.

Morzak

I'm getting more and more bad hosts again (Europe). yesterday playing Vanguard without being host was a bit frustrating. Also loosing XP Booster because Session interrupted or something on the start of a Match is frustrating.

I think the mode will need a lot of balancing espeacially when it comes to weapons. As a vanguard there is no real good reason to use a shotgun over the Charger, the Charger does so much damage compared to the shotguns and doesn't completely suck at range.
The Kett are also by far the hardest enemy to fight. Ascendants can't be killed by a quick panic RPG and the combo of Ascendants and Fiends can be absolutely brutal.

I'm focusing on Human Vanguard as my main (same as ME3) until I unlock a Krogan Vanguard or other alien characters.

I feel the Charge+Nova combo is less effective than before. I was playing on Bronze against some raiders last night, Charge+Nova doesn't always kill them off, but strangely, Charge+Biotic Punch does, and you can pull off Charge+Punch much quicker than Charge+Nova.

But of course I'm only Level 4 or 5 right now, I guess things will be different once my abilities have been upgraded.

Garland7G

I'm on ps4 and when I create a lobby with a friend it takes forever for matchmaking to actually work. Is this typical?. Also, no way for me and a friend to join someone else's lobby together right?

I heard all that is broke atm. If you make a lobby with you and a friend or two, the last few spaces won't every fill up. On the second bit,I haven't tried joining quick match in a party yet, if possible.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm focusing on Human Vanguard as my main (same as ME3) until I unlock a Krogan Vanguard or other alien characters.

I feel the Charge+Nova combo is less effective than before. I was playing on Bronze against some raiders last night, Charge+Nova doesn't always kill them off, but strangely, Charge+Biotic Punch does, and you can pull off Charge+Punch much quicker than Charge+Nova.

But of course I'm only Level 4 or 5 right now, I guess things will be different once my abilities have been upgraded.

It definitely gets better as you near lvl 10. The bonuses you get down the trees of nova and charge increase significantly compared to early ranks.

I heard all that is broke atm.
All is fine in Hong Kong. Been playing with my friends for the last two nights, no disconnection except once where my friends dropped out of a game I was hosting, the game started without them, two randoms quickly filled their place.

Not sure you and your friends can join someone together. I don't see any party system. Just host your own game, set to private, then switch to public after your friends joined.

It definitely gets better as you near lvl 10. The bonuses you get down the trees of nova and charge increase significantly compared to early ranks.
I'm about to make the decision on my Nova tree. Did you go with +60% dmg vs Armor, or vs Shield? I can't decide at the moment, leaning towards Armor because my friends and I can tear through shields relatively quickly, but armor can take some time. More enemies have shields though so I don't know...

edit: Oops, sorry for the double post.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm about to make the decision on my Nova tree. Did you go with +60% dmg vs Armor, or vs Shield? I can't decide at the moment, leaning towards Armor because my friends and I can tear through shields relatively quickly, but armor can take some time. More enemies have shields though so I don't know...

edit: Oops, sorry for the double post.

I went with armor just cause it takes me fuckin forever to tear through it with my current weapon setup

I was hugely into ME3 multiplayer and I'm glad this is so similar. Having a blast so far, but damn, you really can't just hole up behind some walls and play whack a mole like the last game. I'm playing human adept and don't feel super impactful because I have a hard time getting a combo off on more than one or two things. I'm worried that when I move to silver/gold I'll be kinda useless. Adjusting to PS4 after playing the last game on PC probably isn't helping. Anyone playing adept at higher difficulty yet?

edit: also I was excited to unlock the carnifex pistol but it feels weak as shit

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Mostly loving the MP lately, few too many disconnects though (PC, NZ based).

The localisation could do with some work, otherwise it's amazing!!

Symbiotx

I'm really enjoying it so far. Doesn't feel as solid as ME3's though. When it's a laggy game, it's awful - everything teleports, you lock onto standing enemies with no health, etc. Also, a couple times the game has just crashed. Not liking how unstable it is so far, but hopefully it gets better because I do like it.

Nemesis_

This is markedly more difficult than MP3 right? Really struggle to clear levels at this rate.

I know they probably wont but I'd love them to add the previous enemy sets in just as a legacy non canon thing. Reapers, Geth, Cerberus would be amazing

Lt-47

This is markedly more difficult than MP3 right? Really struggle to clear levels at this rate.

I know they probably wont but I'd love them to add the previous enemy sets in just as a legacy non canon thing. Reapers, Geth, Cerberus would be amazing

They put the Collector as dlc for ME3 despite the fact that it makes zero sense lore wise so anything is possible.

Nemesis_

They put the Collector as dlc for ME3 despite the fact that it makes zero sense lore wise so anything is possible.

I totally forgot about that! I really hope they do. Although maybe the way they behave won't work with the new mobility options with the combat. Would still love them to do something.

I'm having a blast in MP!

My only gripe is the crates seem much less generous with loot. I've bought at least 1 of every type of crate, and just don't seem to be getting very many items. I've unlocked 1 assault rifle, 1 shotgun, 2 snipers, and 1 pistol, as well as 5 weapon mods in total. Also having poor luck with the boosters. The one thing I'm doing well on is characters, I've only got a handful left to unlock.

My main character is level 11, and I feel pretty good about their abilities, but I've just got shit equipment, it's preventing me from moving from bronze to silver.

At least the general gameplay and levels are fun, so it's not to bad to keep grinding out for more credits.

Fedelias

I was just thinking about this the other day! Would make for a great legacy DLC, they could even add in some old weapons/maps/characters.

Jamaro85

Bought the game yesterday (PC), fired it up last night and neither I nor a friend could even connect to the EA servers for hours. But once we finally got through I was able to play for several hours with connections being PERFECT.

It feels like ME3 through and through, despite the CoD-like overhaul with the movement system. I'm only on bronze but it certainly feels challenging and the new movement doesn't make enemy avoidance super easy, which was my concern.

I just have to say some of these level one weapons are hopeless. The Avenger, then some burst fire AR I picked up (not Mattock) take WAY too long to kill. I don't remember level one weapons sucking this much in ME3, but memory could be failing me here. I picked up the Incisor and the level one has been shredding everything.

I just hope N7 weapons are easier to obtain this time. I put hundreds of hours into ME3 and had one or two N7s at level two. What is the point of the Black Widow being the ultimate sniper at level five if all you can get is level one. The Widow X was my go-to and the Black Widow I was way too weak to consider bringing into a gold game. Maybe some who played more than me or spent real money on packs had a different experience, but the rarity of N7 weapons made them feel like nothing more than a collection piece.

Anyway, I feel right back at home playing as an infiltrator, even if I have to use a three shot burst fire sniper rifle for now. I'm playing on PC this time and love having mouse and keyboard for sniping compared to playing on the 360 in ME3.

KYZR

Bought the game yesterday (PC), fired it up last night and neither I nor a friend could even connect to the EA servers for hours. But once we finally got through I was able to play for several hours with connections being PERFECT.

It feels like ME3 through and through, despite the CoD-like overhaul with the movement system. I'm only on bronze but it certainly feels challenging and the new movement doesn't make enemy avoidance super easy, which was my concern.

I just have to say some of these level one weapons are hopeless. The Avenger, then some burst fire AR I picked up (not Mattock) take WAY too long to kill. I don't remember level one weapons sucking this much in ME3, but memory could be failing me here. I picked up the Incisor and the level one has been shredding everything.

I just hope N7 weapons are easier to obtain this time. I put hundreds of hours into ME3 and had one or two N7s at level two. What is the point of the Black Widow being the ultimate sniper at level five if all you can get is level one. The Widow X was my go-to and the Black Widow I was way too weak to consider bringing into a gold game. Maybe some who played more than me or spent real money on packs had a different experience, but the rarity of N7 weapons made them feel like nothing more than a collection piece.

Anyway, I feel right back at home playing as an infiltrator, even if I have to use a three shot burst fire sniper rifle for now. I'm playing on PC this time and love having mouse and keyboard for sniping compared to playing on the 360 in ME3.

If you are in for the long haul, and want to unlock everything - Buy the cheaper packs first. Start with the Basic Pack and max the common items, then move up to the next pack and unlock all of the items in that tier.

Once you fully level a specific permanent unlock (Weapon, character, mod etc.) it's removed from the loot table. It may take a while, but when you move onto the more expensive boxes, you should see better drop consistency.

PrankT

I don't like leveling up every character instead of class, combos are weak, useful weapons take forever too unlock.

Played hundreds of hours in ME3 and still didn't unlock everything in that game because of rng...don't think I can handle that approach anymore.

Besides that it's still fun.

I think the biggest flaw I've found is that it doesn't do a good enough job of making people work together. Maybe ME3 seems better at this because people have gotten a lot of time to play with it but in ME3 at least 80% of the time when there's an objective, people work and move together as a team toward completing that objective. Here that seems like something that they'll do like half of the time at most. I'm not sure if that's because of a flaw in the game's design or if it's because people are new to it but yeah.

I think the biggest flaw I've found is that it doesn't do a good enough job of making people work together. Maybe ME3 seems better at this because people have gotten a lot of time to play with it but in ME3 at least 80% of the time when there's an objective, people work and move together as a team toward completing that objective. Here that seems like something that they'll do like half of the time at most. I'm not sure if that's because of a flaw in the game's design or if it's because people are new to it but yeah.

This was normal in the early days of ME3's multiplayer as well. Moving up to Silver and Gold tiers will naturally force more cooperation.

Maligna

Banned
So many memories on 360 of using bugs/exploits to get infinite 1 hit kill rockets in the ME3 multiplayer and farming the highest difficulties for in game cash. Has anything like that been found yet? Haha.

Until then though, I'm having a lot of fun playing legitimately.

Just wish the story didn't preclude the ability for Quarians, Geth and those short fat aliens from being classes we can choose.

RdN

Played the entire night last night with a group of 3 friends. We had a blast.

We managed to clear the Drack mission, but failed miserably at the other one. That sixth wave is tough as hell.

I'm playing with the Human Engineer (not sure if this is what it's called, it's the one with Overload, Freeze and Turret), but I'm finding the tech combos very ineffective compared to what they were in ME3.

Also still didn't find a Biotic character that suits my love for combos.. The Human Biotic has Singularity and Throw, but I've found that it's very hit and miss with the combo. I miss the Wrap + Throw combo from my Asari in ME3.. Could wreck havoc with that.

HvySky

My friend and I have found the key to matchmaking. Create a match, send them an invite, wait for a second person to join, have your friend join in, a fourth person instantly follows. No idea why this is happening but we've yet to have our strategy fail us.

PS4 ID is HvySky. Feel free to add if you wanna squad up sometime. I'm getting back into the groove after a long hiatus of ME3 so I'm chilling primarily on Silver for now.

xCobalt

Played the entire night last night with a group of 3 friends. We had a blast.

We managed to clear the Drack mission, but failed miserably at the other one. That sixth wave is tough as hell.

I'm playing with the Human Engineer (not sure if this is what it's called, it's the one with Overload, Freeze and Turret), but I'm finding the tech combos very ineffective compared to what they were in ME3.

Also still didn't find a Biotic character that suits my love for combos.. The Human Biotic has Singularity and Throw, but I've found that it's very hit and miss with the combo. I miss the Wrap + Throw combo from my Asari in ME3.. Could wreck havoc with that.

I saw on reddit that combos are scaled depending on difficulty. They do the least damage on bronze while dealing maximum damage on gold.

RdN

I saw on reddit that combos are scaled depending on difficulty. They do the least damage on bronze while dealing maximum damage on gold.

Hmm, that's interesting. It'll be a while until I can test it out, though.. Still struggling to complete Bronze, can't even think about Gold yet, lol.

Mossybrew

Seems more difficult from what I remember of ME3. Also don't care for the new cover system. I guess with the jump jet it makes it a more hectic/mobile experience, so it's something to adjust to, I don't know if it a change for the better in the long run or not. Doesn't help that after maybe 8 matches I haven't unlocked a single new weapon.

Question: does playing the multiplayer mode get you mission funds to invest in your strike teams? Because I've been playing the APEX app strike teams for 3 days and have a level 16 team (and a level 12 and 13 teams) and it seems like everything from getting some decent equipment to recruiting a new team is prohibitively expensive. Like, I still can't buy a Level 10 character (300 mission funds). But if you get mission funds from successful multiplayer matches, my complaint might be for nothing...

red36

Neo Member
Guy I play with is putting together a character builder. Check it out, he says something should be put together in a week.

https://thethirdrace.com/

Question: does playing the multiplayer mode get you mission funds to invest in your strike teams? Because I've been playing the APEX app strike teams for 3 days and have a level 16 team (and a level 12 and 13 teams) and it seems like everything from getting some decent equipment to recruiting a new team is prohibitively expensive. Like, I still can't buy a Level 10 character (300 mission funds). But if you get mission funds from successful multiplayer matches, my complaint might be for nothing...

The rewards from successful missions are visible from the mission screen. some offer funds, especially apex missions. suggestion:save your initial funds to invest in power ups rather than another team.

So many memories on 360 of using bugs/exploits to get infinite 1 hit kill rockets in the ME3 multiplayer and farming the highest difficulties for in game cash. Has anything like that been found yet? Haha.

Until then though, I'm having a lot of fun playing legitimately.

Just wish the story didn't preclude the ability for Quarians, Geth and those short fat aliens from being classes we can choose.

The Geth are an almost guaranteed no. The Quarians are a maybe.

There are totally Turians in there. I have the Havok and the Soldier.

Also the round dudes are the Volus. Man the Volus engineer was broken in ME3. It was hilarious.

Top Bottom