• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

RS4-

I think they mean the cover grabs where you can grab an enemy over cover and one shot them.

Can you still do that? I haven't been in a situation for it yet.

Oh, I forgot about that, I'll test if right now...if I didn't just get kicked off the server.

edit - I think they're gone.

I think they mean the cover grabs where you can grab an enemy over cover and one shot them.

Can you still do that? I haven't been in a situation for it yet.

You can't actually take cover like the old games prompting that, I don't think you can. Instead the trade-off is way more manuvaribility which I'm completely ok with. I do wish they had kept button assigned cover attach though. Every game is going context based and it just doesn't work as well.

Outside of that my biggest complaint about MP is the enemy doesn't have that same weakpoint/defensive setup like ME3 had. Sure they all have weakpoints but they aren't nearly as satisfying to hit as they were in ME3.

So far I'm a level 15 human engineer and can hold my own in Silver but have yet to beat it.

My thoughts:
-as many have said: game needs a serious patch/update.
-matchmaking can be a mess, as noted
-game seems to have gotten less stable since the trial
-game is pretty hard on bronze. I would say too hard for a "beginner level."
-levels can easily get claustrophobic
-low level players in silver/gold matches

With all that said:
+ They will have to pry this game from my cold dead hands
+infinite possibilities and a ton of fun classes
+jet pack/melee from above
+when you get a team that works together, the game is even better
+so good I haven't even touched the single player

EA/Bioware really need to get their sh*t together and stabilize this game!
-
EDIT: GT-A11iance4g63/Xbox. Will be on tonight. Please add me if you are a 10+ level and want to tackle some silver matches tonight.

I'm hearing folks say you can buy characters with mission funds? I don't see that option anywhere. I recall hearing something similar in the past but with the game's terrible UI its hard enough to figure the simplest things out. It took me a serious time investment just to figure out how to equip a damn nameplate I unlocked.

I'm enjoying my Krogan Engineer and her built-in tech combos and a flamethrower turret, but the gameplay gets stale after a bit. I've been babysitting my turret while popping out to one-shot baddies on silver with my Lanat III, and spending the cash on basic packs to clear out the trash unlocks. Unfortunately there is a lot of trash, and I'd love to shoot for something I actually want soon. I should probably switch it up and play other characters, but then I have to get them ready for silver. At least with buying lots of basic packs you have the other added side-benefit of getting later versions of mods and lots of consumables.

Love the tiny bit of personality each character gets, as long as they aren't insufferable. The Krogan Engineer is great. "Ima-comin!"

Xevren

Oh, I forgot about that, I'll test if right now...if I didn't just get kicked off the server.

edit - I think they're gone.

Yea cover grabs are gone. I miss the heavy melee's the most. Now we just get air ground pounds that feel like shit but look neat.

Sai

Multiplayer's fun. Still miss my baby, but I'll eventually get over it.

All my attempts to join Silver matches have had me matched up with Lv1-3 players who are likely challenging it for the first time, clueless as to how under-leveled they are. I mean, I'm glad they're learning at least, but is the game going to keep matching me up with these first-timers? Bah!

And I wish they kept the alternate melee attacks in, current implementation is dull, to say the least. Feels like it was a missed opportunity with all the added maneuverability and animations; there could have been context sensitive melee animations thrown in, not just the faux-Nova that everybody has.

Quick question for the people who have opened enough packs to get things off the loot table, is the max rank for weapons and classes 5 or 10? I remember it was 10 in me3, didn't know if it was the same here.

Is the starting pistol just trash or what? I have it at rank 9 and my rank 1 sidewinder smokes it on everything but ammo and even then I can just hang out near an ammo box so it doesn't really matter how little ammo the sidewinder has.

LogicStep

I play on PC. No issues playing with a friend. I just create match, send an invite and launch the game. Sometimes people join in before I start the game. Others they drop in before wave 1 or during it.

Is the starting pistol just trash or what? I have it at rank 9 and my rank 1 sidewinder smokes it on everything but ammo and even then I can just hang out near an ammo box so it doesn't really matter how little ammo the sidewinder has.

The Predator is, at least in my opinion, a chunk of junk. If it made up for it's weak punches with a faster firing rate it wouldn't be as bad, but I recommend ditching it for something heftier as soon as you can. I haven't got my hands on a Sidewinder yet (I want one so bad since it looks like a big effin' hand cannon), but my Phalanx chunks people down much quicker.

I'm more pained by what they did to my Crusader. But I think that's fair. No more sniping across the map with it, but honestly now it feels much more true to how it should have been in the first place. And it's like running someone over with a truck every time you pull the trigger.

-EA Servers are awful. Use some cloud infrastructure that scales with demand. Their IT department is failing
-Its difficult to understand the process for buying equipment with mission funds, at least they are actually in the item store now.
-If you can get an Equalizer pistol, you hit the jackpot.
-The krogan headbut isn't as satisfying as the shoulder check, feels less thrilling. Krogan movement speed still sucks.
-Asari adept is a lot of fun with annihilation and 2 detonators
-Soldiers have detonator skills make them a lot more satisfying than in ME3 MP
-I vote to kick anybody under level 5 in silver and refuse to start the game.
-Leveling up seems slower than ME3
-I like the maps

KKRT00

Still cant believe they havent done the beta and had such a shitty design for connections and UI, like my god who was testing this.

-----
I play on PC. No issues playing with a friend. I just create match, send an invite and launch the game. Sometimes people join in before I start the game. Others they drop in before wave 1 or during it.

It worked for me yesterday, but today we could not get any additional players for life.
The exception were APEX missions.

The sidewinder is really good I just did a silver apex mission and I was outscoring everyone by about 4k points and all I used was my powers and pistol that thing is deadly if you can hit people in the head.

Question about Strike Team Equipment:
Is there any reason to buy a piece of gear that adds +20 effectiveness over another piece of gear that does so as well? Like, does it being +20 effectiveness night vision goggles iv do anything different than +20 all-weather gear iv? If not, why would some pieces of gear cost more for the same level of effectiveness? I feel like the app is super smooth, but there's basically zero explanation of the differences in gear?

-EA Servers are awful. Use some cloud infrastructure that scales with demand. Their IT department is failing
-Its difficult to understand the process for buying equipment with mission funds, at least they are actually in the item store now.
-The krogan headbut isn't as satisfying as the shoulder check, feels less thrilling. Krogan movement speed still sucks.
-I like the maps

I mean, the matchmaking mostly works, but this is P2P, just like ME3 was, so not sure what EA's servers have to do with it. Plenty of people with shitty internet and/or shitty computers (if you're on PC) that will affect the MP performance.

Agree on the maps, they're mostly great. Magma is my least favorite, but it's not terrible. Nothing as bad as ME3 Glacier so far.

I dont know if its just that i have had some luck with the packs, but im loving that there is no need for the microtransactions. I have 2 N7 pistols and a gold AR along with some silver weapons. from 1 50K pack and a few 20k packs..

CLBridges

Krogan engineer at level 10, love the class, so many combos. But, I'm going a different route now and leveling Turian Soldier. Gonna go for an all defensive build just to see how well it does. Having a blast!

Coxy100

Banned
Damn, that annihaltor enemy (the one with the orb you have to kill first) is too tough. Literally ran out a corner, didn't know he was there and he insta killed me straight away. Nothing I could do. Doesn't seem fair...

Also anyone else get a glitch every time they join a game already started? I get no voiceovers and the sound is always a bit 'off'. Also my sniper only has 2 bullets instead of 3....

I mean, the matchmaking mostly works, but this is P2P, just like ME3 was, so not sure what EA's servers have to do with it. Plenty of people with shitty internet and/or shitty computers (if you're on PC) that will affect the MP performance.

Agree on the maps, they're mostly great. Magma is my least favorite, but it's not terrible. Nothing as bad as ME3 Glacier so far.

You have to connect to EA servers for logging XP gains, logging store purchases, etc. While it's P2P, the multiplayer client crashes if you lose connection to EA servers at any time in the lobby or during a match. On US West Coast during peak gaming hours, the drops are constant rendering the game unplayable.

Edit: Been in many matches where Game loses connection to EA servers mid match, all XP lost, back to main menu. I do not have any lag issues when in match.

Garland7G

Has anyone figured out what challenge points are? I assume they are just points that go towards completing prestige challenges, but those are all progressed by XP it seems...
Also, the Salarian's have some awesome banter in MP, 'stupid shields!

Kaelan

Man the MP is pretty difficult on bronze alone. A lot of randoms doing dumb shit and running into the chaos and dying on wave 6 - pretty frustrating.

Coxy100

Banned
Man the MP is pretty difficult on bronze alone. A lot of randoms doing dumb shit and running into the chaos and dying on wave 6 - pretty frustrating.
I agree it's difficult - but don't forget if you played ME3 then you will remember playing as a high level character (by the time you'd finished) whereas were starting from scratch again

Renekton

Cannot blame the players 100%, the MP deliberately sows panic. The level design and AI ensure you get quickly flanked by gunners or infiltrated by dogs, cloaks and damage soakers.

Agreed. The lack of urgency on devices, failure to be on the point in hack, and immediately trying to hold the extraction zone on Wave 7 all get a little infuriating at times. At bronze and silver, you can usually win if 2 of the 4 know what to do. Gold you need 3.

/raises hand

Is the N7 Typhoon ultra rare assault rifle from ME 3 in the MP?

edit: And yeah, the N7 human classes from ME 3 were awesome.

Im playing on XB1 and even though the actual MP game is really good, the server issues are the worst I have seen in any game. When I play, I am constantly fearing...

1. Lost connection to EA server
2. Crash to dashboard.
3. Perma game freeze.

This is consistent with my overall ME: Andromeda experience so far, in that some parts of the game are really polished and others are just appalling garbage.

I spent like $40 bucks on packs because why not, store forgot to charge me for a new console I bought so I had some extra money to play with.

So basically I got a shit ton of good weapons but I don't like the feel of them outside of the N7 pirahanna that I only use on my Manguard. I want that Krogan vanguard in the worst way, he has a much better third skill than the man guard.

Taurian Havoc Trooper is a lot of fun so far as well

Krogan Mercenary looks like another fun class with the flame thrower and flak canon. Fortify as well

Have the Angara Insurgent who has shield boost and trip mine, used him in the EA access.

It's a lot more difficult than me3 bronze that's for sure
That's because in me3 your abilities actually did damage

Edit: I can't stand the krogan voices in this game, they sound whiny when I want them growling

Really hate this lootbox shit... just let me buy the weapons directly. Make them more expensive or something Credit wise...

Ugh

Really wanna run Silver more but my current weapons still suck. Have a Widow 2 and some trash ARs...

RS4-

It's a lot more difficult than me3 bronze that's for sure
That's because in me3 your abilities actually did damage

Edit: I can't stand the krogan voices in this game, they sound whiny when I want them growling

me3 was cheese with melee pullovers from cover, turrets, blackhole combos. It was too easy to just take advantage of the way the system and maps were set up lol.

Soldier classes aren't to be overlooked. They can take an already ridiculous gun like the Raptor and dominate a match with the rapid fire skill. It autoreloads your weapon so you can nearly empty a clip then hit it for another clip of bonus damage and with bonus accuracy. Not to mention the devastating grenades. MP this time around seems to place a bigger emphasis on weapons.

Whats not awesome is hard crashing on Wave 6. Dammit all.

Yeah, I see what you guys mean about the servers. Matchmaking is working, but I'm getting frequent disconnects in-games, which is not good.

I'm having a blast in MP!

My only gripe is the crates seem much less generous with loot. I've bought at least 1 of every type of crate, and just don't seem to be getting very many items. I've unlocked 1 assault rifle, 1 shotgun, 2 snipers, and 1 pistol, as well as 5 weapon mods in total. Also having poor luck with the boosters. The one thing I'm doing well on is characters, I've only got a handful left to unlock.

My main character is level 11, and I feel pretty good about their abilities, but I've just got shit equipment, it's preventing me from moving from bronze to silver.

At least the general gameplay and levels are fun, so it's not to bad to keep grinding out for more credits.

It goes away as you max out more guns.

-I like the maps

Absolutely for Level 5/6/7/8 in Silver, it's like "Nah, bruh. Go back to Bronze, no shame."

Cannot blame the players 100%, the MP deliberately sows panic. The level design and AI ensure you get quickly flanked by gunners or infiltrated by dogs, cloaks and damage soakers.

AI - They spawn behind you. No character has a ton of base shields either.

Also, many of them do not use rockets. Wave 6, a ton of shit coming? Use a rocket. They're there to be used.

For the difficulty, I don't think its harder actually--I think it's just coming from ME3MP where I had multiple high level characters and gear/boosters/weapons, I definitely felt weaker lol. Now I have the Avenger at 20, with a Piranha and it's coming back.

That said, I still need my Turian Ghost and Geth Trooper.
On PS4, if anyone wants to play together, give me a shout.
PSN: princeakuma23

oneils

What's the better decision here: Two 50k packs or one 100k pack?

20 5K packs. Level up your character cards to X to get 25 extra skill points. With these 25 extra skill points you will have 85 points invested in the skill tree at level 20.

It will pay off in the end. I've almost maxed all my common characters to X now doing this. I've also maxed all my common weapons to X also. It's paid off.

The game doesn't do a good job explaining how many games you've played but I've played 478 waves or around 60 bronze games I guess (I've only finished two games on Silver so far). That's 120 basic packs for around 600,000 credits. Once all my characters are maxed I will move to 10k packs to max uncommon weapons and mods.

Edit: i also got a ton of level I and II boosters this way. I count about 180 boosters. So I'm averaging 1.5 boosters per basic pack. That's not bad.

Edit: had a look at my manifest. I have maxed 12 common characters to X, 5 common weapons to X, 8 common weapon mods to about V, unlocked all uncommon characters, obtained 190 boosters, 250 consumable items (I've used a few RPGs and revive kits), unlocked 5 uncommon weapons and 1 rare weapon (I bought one 20k pack and actually got a rare). All this with about 600k credits.

I mention all this hoping it helps give an idea of how much it costs to max out common items and characters. I figure I have another 40 packs to go to max out the common mods.

I had my very first MP match earlier this morning, and I can see it being challenging, but it wasn't too punishing for me, honestly. It probably helps that I was using the Angara Insurgent, who I think is a good "beginner" class: his shield boost can save your ass, his trip mines downright one shot minor enemies(on Bronze, anyway), and his turret is a good way to distract enemies. I only had to use a health pack once, and I didn't end up dead and needing to be revived.

I'm sure Silver and Gold will kick my ass, but I plan on leveling my classes in Bronze until they're a solid level.

My current weapons for each class I play are the Falcon assault rifle(which is a grenade launcher, I think) and the Equalizer pistol(Remnant machine pistol). I do have the Pirahna shotgun, which I might use on a Krogan Vanguard whenever I unlock one.

Top Bottom