• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

mattp said:
so, for everyone watching these streams(i refuse)
are the bonfires checkpoints?
i don't know how i feel about that :\
They are checkpoints that allow you to do Nexus-type stuff: Restore health, replenish your stock of healing items, upgrade gear, and level up. HOWEVER, using them automatically respawns all enemies in the area. Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me!

mattp

Orayn said:
They are checkpoints that allow you to do Nexus-type stuff: Restore health, replenish your stock of healing items, upgrade gear, and level up. HOWEVER, using them automatically respawns all enemies in the area. Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me!
hmm, i guess respawning the enemies is a decent trade off. a very demon's souls thing to do
i still feel like this would still make things a little easier than demon's souls, though

how often are these checkpoints?
one of the things i really like about demon's souls was learning the stages because you had to redo them til you got it right. but you still usually had that 1 shortcut in there about halfway through, kind of similar to megaman

Orayn

benzy said:
Difficulty mode? There isn't a hard or normal mode in this game?
The Souls series has only one difficulty level: BALLS TO THE WALL EXTREEEEME!

The closest thing to a difficulty setting is your choice of starting class, as some are more powerful early on than others.

The_Monk

piratepwnsninja said:
Giant Rat!
LIKE A BOSS!

Spoiler tag, please. Some people don't want any details, at all. :)

I'm watching the stream, but some GAFfers want to go in full-surprise mode.

Edit: Ah, ninja edit! Thank you, sir ;)

Orayn

mattp said:
hmm, i guess respawning the enemies is a decent trade off. a very demon's souls thing to do
i still feel like this would still make things a little easier than demon's souls, though

how often are these checkpoints?
one of the things i really like about demon's souls was learning the stages because you had to redo them til you got it right. but you still usually had that 1 shortcut in there about halfway through, kind of similar to megaman
They can't really be halfway points since the levels vary in size and shape more than Demon's Souls, but 10-15 minutes of light combat and not-too-hurried travel is the estimate I usually hear.

benzy

Hobbun said:
Yes, one difficulty.

Perpetually very hard.

Orayn said:
The Souls series has only one difficulty level: BALLS TO THE WALL EXTREEEEME!

The closest thing to a difficulty setting is your choice of starting class, as some are more powerful early on than others.

Sounds good. :p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Holy shit where'd all these people come from to the thread..feels like it's been 5 of us the past week...guess one stream is all it takes.

Orayn

worldrevolution said:
Holy shit where'd all these people come from to the thread..feels like it's been 5 of us the past week...guess one stream is all it takes.
Hype train just needed to build up a head of steam before making its 2-week trip to the future.

mattp

Orayn said:
They can't really be halfway points since the levels vary in size and shape more than Demon's Souls, but 10-15 minutes of light combat and not-too-hurried travel is the estimate I usually hear.
any idea how often they show up? like are there multiples per stage or is it like you get one at the start and another somewhere within the stage?

dammit i wanna play this so bad

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There are no stages. Just one big world. Hence them being scattered around isn't that big of a deal.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
benzy said:
Sounds good. :p
And when you beat the game, NG+ gets harder. And when you beat NG+, NG++ gets harder than NG+, etc... up to like 8 or 9 NG cycles of increasing difficulties. I have one prediction for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIJJMa3y0ek&t=04s
worldrevolution said:
Hope it translates to sales

Einbroch

Banned
worldrevolution said:
I want to go in blind so I'm avoiding everything and anything related to this game.

Orayn

mattp said:
any idea how often they show up? like are there multiples per stage or is it like you get one at the start and another somewhere within the stage?

dammit i wanna play this so bad
It probably varies. I'd guess there are at least two or three obvious ones per major level, with some non-obvious ones mixed in there. (Accessible only via hidden shortcut, only via dying in a certain place, etc.)

The_Monk

worldrevolution said:

Let them come to the dark side... :p

I remember the DS days. Ah good days, and the DS thread is still strong.

Wow, that was really cool (the stream). Didn't want to watch but I couldn't look away! I'm so excited now. I must say the
many-toothed dragon
boss looked terrifying. Just the way I like it. Only... 17 more days :(
nearly 16 :D

Orayn

worldrevolution said:
There are no stages. Just one big world. Hence them being scattered around isn't that big of a deal.
Well, areas still have names and distinct bosses, but they're directly connected to each other instead of linked by a hub like the Nexus.

wotter

Again, there are no stages although the name of the area you enter will pop up. Travelling between bonfires doesn't take much time like the stream shows, a few minutes max. Plus, there's a decent amount of shortcuts to be found. I'm still finding new ways each time I play :p.

I'm an expert

The_Monk said:
Let them come to the dark side... :p

I remember the DS days. Ah good days, and the DS thread is still strong.

Lol I don't even visit the DS thread because I feel like it's a totally different generation of DS gamers on there now. I'm just the old guy who walked 10 hours in the snow to get to DS. These new kids and their dang giant GAF threads.

mattp

Orayn said:
Well, areas still have names and distinct bosses, but they're directly connected to each other instead of linked by a hub like the Nexus.
yeah, thats why i was wondering

i'm not really worried about them fucking this up though

Orayn

worldrevolution said:
Lol I don't even visit the DS thread because I feel like it's a totally different generation of DS gamers on there now. I'm just the old guy who walked 10 hours in the snow to get to DS. These new kids and their dang giant GAF threads.
I wasn't around, but the elders tell me tales of having to walk 15 miles, uphill, in the snow, hunted by the undead just to get to the lonely little Demon's Souls thread.

Ehhhhhhhh, has it always been like that? I can understand 2Chan, but Japanese typing "no English", and "fuck you" all the time are annoying. They can set a stream in Nico Nico Douga if they don't want English in chat.

Muddimar

Can the thief use a bow? If so I think that will be my starting class...Although in DS I found playing the thief class a little difficult at times. Also, do all the classes start at level 1? I know in DS not all of them did. Anyone else playing a thief as their first character in DkS?

Johnas

worldrevolution said:

That's a pretty ridiculous form of elitism you have there.

mattp

worldrevolution said:
lol...ok

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Watched a little bit of the stream. Skipped around a bit so I'd only be seeing glimpses of the game out of context.

$60 well spent for me.

I probably shouldn't have watched any of it, but I couldn't resist. It looks better than I expected visually. The improvements to lighting, texture detail, and character models is very noticeable from Demon's Souls.

The game looks like it plays exactly like Demon's Souls, which amuses me greatly, since it's supposed to be something not tied to the Sony owned franchise. lol.

It's funny, it seemed like the guy wasn't familiar with the Demon's Souls game play style, because he was pretty reckless during that video.

I think I should be able to occupy the 12 day wait with stuff to read, and other games to play.

kyubajin

One thing that has been puzzling my mind is, how are we gonna refer to the "levels" in DkS? I know each area has a name, so how about count the number of bonfires from the 1st one available (should they be in a linear fashion) and use it DS way (ie. Sewers-1, Sewers-2)?.

I'm an expert

Johnas said:
That's a pretty ridiculous form of elitism you have there.

Wait..what? I think you misunderstood my post. Me going to that thread is pointless for me now. One, because I completed the game years ago and there are people in there just now first experiencing it. And two, there are tons of people in there now unlike back when we were first getting into Demon's Souls 2 years ago. It's not an elitism thing at all. Just saying we didn't have that giant of a community back then. Sorry if it came off like that, but I'm not even sure what sort of elitism that was supposed to be..I posted in a thread before you? Uh..right..

In other news, typhoon season is owning us here. Just got a call from work to come in whenever. Dark Souls is clearly bringing it's chaos upon Japan now. I'll use the time to read more on the Livejournal.

Instro

I wasn't going to buy this game at launch cause I have a bunch of other games to finish, but after watching some of the stream earlier I caved and pre-ordered. No willpower! :(

Johnas

worldrevolution said:
Wait..what? I think you misunderstood my post. Me going to that thread is pointless for me now. One, because I completed the game years ago and there are people in there just now first experiencing it. And two, there are tons of people in there now unlike back when we were first getting into Demon's Souls 2 years ago. It's not an elitism thing at all. Just saying we didn't have that giant of a community back then. Sorry if it came off like that, but I'm not even sure what sort of elitism that was supposed to be..I posted in a thread before you? Uh..right..

In other news, typhoon season is owning us here. Just got a call from work to come in whenever. Dark Souls is clearly bringing it's chaos upon Japan now. I'll use the time to read more on the Livejournal.

OK, I guess I misunderstood. I apologize.

I see that kind of thing on the web a lot though, where somebody is better than somebody else just because they discovered cool game x before it became widely popular.

Glad to see you're not one of those.

I think it's still a cool thread to visit, just to read new players' experiences with the game, especially when it clicks for them and they get much better at it.

Soma

Well if the guy on that stream is any indication at how people have/will progress(ed) I can safely say we won't have to worry about end-game spoilers any time soon :F

Foffy

Banned
Instro said:
I wasn't going to buy this game at launch cause I have a bunch of other games to finish, but after watching some of the stream earlier I caved and pre-ordered. No willpower! :(

Lack of willpower isn't the issue. Dark Souls stands out from the crowd of nearly every other major fall release as it's one that has an amazing large ambition, and has the ability to deliver on almost every single front in that regard.

Nearly every other game coming out this year has me thinking "man, I hope this game is amazing..but I feel there will be something I don't like." Now, I know from what I've seen that Dark Souls will deliver on what it wants to be. The question now is how long will that journey take for me.

I'm an expert

Johnas said:
OK, I guess I misunderstood. I apologize.

I see that kind of thing on the web a lot though, where somebody is better than somebody else just because they discovered cool game x before it became widely popular.

Glad to see you're not one of those.

I think it's still a cool thread to visit, just to read new players' experiences with the game, especially when it clicks for them and they get much better at it.

I did for a while, but it was like there were so many people in that thread ready to help everyone that there really wasn't any need for someone like me in there. I didn't even discover DS with all the cool kids, it had been out for a month in Japan before I even heard of it. But yeah, definitely no elitism here regarding that game. I don't even have the platinum.
=(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom