• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

These screen shots are really incredible! What kind of mods did you use? can u pls make a list for us simple mortals hehehe! Thanks!
Colors are all over the place in those shots. Often times, the default game could look as good in the same situation, so taking a mod shot withouth the vanilla game to compare doesn't do much. Bethesda so far has outdone the modders (more or less) in regards to visuals, Skyboost and the first performance mod are the only ones that really put them to shame. The water texture one is quite good i must admit, but then Bethesda showed that water flow shader, it was REALLY nice.

Unicorn

Is there a way to search for mods in the workshop? Can't find the Bethesda HD Textures and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Link in the OP doesn't work.

I will never understand the mods that make women look like 16-year-old girls who haven't figured out how to use makeup right yet.

Well, actually, I guess there are lots of high schoolers playing the game.

JackEtc

So guys, I just started a brand new character because I hadn't played in a long long time, and I wanted to try something new. She's a female Breton.

She looks really nice in some places, like in this cave screenshot, but outside...not so much.

I keep seeing all this talk about how good some of the face mods on Nexus are, and how much of an improvement they make, but I've tried like 10 different mods now, and NONE of them have worked. Anyone know what's up? I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: Just found this Younger Breton Females mod in workshop, and it definitely has made an improvement.

Complistic

Just released my triss companion mod. Still very basic, but seems to be fully functional.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8622

Feeback plz :)

edit: daytime picture this time as requested
8622-1-1328842865.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone else getting this error (only) when using Bethesda's high res textures?
tesv2012021005304721.png

I think it was in other similar logs too, but they were on fire in an inn so I'm not 100% sure.

Xdrive05

There's a smoke effect coming out of my character's feet now any time I go to first person view. I've tried adding and removing "spells" effects via hex codes, no luck. Using the player.setrace command makes it go away as long as I'm in 3rd person, but the glitch comes back any time I go back to first person. All three of my auto saves are from after this began, and my one most recent hard save is as well... so I'm apparently screwed.

Anyone have any ideas? The only mod I have installed is the script extender.

Edit: to clarify, the smoke effect gets "turned on" by me going to 1st person. And once it's "on" it shows up in both views.

So is there a designated GAF thread for talking specifically about the Creation Kit, or is the consensus to head to other sites for that? Having a place for modders and newbie modders to chat, get feedback, etc. with/from fellow GAFers would be pretty nice.

-GOUKI-

Ok yea its the textures. I just turned the textures to medium and it's fine now but now textures don't look as good prepatch :(

vareon

Now I'm waiting for a livelier companion. Like Mjoll, but with more lines and certainly not with some dude who kept following here everywhere she goes. It's going to take years before I see one, though.

Ok yea its the textures. I just turned the textures to medium and it's fine now but now textures don't look as good prepatch :(

You're not alone my friend - I turned off the HD texture pack all together, but I'm still not able to play the game, I'm stuck in cities... can't get out the world otherwise the game just crashes
LLShC.gif

I have been trying to fix it for a good 6 hours now.

S0N0S

You're not alone my friend - I turned off the HD texture pack all together, but I'm still not able to play the game, I'm stuck in cities... can't get out the world otherwise the game just crashes
LLShC.gif

I have been trying to fix it for a good 6 hours now.

I'm betting a lot of people are breaking their games with Open Cities. Uninstall Instructions here. Also, always keep save backups and don't make progress with mods that make such drastic changes. If you do this, you can always just revert to a previous save.

I'm betting a lot of people are breaking their games with Open Cities. Uninstall Instructions here. Also, always keep save backups and don't make progress with mods that make such drastic changes. If you do this, you can always just revert to a previous save.

Yep - I finally managed to get rid of it now and it's been fixed.

I have a feeling that Dohvahkiin Hideout and Open Cities DO NOT mesh because the game tries to load ALL of the cities into memory at once. I was filling the game's memory allocation , trouble is, in order to un-install the game you have to get away from the cities to do it and I had SO MUCH trouble getting away from a city in order to do so. ARG!

Now my game is crashing when I try and 'showracemenu' and I can't seem to figure out why - guess I'm stuck looking like this for the time being.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
As i'm someone new to skyrim and now all of it's insane mods. Is it better to just get the skyrim HD pack off nexus as it looks like it's a better quality than the bethesda one? Even though it's not complete.

So many mods, So little time.

As i'm someone new to skyrim and now all of it's insane mods. Is it better to just get the skyrim HD pack off nexus as it looks like it's a better quality than the bethesda one? Even though it's not complete.

I don't really like Skyrim HD all that much. SOme of the more specific packs are really good, though, like Vurt's flora pack.

PowerK

For me, it's not a matter of personal preference. I'm one of those who try to respect (and understand) director's (and designer's) original intention when watching movies and playing games. Hence, I try to avoid mods which affect it.
For me, it's official high resolution texture pack dlc.

There are mods which enhance visuals while preserving originality. But those are rare, IMO.

_woLf

So if I install the Bethesda HD texture pack, will it break every other texture pack I have (like faces and such too?)

Is that all it'll break? Is it even worth it if I'm already using a different high rez texture pack?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Why Deadly Dragons isn't out on Workshop yet?

I currently use Workshop for all mods including SKSE ones. I do it in a simple way - I run the launcher from Steam, it synchronizes and updates all mods, then I close it and click on SKSE icon on my desktop.

HooYaH

So if I install the Bethesda HD texture pack, will it break every other texture pack I have (like faces and such too?)

Is that all it'll break? Is it even worth it if I'm already using a different high rez texture pack?

Just edit the ini [Archive] posted by someone a page back and you can use your existing textures. By editing, the base game textures will use the HD texture pack. Any texture you download will overwrite the Bethesda HD.

Xanathus

How are subscribed Steam Workshop mods supposed to be automatically downloaded? I thought they are downloaded after subscribing to them in the Skyrim loader but nothing's happening when I run the loader. I've verified that I have the latest Steam version and have subscribed to a bunch of mods, but they're not even showing up in the Data Files section or even in the Data folder.

edit: restarting Steam and re-launched Skyrim, this time an error popped-up about the portal mod's ckm file having an incorrect file size but I couldn't find the file on my system so I unsubscribed from that mod. Starting the launcher again and checked the Data Files and it shows *some* of the mods I subscribed to had downloaded. It looks as if the indicator which is supposed to show which mods are being downloaded is broken?

edit2: OK apparently it downloads the mods you've subscribed via the Steam executable, and it only downloads while Skyrim is running but there is ZERO indicator that anything is happening, the mod just silently appears and activates in your Data Files when it's done. Goddamnit Valve/Bethesda.

CAW

Wow, amazing mod.

Agreed. I just did my first dungeon with the mod installed and it was awesome, especially with 5.1 surround. The only downside I see will be late at night. It's going to be creepy as hell (which is a good thing, but I'm a wimp lol) with either the surround or with my sennheiser cans on.

Enco

Ya and a couple more are coming revolving around other locations and such.
Been looking forward to them for a while but a couple sounds suck.

For example, in the civilization pack, you can hear distant people talking and arguing. It really ruins immersion when you walk into a pub and see two people and can hear ten in the distance that don't exist.

The in door weather sounds are amazing though.

Teleporter

Hey guys yesterday after installing the HD Bethesta pack i went on the game everything was silk smooth (in towns, talkin to npcs etc...) but when i got onto a brawl the game got really laggy, almost staggering and making it impossible to fight! I`ve changed the Skyrim.ini erasing the bethesda hd pack addon and turned it off on the data loader window and it seems that was the issue, but i really dont know how to completely uninstall it from my system. Any links on that? Think that mod would break the combat like that or might be something else?
Big thanks!

You know, I only just noticed that the formation of the rock above the skyforge is shaped like an eagle as I was looking through my screens from yesterday
KuGsj.gif

i374Q3oNyAvBj.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
New search feature, plus the workshop should now be available from a top-level menu option. That's two important usability improvements! :D

Top Bottom