• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

Every time I enter a house, there seems to be objects colliding somewhere and making sounds. It's really annoying. Anyone knows what's causing it and how it can be fixed ?

Thanks

Are you running at over 60fps? That'll do it, random objects just blast off because physics break.

First time player on pc and got my midrange pc hooked to an hdtv. Kinda lost on how to cap the framerate at 60fps. I installed nvidia inspector and choose es v from profiles, but I don't see the frame rate limiter option in the common settings. What gives.

They make it very clear you must have the unofficial patch follow immediately after the main game files in the load order, otherwise you'll run into a ton of issues, make sure you set that up properly, I haven't had any issues myself so far.

It's already at the very top.

I think I'll have to play it without mods for a while to see if the problem goes away. It's fine to add and remove the unofficial patch at any time, right?

The 60FPS lock on physics isn't going to change until Bethesda decides to spend money and develop an entirely new engine, as opposed to modifying the current one over and over.

It's already at the very top.

I think I'll have to play it without mods for a while to see if the problem goes away. It's fine to add and remove the unofficial patch at any time, right?
load order should be like this
ed3c5e6f2ee44a47ae2716492cdc678e.png

UrokeJoe

I thought this update would only be popular for the console base. But it seems a lot of PC gamers got in on it.

Edit. Anyways this is my third time buying into this world. First 360, then PC, and now X1.

I read this earlier in the thread. It's the only type of crashing I've heard of so maybe check to see if this solution works for you.

👇

Holy crap, thanks for this and to the dude who said to check my Event Viewer. It's this exact dll that's causing me problems. I'll take a look at your link and see if that resolves it for me!! Thanks!

I thought this update would only be popular for the console base. But it seems a lot of PC gamers got in on it.

Edit. Anyways this is my third time buying into this world. First 360, then PC, and now X1.

pc users got it for free if they owned all the dlc of the original version

Check Steam, you probably have it without knowing.

Gav

1440p, Ultra settings on my 1070 and 6600k.

Runs at a constant 55-70fps, but every 30 seconds or so, it drops to single figures for a split second, then climbs back up.

Ive tried disabling mods to no avail. Any thoughts?

Edit: disabling g-sync & capping at 60fps seems to have solved it.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Changing SkyrimPrefs.ini grass settings to:

[Grass]
fGrassStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=400.0000

Increases grass draw distance a good deal over the default 7000.0000 with no impact on performance on a GTX 960 4GB. Anyone know if that is the max? Can't seem to extend it further than 10000.0000

Anyone else go any other .ini tweaks for visual improvements with little to no performance increases?

Truant

[Grass]

Increases grass draw distance a good deal over the default 7000.0000 with no impact on performance on a GTX 960 4GB. Anyone know if that is the max? Can't seem to extend it further than 10000.0000

Anyone else go any other .ini tweaks for visual improvements with little to no performance increases?

Are you sure it's working properly with 10000 as well?

What's the correct way to properly set fov now?

I can do the fov 85 command in the console, but the model fov seems to reset every time I enter the map. The actual field of view is correct when I resume gameplay, it's just the hands/fps model that resets.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I can do the fov 85 command in the console, but the model fov seems to reset every time I enter the map. The actual field of view is correct when I resume gameplay, it's just the hands/fps model that resets.

Try this. I've recommended it twice now but am still waiting on someone to confirm whether or not it works.

SnowTeeth

Banned

Seems to be working properly at 10000 for me. I haven't had any issue with it so far after 2-3 hours of testing.

Chris R

Random crashes to desktop now, sweeeeet.

Wonder if it's because I've plugged a controller in, didn't crash once yesterday.

aka_bueno

The game isn't running well for me, it's locked at 1080p 60fps on Ultra but super randomly the game will chug down to 40fps then what seems like 15-20fps for a couple seconds and then shoot back to 60fps.

Its really random, I can't tell what's causing it because it's so random. Might not happen for 20 mins or then it will happen in a few minutes, indoor/out its just random. I can just be in a room and it'll happen.

I'm checking my CPU and GPU usage and nothing spikes when it happens.
Specs: i7 6700, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, M.2 SSD.

Any ideas? I have updated drivers, clean installed using DDU. Disabled most mods, I only had like 5 before, now basically just using the Unofficial Patch mod and Lightpost mods, started a new game/save. Still happens randomly.

Also, how do I change the FOV?

bounchfx

Are you on the newest drivers? My brother had also some crashes on his 980 before updating.

not sure, I updated them last week for BF1 but I'll double check to be sure. Having a 4:3 monitor doesn't help but the original skyrim had no problems with it.

[Grass]

I think 18k was the furthest grass could be pushed at standard ugrids. That was assuming you were at one edge of the loaded cells, looking to the furthest edge of the furthest loaded cell. If you want to push it beyond that, you need to look into higher ugrids values which come with their own complications (but usually worth it, if you have the hardware to manage it).

Widge

I'm finding that the game can really lurch, when approaching the first town in particular. On a 1070 wouldn't expect too many issues, perhaps it is my i5 3750k showing signs of trouble.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
2880x1620 is exactly 1080p+50%. It scales down perfectly.

Damn that's some sexy IQ, downsampling plus TAA doing some work. I can't believe I didn't like TAA before this, but it just makes everything so smooth.

I'm finding that the game can really lurch, when approaching the first town in particular. On a 1070 wouldn't expect too many issues, perhaps it is my i5 3750k showing signs of trouble.

Doubt it's your CPU, my 280X is bottlenecking my FX6300 in the game, the performance just seems to be all over the place for some people, your i5 should be absolutely fine.

Vuze

Is there a way to get this game to accept keyboard and controller input at the same time? It seems to be it's rather stubborn once it receives input from either... just won't let me switch reliably.
Would like to map PCs numeral hotkeys and quicksave to my Elite controller paddles.

ISee

Damn that's some sexy IQ, downsampling plus TAA doing some work. I can't believe I didn't like TAA before this, but it just makes everything so smooth.

I'm also really beginning to like TAA, but to be fair I'm also using lumasharpen here (slightly).

Widge

The game isn't running well for me, it's locked at 1080p 60fps on Ultra but super randomly the game will chug down to 40fps then what seems like 15-20fps for a couple seconds and then shoot back to 60fps.

Yes, this is possibly more of an accurate description as to what I get.

I feel the game can sometimes run spectacularly, then sometimes become really sluggish.

bobeth

It really is incredible, minus the drawbacks. You can pan on foliage without any shimmering, something your brain is not accustomed to after all these years of 3d gaming..

belmonkey

I'm also really beginning to like TAA, but to be fair I'm also using lumasharpen here (slightly).

I've never had much of a chance to try it in games, but I'm even liking TAA at 900p. It's having the shimmering gone now.

Unrelated, my game seems to crash every like 10-15 min or so. Not sure if it had anything to do with any mods I have for sure. All I know is that I'm probably at the VRAM limit of my GPU.

I've never had much of a chance to try it in games, but I'm even liking TAA at 900p. It's having the shimmering gone now.

Unrelated, my game seems to crash every like 10-15 min or so. Not sure if it had anything to do with any mods I have for sure. All I know is that I'm probably at the VRAM limit of my GPU.

Same here, game seems a lot more stable running with no mods at all for me. (I'm running with just 4 GB though so what happens to me isn't probably worth much)

I think I'll probably check out mods again after a month or so. I don't feel like running into stability issues.

As for VRAM, at Ultra settings the game seems to use almost 2.8 GB of VRAM at peak on my 970 while only appearing stutter slightly while it's trying to load new areas outdoors, again probably my system RAM.

Patchy

Banned
jVPBSU3.jpg

Any way to fix the muddy ground textures in the middle of my screenshot? Always that distance away as well, either side renders fine...

Any ini tweaks to fix this?

Game runs around 50 fps on average at 3440x1440p
970 gigabyte g1
i5-4670k at 4.5 ghz
8gb ram

I hadn't actually played skyrim because I kept putting it off so I thought with the remaster Id finally play it since I'm kinda lazy when it comes to mods but boy outside of the lighting the game really does look kinda underwhelming. I had the original skyrim set up with some mods that I compiled years ago. Yes I'm one of those people who mods shit and then doesn't play them. Even with year old mods the original looked better but what I really liked was that it performed noticeably better as well. So i decided to say fuck it and mod the crap out of the original and even though enb brings me to an average of 30 fps I think I'll just play the original modded at 30 fps rather then wait for the special edition to get better support. Hell even with the game modded but no ENB installed I still have better performance over the remastered version. Besides with mods my performance will likely drop down even lower in performance anyways. I would of liked to have compared the 2 in screen shots but of course the remastered edition doesn't properly support ultrawide and i can't take screen shots in game or even tab out. So instead I'll just leave this end result of what the original skyrim with mods i ended up choosing instead of the remastered version.

pj7IiUP.jpg

R8lRoPf.jpg

Durante

I'm happy that people are finally coming around to the idea that well-implemented TAA is a good thing.

Too bad it doesn't work for VR :(

Angelina

Banned
jVPBSU3.jpg

Any way to fix the muddy ground textures in the middle of my screenshot? Always that distance away as well, either side renders fine...

Any ini tweaks to fix this?

I'd say u grids but they can break events etc 7 should be safe from default 5 tho

Top Bottom