• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Zemm

The music, voice work and card art are 10/10. The main reason I want new cards badly is for more deck variety, but having new card art is also a big reason. I really hope they can sort out the optimization for premium cards because some of those look so good.

I gave this a go the other day, but it's just not for me. I like how in other card games, your attacks feel impactful, with a real physical impact on your opponent,but you don't get that from Gwent.

AndersK

If you forego monters, i feel like the meta is suffienctly diverse. I climbed to rank 18 with discard bran without queensguard. Besides monsters, i met Dashguaard, ST Control, Radovid control, Queensguard, Foltest 37 and the occasional reveal. If only they tweaked some numbers from factions other than monsters to bring them closer, i think the state of the game seems healtyh.

Edit: finished with ranked for sure now, tho. All I really want is 400 dust for rank 20, but I can't be arsed/skilled enough to do it. I just wanna troll monsters with mah whale

My Discard Skellige deck was ripping people apart on ranked today. Went from Rank 13-16 and lost maybe 3-4 times during the climb. Think a lot of it is that the more competitive players have been climbing a lot higher, had taken a couple of weeks off and came back to come across a lot of weirder / non-competitive decks on the way up.

Yep, monster tokens is the deck to grind. Literally started playing it in Ranked tonight, went from 4k to 4.2k, from position 10000+ to about 900 on the ladder with a 12-2 record.

It really is all about the meta. Panda's hybrid consume/weather list is super popular now, but a more traditional Triss Butt/Yen list overpowers it easily.

Zemm

Weather is still really good which blows my mind when I think of how it used to be.

Game is super boring right now with all the monsters. Those new cards and patch can't come quick enough.

AndersK

Almost no one uses the card, but Yen Conj. is a hard counter to that deck, esp. if played with renew.

I love it. Coolest premium too! (Thereabouts).

I use it in that Whaleboy Lugos deck. Absolutely trolls the fuck out of triss monsters. Or any token deck really. It's quite fun!

JustinBB7

Long hours at work for a while so I didn't play for like 3 days, feels kinda refreshing as well. I always want to play for the dailies, not playing for a while kicked me off from that and makes me enjoy the game more. I had the same with Hearthstone, had to do dailies, but I haven't played HS for months now and it feels amazing.

I love Gwent though, it's just the daily grind that can put you off. Played a bunch of games this weekend and stopped after first daily and that is a lot more enjoyable so I won't get stuck in the must play for daily routine.

Played this 27 cards ST deck in casual and went 3-0 yesterday, moved to ranked today and went 2-2, one loss was by 1 point. Super fun deck. http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/26333-tragic-star-27-card-combo-hoog

Before that I only played a QG deck that I actually have a very high win % with, but I just wanted something else. It's another downfall of the game sometimes. Wanna win in ranked so you play the deck you win a lot with. Variety and less playing makes me enjoy the game more. Seems the meta is still varying a lot actually. Didn't see monsters this weekend I think.

hollomat

Banned
This game is way too generous for F2P and I fear for the long term. I've never put any money into the game and I already have enough scrap to craft a full collection due to CDOD offering full scrap for any nerfed cards. I never mill a card unless it's nerfed and when the nerfs happen I always have 7 or 8 of each common to nerf.

This game is way too generous for F2P and I fear for the long term. I've never put any money into the game and I already have enough scrap to craft a full collection due to CDOD offering full scrap for any nerfed cards. I never mill a card unless it's nerfed and when the nerfs happen I always have 7 or 8 of each common to nerf.

Those premium animations though..It's one of the things that made me truly fall in love with the game and why I wanted to support them.

Finally hit Rank 18. Will probably be my ceiling unless I really dedicate more time.

Yeah just broke into Rank 18 myself. Definitely seems easier to climb these days but I'm really stretching the effectiveness of my deck. Looking forward to seeing some of the new cards leaked from the event to shake things up a bit.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah just broke into Rank 18 myself. Definitely seems easier to climb these days but I'm really stretching the effectiveness of my deck. Looking forward to seeing some of the new cards leaked from the event to shake things up a bit.

You're not imagining things it IS easier to climb ranks now. They redid the matchmaking such that you gain MANY more points than you lose when playing ranked at the lower ranks.

I hit 16 recently and gain about 25-40 MMR from wins, and lose only ~15 or less for a loss. So that at least means it is much easier to gain ranks than lose them. Supposedly this evens out much more at higher ranks, but I haven't seen that yet.

You're not imagining things it IS easier to climb ranks now. They redid the matchmaking such that you gain MANY more points than you lose when playing ranked at the lower ranks.

I hit 16 recently and gain about 25-40 MMR from wins, and lose only ~15 or less for a loss. So that at least means it is much easier to gain ranks than lose them. Supposedly this evens out much more at higher ranks, but I haven't seen that yet.

It's supposed to start really ramping up 4k MMR. There's a looot of people stuck in the 4300-ish range finding it hard to get to the last rank threshold of 4.5k MMR.

frontovik

Banned
I always feel a tad tense when my opponent activates Grave Hag as a finisher and I'm unable to/don't have a locking card.

... but it's such a relief when it fails to boost significantly when I have board control.

Also, it seems CDPR will only release 8 new cards for the next season.. I would've liked more, but that's a decent amount.

JustinBB7

I always feel a tad tense when my opponent activates Grave Hag as a finisher and I'm unable to/don't have a locking card.

... but it's such a relief when it fails to boost significantly when I have board control.

Also, it seems CDPR will only release 8 new cards for the next season.. I would've liked more, but that's a decent amount.

They only revealed 8, there should be 20 total.

Finalow

yeah the game is getting stale but the next patch should improve things. new cards and possibly a campaign? Or at least new features.

haven't played much ranked but I managed to get close to 4k already, which doesn't feel like an accomplishment at all since people close to this mmr still make huge mistakes and give me free wins.
it sort of makes sense though considering there are almost 10k players at that mmr now, and you can blame this new mmr system for that.

Wagram

Why are they allowing 30+ single card swings with Queenguards? There's virtually no counter to this shit. All it takes is a single bronze too. C'mon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why are they allowing 30+ single card swings with Queenguards? There's virtually no counter to this shit. All it takes is a single bronze too. C'mon.

There are actually some crippling counters to QG though it depends what you play. Nilf and Monsters can graveyard hate well, it's actually more susceptible to counters than most archetypes.

The really good SK discard being used right now actually doesn't seem to use QG at all anymore.

City 17

Most QG decks are too focused on buffing the QGs, as a result, they are lacking in sheer power, and while they can have big swings each round, they're always suspect to getting 2-0'ed since there isn't much that they can do after reviving the QGs in the 2nd (or sometimes going to the 3rd without a reviver).

Finalow

^ pretty much.

the best SK discard deck at the moment isn't running QG at all. one of the reasons is the popularity of Monsters and also Caretaker.

Zakalwe

Banned
Managed to hit 4k.

I got to level 18 with two of my own decks. Which means they're pretty much standard with a few tweaks as there's not much room for creative deck building now we understand what really works.

Deck one - Ciri Dash and SK Discard set up, pretty basic. I sometimes removed one ship and Svaringe for a Shackles/Scorch combo.

Deck two - Spy banishment deck, sometimes swapped out a few cards for Pikemen.

From 18 to 19 I struggled a lot, ended up trying the SK Discard deck that's popular. Did well, but couldn't push over the hump. Ended up building a consume deck to try for the first time and managed to make it.

-

Over 4k I started seeing a /lot/ of consume counters, mainly SK Axe variants. Not sure what to run from here.

I don't have the golds to make castles or elves work right now so I'm stuck bouncing between Monsters, Pirates, and Spies. I have a weather monster deck that's doing well but I don't like how it plays. I really want to make NG work without resorting to reveal... anyone running anything?

Zemm

No patch on august 8th so probably no patch before gamescom it seems. What a ridiculous patch schedule that is, no wonder this thread is dead, and the game must be tanking players at this point. Even Blizzard who are notoriously slow at making changes are keeping things fresh more than Gwent right now. I wonder if they don't have the manpower, which they should fix, or if the console certification is slowing them right down. Either way it's not good for the game.

hoggert

Game crashed to desktop after a win and I lost ~150mmr and the results of a decent keg opening. I can't handle the salt ;_;

Sotha Sil

When you know you fucked up

CSiyEVY.jpg

frontovik

Banned
I've just realized that there were a few times I could have won a match through roping instead of passing my turn. I had the mentality that every card should be played.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest I've never thought about that but I'm sure there are points where that is the best decision.

Decks that get bonuses from discarding cards specifically WANT to rope for this reason. Skellige has a card that does that I think. It can be optimal to save that scorch till last so you can rope and discard it to get the extra +1 or whatever instead of killing your own stuff.

Sorian

Banned
Surprised no one else posted it but the season also ends the 27th.

They are doing a special ladder for next season if you broke 4200 MMR (no real details) and your MMR will be cut by 1/3 to give you your new starting MMR for next season. Going to try to spend the next week trying to break into rank 21. I'm about 200 MMR off but it's rough.

Edit: That special ladder is if you ever broke 4200 by the way, not where you are at at the end of the season like everything else. That said, the dev that clarified on reddit was using rank 20 and 21 as the gauge so the press release may be wrong and they meant 4250? I'm unclear on it. People talk about it down in the comments below the article above.

JustinBB7

Yea I'm looking forward to the new stuff. I'm at like 3720 mmr or something so don't know if I'll try to push for 4200, haven't played much lately because I've just had no time and I'm playing a lot of PUBG when I do have time.

I'll go for that 4200 special ladder next season when I have more time. Also I still missed a lot of cards this season, mainly monsters which I just ignored, and it turned out to be the best faction lol.

Musan

I broke into Rank 20 yesterday, feels good to get that out of the way. I haven't been playing as much as well, but that is more due to being busier lately. I still find Gwent fun, but I'll play it here and there to not burn out.

Ooof, been trying to climb since they announced the season end but constantly fluctuating around 4.2k. I guess that's really where I am skill relative wise to everyone. Need an anti-Dagon decklist, but I think it's actually pretty hard since there's a couple of Dagon variants running around ( Swarm tokens, midrange, frost variants etc).

JustinBB7

Ooof, been trying to climb since they announced the season end but constantly fluctuating around 4.2k. I guess that's really where I am skill relative wise to everyone. Need an anti-Dagon decklist, but I think it's actually pretty hard since there's a couple of Dagon variants running around ( Swarm tokens, midrange, frost variants etc).

Yea I don't play as much but I do feel the game is pretty balanced at this point. I don't even see that many monsters anymore, and all kinds of different decks. Monsters are still a bit more seen than others overall though I suppose but I like where the game is at. It's just that we really want some new stuff.

I won't make 4.2k this season though unfortunatly, past few weeks only had time in weekends really. So I'll end at like 3.8 or 3.9. But I don't care as much like I used too, since I got top 1000 last season haha.

JustinBB7

Single player teaser, looks amazing:

https://youtu.be/vW_4Zp2zllo

Some leaders changed too.

Brouver Hoog (4): Play one silver unit or a bronze dwarf from your deck. Shuffle the others back.

Emhyr (6): Play one card from your hand, then take one allied bronze or silver unit back to your hand.

Eredin (4): Generate one Wild Hunt bronze unit.

Harald (7): Damage the weakest enemy unit on the opposing row by 1 each turn at the start of your turn, ignoring armor.

Radovid (5): the same as before, but he has the Crewman 1 tag now.

Also Gwent Masters:

https://www.gog.com/news/gwent_masters_tournament_announced

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
All the esports info looks nice. They are keeping the esports-y competitive ladder separate from the normal one which I like. It means I can keep screwing around in the normal ladder without worry.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There seems like a TON of giant changes coming with this, like golds apparently being vulnerable now.

Top Bottom