• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
welp, the garbage truck showed up and got rid of all the crap.

X9amlwE.png

JustinBB7

Swim's dwarves deck seems to be really good right now, the game has lesser tools than before to punish row stacking buffs.

Yea went 1-0 last night and 3-0 today. So gonna stop with that for the day since all the losses recently were so soul crushing I'll take a 3-0 day for 1 daily now lol. Also put me back up above 50/50 wins. I was using his Nilfgaard deck he made first for new patch but that didn't work at all for me.

AndersK

Yeah, had a go at the dorfabuff deck from swim. Shit. Everything is entirely telegraphed and even when they know when to Igni and when to lock...you just don't care. It is that good. It'll probably be figure out sooner or later, but i have to be impressed by the complete indifference you have to the opponents gameplan. You dont seek to interact at all, a far cry from the axe meta.

JustinBB7

Yeah, had a go at the dorfabuff deck from swim. Shit. Everything is entirely telegraphed and even when they know when to Igni and when to lock...you just don't care. It is that good. It'll probably be figure out sooner or later, but i have to be impressed by the complete indifference you have to the opponents gameplan. You dont seek to interact at all, a far cry from the axe meta.

Last night I survived a peter resetting a dwarf fully and an auckes locking 2 of them. I just buffed them up again and used the double adrenaline rush. It's really really strong.

Awesome. Won a ranked match, showed me getting enough points to rank up, but didn't actually switch over, then the game locked up and going back it, it shows my MMR and rank didn't change.

They hit calveit again? And again in such a bad way. You don't even know what is at the top of your deck now because it could be a gold card. No more reliable spying aspect to this leader... which I thought was the whole point of the faction.

hollomat

Banned
For some reason you get full scraps for milling Calveit. I thought they had said that they weren't going to give full scraps for milling leaders?

Ivellios

Just started playing this game last week, its really fun! Im currently level 6.

I have a question: is there a good guide somewhere that indicates the best cards for each faction? i dont want to spend my hard earned scrap on weaker cards.

Oh my god, why has no one thought to combine Johnny with Ciri Dash. On a Discard archetype it basically gives you free golds while buffing your most powerful single unit. I'm loving this deck.

Wagram

How exactly do Rank points work now? I'm shooting to the sky with them.

I really like my new NR deck (no, not some net deck copy paste bullshit, either).

It's varied, makes you think. I like it.

Musan

Somehow, monsters are still OP. Both weathers and consume.

Bloody Baron/Radovid seems viable as a fun deck.

edit: OK, it is really fun, hits that Spell ST itch. a bit vulnerable to milling though, Sarah helps with that though.

Zemm

Monsters are pretty much indestructible. Whatever nerf you throw at them,they just come back stronger. At least they aren't as annoying to play against as axemen.

City 17

Oh my god, why has no one thought to combine Johnny with Ciri Dash. On a Discard archetype it basically gives you free golds while buffing your most powerful single unit. I'm loving this deck.

Have done it long ago, extra gold is good but Dash is not that good, it's sometimes called Ciri Trash. You do lots and lots of discard and on average she might reach 16 or sth (or depending on the draw you might not get it back in your hand), while Hjalmar used to be much better than that, though with the nerfs to both him and weather (when combined used to get you free 25 from Hjalmar) Dash might look better than before.

hollomat

Banned
August is the worst possible time for them to release the new cards since it's the same time as the new hearthstone expansion. Elder scrolls legends did the right way releasing their expansion in late June, just when everyone was getting bored of the hearthstone post Un'Goro meta.

Zemm

I feel like they should just be dropping cards in every week or two, not a lot but around 10 or so. Just make loads, try to balance them, release them and see what sticks and what doesn't. Yeah some stuff will be funky but it's in beta so now is the best time. I have every card I need and still have 26k dust and I've 'only' spent £90 on the game. There's just not enough cards to have much variety. If they don't have the resources for this then that's fair enough.

Pretty much hit my ceiling trying to get to level 12/13.

All Im seeing is monster consume decks, and Im struggling against like 3 different playstyles in one.

One is consuming, the other is graveyard stealing, the other is gold spies, then there's the spider spawning when consumed, and there are nekkers

Any tips?

Musan

I personally don't mind dumping a bunch of cards at periodic installments. Gives time for a meta to develop, with people developing new decks and tech options.

NewLib

Banned
Pretty much hit my ceiling trying to get to level 12/13.

All Im seeing is monster consume decks, and Im struggling against like 3 different playstyles in one.

One is consuming, the other is graveyard stealing, the other is gold spies, then there's the spider spawning when consumed, and there are nekkers

Any tips?

I find that gold weather cards really but a dent in consume decks as they generally have their monsters spread out. Also consume decks require some obvious set up. You can slow him down by doing damage to his set up cards or just make him burn through most of his set up cards in a turn.

Burning through ranks right now with my Discard Skellige. Not sure if the Johnny/Dash play was worth it when all was said and done but the core of the deck has gotten me to Rank 13 from 11 just today. Starting to see a lot more in the way of Mardromes to counter my discard pirates so starting to think I may need to switch to Queensguard but Dash(and crafting Coral frankly, thing easily hits 20+ value a match) has done a lot to make my little discard deck into something competitive.

Zemm

I'm having some success against all decks with a NG reveal I made and have been adjusting. It's not blowing any faction away but it's at 55-60% for all factions right now.

I've also won a few games and haven't received ranking points, not even just a visual bug, they've just not been given to me which is really annoying when you're on the verge of ranking up.

AndersK

Fiiiiinally rank 18. Jeeez. Got into a rhythm with 5 Mmr to rank-up, lost to the final boss and next opponent, won, 5 Mmr from rank-up, repeat 4 times. One of the losses was to Rado-spell? Lol. Nothing but removal and Villen, with renew.

Meta seems cool so far. Been having succes with Buffadorf, letho/d-bomb-reveal, and bamboozle ambush ST.

Vs. Monster is a toss-up, strong deck, but doesn't seem entirely unfair. Grave hag has fucked me so many times, though. Henselts reaver/Sargent army seems good as well.
The letho reveal completely kills swims dorfs. 6-0 vs them.

AndersK

The teching against dwarfs is insane right now lmao. Seeing Emhyr for double auckes/peters now. Emhyr finally played!

I've done the same. Too bad i'm not seing enough of them at 3300 mmr to make it entirely worth it. Ranked is stressfull, i think i've gotten what i wanted out of it. 15 kegs for season rewards seems nice enough. I'm not good enough to hit the next portrait, i think.

Not saying Auckes is bad, he just has stiff competition, and having to drop a 6 power silver feels bad too often when there's nothing to lock.

I've also come to both hate and Love Serrit and Sweers. God damn, Nilf has the best silvers by a mile, man.

Zemm

Nothing seems crazy overpowered right now. I've been farming consume monsters with NG and I'm sure those decks are farming something because there's so many of them. SK seems to be doing fine with discard decks, ST with dwarves, NR with something I don't know what it's called because fuck playinh that boring faction. Bit of everything being played.

AndersK

Nothing seems crazy overpowered right now. I've been farming consume monsters with NG and I'm sure those decks are farming something because there's so many of them. SK seems to be doing fine with discard decks, ST with dwarves, NR with something I don't know what it's called because fuck playinh that boring faction. Bit of everything being played.

They really improved the meta. I've even seen Dagon Weather decks with caranthir. Nobody runs clears, more or less. Weather get decent value without being oppresive, and alings rows beautifully for Igni or Scrorch. I even matched against a Bran who tried to make Axemen work. It didn't fall flat on its face, even though he didn't win.

They really improved the meta. I've even seen Dagon Weather decks with caranthir. Nobody runs clears, more or less. Weather get decent value without being oppresive, and alings rows beautifully for Igni or Scrorch. I even matched against a Bran who tried to make Axemen work. It didn't fall flat on its face, even though he didn't win.

To be fair, it's been, what 3 days since the patch? The meta hasn't settled yet. I'm sure some deck will rise to become the meta leader, and maybe then we'll see more people complain about that oppressive deck :p

I actually dislike CDPR's tendency to move away from strong answer cards; e.g. Savage Bear killing medics before they rez units, Frost heavily punishing row stacking. Maybe I'm just the type of gamer that likes those kind of cards, and there are more than enough gamers who prefer the lack of them, so it's better for the long term health of the game if Gwent moves away from them.

To be fair, it's been, what 3 days since the patch? The meta hasn't settled yet. I'm sure some deck will rise to become the meta leader, and maybe then we'll see more people complain about that oppressive deck :p

I actually dislike CDPR's tendency to move away from strong answer cards; e.g. Savage Bear killing medics before they rez units, Frost heavily punishing row stacking. Maybe I'm just the type of gamer that likes those kind of cards, and there are more than enough gamers who prefer the lack of them, so it's better for the long term health of the game if Gwent moves away from them.

Strong cards are fine, but bear killing medics before they do anything, along with every 1 power card, is too much for a bronze. They did it because it was unbalanced as hell.

Strong cards are fine, but bear killing medics before they do anything, along with every 1 power card, is too much for a bronze. They did it because it was unbalanced as hell.

Not strong cards, strong *answer* cards. Cards you play because you think the meta is tilted towards one way so you run them to prey on the meta. For example: if they changed savage bear to 2-3 strength but still kept the "kill units before their deploy effect" I'd still play them if I thought SK Priestesses or NG Medics were rampant. Maedrome is another example of a strong answer card: it harshly punishes Ekimara.

Dwarves deck right now I feel is strong because of a lack of strong answers. Sure, Letho + DBomb is one, (Just DBomb by itself tends to be bad though :/ ), Lacerate is kind of another strong answer, but generally it's hard to punish.

What NG are you playing? I'm going reveal and I'm getting curb stomped. It's kind of a tier 3 deck imo.

Not strong cards, strong *answer* cards. Cards you play because you think the meta is tilted towards one way so you run them to prey on the meta. For example: if they changed savage bear to 2-3 strength but still kept the "kill units before their deploy effect" I'd still play them if I thought SK Priestesses or NG Medics were rampant. Maedrome is another example of a strong answer card: it harshly punishes Ekimara.

Dwarves deck right now I feel is strong because of a lack of strong answers. Sure, Letho + DBomb is one, (Just DBomb by itself tends to be bad though :/ ), Lacerate is kind of another strong answer, but generally it's hard to punish.

Strong cards includes *answer* cards.

Zemm

What NG are you playing? I'm going reveal and I'm getting curb stomped. It's kind of a tier 3 deck imo.

NG reveal with letho. I've tried pretty much all the silvers and golds in reveal and letho is just the best right now. Silver wise I found Serrit and Sweers mostly useless so those two have been dropped for now too. If I remember to take a screenshot later I will. It's currently 80% Vs monsters and 55+ against everything else, but monsters is by far the most I've played against.

JustinBB7

Yea I was trying out merchants "anti-meta" queensgaard deck. He said it works against dwarfs and pretty much everything else, besides consume monsters. I played like 5 consume monsters in a row the second I tried it lol. Already sick of monsters again.

Naar

In less than 24 hours I went from rank 11 to 15 and went from top 50,000 to top 10,000

I know they changed stuff in ranked, but was I supposed to reach that high so quickly?

Yea I was trying out merchants "anti-meta" queensgaard deck. He said it works against dwarfs and pretty much everything else, besides consume monsters. I played like 5 consume monsters in a row the second I tried it lol. Already sick of monsters again.

While consume is great against QG, the biggest issue I have with consume is arachas behemoth. Why they made that card outside of alzurs is beyond me. The only card that can outright kill it with damage is Bonhart.

Yea you can kill it with alzurs after it puts anywhere from 3-5 arachas on the board. But at that point it just puts you wayyy behind tempo. Lacerate on the arachas will put you behind tempo as well, especially if he just spawns more of them the following turn.

I have no idea why cdpr thought that card would be okay after the weather nerfs.

frontovik

Banned
In less than 24 hours I went from rank 11 to 15 and went from top 50,000 to top 10,000

I know they changed stuff in ranked, but was I supposed to reach that high so quickly?
It is a very welcomed change. You get +50 for wins, and -5 roughly for defeats. It changes as you move higher up the leaderboard though.

Wagram

I think they've made it clear that they only care about the top 1,000 for competitive ranked play. Everyone else can play to achieve the seasonal rewards. It's not a bad change honestly.

I think they've made it clear that they only care about the top 1,000 for competitive ranked play. Everyone else can play to achieve the seasonal rewards. It's not a bad change honestly.

Heh... not sure I can agree with them because it makes rank feel meaningless if your gains are that much higher than losses. I sorta liked the way they had it. It might have been harder to rank up but when you did it's because you played very well

Zemm

It's fine imo, it's kind of like HS where only legend matters and even then it's only the top 100 legend. You want people to keep playing and as long as they can make progress for a while, say up to rank 17 or so then that's good. It makes people feel good, they keep playing, but the ranks that matter are above that.

It's fine imo, it's kind of like HS where only legend matters and even then it's only the top 100 legend. You want people to keep playing and as long as they can make progress for a while, say up to rank 17 or so then that's good. It makes people feel good, they keep playing, but the ranks that matter are above that.

But in hearthstone your gains and losses are roughly the same. Only when you get a 3 or greater winstreak going do your gains multiply and only gets you to rank 5 max. In fact, most of the player base, like 75% are rank 15 and up, so it's not really like HS at all in that respect.

HS devs are actually planning on reworking ladder sometime to get rid of the bloat at low ranks.

Top Bottom