• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really worth watching imo. The only new bit of info revealed was that Sony also complained/threatened to pull advertising over their Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction review in Oct 07 (pre-Kane & Lynch fiasco). Everything else was stuff we already knew.

Thanks, but I'll be the judge of that. I like Jeff and John's personalities, so seeing them bullshit about the topic is something I'd like to watch!

~Kinggi~

Banned
izbmvO27vgOlX.gif

This will get great use when things turn to shit.

FStop7

Banned
Never thought i'd see the day GB became total sellouts, but i guess money does that to everyone. I couldnt help but think "bullshit" on constant loop watching Jeff on the stream this afternoon. That was hilarious. Credibility in the toilet.GIF!

Um. I doubt this was really a decision they made. It was Shelby Bonnie who sold the company.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Um. I doubt this was really a decision they made. It was Shelby Bonnie who sold the company.

You make it sound like some backroom decision that the GB guys were oblivious to. Jeff ranted on this afternoon about how this was a long time coming and oh boy things sure are great and what a massive secret this was!

Im more put off by an overwhelmingly positive attitude toward something that clearly will mean things are for the worse.

And fuck gamespot. Good god i have successfully managed to stay away from there for years and now they are telling me im getting a damn total access account cause i pay at giantbomb.

Well shit, guess that makes my decision to cancel so much easier!

Izick

I honestly don't know what to think.

Half of me thinks that this is legit, and Jeff really thinks that Gamespot is going to let them do their own thing and make Giant Bomb better, and then another half of me thinks that this was out of Jeff's hands, and he thinks this is kinda shit, but he has to make do.

Same thing goes for people in this thread. I think some people are being a bit to pessimistic to soon, but then I think a lot of other people are too attached to GB to look at this rationally, and realize that this could perhaps be a bad idea.

FStop7

Banned
I think the obvious. GB is putting on a brave face and making the best of a shit situation. Shelby Bonnie cut the cord and sold them to his former CNET associates. Part of the deal is that Gamespot gets some sorely needed image rehabilitation.

It's what happens when the marketeers and creepy yes men start to meddle that matters. With a company like Viacom that is just inescapable. Some insecure low level executive with a tiny dick and a big ego is going to start fucking with things in order put himself over with the higher ups.

If/when things go south I hope the GB crew self starts something new, independent of bzinzzmens. I'll have cash ready and waiting to donate if that happens.

You make it sound like some backroom decision that the GB guys were oblivious to. Jeff ranted on this afternoon about how this was a long time coming and oh boy things sure are great and what a massive secret this was!

Im more put off by an overwhelmingly positive attitude toward something that clearly will mean things are for the worse.

And fuck gamespot. Good god i have successfully managed to stay away from there for years and now they are telling me im getting a damn total access account cause i pay at giantbomb.

I was never even going to cancel. I subscribed basically to buy the podcast to keep it free for everyone, which was already a crummy decision, but now Whiskey media is basically breaking up. I am sad to see this end only after a couple years. Well it was good (rather, actually amazing duder) while it lasted. I don't know even how Jeff & crew can't be sore about this in the least. I mean I would be weirded out about walking in there again.

Wunder

Half of me thinks that this is legit, and Jeff really thinks that Gamespot is going to let them do their own thing and make Giant Bomb better, and then another half of me thinks that this was out of Jeff's hands, and he thinks this is kinda shit, but he has to make do.

Same thing goes for people in this thread. I think some people are being a bit to pessimistic to soon, but then I think a lot of other people are too attached to GB to look at this rationally, and realize that this could perhaps be a bad idea.

I agree wholeheartedly. We can only really tell in the next year or so how they handle everything, from day to day activities to big events like E3 and PAX. However, I would assume that CBS would want to keep this attitude that Giantbomb has and keep them separate from Gamespot. That is to say, Patrick keeps on writing his own news articles and stays away from the daily news grind, and QLs are still good and the personalities are still there. Meanwhile, Gamespot still trucks on as is and acts as their big news site, like an IGN or Kotaku, where Giantbomb remains relatively niche and cool. This could all go to shit really fast, though.

Cartman86

Banned
I was never even going to cancel. I subscribed basically to buy the podcast to keep it free for everyone, which was already a crummy decision, but now Whiskey media is basically breaking up. I am sad to see this end only after a couple years. Well it was good (rather, actually amazing duder) while it lasted. I don't know even how Jeff & crew can't be sore about this in the least. I mean I would be weirded out about walking in there again.

Here's a thought. Maybe they think what they are about to do is actually more of the same awesomeness? Sure they could be wrong, but I don't see how it's a surprise that they are excited.

Yuripaw

Banned

Thank you. I have literally avoided going to gamespot for almost 4 years since the creation of GB. I have had no desire to ever return there, and any time I happen to catch a glimpse of what kind of features they have, even though they have money backing them up, their content still sucked!

I've made a choice to stay away from sites like gamespot, ign, and kotaku. I don't like the way they do things on those sites, and I don't want to have any part of them. Now, giantbomb will forever be linked to gamespot in some way, and I am in the crowd who thinks they'll find someway to merge GB and gamespot together. Some future idiot coorperation asshole at CBSi will look at their funding and ask "Why do we have 2 websites devoted to video games? we gotta merge those divisions"

I don't think any of us who aren't happy about this are being over dramatic or anything either. As visitors of GB for as long as we have been visiting, we have a right to be concerned and upset. Look at this way...what if tomorrow you found out Neogaf forums were being merged with Gamefaqs? How willing would all of you be to accept that?

denomes

It's pretty appropriate that the This Year GFW Radio 2007 podcast just came out last week that featured their extensive discussion of Gerstmann-gate.

Izick

Hm...so I'm guessing that makes Davidson Eric Bischoff.

I agree wholeheartedly. We can only really tell in the next year or so how they handle everything, from day to day activities to big events like E3 and PAX. However, I would assume that CBS would want to keep this attitude that Giantbomb has and keep them separate from Gamespot. That is to say, Patrick keeps on writing his own news articles and stays away from the daily news grind, and QLs are still good and the personalities are still there. Meanwhile, Gamespot still trucks on as is and acts as their big news site, like an IGN or Kotaku, where Giantbomb remains relatively niche and cool. This could all go to shit really fast, though.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think that Gamespot is going to either take (for themselves) Patrick, or he'll be fired, because I don't see what use he'd be for on a personality based site.

I agree that it could go to shit super fast as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
All flash players are always all terrible, live streaming or otherwise. Do not fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Yeah but at least the video plays on the Giantbomb site and doesn't just stutter. At least I can watch the thing on TwitchTV.

I feel like the address the how pretty well but I would like to know why Whiskey Media all of a sudden decided to sell off all the sites and close down.

I guess Shelby wanted to get out and get a return on his investment so they have been looking for buyers for the last few months?

Izick

Thank you. I have literally avoided going to gamespot for almost 4 years since the creation of GB. I have had no desire to ever return there, and any time I happen to catch a glimpse of what kind of features they have, even though they have money backing them up, their content still sucked!

I've made a choice to stay away from sites like gamespot, ign, and kotaku. I don't like the way they do things on those sites, and I don't want to have any part of them. Now, giantbomb will forever be linked to gamespot in some way, and I am in the crowd who thinks they'll find someway to merge GB and gamespot together. Some future idiot coorperation asshole at CBSi will look at their funding and ask "Why do we have 2 websites devoted to video games? we gotta merge those divisions"

I don't think any of us who aren't happy about this are being over dramatic or anything either. As visitors of GB for as long as we have been visiting, we have a right to be concerned and upset. Look at this way...what if tomorrow you found out Neogaf forums were being merged with Gamefaqs? How willing would all of you be to accept that?

I think this is a completely valid opinion as well. I just think some people are being a bit overly defensive because they're attached to the site though. Most people here were there from the beginning, or at least very early on. We went there because of Jeff, and came to like it for other reasons as well. I just think that a lot of people think it's indestructible, or it can't be sullied by corporate interests. CBS doesn't fuck around. If GB isn't getting the market it wants, then they'll cut it loose, and they will fold over as much as the staff possible into Gamespot. It's a business.

I still think we should all wait it out, but the future definitely is not clear at all.

Bottom Line:

If this helps the site live a bit longer then it's a good move.

If it goes to shit then oh well it did.

If it doesn't then Giantbomb lives longer with more revenue then they were getting normally.

Gaf/Internet needs to stop focusing on the negatives only.

and in the end it's their site, they know what's best for their own shit. Jeff and Ryan are man enough to stand their ground if something they don't like happens.

Is it going to be perfect? No...nothing in life is but to expect from jump that everything that can go bad will go bad is some sad shit.

You guys must be a joy to hang out with.

Hm...so I'm guessing that makes Davidson Eric Bischoff.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think that Gamespot is going to either take (for themselves) Patrick, or he'll be fired, because I don't see what use he'd be for on a personality based site.

I agree that it could go to shit super fast as well.

You know Patrick has a personality right?

Izick

Bottom Line:

If this helps the site live a bit longer then it's a good move.

If it goes to shit then oh well it did.

If it doesn't then Giantbomb lives longer with more revenue then they were getting normally.

Gaf/Internet needs to stop focusing on the negatives only.

and in the end it's their site, they know what's best for their own shit. Jeff and Ryan are man enough to stand their ground if something they don't like happens.

Is it going to be perfect? No...nothing in life is but to expect from jump that everything that can go bad will go bad is some sad shit.

You guys must be a joy to hang out with.

I get what you're saying, but it wasn't Jeff's decision to sell the site. I think with all this, he's trying to clear the air and make the best out of the situation.

Wil people please watch this shit. Puhpuhpuhpuhpuhlleeasseeee.

Its so contrived you can tell it's been rehearsed. It makes me sick and the shit he's admitting and that smarmy cunt on the other side, yuck why would you go back after admitting that. I don't get it. Oh yeah I do - the almighty dollar.

The hell?

I get what you're saying, but it wasn't Jeff's decision to sell the site. I think with all this, he's trying to clear the air and make the best out of the situation.

Oh I'm not saying it's all sunshine and rainbow either.

It's just the countless This is the end and these guys sold out posts are really something else.

Fjordson

Yeah, it could go either way. Makes me nervous. Oh well, all I know is that I'll continue to follow GB for as long as they're able to do what they've been doing.

Going to really miss Whiskey Media as a group, though. They had a cool thing going =[

Izick

You know Patrick has a personality right?

I'm not trying to be mean, but compared to Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Dave, or even Brad, no, it's not really the same thing. People came for Jeff, then Ryan won them over, and then Vinny won them over, and then Dave won them over.

It's kind of like if you went to see a band, and they're your favorite band, and they added some new member playing on the keyboard right before the show or something. Does it add something? Yeah, probably, but you're paying for the band you came to see, not the guy on keyboard. You couldn't care less besides watching the main band.

Jintor

I'm not trying to be mean, but compared to Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Dave, or even Brad, no, it's not really the same thing. People came for Jeff, then Ryan won them over, and then Vinny won them over, and then Dave won them over.

It's kind of like if you went to see a band, and they're your favorite band, and they added some new member playing on the keyboard right before the show or something. Does it add something? Yeah, probably, but you're paying for the band you came to see, not the guy on keyboard. You couldn't care less besides watching the main band.

Noooooooooooooooooo it's pretty much the same thing.

It's kind of like if you went to see a band but they had a really damn good keyboardist now

Izick

Oh I'm not saying it's all sunshine and rainbow either.

It's just the countless This is the end and these guys sold out posts are really something else.

See, that's the fervent fanbase acting in the other way. Instead of defending Giantbomb to the death, they're pissed that Giantbomb would do anything with Gamespot, because Gamespot was seen as "the corporat, fat-cat enemy" for such a long time.

Either sides are both extreme, but I still understand them. They're both just extreme reactions because the personalities are at stake. People see these guys as their friends, right or wrong. Look at all the people on here that repeat stuff that the guys say. People are really attached to the site, and the guys, so they can't be completely logical and rational about it.

Yuripaw

Banned

lol, good analogy. It's pretty much spot on.

Wil people please watch this shit. Puhpuhpuhpuhpuhlleeasseeee.

Its so contrived you can tell it's been rehearsed. It makes me sick and the shit he's admitting and that smarmy cunt on the other side, yuck why would you go back after admitting that. I don't get it. Oh yeah I do - the almighty dollar.

That "smarmy cunt" is John Davison, who is pretty well respected in the industry and wasn't around during Gerstman-gate. Sure, it might go to shit later on, but at least the GB crew still have jobs. It sounds like it's not about the "almighty dollar" and more like thank god we have still have paychecks and can keep the site running.

Yuripaw

Banned
Giant Bomb and Gamespot's forums are not being merged, so your argument is wrong.

I never said they were being merged...but they could be. I still think giantbomb could easily be desolved into gamespot with this kind of merger. Especially with a company like CBSi calling the shots.

Also we are pretty much being told "hey guys! gamespot's alright! you shouldn't have any gripes visiting their site too, right?? right??" Fuck gamespot.

And even if they did get merged (Neogaf and Gamefaqs)...I really doubt a lot of them would last...

Our mods may not be perfect but they will ban your ass.

So think of it like that...Sure they are "merging"(They aren't) but the main focus (The main Crew Of Jeff and the peeps) are still there and should still be the same.

The fear of things changing aren't unfounded but realistically if a merger happened, it would bet the Gamespot peeps getting the axe. Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny all have seniority, they are now popular and they bring in fans. Because of that they have a bit of leverage, when it comes to how they want things done.

But hey either way, panicking over it before we even see how it goes isn't the best way to go about it. If you always expect the worse then that's a pretty sad way to live.

Cheer up, emo kids.

Dave and Drew won me over when they guested on the bombcast. Dave had some pc-ass pc conversations, and drew just talked about his old pinball machines. I was already well I love with the main 4 from the hotspot days. I was sad to see Rich Gallup leave, but vinny made a good replacement!

Top Bottom