• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Interesting. Still a little wary of all this, but that makes this move make a lot more sense.

I thought this has been known for a while. Current GS really has nothing to do with the GS from when that happened. In general gaming sites seem to have a metric funk ton of turnover.

Well as far as I'm concern this brings it full circle. I follow John Davison on Google+ and Twitter he seems to be a pretty cool guy. So I'm glad Jeff was/is vindicated.

Izick

Davidson wants this to be transparent, and make it water under the bridge, and they both agree they want everything to be transparent from here on out.

They'll be working on things together down the pipe. They're going to be at Pax, both GB and Gamespot.

Developers need alcohol to talk the way Jeff wants them to talk.

EDIT: That's it.

thatbox

Banned
I thought this has been known for a while. Current GS really has nothing to do with the GS from when that happened. In general gaming sites seem to have a metric funk ton of turnover.

There are enough generic Gamespot-style sites that you don't have to give a fuck. Gamespot lost my trust and there's no reason to even let them try to gain it back because I now go elsewhere.

Fjordson

That's a good point, but I don't know. I just haven't had a good experience when visiting any of the big name sites, so I was a little paranoid due to not knowing the details.

Gotta love how half the comments are "Hey my GS account still exists!"

My acccount is old as fuck but I am level 1 or some shit which means I still can't comment.
KuGsj.gif

JBuccCP

I'm pretty content with this now. I will miss the tested/giantbomb crossovers a lot though. And the old office had the perfect vibe. Oh well can't wait to see what they do with more monies.

FStop7

Banned

But that's just as much a concern as it is a good thing. Regime changes happen so quickly, the next group of managers might be a bunch of hacks like the guys who canned Jeff. This is why I wish they could self support so they would no longer be vulnerable to creeps and corporate lackeys.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
John Davison, head honcho of Gamespot, formerly of 1Up and Editor-in-Chief of GamePro between 2006-2008. The guy is pretty well respected and knows his shit.

I'm pretty sure he headed up GamePro in 2010 for like... 10 months or something.

This whole thing is really weird, in a good way but really weird none the less. Now, for the circle to be fully complete someone must get Rich Gallup on the phone!

Izick

Okay, I'm LttP.
What was the official explanation?

For what? Jeff's firing?

Basically it was a poor managerial staff (that's long gone from Gamespot and the industry) that didn't know, or comprehend how to handle publishers taking away ads from their site if they received an unsatisfactory score.

Jeff was "warned" about this earlier, when a Ratchet and Clank review (which he oversaw, but didn't review) happened, and was "warned" again after the Kane and Lynch review.

There was no big firing after the review. He reviewed the game, got some heat, everything cooled down, and then a few weeks later he was fired out of the blue. (around Thanksgiving)

Jeff says he loved working with the editorial staff at Gamespot, and that he wouldn't be here if he wasn't completely sure this deal was okay for them.

Will

Neo Member
But that's just as much a concern as it is a good thing. Regime changes happen so quickly, the next group might be a bunch of hacks like the guys who canned Jeff. This is why I wish they could self support so they would no longer be vulnerable to creeps and corporate lackeys.

Yeah, that's the thing. If Giant Bomb is counting on John Davison to be at Gamespot forever and be their cool Dad, they could be in trouble. Dude likes to ramble!!

Anno

Davison is one of the best and brightest in the industry. If he stays around at CBSi I think that this will be a good marriage. Also, if he could get on even one Bombcast every year that'd be pretty damned rad.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Never thought i'd see the day GB became total sellouts, but i guess money does that to everyone. I couldnt help but think "bullshit" on constant loop watching Jeff on the stream this afternoon. That was hilarious. Credibility in the toilet.GIF!

And lol Gamespot of all places, oh how rich that is.

As soon as i heard them say "Oh and yeah of course Giantbomb accounts will be transitioned over to Gamespot accounts" it really clicked for me then.

Expect total access and GB memberships to merge, the two user bases to merge, and then after a year or so the prices to go up on membership values.

Yup.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a video of the Jeff and John "Gerstmann-gate" explanation uploaded somewhere?

Raoh

It's not a terrible thing. Its better than these big companies hiring some of these blogger/fake writers/wannabejournalists.

What's been holding gaming back is that still many companies/consumerse take gaming as a childs toy, this is technically a step in the right direction.

But purists will always be the ones to suffer at the end. Gaming is the new hip hop.

I wish GiantBomb luck,

Top Bottom