• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

mcz117chief

Os3rZme.png

7yw4v6c.png

Welcome to the world of Shadow Warrior, Hiya!, where demons and killer robots run rampant and the only thing that can stop them is Wang, the man, the hero, the legend!
And before we start, put on some proper music to get you through this killer OT. I picked some pieces from the classic game as well as from the recent remake from 2013.
Now you are ready to begin your journey into the fantastic world of Shadow Warrior. This is my first OT I have done by my lonesome so I hope you will enjoy it.
Good luck and have fun :)

CGxfBQq.png

Who is Lo Wang you ask? Well he is a bad enough dude to have stopped a demonic invasion of our realm once already with nothing but his revolver, dual uzis, quad-
barreled shotgun, flamethrower, rocket launcher, high-powered crossbow with explosive bolts and the legendary, ancient slaying sword Nobitsura Kage! Unfortunately after
Lo Wang destroyed the ancients in the shadow Realm all hell broke loose (literally). Now the two worlds collided and demons are a common sight in our realm.

This picture below is actually Earth.

rmFtiL1.png

But Lo Wang wasn't always the legend he is today. Back in the days he was under the employment of Orochi Zilla.
You think that's bad? Well it gets worse, so hold onto your pants.

Under Zilla Lo Wang was a hired gun with an attitude, a lot of money and reputation. He used to have it all, guns, dosh, his own bat cave, but then he fucked up and saved
the world. During this adventure he got into conflict with Zilla which resulted in Wang's resignation. The thing is that Zilla wanted to give the Nobitsura Kage back to Enra,
ruler of Shadow Realm, to enslave the world (Zilla actually believed Enra would keep him around as his adjutant or something, lol). Lo Wang didn't like that idea very much
and after a fierce battle with Zilla, who got augmented by Enra, Lo Wang cut Zilla's arm off. Zilla managed to escape and used his massive wealth and research he has done
on Shadow Realm to build his own empire filled with killer robots, advanced vacuum robots and other kind of robots that you can surely imagine *wink wink*.

LvYc0QY.png

A place with all the demons and shit like ancient demigods, lava rivers, big tentacles (probably), stones defying gravity and severed talking heads. It also looks all
Chinese/Japanese like for some reason. All you need to know is that half of your enemies comes from there.

NVtHsFs.png

That is where the other half of your enemies comes from. Lots of neon lights, robots and cybernetically augmented demons that need a LOT more breathing holes.

N2IOYiO.png

71e6CBJ.gif

Holy pile of dynamite!

You said it! Shadow Warrior 2 is, just like other Shadow Warrior games, a wangtastic FPS game for the ages with guts, blood and epic one liners EVERYWHERE. Shadow
Warrior doesn't focus on shooting all the time but makes melee and integral and fun part of the game. Swords, chainsaws, claws and many many more melee weapons are
introduced in Shadow Warrior 2 just in case you got bored with only rocking the sword for 19 years. Also, you don't have to worry about some stupid two weapons limit, you
can have up to 9 weapons ready on your weapons wheel / keys and the rest are safe in your inventory.

The game still follows a linear story just like the previous games but some of the new or improved features include:

• side quests
  • loot system
  • tile based map generation
  • hub
  • dozens of new weapons (70 in total)
  • many more spells (including invisibility)
  • COOP action for up to 4 players
  • upgrade system that adds elemental damage to weapons

That sounds wicked sick! What about the loot system?

The loot system works similarly to the ones in Diablo or Borderlands, which means that there are ancient Chinese secrets in the world that drop weapons for Lo Wang to pick
up and use. Some enemies can also drop weapons after a bit of convincing.

Mate, I heard that the maps are procedurally generated, what's up with that?

Well you heard wrong, this isn't No Wang's Sky. The maps are hand crafted like in other linear FPS except that individual sections of the map are used as tiles and have many
variations that can change things like weather or building and enemy placement. The maps will still look organic so you don't have to worry about maps not making sense.

What about the health system? Classic auto regen bullshit?

Nope, you get your classic 100 hp at the start and you can either use your Ki to heal to pick up health kits in the world or from inside of your enemy's guts.

I love the gore in the 2013 version. Is this game's gore as good?

No, I'm sorry to tell you that it isn't...it it actually a LOT BETTER. Now it works like in Metal Gear rising, slicin'n'dicin is accurately calculated in relation to where you hit your
enemies.

SwQGafd.gif

What about combat arenas? How vertical are they? Can I jump around like a crazy monkey shooting arrows left and right?

The game now features a lot more verticality. Fall damage has been removed and players can now climb buildings and jump from rooftop to rooftop to completely blindside
their opponents. Assassination side quests can, for example, be completed extremely quickly by combining Lo Wang's agility and his new sneaking ninpo. Not all maps are
this way though.

I hate those wacky numbers when I hit someone. Can I disable that? Actually can I disable the whole HUD if I want to take some scenic shots?

Yes you can do both. The HUD can be customise and even the FOV can be changed.

xsk3CGQ.png

Shadow Warrior 2 now also features a 4 player coop option that allows players to team up and play both the campaign and the side missions together. Coop multiplayer
allows players to customise their characters including gender and weapon and armour skins. Coop on pc is only available through online. It is, however, possible for
GOG and Steam players to play together.

BMIZayL.png

Since the game isn't released yet then pretty much all of the images and videos online are of the older versions of the game so remember that these don't represent the final
game. Once the game releases I will update this section with proper media.

Angry Joe's gameplay session

w8bvDfZ.png

On the 13th of October the game will be released on PCs but a console port is planned for early 2017.

Below are links to trusted sites where you can buy the game.

| Price: 36.99€ / $39.99| Steam | GOG | Devolver store

There is also a special edition available with a soundtrack, cosmetic items and a digital artbook for 46.96€ / $52.39.

Shadow_Warrior_2_Deluxe_Banner.png

Laced Records is offering a limited run of Shadow Warrior 2 OST vinyls, you can buy them here.

shadowwarrior2mockupgold-2-e1474899007601.jpg

wpOIGis.png

Official Wang site here

PC performance thread

c81mOeN.png

Be sure to check out the original Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior 2013 too! The Redux of the original contains all the DLC and the 2013 remake is on 90% discount
quite often on Steam.

There are 6 ancient Chinese secrets somewhere in this OT (5 of them are links and one is hidden in text), and a booby trap. There is one rule though, don't use the quote
function to find them. If you do, you are a scumbag and you know it. The first person who discovers all 6 ancient Chinese secrets and PMs me what they are will get a
multiplayer kunoichi costume dlc steam code :)

The code has been claimed by CrunchyFrog!

OT approved by More_Badass "Looks good!"

epmode

I really don't know what to think about this one. I want it to be great but the procedural level design and the focus on loot has me waiting for reviews.

Speaking of which, is there a review embargo or something?

mcz117chief

I really don't know what to think about this one. I want it to be great but the procedural level design and the focus on loot has me waiting for reviews.

Speaking of which, is there a review embargo or something?

Only on reviews but gameplay can be shown.

I'm a little worried about the procedural aspect of this, but I suspect the core mechanics will make whatever they've got here great. I preordered the deluxe version or whatever they called it.

It isn't actually procedural in a classic sense. Read one of the articles in the OT that talks about them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One piece of information you might want to add since I had forgotten and looked to see if it was there (but it wasn't) is how many players can play co-op together.

However, a good OP and I'm interested in the game, but in shame though I own the original I have not played it yet. Sure I'll love it though, and the sequel looks up my alley as well.

mcz117chief

One piece of information you might want to add since I had forgotten and looked to see if it was there (but it wasn't) is how many players can play co-op together.

Added the number (4)

Kind of surprised the title isn't a wang joke though lol.

I went with the second (or first, depending on how impatient you are) thing you hear in the original game since that is the name of the medium difficulty.

I see there's 70 weapons.

Does this mean that there's 70 base weapon types but which you can get better stat versions of these and also augment them (e.g. fire damage) too?

mcz117chief

First game I've pre-ordered in a long time, I'm hoping FWH don't disappoint. Bummed there's no pre-load though.

yeah, my internet has been kind of wonky in the last few days. It would be really nice to dl it ahead of time.

Does this mean that there's 70 base weapon types but which you can get better stat versions of these and also augment them (e.g. fire damage) too?

70 individual weapons or like you said "weapon types" (stuff like shotgun, double-barreled shotgun, uzis, sword, claws, rocket launcher, etc.) which can be further enhanced.

mcz117chief

Thanks for the OT! Just waiting for the game to unlock to preload.

in the mean time you can hunt for the secrets to get the key :)

That goes to all of you. I will be here for the next 2 or so hours so if you find all the clues I will send you the key today, if not today then tomorrow European evening.

Can´t wait to play it, loved the first one, i hope the improved the pace of the game it dragged a bit, and the enemy variety, but it was really good

Does anyone know if review codes were sent out? Interested in seeing reviews, but this game does look awesome.

Yes, they were. There's at least two of us here, counting myself, that has access to review copy. Have zero fear, this game is quality! Up there with DOOM in regards to sleeper hits of 2016.

Oh man, I've been wanting a remake of the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden for years.

No Love

Banned
Wow, looks like massive upgrades over the original. Wonder if I'll have time to build another monster PC before the PS4 version hits.

mcz117chief

Well I'm signing off, I might find some time in the morning so if you send me the answers it might be a while before I send you the code.

Debating caving and buying this and streaming it tomorrow.

I was gonna get it anyways because I loved the first but was gonna hold off due to a backlog of shit already. If I can beat it in 2 or 3 nights I might not care tho.

Vic_Viper

never checked out the first one but have been really impressed with what ive seen of SW2. About to preorder it now actually, want that chainsaw sword lol.

Does anyone know if the co-op has a matchmaking system where you can just drop in with other players at random or is it invite only?

Did I hear they changed the controls so you don't have to double tap directions to use powers now? That was one of my bigger issues with Shadow Warrior 2013.

Powers are handled via keys or d-pad on the controller.

never checked out the first one but have been really impressed with what ive seen of SW2. About to preorder it now actually, want that chainsaw sword lol.

Does anyone know if the co-op has a matchmaking system where you can just drop in with other players at random or is it invite only?

Co-op is both invite only or searching the matchmaking and dropping in.

Karak

FYI HDR is actually working. Piped it to the Test tv and the settings switched, the gamma reacts like an HDR input has been received versus a SDR. Will do some more testing.

Akronis

Searching Google for Shadow Warrior 2 reviews yielded a cached IGN review. They gave it an 8.6. Strong start.

EDIT: it looks like IGN also gave the 2013 release an 8.6, so it could be Google pulling the wrong review.

Top Bottom