• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandfather of American 16 year old killed by drone attack speaks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Jesus Christ.

Here is the reason why we can't have a discussion about foreign policy or have a serious investigation into the US drone policy. If you really think this Alex Jones bullshit, where everyone is a Disney-style super villain, you will never be taken seriously.

You sound like every stoned art school asshole I had to deal with in college.

After reading that, I thought to myself - are there any Disney super villains that have murdered as many innocents as the US government, and in such dreadful ways? I failed the challenge, I couldn't think of a one remotely close.

You can't have both an empire and republic at the same time for very long. One is going to have to be given up, I hope we choose to keep the republic.

Anthropology asshole here, so pretty good guess. I'm terrible at guessing, maybe an engineer?

And yet the nation sleeps with disregard to innocent being killed...we are raged when the terrorist kill innocent people but then there is not a word from the mainstream press or debate or any form of formal protest on murdering of US citizens by the US govt. ....its sickening

Honestly I see MGS4 opening to come true at some point in time where war is just a business with disregard to any human life

War has changed....indeed

The government really needs to become accountable to the people. It's all gone too far. But we are now happily shaking our fists from behind screens whilst feeling totally powerless.

Hunter S.

By far the more interesting part there. I can guess how the review went.
Yeah, the whole situation annoys me in the fact we do not know if it was intentional or an accident by non-piloted drone. Since a huge amount of drones are piloted for many different purposes other than taking out enemies of whatever country is using them. I read at least 50 countries use some sort of drone. Anyways, I would rather know if it was done by a human or if it really was AI error. This whole debate would be completely different to me if it was known.

Yet another shameful mark on Obama's presidency.

Painting this in partisan-red doesn't really help anyone, not even those who don't like Obama; it's not like he could run for a third term. A genuine analysis would ask why the US deviates so far from their lip service to freedom and "being the good guys". No single force has been as disruptive as the US in the last 25 years, and neither of their two parties is innocent in this.

but then there is not a word from the mainstream press or debate or any form of formal protest on murdering of US citizens by the US govt.

Another thing that's sickening is that innocent US citizens who become victims seem to be more innocent than innocent children of other nationalities in the collective mind of the US people.

You can't have both an empire and republic at the same time for very long. One is going to have to be given up, I hope we choose to keep the republic.

You believe there is a decision still to be made? I fear that possibility is long past. The United States isn't a democracy, nor was it ever intended to be. It's a one party state with two factions. That notion goes back to the country's founding. As James Madison said, the purpose of the constitution is to "protect the minority of the opulent against the majority."
The government really needs to become accountable to the people. It's all gone too far. But we are now happily shaking our fists from behind screens whilst feeling totally powerless.

There's the rub.

Kettch

Yeah, the whole situation annoys me in the fact we do not no if it was intentional or an accident by non-piloted drone. Since a huge amount of drones are piloted for many different purposes other than taking out enemies of whatever country is using them. I read at least 50 countries use some sort of drone. Anyways, I would rather know if it was done by a human or if it really was AI error. This whole debate would be completely different to me if it was known.

It seems pretty obvious to me. There just happened to be a mistake in targeting where the son of the only other American to be killed in a drone strike is killed, along with other innocent people, with the supposed target nowhere to be found?

If it wasn't intentional, it's one hell of a coincidence.

Hunter S.

It seems pretty obvious to me. There just happened to be a mistake in targeting where the son of the only other American to be killed in a drone strike is killed, along with other innocent people, with the supposed target nowhere to be found?

If it wasn't intentional, it's one hell of a coincidence.
I doubt unless you design drones you have even the slightest clue how they operate. And, therefore it is impossible to know if an AI killed the boy as error in it's processing or not. Part of the reason drones were given missiles was because a drone that spotted Bin Laden was only able to take pictures of him. This drone was a self controlled AI drone. Since then Drones of AI started more often having missiles. It is very possible it was an AI drone killing on it's own. Choosing to think otherwise is just a biased assumption. People will say a lot of outlandish opinions of course, but I remain skeptical.

BeerSnob

Yeah, the whole situation annoys me in the fact we do not know if it was intentional or an accident by non-piloted drone. Since a huge amount of drones are piloted for many different purposes other than taking out enemies of whatever country is using them. I read at least 50 countries use some sort of drone. Anyways, I would rather know if it was done by a human or if it really was AI error. This whole debate would be completely different to me if it was known.

All drones, Predators anyway, ARE piloted. Those drones are just piloted remotely from where ever, with an X second delay from base signal to drone action. The problem lays not in what those device are but how they're being used in place of more effective tools. Predators are great for a very specific mission set, killing specific people in crowded areas is not one of those times. Ironically it's become the go to weapon for the Obama administration because no one wants to actually train and deploy real assassins. Because that might make us look bad.

Hunter S.

All drones, Predators anyway, ARE piloted. Those drones are just piloted remotely from where ever, with an X second delay from base signal to drone action. The problem lays not in what those device are but how they're being used in place of more effective tools. Predators are great for a very specific mission set, killing specific people in crowded areas is not one of those times. Ironically it's become the go to weapon for the Obama administration because no one wants to actually train and deploy real assassins. Because that might make us look bad.
I have not read anywhere that it was the predator design. If you have read this please forward a link?

Metrotab

Banned
The complacency of the American public is the perfect veil for the continued execution of its government's inhumane policies. And since it's a Democratic president at the wheel, the conscious members of that party will be silenced in order to not hurt the political 'team'.

A tragedy by all accounts. And I wonder if we are actually safer because of it.

A tragedy by all accounts. And I wonder if we are actually safer because of it.
On the list of things likely to hurt or kill you during your life, terrorism is near the bottom. Eliminating it would technically make you safer but not by much. Seat belts do more to increase your safety every day than the war on terror has done in it's entire existence.

BeerSnob

I have not read anywhere that it was the predator design. If you have read this please forward a link?

Fair enough, it could have been a Reaper. As far as I know Predators and Reapers are the only combat UAVs that the CIA or OGAs use. There are other armed drones, but those belong to the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom