• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

I think they're all pretty close together by now. And they all have different impressive things going

- Forza Motorsport (5 and 6) looks fantastic and never drops frames while running on almost 30% less powerful hardware
- Driveclub has dynamic time of day and rain and doesn't feel like it's running at 30fps
- Forza Horizon is open world (and 3 has some damn nice skyboxes)
- GTS's replays could be mistaken for TV footage, they look that good

Now if you're looking at 3rd party games. Codies, SMS, Ubisoft's Crew2 and the last NFS, they all look more than good enough these days. I'd say the difference in graphics to a Gran Turismo has become so small that "holy shit, this looks amazing!" is now a mere "yep that does look nice".
And anyway we all should be playing and supporting the games that have the game design and handling we like first and foremost.
Mario Kart 8 looks fucking great!

watdaeff4

Driveclub looks great. There may be a bit of hyperbole amongst its fans as to "how great" but there is also some negative downplaying as well ITT regarding the visuals. To act like it's not pretty is kinda.......well, silly 😜.

The SP campaign also has a pretty rewarding progression systems and something other racers (e.g. Forza Motorsport) are lacking.

For me the actual racing was a bit of a letdown unfortunately :(

If the FH, FM, PC and Dirt series didn't exist, I would believe you.

The only reason why I said DC was subpar is because the game only has a few moments of awesomeness.

Some people think sims are way more boring. And i agree with that.
But i do agree Forza Horizon is more fun. Dirt is also great.

Wiped89

Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.

In a gen where we've got Forza Horizon 3, Forza 6, Forza 7, Mario Kart 8, Gran Turismo Sport, F1 2017, Project Cars 2 and WipEout Omega, Driveclub doesn't even get close to the top 5.

I really disliked Driveclub. Only game I've ever deleted from a console hard drive.

Melchiah

It's a shit tunnel racer and it gets far too much credit - everything was sacrificed for graphics. It never even lived up to its name.

Seeing a term like "corridor racer" used makes me vomit a little in my mouth. The game has a fantastic track design, and it offers a wide variety of them. More than something like MotorStorm series ever did.

Just booted up the game again, still looks and plays great. Of course there's areas and times when it doesn't look good but for the most part it's still a fantastic looking game. A few gameplay captures I just made.

ai5s7j.png

faiscj.png

bumshd.png

cd4sa6.png

daxssb.png

e5ms8w.png

gausis.png

h8dsek.png

isrsfs.png

jvps68.png

watdaeff4

In a gen where we've got Forza Horizon 3, Forza 6, Forza 7, Mario Kart 8, Gran Turismo Sport, F1 2017, Project Cars 2 and WipEout Omega, Driveclub doesn't even get close to the top 5.

I really disliked Driveclub. Only game I've ever deleted from a console hard drive.

You have played PC2, GTS and Forza 7?

agree with the rest tho

Shin

Banned
Without a doubt, all other racers seems to pour every bit of power they got into the cars themselves the environment looks bland and sometimes PS2/PS3 levels.

eso76

It can look good, yeah and its trees are still better than GT sport's and Forza's (and than most games's that aren't even racers in fact).

The problem after seeing these pics and firing up the game is, in-game and in motion there are things that you just can't appreciate while playing, I've never seen a game where assets suffered such a negative impact from the IQ, and mind you, the IQ itself is not *that* bad.
But in motion, combined with the intricate details, lack of AF etc it really gets a little messy and it's hard to appreciate the ensemble or the single elements.
The whole picture becomes far less than the sum of its parts.

Still an very impressive achievement especially when you take dynamic GI,weather, their cloud system etc into consideration.

Melchiah

Without a doubt, all other racers seems to pour every bit of power they got into the cars themselves the environment looks bland and sometimes PS2/PS3 levels.

I think that applies to Gran Turismo. The real world tracks also feel boring to me, just like the race circuits in DC. The imaginary point-to-point tracks of DC are far more to my taste.

Shin

Banned
I think that applies to Gran Turismo. The real world tracks also feel boring to me, just like the race circuits in DC. The imaginary point-to-point tracks of DC are far more to my taste.

All of them, let's not lie.
When you look at the details of the cars it's a big difference with environment.
I mean it's understandable but it shouldn't be that big, this is something I hope they address next-gen (or so I keep telling myself).

Segaswirl

One of the first games I picked up when I got my PS4, to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The best thing about the game at the time I played it was the value... I think I got it for £15 or £20 with the season pass, for the price there's a lot of (average) content.

NahaNago

Every time I see Driveclub screenshots, I think I have to give the game another chance. Then I do and quickly lose interest. Something about it has never felt right to me, despite numerous attempts to make it click. But yeah, game looks amazing.

I'm the same.

I think they're all pretty close together by now. And they all have different impressive things going

- Forza Motorsport (5 and 6) looks fantastic and never drops frames while running on almost 30% less powerful hardware
- Driveclub has dynamic time of day and rain and doesn't feel like it's running at 30fps
- Forza Horizon is open world (and 3 has some damn nice skyboxes)
- GTS's replays could be mistaken for TV footage, they look that good

Now if you're looking at 3rd party games. Codies, SMS, Ubisoft's Crew2 and the last NFS, they all look more than good enough these days. I'd say the difference in graphics to a Gran Turismo has become so small that "holy shit, this looks amazing!" is now a mere "yep that does look nice".
And anyway we all should be playing and supporting the games that have the game design and handling we like first and foremost.
Mario Kart 8 looks fucking great!

Even ignoring driving games I think we have reached a point where most AAA games look astounding. It's splitting hairs arguing over which looks 10% better imo but console wars I guess.

It's a shit tunnel racer and it gets far too much credit - everything was sacrificed for graphics. It never even lived up to its name.

"Tunnel racer" is such a ridiculous term , you know by those who use it are those who are blinded by other thoughts than the game itself.

Like as if a race from POINT A to point B is suddenly a bad thing

prob up there with the best environments of any console game, let alone just racers. every time I race around India or Japan in particular I feel like I want to stop and just look at the amazing flora.

probably the best time trial racing game since Rage Racer and Burnout 2, too. game has some of the most nuanced gameplay controls in terms of torque and car weight/momentum this side of a pure sim.

lot of folks go into it i think and think it's just poor handling but a lot of it is just learning car weight/track elevation shifts. game has a pretty steep memorization curve in terms of that. it's not challenging per se but you need to remember how each car shifts weight over different hills or corners of every single track -- you can really just purely skill it like a pure arcade racer.

best part of the game was the first few months after they added challenges. was a huge community trying to shave off just milliseconds for some of the best time trial tracks.

Gaenor

Banned
Racing games threads always ignite passions, especially when it comes to graphics.

I think that graphically, Driveclub's highs are higher than any other racing game out there. When everything comes together, Driveclub is outright gorgeous. And it doesn't even have to be under weather conditions to look amazing. Dawns/dusks can produce insane lightning conditions. Even midday lightning sometimes.

However, under other lightning conditions (and more prominently in India), the game can also be very plain looking and can make the bad IQ stands out.

Forza Horizon 3, while also having highs and lows (just like any other videogame), is more consistant with its graphics. It generally looks very good, which is a feat considering the Xbox One limitations and the fact that it is an open-world game.

Driveclub and Forza Horizon 3 are my 2 top racing games this generation yet, and not just because of the graphics. I think both are very good racers that satisfy my needs in different ways.

SliChillax

Diveclub has amazing gameplay in my opinion, cars are so much fun to drive. It has the best cockpit view also with proper hand animations and the steering wheel turns properly not just a few degrees like in GT or Forza. Correcting an oversteer looks amazing and feels satisfying to do. They also nailed the sense of speed, even th slowest cars are fun to drive and throw around.

I just like looking at the gifs. Watched a few clips of it and it didn't seem as impressive but Driveclub gifs = best gifs.

Is the free version still available on PSN? Might finally give it a go

rashbeep

Banned
it looks really spotty, but yea it doesn't seem any other racer is attempting to do what DC does with environments, lighting, shaders.

games like FH3 get by on their artstyle, but you can clearly see the models and textures are not comparable to DC.

Dr.brain64

I've played 20 hrs of both horizon 3 and forza 6 and I still think driveclub looks way better. The weather effects are just incredible and the race courses more detailed.

thelastword

Banned
the way we are going it may remain the best looking racing game until we get new gen consoles
The only game that may look better than driveclub is going to be GTS, but I bet not all the time and GTS weather may not compare. GTS will have better IQ.

QFT.

Video Games are not a static medium and the choppy frame rate really hurts both the gameplay and the way it looks in motion.
DC is never uninstalled on my system...The game looks even better in motion than stills...DC has so much going for it in motion that posting a low quality shot of India to prove it's ugly is absolutely ridiculous.

India track is a good representation of the roads and foliage you get there, imperfections, soil color et al, if anything these guys did a great job. The lighting in India Track is amazing, especially when you're are approaching a corner or going down a slight incline. You don't see that in stills. Horizon on the other hand has some of the most basic and unrealistic looking foliage and environments I have seen in a racer.

How quickly people forgot Forza Horizon 3. (Images shamelessly stolen from FH3 screenshot thread)

UKYtEOT.gif
This looks bad, a heavy car like this is basically on ice behind a rail, knocking down trees like it's some time of grazer. Foliage here is no where near DC's quality.

It's because its a corridor racer

/s

Remember when that was a thing?
Is the guy who called DC a cooridoor racer in this thread? I bet you he will make an appearance. I'm sorry OP, but the reality is, you make a DC thread and you will immedaitely invite mostly XB fans because it looks that good...And yes, DC is still the best looking driving game and it has the best environments in a racer. GTS is on it's heels, but PD has to show me a Trial Mountain and Deep Forest so we can see that foliage......

Eh! Did someone say DC is a choppy racer? I bet you FH3 is a buttery smooth racer in comparison.....You've certainly brought out persons who have not even played DC OP..

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
it looks really spotty, but yea it doesn't seem any other racer is attempting to do what DC does with environments, lighting, shaders.

games like FH3 get by on their artstyle, but you can clearly see the models and textures are not comparable to DC.

you also clearly can see that the size of the world of FH3 is not comparable to DC ;)
plus FH3 can run at 60+fps on PC ;P

w0s

Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.

Really best racing game? Only redeeming quality I found was the graphics.

thelastword

Banned
So the OP wants to discuss environments and vegetation and people are here talking about gameplay because clearly DC's environments and vegetation is much superior in quality, which is even further exponentiated by the great lighting in those environments.......

I just can't put my head around the people saying DC is hard to drive in.....Are these people only used to handholding racers..I just plyed the F7 demo some days back and it was appaling to me that there were so many assists in a sim racer (or would be at that)...So if this is what people are used to in the Forza series, I can see why DC may be a bit challenging to them, but it's certainly not because of the handling. If you're used to a car driving it self or with FH3 physics where the car goes through forests like some alien lighning speed tractor technology, then I guess DC is not for you, but this is no fault of DC.

So when people say, you can't drive in the forests/environments in DC...Well, I don't see Aventadors ploughing through Brown Mountain forests in Australia and usually those cars are made for roads last I heard.....Perhaps I should take a lambo through the forests to see how I fare.........

The materials for vegetation and SSS are very real. Foliage even shows colour bleeding.
The game also has dynamic GI with colour bleeding, self shadowing parallax occlusion mapping (ground rocks never looked any more real), and TrueSKY tech which makes the sky look and behave so realistically with weather conditions: imagine the volumetric clouds hiding the sun when you play, and when they move, thus exposing the sun suddenly, you get dazzled by it which affects gaemplay. It really needs HDR and PS4 Pro support for the matter.
Driveclub is still among the best looking racing games, if not still the best yet.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So the OP wants to discuss environments and vegetation and people are here talking about gameplay because clearly DC's environments and vegetation is much superior in quality, which is even further exponentiated by the great lighting in those environments.......

I just can't put my head around the people saying DC is hard to drive in.....Are these people only used to handholding racers..I just plyed the F7 demo some days back and it was appaling to me that there were so many assists in a sim racer (or would be at that)...So if this is what people are used to in the Forza series, I can see why DC may be a bit challenging to them, but it's certainly not because of the handling. If you're used to a car driving it self or with FH3 physics where the car goes through forests like some alien lighning speed tractor technology, then I guess DC is not for you, but this is no fault of DC.

So when people say, you can't drive in the forests/environments in DC...Well, I don't see Aventadors ploughing through Brown Mountain forests in Australia and usually those cars are made for roads last I heard.....Perhaps I should take a lambo through the forests to see how I fare.........

Maybe because FH is not a sim, just like DC. So you should be able to drive in the forests breaking trees in DC :p

plus it's the framerate and input lag of DC that are not for me, not the physics ;)

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a crying shame there's no 60fps pro patch.

Still feel sad Sony closed down Evo.

It's a game l still fire up and rain driving is not only so good to look at (unmatched by any driving game so far) but fun too.

watership

Are you ... are you actually saying that Driveclub is a challenging racer while Forza is a fake arcadey mess with assists?

That's pure delusion. Driveclub is an unrealistic grippy racer. It's fine for that, but it only does that. FH and FM series use the same base simulation engine, with FM getting more granular. The Forza Horizon series may get a little wonky when you go offroad, but how to do you model the actual physics of flying off a road into the foliage on 2 wheels while spinning and slamming into trees? That's going to be a little unrealistic, and frankly, they model that as best they can. And you can do that in Horizon. You know...go off into the vast beatiful distance environments..and drive on them. Or you can come onto GAF and see them in Driveclub threads as photomode shots.

thelastword

Banned
Maybe because FH is not a sim, just like DC. So you should be able to drive in the forests breaking trees in DC :p

plus it's the framerate and input lag of DC that are not for me, not the physics ;)
Well tbf, it's only recently since I'm hearing that Forza is not a sim...All those years I've been saying that the series was leaning more towards arcade, but people always denied that and for years we've been comparing Forza to GT and other sims...I played lots of PGR on OG XBOX, especially the first one at 60fps and Forza never felt more realistic or more of a simulation than that.

Physics always felt a bit off in Forza and does so even today, the cars have never felt like they had weight and it always felt like you were gliding on the road surface a bit too much...It's even worse now that they make all these driving assists as default.....

As for DC's input lag... I don't know if you're aware, but do you know that DC has some of the lowest input latency for a 30fps racer and it's sense of speed is better than the majority, if not all 60fps racers on consoles currently. Yes, at 60fps, I would imagine DC would scream, but Evo did lots to ensure that controller input to visual/physics feedback was ace for this 30fps racer.

rawd

Can we get a PS4 Pro patch with a whole separate trophy list for both the main game and bikes. Would 100% them again for top dollar. DC my fave racing game ever.

Top Bottom