• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best "Horde" mode?

I never played Firefight in ODST since it didn't have matchmaking. Was it really that much better than Reach?
I'd put Reach above it in terms of spectacle, and more importantly, all the options you have available. You can really get creative with Reach's options, and even come up with your own crazy remixes if you really get into the details (like say, 30% health, swords only with perma-stealth -- go crazy with it).

One thing I'd give ODST the nod on is pure white knuckle difficulty though. Its harder to stay ammo'd up, you're more fragile as an ODST, and some of the skulls really bring the pain, and the tension that comes with that challenge. But, presuming you were up to that challenge, the waves could settle into a really rote pattern. When that happened our group would end up quitting out eventually out of sheer boredom, rather than a win condition or a loss. So there are pros and cons.

EBE

ODST is the horde pinnacle of the series.
Reach was too score oriented. Multipliers and overpowered heavy weapons and armor abilities and gruntpocalypse are fun for a while but there's no challenge at the end of it.
Halo 5 warzone firefight is a joke. It's just grinding for packs

What's the difference between a wave based survival mode and horde mode?
Nothing really. But you can get some wildly different implementations of that idea.

Gears 2 was straight up survival against long odds. Gears 3 introduced XP and progression and boss waves. Gears Judgment was class based generator defense, etc.

Halo 5 warzone firefight is a joke. It's just grinding for packs
Yup. Its more about its gear-check timers and some of the bullet-spongiest enemies since Resistance 2's co-op mode bosses. Imagine fighting Destiny 1's original Phogoth, but with a harsh timer that requires you to bust out single use expendables (obtained from RNG card packs) to even have a chance and there you go.

KDC720

I love Mercs in RE, but I always considered that more of a score attack type mode.

I still maintain Gears 3 horde mode was the best one, Gears 4 horde didn't really do it for me, although I've yet to play the updated version of it.

If CoD Zombies counts it may take it for me, Black Ops 1 was the best iteration of it I think.

ODST and Reach firefight are awesome, Halo 5's also ain't too shabby but its kind of a whole different beast.

I never got into Mass Effect 3's multiplayer as much as others did, but I did have a good time with it.

ME3's was excellent. Pay Day 2 as well. Not strictly a horde mode game, except for most of the time.

Warframe has one? Dammit, I like the game, but the art style is just terrible. Everything looks like sculpted turds.

El Odio

Banned
Sad Killing Floor isn't getting repped a lot here. 2 is probably one of my favorite games, play a round or two with a friend almost daily since it left EA. I also lean towards saying Salmon Run because I like how it doesn't take long to get frantic like some other games.

RE Mercenaries is definitely a horde mode that hides its waves with straggling and tougher "boss" enemies. The combo system is a brilliant mechanic to replaying the maps to see if you can get a perfect run. Resident Evil 5 being much more difficult than 6 just because 6 gives you so many options and abilities.

I don't know, I feel like horde modes inherently need to be team-based and for me a duo doesn't count. And while I know what you're saying about how RE does waves, it still feels a little too nonstop to me.

Like if RE6 is a horde mode then I'm not sure why Geometry Wars Retro Evolved isn't too.

Definitely an awesome mode regardless of categorization.

ME3's was excellent. Pay Day 2 as well. Not strictly a horde mode game, except for most of the time.

Warframe has one? Dammit, I like the game, but the art style is just terrible. Everything looks like sculpted turds.
It has a bunch of em. Everything from defending an artifact/person/group that can be destroyed, a survival mode where you have to kill to replenish life support, and some with mixed objectives like extraction where you go to locations, drop an extractor - or two - and defend it against constant attacks while it mines resources, and mobile defense where one player carries a datamass (that player can only use secondary weapons or melee while they carry it) and the group goes to several locations to hack and defend. Some of this might be considered bog standard, but with the enemy variety and warframe powers and weaponry they can get pretty nuts in a lot of different ways.

And yeah, the art style either calls to you or it doesn't - the price of having such a radical look to the different factions and frames.

i keep seeing mentions of me3 and the transformers cybertron games. Do people still play them? If they do, which version would have the most people to play with?

Duffk1ng

Splatoon 2 because it's the only one I've played that doesn't take 30 minutes to start being challenging and then another 30 before you game over, that I can think of.

thenexus6

I never liked Mass Effect 3 that much, the MP maps were too small.

I remember having fun with Gears of War 2/3 and ODST/Reach.

Gears 3

Incredible amount of time put into that game and specifically the Horde mode, although I have really enjoyed what they have done with 4 as well.

Big Nikus

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is the best. My Volus is god-tier.

1t6t6hp.gif

1SWKO7U.gif

Shifty

Not to summon ResiGAF and turn this thread into franchise infighting buuuut...

RE6 without a doubt. Best TPS mechanics of its gen and they're squandered on a bunch of crap campaigns.
The game truly shines in Mercenaries mode.

Kaz407

Banned
I had a great time with Gears of War 2 back when it first came out and I think it was what really got me into horde modes. Killing Floor 2 is what I go to today to sate the hunger.

Gears 2 has been the only one that I really enjoyed. I love the idea, but the only execution that I've played and enjoyed is Gears 2.

Nocturno999

Unreal Tournament and Gears 2.

Edit: When you say Warframe you talk of normal mission or there are horde type special missions?

Top Bottom