• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best "Horde" mode?

Solidsoul

Banned
I ask this question upon replaying ODST firefight as I always held that games version of Horde mode in high regard. I also loved the original Horde mode from Gears 2 because it was so simple, I loved making shield walls.

What is the all around best Horde mode out there?

If The Mercenaries counts, then Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 win handily (with 5's iteration being the best of the three, I think).

As for more traditional horde modes, Serious Sam 3's is good too.

hobozero

Yeah ODSTs firefight was amazing. Have yet to see another Horde mode with the level size and mobility of ODST (dat Warthog).

I remember playing a ton, then checking out the heatmap of kills on bungie.net after a long match :)

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.
This.
Batarian falcon-punching geth will never get old.
niplc.gif

0Vrd3k4.gif

tumblr_inline_miwp9vxU1k1qz4rgp.gif

Max Payne 3

The mode itself is not mindblowing, but it being wrapped around the base games shooting and mechanics easily makes it one of the best.

BigEmil

Gears of War 4 is good never tried Battlefront horde PvE mode, also Titanfall 2 has it never tried it yet too
Splatoon 2. Salmon Run is great.
Hell no lol is Splatoon 2 the only horde mode you played? It's pretty meh here especially compared to Horde mode in other games

SpartanN92

Banned
Gears 2
Halo ODST
Mass Effect 3
Halo Reach
Gears 3

Honorable mention to Halo 5 because Warzone Firefight can be pretty entertaining at times.

Gears of War 4 is good never tried Battlefront horde PvE mode, also Titanfall 2 has it never tried it yet too

Hell no lol is Splatoon 2 the only horde mode you played? It's pretty meh here especially compared to Horde mode in other games

I've played and loved so many horde modes, and I've gotta say that Splatoon 2's "high difficulty three wave" setup is INCREDIBLY good.

Renna Hazel

No, I've played every mainline Gears, Halo, Mass Effect and since someone else named it, Resident Evil Mercenaries. Though if RE counts, I'd change my vote to that. I don't consider that a horde mode though.

Dyle

Splatoon 2 Salmon Run, short hectic runs that encourage repeat plays
TF2 Mann vs. Machine, personal favorite upgrading system

goldenpp72

I think your opinion will ultimately be the unpopular one, i've played plenty of horde/survival game types and Splatoon 2 is up there for sure.

RedSwirl

I guess I should try ME3 then. Ever since my XBL ran out and I no longer wanted to hook up my Xbox for Gears 3 I've been trying to figure out what the best horde mode on PC is.

Renna Hazel

Gears 2, you nailed it. 3 introduced that weird base building mechanic.

The base building stuff is such a huge turn off. It's worse in 4 as it feels like everyone just stays in the same spot at the base. I guess some people like that, but it feels so stationary to me.

forrest

formerly nacire

You're crazy. Salmon Run is fantastic.

If I have Master Chief Collection, what's the best way to get ODST on there since it doesn't come with it? Can I buy a cheap physical 360 copy and it will unlock or do I have to go digital?

massoluk

Banned
I really think Salmon Run is one of the best horde modes ever. Other games tried to make the bosses and each session unique, but I think Salmon Run did it that much better

Top Bottom