• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would love another Donkey Kong, and I can only imagine the GAF freakout thread when that hit.

I'd be up for another DK, but it would be kind of a weird thought that Retro's been working on the series for a good seven years on three different consecutive consoles. Metroid Prime in comparison lasted from 2002-2007 (five years), began on the Gamecube and ended on Wii.

DMONKUMA

I'd be up for another DK, but it would be kind of a weird thought that Retro's been working on the series for a good seven years on three different consecutive consoles. Metroid Prime in comparison lasted from 2002-2007 (five years), began on the Gamecube and ended on Wii.

It's probably due to the fact that they had to transfer to an HD system for their second DK game and that this current one original started on the Wii U perhaps.

As I said, I'd be fine with DKR3. Wouldn't be excited by it but it is a sort of game I'd want to see on Switch down the road.

Yeah this is my attitude on it. I really don't want Retro's next project to be another DKCR, but I don't doubt it would end up being a kick-ass game anyway.

Exactly. Bring it on. Hoping for a 3D DK.
3D DK would be good, though It would have to be pretty different from Mario Odyssey to make it worth it.
I could see them co-developing a 2D DK with Monster or someone else...though Monster is probably busy with that nascar game.

It's been over 3 years since DKCTF came out and probably at least 4 by the time the game comes out. Not showing up at e3 would be a bit worrisome, but I'm not sure RETRO is that studio worth hyping up anymore. Maybe they'll prove me wrong at e3, but their last game was a game that took over 3 years and was a same-y DKCR sequel

3D DK would be amazing.

As much as I love DKCR and TF, I hope Retro is working on something other than a third 2D DKC title. Either a 3D DK game or something else would be fine with me.

Neiteio

3D DK would be amazing.

As much as I love DKCR and TF, I hope Retro is working on something other than a third 2D DKC title. Either a 3D DK game or something else would be fine with me.
I'd also love a 3D Donkey Kong. I remember Tanabe musing about this at one point.

Andyliini

I'd also love a 3D Donkey Kong. I remember Tanabe musing about this at one point.

Me too. Haven't read Tanabe's comment's about 3D DK, but I loved DK64 back when it was released. I replaued it when it was released on Wii U Virtual Console, but I could see it's shortcomings now much better than back then. I'm sure Retro Studios could create a great 3D adventure game, but I'm not sure should they do a collectathon, or more action oriented title instead.

Codiox

No, we have enough Metroid games. I want to see them work on a new IP

giphy.gif

Get. Out. 😡
Huehuehue 😈

To be completely honest, I'm kind of indifferent to both Metroid and Donkey Kong. That and since Nintendo seems to be more enthusiastic about making new IP these days, I wanna see what Retro Studios can do if they make something completely new. That's way more exciting to me then Metroid Prime 4: Dread or Donkey Kong Country: Cranky's Conundrum. I wanna see more stuff like Splatoon and Arms

I know it's bad but surely I can't be the only one like this...

Whenever a new Smash or Smash DLC is imminent, my reaction to a direct is HUGELY dependent on Smash news. By that I mean..

Bad Direct with Smash news: 90% happy
Amazing Direct with Smash news: 100% happy

Bad Direct without Smash news: 0% happy
Amazing Direct without Smash news: 50% happy

Anyone else like this? Hopefully Nintendo know this..
I adore Smash, but I don't need it yet. I'm not particularly interested in a port, and it feels too early for a sequel.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...yeah. I liked Smash 4, but didn't get as much local out of it as I wanted. Don't think I'd get more on Switch so not too excited about that rumor, personally.

Also don't tend to play 3rd entries of Pokemon generations, so not too excited about that rumor either.

Both would be good announcements for Nintendo though.

It's been a long time since I played it but was Donkey Kong 64 really SO BAD that it tainted the well from ever bringing out another 3D Donkey Kong? DK has like 6-10 games and they're all 2D side scrollers except for DK64.

I'd say the biggest case one could make for a new Retro DKC is that the Switch doesn't really have much in terms of having a premier 2D platforming game.

When Tropical Freeze was announced, it was bit of an awkward time because there were already a bunch of other 2D platformers on Wii U, like NSMBU and Yoshi's Woolly World. The Switch's lineup, on the other hand, consists of:

• An big open world adventure game
  • A kart racer
  • A 3D fighting game
  • A shooter game
  • A Fire Emblem themed Musou game
  • A sandbox 3D platformer
  • Another big open world RPG/adventure game

Among others. In that sense, DKC (a 2D platformer) wouldn't feel quite as redundant in this lineup as many felt TF was back in 2013.

I definitely agree.
Yup, this is me too. Retro Studios deserves to either work on a new IP or do a retro (heh) revival and modernize it.
288.gif

Yeah, a different retro revival would be neat too, albeit I can't think of anything off of the top of my head of an IP that I'd like to see them revive. I guess they could go for an obscure one that could be reimagined and designed however they want

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
288.gif

Yeah, a different retro revival would be neat too, albeit I can't think of anything off of the top of my head of an IP that I'd like to see them revive. I guess they could go for an obscure one that could be reimagined and designed however they want
I think Eternal Darkness could be a good pick. We know Nintendo has been in some capacity conducting product or service research or development on that franchise since 2010.

No, we have enough Metroid games. I want to see them work on a new IP

That and since Nintendo seems to be more enthusiastic about making new IP these days, I wanna see what Retro Studios can do if they make something completely new. That's way more exciting to me then Metroid Prime 4: Dread or Donkey Kong Country: Cranky's Conundrum. I wanna see more stuff like Splatoon and Arms

Thing is, Mario and Zelda get entries every console generation on both handheld and home consoles, but Metroid hasn't really gotten anything good since halfway through the Wii's lifespan.

I understand wanting new IP's like Splatoon (Genius) and ARMS (Cool Idea), but I think there's definitely merit in realizing that Metroid is being forgotten and they need to find a way to fill that gap in their portfolio. Outside of the more mature LoZ games and Xenoblade, Nintendo doesn't have much when it comes to more mature titles. Metroid would be able to fill that gap perfectly.

It doesn't have to be Retro, since they're heavily rumored to be working on something new - but I do think Nintendo needs to bring Metroid back in a big way, and soon. (Though it could just be nostalgia-based fever dreams at this point.)

Pokemon Switch is one of the worst kept secrets, especially since we got confirmation by Eurogamer. The more curious thing to me is what Retro's current project is, and it seems very likely we'll see what it is at this E3.

I don't mean the existence of Stars, I mean that the tweet seems to be hinting at an announcement in the very near future.

Thing is, Mario and Zelda get entries every console generation on both handheld and home consoles, but Metroid hasn't really gotten anything good since halfway through the Wii's lifespan.

I understand wanting new IP's like Splatoon (Genius) and ARMS (Cool Idea), but I think there's definitely merit in realizing that Metroid is being forgotten and they need to find a way to fill that gap in their portfolio. Outside of the more mature LoZ games and Xenoblade, Nintendo doesn't have much when it comes to more mature titles. Metroid would be able to fill that gap perfectly.

It doesn't have to be Retro, since they're heavily rumored to be working on something new - but I do think Nintendo needs to bring Metroid back in a big way, and soon.

Seriously, just give it to Platinum.
Platinum and Metroid sounds bad. It wouldn't be a Metroid game at all

Sponge

Banned
Retro has been often called "The New Rare" on the internet but until their studio can support two teams I just can't agree. We should be getting both Metroid and DK from Retro.

Jubenhimer

As much as I want to see Metroid return in full force, I feel it's time Retro moves on from both it and Donkey Kong. I'd like to see Retro branch come up with completely original game. Besides, I'd prefer it if Nintendo starts developing Metroid in-house again, surely someone at EPD can do the series justice.

Platinum and Metroid sounds bad. It wouldn't be a Metroid game at all

True enough - it'd probably turn out like Other M, if anything...

I remember someone mentioning From Software as being a good option - assuming something like Prime 2 Echoes, that'd be a good fit, IMO.

Any other studios that'd be a good fit for a Metroid revival? (Outside of Nintendo EPD)

Taker666

I've no problem with a 3D Donkey Kong, a new Didding Kong Racing or a Donkey Kong FPS from Retro...

...but if Retro has spent yet another 3 years on another DK sidescroller... I'll just think it's a complete waste of resources.

A 2D DKC game wouldn't sell 3 million on Switch, honestly. Not after DKC:TF tanked due to everything wrong with Nintendo and the Wii U at the time. While the genre diversity on Switch is INFINITELY better than Wii U, it's still missing a few things.
DKC:TF didn't "tank" it sold pretty well with such a small install base. Almost the same ratio to DKCR was to the Wii.

2-D Donkey Kong would absolutely sell over 3 million once Switch has a bigger install base.

Neiteio

Rösti;238272216 said:
I think Eternal Darkness could be a good pick. We know Nintendo has been in some capacity conducting product or service research or development on that franchise since 2010.
Are you sure they haven't just been renewing the trademark, a pretty standard practice with IP ownership?

That being said, I'd love a new Eternal Darkness.

Tropical Freeze's sales were obviously pretty disappointing coming off the back of Returns, but I think saying it outright "tanked" is a bit extreme. It still sold over a million.

If you want something that like, actually legitimately bombed...

Wonderful_101_box_artwork.jpg

I suppose if we consider TF a bomb, then I guess Wonderful 101 should be considered a timeline destroying black hole then.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure they haven't just been renewing the trademark, a pretty standard practice with IP ownership?

That being said, I'd love a new Eternal Darkness.
In the Requests for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use they have filed in the past there's this:

ONGOING EFFORT product or service research or development
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86017853&docId=ESU20160623164931#docIndex=4&page=1

I am inclined to believe that some kind of research or development has taken place. Likely it has been brought up in a meeting at least. But sure, it's not much really.

Top Bottom