• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

how do you not feel jealous?

is it just something to accept?

You don't get jealous if you're dating someone for the right reasons. If you date someone because of any of the following reasons, you may get jealous:

-she's hot
-you want people to think you're cool by having a gf
-she makes you feel better about your insecurities
-she's wealthy or powerful
-she fucks well
-she prevents you from feeling lonely
-you depend on her to fix your problems or you try to fix her problems and play the hero

All of these things will lead to jealous behavior because you being with her is contingent on doing these things or providing these experiences for you. In other words, you are being needy. When she does these things for other people, you feel threatened or marginalized because your relationship is built on shallow or superficial pursuits. That feeling of being threatened or marginalized is what comprises the jealousy. You want to "possess" the person to give you these shallow things.

However, if you date someone for the right reasons, then you are unlikely to ever feel any jealousy (or at least, any significant jealousy that you couldn't easily dismiss). The right reasons are:

-you communicate well
-you treat each other with genuine with respect
-she makes you a stronger individual by helping you improve yourself (in other words, she doesn't do it for you)
-you admire the choices she makes
-you want her to be her best possible self as an individual
-you have similar values about important life issues

When you love someone for these reasons, you may get sad if things end, but you don't take it as a personal threat and wouldn't feel marginalized if they'd be happier with someone else. Instead, you'd encourage them to do what is best for them. You'd respect their choices. And you'd love them unconditionally, even if that meant saying goodbye.

Good relationships are all about bringing out the best in each individual through teamwork. They're not about forming unhealthy dependencies and losing your identity in a series of pleasurable interactions.

jimmypython

first date ends with passionate making out. then three days later they text and say they've found someone else they are really into.

I'd like to be that person, sounds fun.

It's fine if you feel jealousy. You don't need to convince yourself you aren't jealous. What you do need to do is not allow your jealousy to sneak into how you handle situations or treat others. If you can't do that around those people remove yourself from those situations.

Battling jealousy is about understanding your own worth and that what others have is not your concern. But there aint any point in pretending you arent if you are.

That's why I hate jealousy. It's a sneaky feeling that can make you act like an ass towards others. I think I'm going to just accept this is how I feel about this situation. I wish it wasn't so but it is and I'd be way happier if I accept it and move on. I have plenty to be thankful for and I know there are other opportunities out there.

Got a date on friday with a girl from Tinder that seems perfect. Septum piercing, beautiful as fuck, clever, and she wrote to me immediately when matching.

But she's 18 (turning 19) and I'm 25 (turning 26), so let's see how that goes.

jimmypython

Got a date on friday with a girl from Tinder that seems perfect. Septum piercing, beautiful as fuck, clever, and she wrote to me immediately when matching.

But she's 18 (turning 19) and I'm 25 (turning 26), so let's see how that goes.

Good luck, have fun :)

and make sure to check her ID before things

Unfortunately I've found that I'm "too nice" sometimes too just by my nature. I've had more success being LESS helpful/"nice" to girls than what I would normally do. It's just how I am. Literally was selected as "most polite" in high school.

Anyway it's bizarre but I do better if I consciously put in less effort. It's weird.

My gf asked me if Elijah Wood is really as small as he appears in Lord of the Rings. Is this a deal breaker?
Granted, she's never seen him in anything else, but the effects in Fellowship of the Ring aren't THAT convincing, are they?

My gf asked me if Elijah Wood is really as small as he appears in Lord of the Rings. Is this a deal breaker?
Granted, she's never seen him in anything else, but the effects in Fellowship of the Ring aren't THAT convincing, are they?

this is a major red flag IMO. delete her number and don't look back. You don't know what other things her disbelief is easily suspended by.

Peltz

hmmm....
200.gif

Let it live for now.

That's why I hate jealousy. It's a sneaky feeling that can make you act like an ass towards others. I think I'm going to just accept this is how I feel about this situation. I wish it wasn't so but it is and I'd be way happier if I accept it and move on. I have plenty to be thankful for and I know there are other opportunities out there.

The first thing about dealing with jealousy is just admitting you are. There is zero point in being like "there is no reason I should be jealous ever". Naw fuck that. It's a normal emotion.

But you also have to dig down and understand why you're jealousy or you will always have the same problem. Also note that jealousy and envy are not the same thing. Jealous is fear and distaste over someone taking something you have or want. Envy is wanting what others have. So note which one you actually feel because you deal with those in different ways.

Are you jealous of someonw or are you envious?

Unfortunately I've found that I'm "too nice" sometimes too just by my nature. I've had more success being LESS helpful/"nice" to girls than what I would normally do. It's just how I am. Literally was selected as "most polite" in high school.

Anyway it's bizarre but I do better if I consciously put in less effort. It's weird.

Said it a million times. Being nice is overated. It isn't a quality that in of itself is or isn't attractive. It's not bizarre that if you tone down how nice, open and available you are that can be attractive. For some people it means your time and pleasantry is not always available without some level of engagement.

This isn't me saying be a dick. Just don't think that kindness will necessarily get you places. (I know that sounds bad but I emphasize dont be an asshole. That isn't the point)

You don't get jealous if you're dating someone for the right reasons.

Jealousy is more about your own insecurities, fears and inadequacies than anything else. You can be a great person/bf and still feel jealousy.

Salamando

Less than 24 hours after first contact with Anti-Disney/HP girl, I get a "I'm having a really shit day, please cheer me up" text. I barely know her. She's not telling what the shitty situation is. This is way too early to be someone's emotional crutch....

The first thing about dealing with jealousy is just admitting you are. There is zero point in being like "there is no reason I should be jealous ever". Naw fuck that. It's a normal emotion.

But you also have to dig down and understand why you're jealousy or you will always have the same problem. Also note that jealousy and envy are not the same thing. Jealous is fear and distaste over someone taking something you have or want. Envy is wanting what others have. So note which one you actually feel because you deal with those in different ways.

Are you jealous of someonw or are you envious?

Said it a million times. Being nice is overated. It isn't a quality that in of itself is or isn't attractive. It's not bizarre that if you tone down how nice, open and available you are that can be attractive. For some people it means your time and pleasantry is not always available without some level of engagement.

This isn't me saying be a dick. Just don't think that kindness will necessarily get you places. (I know that sounds bad but I emphasize dont be an asshole. That isn't the point)

Jealousy is more about your own insecurities, fears and inadequacies than anything else. You can be a great person/bf and still feel jealousy.
I would say its more envy than jelousy. I'm not feeling distaste towards anyone, except maybe life and the hand it has dealt me.

I wish we could be together but it just isn't so and I'm wishing it were different. Its hard to accept that. I need to think about it further but I think I am feeling envy.

This was helpful. What else should I do?

Jzero

He's a short dude, he was at a Flaming Lips party that I won a ticket to.

Peltz

I would say its more envy than jelousy. I'm not feeling distaste towards anyone, except maybe life and the hand it has dealt me.

I wish we could be together but it just isn't so and I'm wishing it were different. Its hard to accept that. I need to think about it further but I think I am feeling envy.

Jerk off and move on.

Normally I have an answer for this sorta thing but tbh I don't really know. Everyone deals with it differently. It really depends on what the cause of it is as well.

Personally for me, when I'm envious (more than I like to admit) I try to see it as motivation to get to where I wanna be. But it's less about "I want that person's job" or "i want specific girl" and more about fulfilment. More "I wanna get to this level of success, what do I need to do to get there?" Or "I want that type of relationship, how do I get closer to it".

I find individual titles or the fantasy of exact people wont actually make you feel better. First I figure out if what I want is vapid. If it is then you just gotta let that shit go. If it isn't more of a self centered irrelevant want then I just ask myself why I want it so bad. Knowing why you want it will help find ways to fulfil that.

Thats just me though.

this is a major red flag IMO. delete her number and don't look back. You don't know what other things her disbelief is easily suspended by.

The girl I'm dating right now hasn't seen a single star wars film and has only seen a bit of Fellowship. It was literally one of the first things she told me in the first 10 minutes and she made it seem like it's one of her big red flags because my profile said I was a bit of a geek. I found it hilarious and adorable though.

Less than 24 hours after first contact with Anti-Disney/HP girl, I get a "I'm having a really shit day, please cheer me up" text. I barely know her. She's not telling what the shitty situation is. This is way too early to be someone's emotional crutch....

oh gosh, I view that scenario as a bad sign. I'd abandon ship unless you had some miraculous first encounter with her

Scotch

Tell her to watch Toy Story because it always cheers you up.

Peltz

"Let's bang" or "meet me at __ place at __ time"

gaiages

Banned

A dick pic seems like the perfect response :p

Put a mickey mouse hat on it

artsi

I had a date today with the girl who asked me out on Instagram. She's kind of nerdy, we talked a lot about movies, games and stuff like that.

When I got home she messaged me that she's free later this week if I want to do something then (yes I do).

Also going to see the rich girl again this week.

Lulubop

"Bet I can make your night better" WINKYFACE

Don't be scared of stuff like that. I don't think we need to expect emotional perfection out of our dates when we first meet them. Maybe her dog died and she needs a friend

gaiages

Banned
Don't be scared of stuff like that. I don't think we need to expect emotional perfection out of our dates when we first meet them. Maybe her dog died and she needs a friend

I mean, it's been less than 24 hours and she's already trying to use him to comfort her emotionally. I... get where you're going, but that level of emotional dependence on someone she hasn't met yet is a red flag that can signal a whole bunch of different things. She can't vent at any of her friends and family? You want to at least make a reasonable first impression, not immediately unload emotionally on anyone that'll talk to you for more than one conversation.

I mean, that's what friends are for.

You usually don't unload baggage on someone you met just 24hrs ago, unless you either don't have anyone else, others are tired of your constantly demanding emotional support or you're not just very good at dealing with life and need constant reassurance from anyone, even relative strangers.

Jerk off and move on.

This isn't helping... This is someone who has been a close friend of mine for over a year...

Normally I have an answer for this sorta thing but tbh I don't really know. Everyone deals with it differently. It really depends on what the cause of it is as well.

Personally for me, when I'm envious (more than I like to admit) I try to see it as motivation to get to where I wanna be. But it's less about "I want that person's job" or "i want specific girl" and more about fulfilment. More "I wanna get to this level of success, what do I need to do to get there?" Or "I want that type of relationship, how do I get closer to it".

I find individual titles or the fantasy of exact people wont actually make you feel better. First I figure out if what I want is vapid. If it is then you just gotta let that shit go. If it isn't more of a self centered irrelevant want then I just ask myself why I want it so bad. Knowing why you want it will help find ways to fulfil that.

Thats just me though.

I don't think what I want is really self centered. I want to be in a relationship with someone I care about as much as this person. I would also like more friends and ways to meet more women tbh. I feel like I just don't meet new people that often cause I kinda live outside the city and I don't go out much.

This isn't helping... This is someone who has been a close friend of mine for over a year...

I don't think what I want is really self centered. I want to be in a relationship with someone I care about as much as this person. I would also like more friends and ways to meet more women tbh. I feel like I just don't meet new people that often cause I kinda live outside the city and I don't go out much.

Why don't you go out more often? How far from the city do you live?

Why don't you go out more often? How far from the city do you live?

Yea, I think I'm going to start forcing myself to go out on weekends.

I suppose I should make a list of places that might interest me and where I could meet people.

30-40 minute drive.

Where do you guys meet new people besides work or dating apps?

True I guess. I always expect people I'm dating to have days where they are down or need some cheering up/emotional support. But still.... it's only been 24 hours. How do you even know someone that well to ask them for emotional support after just 24 hours of knowing them

A dick pic seems like the perfect response :p

Put a mickey mouse hat on it

The chances of that working actually in this scenario don't seem that bad. Not that I would do it personally.

I suppose I should make a list of places that might interest me and where I could meet people.

30-40 minute drive.

Do you have any friends in the city you can stay with over the weekend? Maybe head in on a Saturday night and stay over so you don't drive home after drinking.

Clubs/pubs are obvious starting points.

I don't think what I want is really self centered. I want to be in a relationship with someone I care about as much as this person.

Can't help you as much here if you don't say what the issue is or your relationahip with this person as it currently is. Peltz isn't trying to be an ass, with what you have provided we can't help you much more than "try to move on".

I would also like more friends and ways to meet more women tbh. I feel like I just don't meet new people that often cause I kinda live outside the city and I don't go out much.

Meetup websites are a good way to make friends. I wouldnt use them to meet women but a deeper friend pool opens up opportunities. Maybe try that. Maybe also try joining a gym, sports team, activity like climbing or a book club. Something that gets you out of the house.

FyreWulff

tell her to watch a Disney movie

30-40 minute drive.

I usually do pretty well sitting at the bar at a pub. People usually seem to be pretty open to chat it up. I ended up having a great day on wednesday doing that. Ended up going bar hopping with this dude and meeting a bunch of other people.

Would going on a date cheer her up? ;)

Translation: I'm bored, give me attention but I cant be bothered to put any effort into starting a conversation.

Just respond to her with "U OK hun?". Report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom