• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I took the train up on Saturday and went out with the girl I'm dating. And we hung out with my club bestie, had tapas, and hit up Adventure Club (they killed it) before me and the girl peeled off.

This morning we slept in, had coffee, and watched Moana.

I think this is this a regular thing now.

:|

dcelw540

So, I took the train up on Saturday and went out with the girl I'm dating. And we hung out with my club bestie, had tapas, and hit up Adventure Club (they killed it) before me and the girl peeled off.

This morning we slept in, had coffee, and watched Moana.

I think this is this a regular thing now.

:|
Success? Is this a good thing for you or not really?

Is it weird for a 28 yr old (me) to go out with a 21 year old? It's within the age/2+7 rule, just barely. :p

I don't really expect anything from it, but the main convo I've been carrying on OKC has been with someone that age, and it would be good to get out there since I've been out of dating for over half a year.

No. That rule is for the weak and the cowardly.

At 41, I'm dating a 23 year old.

Don't let other people shame you out of good, clean fun.

Success? Is this a good thing for you or not really?

Oh, mostly being facetious. Channeling proto-Peltz in that, you know, I'd like to see new boobs. And, it's not as if we're exclusive (although, we have weekends set aside, so I guess we 98% are), plus it's incredibly new.

We'll see how it goes.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Alright, I met someone new at a con. I was told about this girl at a church by this lady who happens to be her Aunt. This was back in 2015, by the way. She figured since we had the same hobbies then we could be friends or more (I guess). So I finally met her this year, but before that, I experienced my first high too. (funny experience) So, I left the rave at the con because it was lame even when high, I saw her going up the escalator, and I called her name, ran up to her to introduce myself. We chatted about a few things like taste in video games, family, anime of course, etc. Hell, she let me touch her waist, didn't even phase her nothing. She should she was drunk herself but not drunk-drunk. I got a hug afterward. (yeah)

What do I think? I mean, I like her aesthetics? Like how she dye's her hair and blends them. She's kinda cute even though, I thought she was into girls. She seems like she's hardcore into gaming/anime as well. She collects figures like I do too.

Would I date her? I wouldn't say no to her but if she just wants to be friends it wouldn't hurt me too much. I think I should keep talking to her and see what happens. With a girl like her, I don't want to make her do anything she doesn't want to do.

This is pretty much what I told ZackieChan on I.G.

blah blah.

With a girl like her, I want to make her do anything she doesn't want to do.

Wall of text on how you like a girl. And a weird comment at the end.

You like her. Look at the title. Just ask her out already! ;)

And don't worry about that. She'll say no if she doesn't want to.

Best of luck on your future, aestheticly pleasing, Mrs.

velociraptor

Just an FYI--this mindset is gross. Today it's her eating habits, what's tomorrow's thing to control?

I was the guy you're portraying now except substitute physical health for mental. Learned a lot of lessons along the way but the most important one is you can be the support and the motivation for someone to change, but you sure as shit can't force it.

Peltz is giving you advice that it took me a long time to truly understand-- you need someone who aligns with you because it's who they are not because you imposed your will.
Yes it's gross to prevent obesity.

Yes it's gross to prevent obesity.

Why do you want to waste the effort trying to change someone into what they're not?

You clearly resent your girlfriend. Based on your stated parameters, you have two choices: control her eating habits and exercise regimen, or dump her. The first is orders of magnitude more shitty than the second.

Look, this is all a function of time. She wants to eat, be happy, and perhaps get a little chubby. Maybe when she tries to fit into her favorite dress, she'll be like, damn, gotta hit the gym. Or maybe she'll dismiss it entirely -- it's her choice. On your end, you're also putting in work (more than me, admittedly) in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If that's a priority for you, then find someone who's a better fit.

Honestly, the longer I do this shit, the more I realize that there are certain things that are simply undeniable dealbreakers: (1) religion, (2) wanting or not wanting kids, (3) partying or not partying, and (4) focusing on health or not.

To anchor that into reality, the current girl I'm seeing? Not religious, not baby crazy, and will pound beers or raspberry Stoli on a Saturday night with me at an EDM show before working her ass off at the gym Mon-Fri so she stays thin.

If you want someone who'll count macros and wake up at 6am Sunday morning for a run, that's not your current girl, but go find someone who is. I will absolutely not be your competition for her.

Went against all advice and sent her a message.
Just asked how she was doing.

Figure it can't do any harm.
Either she's not interested and it does nothing, or she was entirely honest about not being ready for anything now and it opens communication for the possibility of something in the future.

FyreWulff

Which is precisely why it's so important to stamp out all bad habits at this stage.

She doesn't want to be controlled, sure, but it's for her own damn benefit. If only more people were open to reason and logic.

Stop treating her like she's a goddamn child. You're being extremely controlling and manipulative and are forgetting other people are not you and are their own person. Keep your OCD directed at yourself and nobody else.

Honestly, the longer I do this shit, the more I realize that there are certain things that are simply undeniable dealbreakers: (1) religion, (2) wanting or not wanting kids, (3) partying or not partying, and (4) focusing on health or not.

To anchor that into reality, the current girl I'm seeing? Not religious, not baby crazy, and will pound beers or raspberry Stoli on a Saturday night with me at an EDM show before working her ass off at the gym Mon-Fri so she stays thin.

I thought religion would be a deal breaker for me... but in all honesty, it isnt. My girl is pretty religious, coming from a pretty religious country (the Phillipines). I was pretty open about not really believing in religion, but her response was "so? I'm not going to discriminate against you or make you go to church."

She is pretty awesome though. From my experiences, that attitude isn't very common.

Jzero

I thought religion would be a deal breaker for me... but in all honesty, it isnt. My girl is pretty religious, coming from a pretty religious country (the Phillipines). I was pretty open about not really believing in religion, but her response was "so? I'm not going to discriminate against you or make you go to church."
She is pretty awesome though. From my experiences, that attitude isn't very common.
Yea that's the problem. Most religious people want to change you, especially when you're dating one. You just got lucky.

velociraptor

Why do you want to waste the effort trying to change someone into what they're not?

You clearly resent your girlfriend. Based on your stated parameters, you have two choices: control her eating habits and exercise regimen, or dump her. The first is orders of magnitude more shitty than the second.

Look, this is all a function of time. She wants to eat, be happy, and perhaps get a little chubby. Maybe when she tries to fit into her favorite dress, she'll be like, damn, gotta hit the gym. Or maybe she'll dismiss it entirely -- it's her choice. On your end, you're also putting in work (more than me, admittedly) in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If that's a priority for you, then find someone who's a better fit.

If you want someone who'll count macros and wake up at 6am Sunday morning for a run, that's not your current girl, but go find someone who is. I will absolutely not be your competition for her.
I don't resent her. I love her and care about her. But I suppose time will tell if we have any future together now. My efforts in creating a conversation about this escalated into a huge argument - she suggested maybe we shouldn't be together then if you're going to try and control me. Yeah I admit, I shouldn't be forcing my views on others but when it comes to weight and appearance it's a deal breaker. One of the reasons why I am attracted to her is how she looks right now. Tbh if I end up marrying someone, I would want them to try and remain fit and slim for their entire life.

AcridMeat

Banned
Tbh if I end up marrying someone, I would want them to try and remain fit and slim for their entire life.
Ha...haha

Life is long man, things change a lot. The only way you're guaranteeing anyone is staying fit and healthy is winning not only the genetic, but the health lottery as well for life.

I'm sorry but the "try and remain fit" sounds to me like "she will be slim or I'm gone." I'm definitely not giving you credit, but that's just based on your posts I've seen. Take her out to a nice meal, or cook for her, and talk it out nicely in a way that doesn't make you sound like a control freak.

Salamando

I need to let my "give no fucks" part take control more often. Talking to a girl on OKC...asked for nudes...received nudes? Surprised the hell out me.

Only issue - she hates when adults cling to childish things like Harry Potter, and I'm a major Disneyphile. This conversation started when I asked if she was interested in a Harry Potter-themed ball hosted by a local museum. It's an opportunity to get drunk underneath dinosaur skeletons while dressed fancy. Closest I'll ever get to a "defence against the dark arts" class. Repulsed by the idea.

(asked about Disney directly, would never go to Disneyworld for anything)

Xun

I need to let my "give no fucks" part take control more often. Talking to a girl on OKC...asked for nudes...received nudes? Surprised the hell out me.

Only issue - she hates when adults cling to childish things like Harry Potter, and I'm a major Disneyphile. This conversation started when I asked if she was interested in a Harry Potter-themed ball hosted by a local museum. It's an opportunity to get drunk underneath dinosaur skeletons while dressed fancy. Closest I'll ever get to a "defence against the dark arts" class. Repulsed by the idea.

...but Disney World is the best.

Drop all contact with her.

Go out with her, and during post-coitus bust out this monologue:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Tell her it was said by CS Lewis and then bail the fuck out

Had a pretty decent weekend even in my `no one is interesting` phase.

We threw a home party at one of my friends places Friday, basically in Japan that consists of getting a bunch of booze, food and snacks, and inviting about equal amounts of the opposite sex over lol. Was ok, had great food, drinks, and talks with people while listening to music and hanging out. The ladies were pretty miss than hit. Two were pretty, others were... ahem, not much so one seeminly older -shrug- They were mostly boring outside two ladies I already knew. One of which while pretty and likes to party, has a `reputation` as they say which I could care less about cause double standards are some bull shit.

Anyway two of the guys invited there were the real killer of the situation. The ladies left early because they were acting like assholes the entire time. One guy is just a moron who tries to have sex with whoever he finds to brag about it, the other is fucking married and still tries to find ladies to hook up with to brag about and pretend to be the man and what not. Both of them are douche bags. When the ladies left (aside from two) they immdiately started talking shit like `I could have if I wanted too...` god I hate these types of people. After a while we were all just hanging out and one of the drunk guys whos married keeps grabbing and trying to kiss all over a second lady there, who for all his shit talking was not as cute or young as the other ladies... but that dont matter when your the man right!

-eyeroll-

Still though the guy who invited us was great, other guests were cool. Did not ruin my life but know I can never be nice to these fuckers when I see them lol. The house we had it at was a pain to get to, but holy crap the place was big, the view is crazy, and the owner was like like `yeah its too hard to walk up the hill so I just stay with my girlfriend near downtown` rofl. rich people man...

Saturday was good!

Had our big meet people and make friends thingy that we throw. Met some nice people and some pretty ladies to talk too. Pretty fun dinner, sadly the ones I was more interested in left early and did not go to the second part. Which is good because my friends GF has been slightly shipping a relationship between me and her friend haha. We were kinda forced into hanging out after first which was fine since we get along well and was not akward for us... so mabye in the future >.>

She wants to do group date/hang out together more soon so we`ll see. Was definitely better than drunk hookups which burned me out. Doesn`t hurt that shes cute.

-phew- one more month then I can go on vacation and escape this place for a few weeks. I NEED IT GAF!

artsi

Ha...haha

Life is long man, things change a lot. The only way you're guaranteeing anyone is staying fit and healthy is winning not only the genetic, but the health lottery as well for life.

I'm sorry but the "try and remain fit" sounds to me like "she will be slim or I'm gone." I'm definitely not giving you credit, but that's just based on your posts I've seen. Take her out to a nice meal, or cook for her, and talk it out nicely in a way that doesn't make you sound like a control freak.

I hope he does actually cook considering the recent "women belong in the kitchen lololol" joke that got them in a fight last time.

What about other "childish" things like videogames, what's her take on that? Is there anything geeky she's into? I'm not into Harry Potter at all while lots of girls are but I don't bother disrespecting their tastes.

I hope he does actually cook considering the recent "women belong in the kitchen lololol" joke that got them in a fight last time.

Oh wait, that was him? Lmao, he seems way too controlling and condescending towards his girlfriend. Hope she sees the red flags and bails.

Models and the Subtle Art of not Giving a Fuck both changed my life. Very great books.

I'll look into these, thanks!

Drinking age in the UK is 18 so as a 33 year old, my rule would be 20+.

Drinking age 18 represent!

What about other "childish" things like videogames, what's her take on that? Is there anything geeky she's into? I'm not into Harry Potter at all while lots of girls are but I don't bother disrespecting their tastes.

Any future girls I'm in a relationship with will have to at least tolerate the fact that I like video games and anime at a minimum, probs. I wouldn't drop the things I'm passionate about for someone else haha. Luckily I'm not even close to being as addicted as I once was.

Salamando

She considers herself a nerd, particularly about books, movies, and music. Loves museums and science and shit, despite being in school for Law. And I'ma be honest, once nudes entered the picture, discussions on hobbies fell by the wayside...explaining my Avatar: the Last Airbender tattoo might be a little difficult, even though it is a badass tattoo.

I just think it's fun to pretend to be a kid again. Play in playgrounds after dark, go to amusement parks, play games, all that jazz...not living in your childhood mind you, just revisit it. I don't have a wand, I don't have robes, and I don't have a stuffed owl, but damned would I have some fun getting drunk on Goblet of Fire(ball)s!

She considers herself a nerd, particularly about books, movies, and music. Loves museums and science and shit, despite being in school for Law. And I'ma be honest, once nudes entered the picture, discussions on hobbies fell by the wayside...explaining my Avatar: the Last Airbender tattoo might be a little difficult, even though it is a badass tattoo.

I just think it's fun to pretend to be a kid again. Play in playgrounds after dark, go to amusement parks, play games, all that jazz...not living in your childhood mind you, just revisit it. I don't have a wand, I don't have robes, and I don't have a stuffed owl, but damned would I have some fun getting drunk on Goblet of Fire(ball)s!

1. The whole science-ish interest while studying law seems somewhat common. Currently doing legal services and I'm super into astronomy, while a good portion of others in my class are into biology, history or astronomy themselves. It's weird.

2. Pics of tattoo? Sounds dope as fuck.
For some reason my mind wandered to you getting Zuko's burns tattooed on your face and it gave me a good laugh.

3. Everything you listed as fun is indeed fun. Especially the drinking thing... or more so the other listed things after drinking haha

I don't resent her. I love her and care about her. But I suppose time will tell if we have any future together now. My efforts in creating a conversation about this escalated into a huge argument - she suggested maybe we shouldn't be together then if you're going to try and control me. Yeah I admit, I shouldn't be forcing my views on others but when it comes to weight and appearance it's a deal breaker. One of the reasons why I am attracted to her is how she looks right now. Tbh if I end up marrying someone, I would want them to try and remain fit and slim for their entire life.

You don't sound like a particularly nice guy, I'm sorry to say. Maybe it became a huge argument because you act like kind of a jerk. Good luck finding someone to marry, but around here we like to help the "good guys," not the bad guys. Maybe I shouldn't speak for more than myself, but I think a lot of the other regulars would agree.

K, don't regret texting at all.

She sent me a big ol' message saying her and her bf of two years broke up a couple months back, and she's still pretty messed up, and doesn't want to hurt me when she doesn't know what she wants right now.

That's what I figured was the case, but it's at least nice to know for sure. Tells me that it actually is that old excuse of "it's not you, it's me". But I mean of course it is, I'm a great catch so I could never be the problem.

I'll tell her that if she ever wants to talk, to not hesitate to get in touch.

But yeah not gonna get hung up on her anymore, it's her problem and there's nothing I can do about it.

Ah well.

If she considers herself a nerd then what she got against Harry Potter and Disney? lol. As long as you're not extreme about it. Is the tattoo fairly abstract, like she can't tell it's from Avatar? Like the fire nation symbol or something? It should be fine.

You don't sound like a particularly nice guy, I'm sorry to say. Maybe it became a huge argument because you act like kind of a jerk. Good luck finding someone to marry, but around here we like to help the "good guys," not the bad guys. Maybe I shouldn't speak for more than myself, but I think a lot of the other regulars would agree.
velociraptor is a heel in this thread since that sexist girl kitchen joke a couple of weeks ago. Blamed her for being offended then took the lesson that not to say anything negative to her instead of sorting himself out.

Why do girls get offended by everything?

I texted my gf what she was up to. She said 'making tea for the family... why am I in charge of tea?'

I replied back 'because you're a girl and you belong in the kitchen lolololol'

I was clearly joking.

She took great offence to that and said she is really, really upset by me. I told her it was clearly a joke, but she said it was a horrible thing to say and couldn't believe what I said.

Why can't they take a joke? Why so sensitive?

084.png

"why are all women so sensitive"
"why can't any women take a joke"
"why do women get upset when I'm sexist"

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

If you have to do sexist humor, and you don't, at least say it in a clever or original way.

Dude maybe because that's more like a 4chan troll post than a joke.

Yeah I know - all gloves are off when I'm with my mates.

But I've learned my lesson now. Can't say anything negative to her. To be honest, she's a really sensitive/emotional girl. I'm trying to change her but it's so goddamn hard.

velociraptor

velociraptor is a heel in this thread since that sexist girl kitchen joke a couple of weeks ago. Blamed her for being offended then took the lesson that not to say anything negative to her instead of sorting himself out.
Giving advice regarding health =/= saying negative things

So when it rains it pours, after a few dates with various people that didn't go anywhere, I kinda gave up trying and somehow ended up in a situation where I've met two people who I'm casually dating. I don't think I'm leading any of them on but I got the feeling at least one of them is on a different mindset, so eventually something will give.

velociraptor

I'm a nice guy though :(

No I wasn't a jerk about it. I brought it up casually and calmly.

Salamando

If she considers herself a nerd then what she got against Harry Potter and Disney? lol. As long as you're not extreme about it. Is the tattoo fairly abstract, like she can't tell it's from Avatar? Like the fire nation symbol or something? It should be fine.
I dunno. I guess she hates fandoms? I wasn't asking her to live in their world, just to visit it for a night. If they wanna wait for their letter to Hogwarts the other 364 days a year, that'll affect us none.

Tattoo's the Earth symbol, could pass it off as Mayan or something but fuck that. If I have to lie to a girl about what my tattoo is, I ain't getting with her.

Your first post on this topic was about how to convince your GF to eat healthy. Not "I may have screwed things up after letting an issue escalate too far. How can I recover?" It would be easier to buy that you're a nice guy if you showed remorse at how you approached things.

Some really comforting language you're using there :/

And y'all don't remind me that big people who get (somewhat) thin struggle to keep it off 😭 I've kept it off since 2014 so far, but it's hard, especially when I'm constantly injured and depressed.

No no, he's a nice guy...

And I know that struggle too well

Giving advice regarding health =/= saying negative things

You say this, but then your other posts are about how you're worried about your sexual attraction fading, not her increased health risks due to weight gain.

Yeah and that didn't work, so now you're considering escalating it to threats. After all, it's for her own damn good, right? Soooo nice dude 🙃

Stop reminding me pls.

Fuck traveling for work has ruined what little progress I had been making this year on my diet and exercise. It's been mentally and physically draining.

I did hook up a couple of times though which was nice, but that's not the same as finding someone to date long term of course.
You can make exercise work into your schedule, I believe in you. The first few weeks are always the hardest. I has very few hours of sleep daily the first few months I was weightlifting but I still felt so much better about myself.

Dude she's not a dog.
LMAO

velociraptor

You say this, but then your other posts are about how you're worried about your sexual attraction fading, not her increased health risks due to weight gain.

Yeah and that didn't work, so now you're considering escalating it to threats. After all, it's for her own damn good, right? Soooo nice dude ��
Why not both? The two things go hand in hand. I've always liked slim girls, but at the same time, it's also important to consider the health implications. It's why I personally try to avoid 'junk' as much as possible. Of course we are all human and can enjoy sweet stuff time from time but it's just not very attractive to see someone binging on shit. It implies they have no self-control or mental strength, and just don't give a fuck about the long-term picture.

For example, a recent Canadian study implied 1 in 2 people will get cancer.
”This report underscores how important it is to focus on healthy behaviours and healthy public policies to reduce the number of people hearing the words ‘you have cancer' each year," says Smith. ”Actions like quitting smoking, eating well, being physically active and practising sun safety, along with appropriate cancer screening tests, can go a long way to reducing your risk of getting cancer."

I admit I'm a obsessive compulsive hypochondriac but we all want the best for those we care about, although the way I've typed it out in this thread gives the impression I'm a total dick. I suppose I'm a bit cold hearted if I'm willing to leave a girl based on her weight though. But I have to be honest with myself here - it gives me mental anquish and stress to see someone consistently eat bad food/gain weight and I'd rather not put up with that at all!

Why not both? The two things go hand in hand. I've always liked slim girls, but at the same time, it's also important to consider the health implications. It's why I personally try to avoid 'junk' as much as possible. Of course we are all human and can enjoy sweet stuff time from time but it's just not very attractive to see someone binging on shit. It implies they have no self-control or mental strength, and just don't give a fuck about the long-term picture.

For example, a recent Canadian study implied 1 in 2 people will get cancer.
“This report underscores how important it is to focus on healthy behaviours and healthy public policies to reduce the number of people hearing the words ‘you have cancer’ each year,” says Smith. “Actions like quitting smoking, eating well, being physically active and practising sun safety, along with appropriate cancer screening tests, can go a long way to reducing your risk of getting cancer.”

I admit I'm a obsessive compulsive hypochondriac but we all want the best for those we care about, although the way I've typed it out in this thread gives the impression I'm a total dick. I suppose I'm a bit cold hearted if I'm willing to leave a girl based on her weight though. But I have to be honest with myself here - it gives me mental anquish and stress to see someone consistently eat bad food/gain weight and I'd rather not put up with that at all!

You aint saying anything here bruh. You tried to be bossy about her eating habits, she told you to fuck off and now you gotta decide whether you are in or out. Frankly whether you are a nice guy or an asshole or w/e is irrelevant. You know you either accept her choice or you don't.

There is nothing further to discuss.

gaiages

Banned
Wouldn't we all man? Wouldn't we all?

Congrats on the regular sex tho :)

That's what the internet is for

Boobs, boobs everywhere

Tbh if I end up marrying someone, I would want them to try and remain fit and slim for their entire life.

l o l

Wait hold on, this is that same guy? Holy shit this guy, he's a terrible boyfriend

Your attitude in this thread about the joke AND the health thing makes me think you're not very nice. Not understanding why someone isn't exactly like you and can get offended at things you don't get offended about shows that you lack basic empathy that nice people have. It's something you can change, but you have to be open to reading the room, per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom