• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Fes |OT| Free GAF-made games for any 3DS owner inside!

Ventara

I'm still on the fence with this. I like the idea of easily making my own RPGs on a portable system and that I can download and play other user-created levels, but I'm worried I might just become lazy about it and give up (lol) and that most of the more serious makers won't bother with the more limited 3DS version. I also have RPG Maker from one of the Humble Bundles.

Nabbed a random one that someone had put up, something about "Blaze the Dragon", I forget the actual title. The first enemy obliterated me. Can't recommend that one at all, lol.
It's a rough start! I beat it, it's only like 20 minutes long. Each level up gets huge stat gains so after like three levels you can steamroll anything.
It was a cute idea of a game!

AniHawk

just played it a little bit, but i had fun setting an npc so that they run towards you at top speed (no matter where you are on the map) just to tell you they were a vegan.

woopWOOP

Man, I'm really on the fence whether I should get this or not still

Does this version allow you to make custom spell/attack animations with the set sprites included, or are all animations non-customisable too?

Gin-Shiio

just played it a little bit, but i had fun setting an npc so that they run towards you at top speed (no matter where you are on the map) just to tell you they were a vegan.

9b518e60423b3b72638f0639669049b0--art-final-final-fantasy-xv.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are asset sets usable only in their associated world? I.e., you can only use sci-fi assets if you start with a sci-fi world? Just a wild guess. I don't have the game yet.

mix all

please post name of game i want to play it yesterday

Dragoshi1

Got release day delivery for this, anyone know how RPGs are saved, ones you make or DL?

My bro and I both wanted this, as we both heavily use MV and Ace. So I want to know if one cartridge can be shared.

Got release day delivery for this, anyone know how RPGs are saved, ones you make or DL?

My bro and I both wanted this, as we both heavily use MV and Ace. So I want to know if one cartridge can be shared.

Well, the ones I downloaded with the player are downloaded into save slots like save files; each one was tiny, like 2 to 5 blocks in size. I assume the ones you make work the same way.

Thores

What time are Tuesday games made available on the US eshop? I thought it was midnight eastern in the past, but RPGMF isn't downloadable just yet. Is it actually midnight pacific? Or is it not a predictable thing for non- first party titles?

What time are Tuesday games made available on the US eshop? I thought it was midnight eastern in the past, but RPGMF isn't downloadable just yet. Is it actually midnight pacific? Or is it not a predictable thing for non- first party titles?
First party goes up at midnight EST, other games update during the usual eshop update time which is around noon EST.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's something really magical about this game throwing you to the wolves and being all "Figure it out yourself idiot." It's hard and borderline frustrating, but it's fun.

Are there plans for additional tilesets? I didn't see any over lunch. I'd love a modern set.

Dingens

There's something really magical about this game throwing you to the wolves and being all "Figure it out yourself idiot." It's hard and borderline frustrating, but it's fun.

Are there plans for additional tilesets? I didn't see any over lunch. I'd love a modern set.

there's a lot of "modern" dlc out for Japan (some of it for free). I expect it to come over eventually.

https://tkool.jp/fes/dlc.html

just click the links for samples

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm tempted to get this - I hope the community lasts long enough to play the masterpiece I will inevitably create (it will not be very good).

I see the community dying relatively quickly...Until someone creates a game with similar penetration as Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, at which point the internet will shit their pants and everyone will start making RPGs.

AniHawk

fnAHGWG.jpg

laharl (disgaea)
killia (disgaea 5)
ash (phantom brave)
hero prinny
kurtis prinny
blue prinny
usalia (disgaea 5)
seraphina (disgaea 5)
flonne (disgaea)
etna (disgaea)
maronna (phantom brave)

Why isn't there any DLC in NA? Europe got them why not us? Need horror & Modern NOW!

It didn't seem like there would be any black characters, but there are a couple alts. Extremly happy theres a black girl with blue hair, even if she is an elf.

I figured I'd poke at the thread to see what others thought about the game.

But that. That is perfect.

I'm actually doing ok at creating a The Witch's House inspired horror game with the base set but yeah, want that dlc. NISA YOU HAVE FAILED!

I hope yall play my game when I'm done with it, but it will be janky. Only save at save points is all I'm saying lol.

Also found out "fuck" and "shit" can't be typed but "damn" can. So glad gay or lesbian wasn't banned or I'd be pissed since I plan to create many lesbian stories. As long as nothing related to transgender is banned then we good,

Anyway to change game over music? Or have an npc give you an item only when you have another item? Its alot to take in as someone who doesn't know much about game dev at all. Only played four and ahalf hours. Can't stop.

Pretty much finished with 2/20ths of my game. It takes awhile and its now only about 3 minutes long. >_<

Are there jumpscares in the horror DLC btw? Trying to lookup anything online and I basically can't find anything. Which is shocking considering how long its been out in Japan.

Also must say I am surprised at so many even options. Upto 99 text boxes in a row sure is something. Also nice variety of character art. Dunno why they don't advertise it all. Hope its a success!

This thread should already be 70+ pages of hype. Its that good. SMH NeoGAF.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm mobile, so pardon my poor response.

1) For the item question, create an event with multiple pages. You can set the triggers on page 2 to include "Hero is holding a specific item".

2) I can't find a way to change the game over music.

3) Jump scares can be done by having effects trigger on an event as you walk over a space. There likely are no screaming zombie witches or anything like that.

Learn to use switches and timers and triggers and stuff. There's a lot of power in this little package, but you'll have to get creative to get the most out of it.

This is way more intuitive than I thought. Not gonna touch combat yet, but I should have a fully functional ferch-quest/exploring-style game fully functional within the week. I'm so proud of myself for figuring out how to trigger events based on holding items given to you by other NPCs!

It's more an interactive story than anything I guess, but I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I'm mobile, so pardon my poor response.

1) For the item question, create an event with multiple pages. You can set the triggers on page 2 to include "Hero is holding a specific item".

2) I can't find a way to change the game over music.

3) Jump scares can be done by having effects trigger on an event as you walk over a space. There likely are no screaming zombie witches or anything like that.

Learn to use switches and timers and triggers and stuff. There's a lot of power in this little package, but you'll have to get creative to get the most out of it.
Alright. Thanks! :)

Will have to mess around with it more to truly see all the options. Really happy with this purchase.

B_Signal

Is there a guide for this?

I want to make something where you play as the monsters, but after a play around yesterday I'm not even sure if that's possible :(

I was also trying to lock people in to a path with what I thought were small trees, but seemingly people can walk over them and houses. I need a was to make an event spread across a fairly large area, which I'm fairly sure is possible

N4Us

Also found out "fuck" and "shit" can't be typed but "damn" can. So glad gay or lesbian wasn't banned or I'd be pissed since I plan to create many lesbian stories. As long as nothing related to transgender is banned then we good,

I was setting "Just watch" as dialogue and it thought I was putting down "T wat", haha

Amalthea

Banned
Is there a guide for this?

I want to make something where you play as the monsters, but after a play around yesterday I'm not even sure if that's possible :(

I was also trying to lock people in to a path with what I thought were small trees, but seemingly people can walk over them and houses. I need a was to make an event spread across a fairly large area, which I'm fairly sure is possible
To design monster characters you just have to set the player character graphics to monster sprites in the party editor (their icon is the black wolf face with the glowing eyes).

And while most objects have predetermined colision data you can customize the colision for each map. If you press B im the map editor there will pop up a menu screen on the lefthand border. There should be a button that reads Colision. Press it and you'll be able to edit the colisions on the next screen.

There's also the e-manual on the Home screen of course.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The OP says a game can be max about 1 meg, how does that translate into how much content can be put in?

B_Signal

To design monster characters you just have to set the player character graphics to monster sprites in the party editor (their icon is the black wolf face with the glowing eyes).

And while most objects have predetermined colision data you can customize the colision for each map. If you press B im the map editor there will pop up a menu screen on the lefthand border. There should be a button that reads Colision. Press it and you'll be able to edit the colisions on the next screen.

There's also the e-manual on the Home screen of course.

Thanks. I'm in work but I'll give that a look later

The OP says a game can be max about 1 meg, how does that translate into how much content can be put in?
Well after about 6 hours I have about 8 minutes worth of game and its at 10%. but I think it started at 8% full so it can be pretty big if I only used up 2%. Keep in mind I am creating more of a horror/puzzle/no battle game and it may use up more if you do a lot of battles. But overall it seems pretty big.

The Dink

While I like the look of some of the assets and the Mario Maker-esque upload system, the memory size limit for your game and lack of features compared to their PC equivalents (though understandable) makes this title a pass for me. Might check out what the community comes out with on occasion, though the quality of the titles within the first few years will probably be...well bad.

Kinda off topic i guess, but one of the best RPGs i ever played was made in this, but on the PC.

Exit Fate? To the Moon? Lisa? :D

Dingens

While I like the look of some of the assets and the Mario Maker-esque upload system, the memory size limit for your game and lack of features compared to their PC equivalents (though understandable) makes this title a pass for me. Might check out what the community comes out with on occasion, though the quality of the titles within the first few years will probably be...well bad.

Exit Fate? To the Moon? Lisa? :D

I'd rather say Vampires Dawn, Unterwegs in Düsterburg and others from an era when rpg maker games were made by passionate people who weren't after the money.

I downloaded a game through the player that requested additional content be downloaded to play it. Clicked its link and attempted to find it, found absolutely nothing behing the wall.

Any ideas?

The Dink

I downloaded a game through the player that requested additional content be downloaded to play it. Clicked its link and attempted to find it, found absolutely nothing behing the wall.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I'm guessing that was one of the Japanese titles rights? it looks like you won't be able to play games w/o having the additional content downloaded. This currently isn't possible since the content isn't available for US servers yet. So, we'll either be stuck only being able to download US games or other region's games might be playable once their assets become available for download. We'll see.

I'd rather say Vampires Dawn, Unterwegs in Düsterburg and others from an era when rpg maker games were made by passionate people who weren't after the money.

Lol. What? Is there something wrong with passionate people wanting to be able to make a living off of their work? It's not like the 2k/2k3 age was a shining beacon of indie development. I can only hear Chrono Trigger music and look at ripped assets so many times lol. It had its memorable titles but let's not pretend the whole scene was ruined by current makers allowing users the option to monetize their titles. There's still plenty of developers out there releasing their VX/Ace/MV games for free these days anyway.

Dingens

[...]
Lol. What? Is there something wrong with passionate people wanting to be able to make a living off of their work? It's not like the 2k/2k3 age was a shining beacon of indie development. I can only hear Chrono Trigger music and look at ripped assets so many times lol. It had its memorable titles but let's not pretend the whole scene was ruined by current makers allowing users the option to monetize their titles. There's still plenty of developers out there releasing their VX/Ace/MV games for free these days anyway.

no, but I have still way more respect for those, who create something for the sake of creating something great (call it self-fulfilment if you will) versus those who do the same with the slight hope that they may be able to monetize it in the future.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have to agree with Dingens in some way.

There was something rather nice about the era of the web where pretty much everyone was just making things for the enjoyment of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have to agree with Dingens in some way.

There was something rather nice about the era of the web where pretty much everyone was just making things for the enjoyment of it.

That's still a thing, but it's just hidden in niche corners of the internet. People see successful projects made with RPG Maker, Game Maker, MMF, etc and get excited about their chances. It's only after failure that they realize the hobby nature of their game making days. ;)

Top Bottom