• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

danowat

Banned
Keeping my eyes peeled for some indepth impressions / reviews........

Any mention of Pro specific features anywhere?

mclem

gc2-dlc.jpg

Doesn't gold have massively different physical properties to wood?

Ostinatto

Can i play this game with the 3 button push system or something similar? i dont like the swing system of the first game, can´t play like that.

T-0800

Still watching streams, liking the look of tour mode on the range.

Someone said the flop shot is still broken - surely that's not true? Anyone tried that yet? The flop shot was a farce in the first game.

In what way? As in it was too easy?

U2NUMB

Was able to play a bit last night before I crashed.. game runs FAR better than the first did on the X1 so that alone makes me happy.

Excited to dig deep into the game... seems like a big step up from the last game in every way.

Bessy67

Just impulse bought it for X1. I never played the first but I've been wanting to play a decent golf game. Hopefully I'll enjoy it

-NeoTB1-

I'll be trying it out in a few hours. Remember, let me know either here or via PM if you want your name added to the TGC2 user list. Just be sure to let me know your name and platform.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll be trying it out in a few hours. Remember, let me know either here or via PM if you want your name added to the TGC2 user list. Just be sure to let me know your name and platform.

I'm going PC/Steam this time, so toss me on that list!

ElNino

I'll be playing the Xbox One version.
Gamertag: ElNino77

I loved the first game, easily my favourite golf game since Links 2003 and was my most played game on the XB1 for quite a while. I played on TGC Tours for a while and really liked playing the courses they were choosing for the tournaments, but eventually found getting my weekly rounds in to be a grind so I stopped playing the Tour rounds.

I found it really refreshing to be able to find almost any kind of course, and many very accurate "real" course recreations in the game. While the driving and short game in the first game was sometimes a bit too easy, the putting made up for it... which is why I could never get into the PGA games as I hated their putting mechanics.

-NeoTB1-

I'll be playing the Xbox One version.
Gamertag: ElNino77

I loved the first game, easily my favourite golf game since Links 2003 and was my most played game on the XB1 for quite a while. I played on TGC Tours for a while and really liked playing the courses they were choosing for the tournaments, but eventually found getting my weekly rounds in to be a grind so I stopped playing the Tour rounds.

I found it really refreshing to be able to find almost any kind of course, and many very accurate "real" course recreations in the game. While the driving and short game in the first game was sometimes a bit too easy, the putting made up for it... which is why I could never get into the PGA games as I hated their putting mechanics.

Added. Also, high five for seeing another old school Links fan!

Griss

Anyone know how many new original 'official' courses they are, and if the old official courses have been touched up at all?

Also, you can add me to the list:
Agumen - PS4.

But I'm EU so I won't have the game for a couple of days.

In what way? As in it was too easy?

Yeah, it was way too easy. Getting a standard chip to stop anywhere near the hole was a nightmare, whereas with a flop shop you could drop it within 3 feet of the cup with just a simple flick of your thumb from anywhere around 20-30 yards out. It made shots from deep rough around the green that should have been a nightmare really, really easy. When you'd rather be 30 yards out in deep rough rather than 15 feet away on the fairway there is a problem, lol.

ElNino

Yeah, it was way too easy. Getting a standard chip to stop anywhere near the hole was a nightmare, whereas with a flop shop you could drop it within 3 feet of the cup with just a simple flick of your thumb from anywhere around 20-30 yards out. It made shots from deep rough around the green that should have been a nightmare really, really easy. When you'd rather be 30 yards out in deep rough rather than 15 feet away on the fairway there is a problem, lol.
I'll agree with this. The flop shot was too easy to dial in, while a bump and run or chip shot were much more difficult to control.

HELLO GOLF CLUB TWO OWNERS.

Very important question for you fellas.

Does local multiplayer STILL only let you play with one user signed in or can multiple users sign in with their own profile, IE, contribute to their own stats and money or whatever when we play local.

The first games implementation of local was pretty awful and im using this kind of as my bar to see what they listened to

danowat

Banned
I'm confused about the career mode.

The Career Mode meanwhile sees you playing the role of a Society President, and you take control of your own event schedule, adding in both regular and major tournaments, setting fees and bonus purses, or adding specific requirements to participation. The only downside here, and indeed to the breadth of content included overall, is that it can actually feel pretty overwhelming at times. There is a literal deluge of content, but once you find your way around you'll sink into it.

So that sounds more like a 'manager' mode, than a career mode, I envisaged you starting from pre determined, structured low tier events and moving up the ranks, a la PGA.

But this review seems to indicate something different?

The career mode involves the player advancing through a predetermined or custom made season. Winning these matches will advance the player and grant new clothing and gear.

Xater

Playing on stock PS4, certainly seeing some performance hiccups during a round. Disabled all graphical options, now it's much smoother.

That still doesn't sound great. Might just continue with my plan to wait for Everybody's Golf instead.

Played a few rounds. I love the swing refinements. They didn't screw up the best golf game in decades and in fact made it appreciably better. I actually had some bad full shots! (After hundreds of hours with TGC I didn't think that would be possible...the only challenge was in the short game once you got the swing down). I don't particularly care about the added features as TGCTours is what I'm here for, but most importantly, they didn't ruin a nearly flawless golf game.

Looking forward to hundreds of more hours!

ElNino

Played a few rounds. I love the swing refinements. They didn't screw up the best golf game in decades and in fact made it appreciably better. I actually had some bad full shots! (After hundreds of hours with TGC I didn't think that would be possible...the only challenge was in the short game once you got the swing down). I don't particularly care about the added features as TGCTours is what I'm here for, but most importantly, they didn't ruin a nearly flawless golf game.

Looking forward to hundreds of more hours!
Nice, sounds like a good update to TGC. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

I haven't played a TGCTours event in a while, but I might just get back into it for TGC2.

Orca

I'm confused about the career mode.

So that sounds more like a 'manager' mode, than a career mode, I envisaged you starting from pre determined, structured low tier events and moving up the ranks, a la PGA.

But this review seems to indicate something different?
They just condensed all the stuff you can do to "or custom"

Nice, sounds like a good update to TGC. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

I haven't played a TGCTours event in a while, but I might just get back into it for TGC2.

I was honestly terrified that they would Madden it, and ruin it by half assing some game play tweaks while focusing on the garbage periphery stuff. Happy to report they did not! Still the best sim out there.

I haven't seen if they have plans to provide Skytrak support but when they do I'll give that a shot as well. I really didn't like it in TGC, the simulation was just too much for the software and everything chugged.

krpiper

Does anyone have any plans on making a xbox GAF society? I can try to take a crack at it but it won't be until later tonight when I get home

Orca

The tutorial is skippable, by the way. Just pause it and you can choose to skip it.

The character creation is a lot more in-depth than I expected, or really wanted given that you spend most of the time looking at your character's profile and back. I'd have spent more time on expressive animations reacting to big putts/drives or bad putts/drives.

On Xbox One S, shadow pop in during drives and hole flybys is noticeable. The game hitched a bit at times, but I turned off bloom/depth of field and it got quite a bit better. Might turn off FXAA to see what it looks like.

Also, join my society - Oilers Fans Club! There's a cheap tournament going and I'm a terrible player!

Does anybody know if my wife and I can both play created characters at the same time? Also, does the game have any driving via golf carts...?

Thanks!

Apples_89

Just picked up my copy at lunch. My local EB only received a couple of copies so beware that hard copies may be under-stocked elsewhere.

The multiple swing types stated in the OP has me a little worried. To anyone who has played it already, can you please tell me which mode best emulates the amazing feeling of the original? If possible, I'd like to make all these adjustments from the start, and never look back.

Setzer

I loved the first game, easily my favourite golf game since Links 2003 and was my most played game on the XB1 for quite a while.

I loved the Links games. Played them all throughout the 90's. I remember playing Links 386 version on my 386 20mhz and you'd have to wait like 30 seconds for it to draw each piece of the course for every shot.

I was going to check this game out while I wait for the new Hot Shots but not a big fan of the analog shot system. Is there a demo for this?

Griss

Just picked up my copy at lunch. My local EB only received a couple of copies so beware that hard copies may be under-stocked elsewhere.

The multiple swing types stated in the OP has me a little worried. To anyone who has played it already, can you please tell me which mode best emulates the amazing feeling of the original? If possible, I'd like to make all these adjustments from the start, and never look back.

My understanding is that there's only really one 'swing type' which is the one featured in the first game, but what there are now is 'swing difficulties'. Basically if you leave it at default it's what it was in the first game, and you hit the ball about 270 yards. If you increase the difficulty to 'Player' you can hit the ball 285, but it's much more sensitive to left-right movements and jerky backswing / followthrough on the analogue stick. And 'Tour' difficulty just increases that difficulty to its maximum but allows you to hit it 300 yards.

That's what I saw on a stream last night.

Also in this game it outright tells you whether your backswing was too slow, fast or perfect, and the downswing as well. That was hidden in the last game which was a pain in the ass - I often struggled getting 100% due to swinging too fast.

Playing on Xbox One and performance is way better than last year. Having a network error that stops the tutorial though...

Same here. then a network error dropped me out of the round of golf I played after two shots.

I expected more polish this go around.

And no, they didn't fix commentary. It's copy and pasted from the last game. Just horrid.

Looks better, and I hope the network issues get resolved. But this still feels like an early access game on consoles.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I stopped listening to the commentary after a while. I just listen to a podcast or turn on a movie/TV show on my other screen when playing.

Kud Dukan

My understanding is that there's only really one 'swing type' which is the one featured in the first game, but what there are now is 'swing difficulties'. Basically if you leave it at default it's what it was in the first game, and you hit the ball about 270 yards. If you increase the difficulty to 'Player' you can hit the ball 285, but it's much more sensitive to left-right movements and jerky backswing / followthrough on the analogue stick. And 'Tour' difficulty just increases that difficulty to its maximum but allows you to hit it 300 yards.

That's what I saw on a stream last night.

Also in this game it outright tells you whether your backswing was too slow, fast or perfect, and the downswing as well. That was hidden in the last game which was a pain in the ass - I often struggled getting 100% due to swinging too fast.

I put over 80 hours into the first game, so I decided to switch to Player immediately, and I cannot seem to get my driver to go straight hahaha.

So torn on this game. Not sure if I should just wait for HSG in August.

Some more reviews for the OP:

Gaming Nexus - 4.9/10.0
COGConnected - 77/100
The Sixth Axis - 8.0/10.0

I now know to never take Gaming Nexus seriously.

The game is really good. They really nailed all important aspects of golf. I don't know how to play online and there is nothing to point you in the right direction. Presentation is still subpar. If you want a golf simulation that will challenge you, TGC2 is for you.

Top Bottom