• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So torn on this game. Not sure if I should just wait for HSG in August.

Some more reviews for the OP:

Gaming Nexus - 4.9/10.0
COGConnected - 77/100
The Sixth Axis - 8.0/10.0

That Gaming Nexus review is fantastic. Clearly written by a guy who knows virtually nothing about how golf works.

Another problem that goes along with the stick issue is there is no power bar to show how hard your swing is. Your back-swing starts and you have from rest to a point somewhere along the very top of your swing. That would be bad enough, but then it varies from club to club as to how hard a certain point on the swing is. Now take that and add 5 different shot types (chip, punch, etc) and you have a mess of possibilities. This sort of works ok for the drive, but it is lousy for chipping and putting.... and fairways... and bunkers... you get the idea.

Holy shit :lol

Orca

Same here. then a network error dropped me out of the round of golf I played after two shots.

I expected more polish this go around.

And no, they didn't fix commentary. It's copy and pasted from the last game. Just horrid.

Looks better, and I hope the network issues get resolved. But this still feels like an early access game on consoles.

If you're playing a round you can resume it when you get connected again. Network has been better this morning.

I don't mind the commentary. I noticed it's more laid back with new lines and not quite so 'frat boys golfing' as it felt last time, but even then I didn't mind it that much. It's a nice change of pace from the normal stuff.

Orca

That Gaming Nexus review is fantastic. Clearly written by a guy who knows virtually nothing about how golf works.

Holy shit :lol

Loved how he was apparently playing with the top level clubs, thinking they'd be better...not realizing that they magnify any small problem in your swing. He'd have been better off by switching down to the player clubs.

Apples_89

My understanding is that there's only really one 'swing type' which is the one featured in the first game, but what there are now is 'swing difficulties'. Basically if you leave it at default it's what it was in the first game, and you hit the ball about 270 yards. If you increase the difficulty to 'Player' you can hit the ball 285, but it's much more sensitive to left-right movements and jerky backswing / followthrough on the analogue stick. And 'Tour' difficulty just increases that difficulty to its maximum but allows you to hit it 300 yards.

That's what I saw on a stream last night.

Also in this game it outright tells you whether your backswing was too slow, fast or perfect, and the downswing as well. That was hidden in the last game which was a pain in the ass - I often struggled getting 100% due to swinging too fast.

Thanks for the response. I was worried they may have made default swing from the first game the most difficult, and dummed down the other options to make it more mainstream; great to hear that's not the case.

Klocker

Loved how he was apparently playing with the top level clubs, thinking they'd be better...not realizing that they magnify any small problem in your swing. He'd have been better off by switching down to the player clubs.

Yeah these reviewers don't know what they are talking about they are reviewing this game like it's 2008 Tiger Woods or some nonsense.

I've only played a few rounds and I have played basically every golf game since 1994 and this to me plays the most realistic game of golf that I have ever played it's not perfect but it is an amazing game for what I've always wanted

Can't wait to see it on the Xbox x just for no tearing and better filtration hopefully they will do a patch for the X would be awesome with upgraded textures.

But yeah gameplay and swing is solid it's about feel and timing not a power bar yuck

Griss

I think some reviewers and players don't understand that TGC is trying to play a more realistic game of golf - meaning that you can't just dial in your distance to the yard and you can't read a grid that will tell you there is exactly three feet of downhill break, which equates to 3 notches on your power bar etc.

In other golf games it's easy to know exactly what you have to do to get the ball to go exactly where you want it to, and then the challenge is executing the button presses with correct timing - the more difficult the shot the more difficult the timing.

But in real golf there's a lot of guesswork, a lot of 'grey-area' when it comes to hitting shots and reading the course. Even pros mess up their yardages all the time - you'll see Jordan Spieth put an easy PW 10 yards short of the green in a bunker, for example. The Golf Club tries to introduce that into the game, and I think it does a good job, especially when putting, which you really have to do by 'feel', like the real thing, rather than being able to develop any kind of mathematical formula like in Everybody's Golf or Mario Golf etc.

In fact, that's why I felt like the 'shot shaper' grid in the first game was poor - because it outright told you what percentage of your shot power you'd lose. This went against the design of most of the rest of the game, I thought. I hope in this game it's more of a range of percentages rather than anything precise. In the first game people were able to loft their 3 irons all the way and hit them 150 yards to within a foot of the hole. That was silly, and I hope that's fixed.

But yeah, it's not Everybody's Golf and it's not meant to be. I think HB Studios does a really, really poor job of communicating about this game, though, so some blame falls on them. They haven't had anything like the amount of blog posts, videos, and trailers that they should have had leading up to launch. Shit almost feels like a soft launch looking at their website.

Orca

I think some reviewers and players don't understand that TGC is trying to play a more realistic game of golf - meaning that you can't just dial in your distance to the yard and you can't read a grid that will tell you there is exactly three feet of downhill break, which equates to 3 notches on your power bar etc.

In other golf games it's easy to know exactly what you have to do to get the ball to go exactly where you want it to, and then the challenge is executing the button presses with correct timing - the more difficult the shot the more difficult the timing.

But in real golf there's a lot of guesswork, a lot of 'grey-area' when it comes to hitting shots and reading the course. Even pros mess up their yardages all the time - you'll see Jordan Spieth put an easy PW 10 yards short of the green in a bunker, for example. The Golf Club tries to introduce that into the game, and I think it does a good job, especially when putting, which you really have to do by 'feel', like the real thing, rather than being able to develop any kind of mathematical formula like in Everybody's Golf or Mario Golf etc.

In fact, that's why I felt like the 'shot shaper' grid in the first game was poor - because it outright told you what percentage of your shot power you'd lose. This went against the design of most of the rest of the game, I thought. I hope in this game it's more of a range of percentages rather than anything precise. In the first game people were able to loft their 3 irons all the way and hit them 150 yards to within a foot of the hole. That was silly, and I hope that's fixed.

But yeah, it's not Everybody's Golf and it's not meant to be. I think HB Studios does a really, really poor job of communicating about this game, though, so some blame falls on them. They haven't had anything like the amount of blog posts, videos, and trailers that they should have had leading up to launch. Shit almost feels like a soft launch looking at their website.

That's the thing, they want an arcade game but it's not one. There's no 'power bar' to see, you just know how far the club will usually hit the ball and need to adjust for lie, wind, and elevation.

Loft might still be an issue. I've hit some really nice shots with it. I've also hit some really bad ones...and that's my golf game in a nutshell. Went out on Sunday and just about hit my first ever hole in one, rolled it across the edge of the cup. Next hole...in the bush.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've hit some really nice shots with it. I've also hit some really bad ones...and that's my golf game in a nutshell. Went out on Sunday and just about hit my first ever hole in one, rolled it across the edge of the cup. Next hole...in the bush.

Amen.

norm9

Tempted to pick this up. Still not finished with my Masters edition Tiger Woods golf on ps3 though.

Antone play both and have a quick comparison between the two?

Hawk269

Have the dev's said if they will be supplying support for the PRO/Xbox One X? I would love a good golf game, but would prefer it if it supported the PRO/Xbox One X.

The only good thing about this game was that it let me test Microsoft's return policy on digital games.

When I tried to get a refund online it failed because I had played too much, which surprised me. When I looked at my game time, it was 2 hours and 6 minutes. So I called support and they refunded me for the game with out any issues.

I don't play Early Access games, and there is no way this should have sold as anything but, at least on XB1. The servers are crap. They are either crashing, killing your game, or they are responsible for some of the slowest loading menus I've ever seen in a game. I bet 40 minutes of my game time was waiting for menus to load.

Worse, the gameplay and the look of it is pretty remedial. While EA's RMPGAT was sorely lacking in features, at least they got the gameplay dialed in perfectly, and the courses were amazing. No excuse for such a rough looking game to be so laggy. I mean, TGC2 has tremendously worse pop in than EA's game.

5taquitos

The only good thing about this game was that it let me test Microsoft's return policy on digital games.

When I tried to get a refund online it failed because I had played too much, which surprised me. When I looked at my game time, it was 2 hours and 6 minutes. So I called support and they refunded me for the game with out any issues.

I don't play Early Access games, and there is no way this should have sold as anything but, at least on XB1. The servers are crap. They are either crashing, killing your game, or they are responsible for some of the slowest loading menus I've ever seen in a game. I bet 40 minutes of my game time was waiting for menus to load.

Worse, the gameplay and the look of it is pretty remedial. While EA's RMPGAT was sorely lacking in features, at least they got the gameplay dialed in perfectly, and the courses were amazing. No excuse for such a rough looking game to be so laggy. I mean, TGC2 has tremendously worse pop in than EA's game.
Because this is the only game that's ever had server issues at launch.

Klocker

Game plays amazing realistic golf... shame the servers are hosed ATM.

I'm sure it will get sorted, got plenty of other games to play until they do, gonna be playing this for a long time.

Because this is the only game that's ever had server issues at launch.

It runs at some low resolution, still has massive pop-in, and they were sable to keep the down;oad to a small 4.7GB by forcing every menu option and course to be contingent on their servers. Even when connected, it is a chore to move through the menus.

I wish server issues was the only problem.

ElNino

I'm not going to dispute anyone who doesn't like TGC2 due to it being rough around the edges, but I couldn't disagree more with the bolded. I didn't last more than five holes on EAs game, where as I have hundreds of rounds from TGC because of the gameplay. Maybe it's because I enjoy "real" golf as well, but I just can't every get used to EAs putting mechanics and they completely ruin the game for me.

As for TGC2 and it's server/loading issues, I had the same at times during TGC as well but the good thing is that once the course is loaded there no more loading throughout the round.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As an XBO owner that just got a refund on the game, I'll say that the review was accurate as hell. Maybe its better on PS4 and PC. But this is not a good game of golf.

No, it's a VERY good game of golf. But it's a simulation and thus not for people who want a calculated round. It's like saying Flight Simulator is a terrible flying game because it's not Crimson Skies or something.

Klocker

No, it's a VERY good game of golf. But it's a simulation and thus not for people who want a calculated round. It's like saying Flight Simulator is a terrible flying game because it's not Crimson Skies or something.

This is why some people are not getting how good this game is
besides the graphics not being top tier... come on xbx

bowld

If you played GC1 this is a must buy. This game is improved in every single area and is just as fun. Something about this game keeps sucking me back in for 1 more round to try to improve my score or handicap

If you want a sim game that rewards skill and brains this is a must buy

5taquitos

So many Xbox players in this thread, are there any PS4 Pro owners out there with performance impressions? Even better if you're familiar with TCG1 and can give some comparisons.

It's heartening to hear that apparently Xbox performance is better than TCG1, though.

I'm not going to dispute anyone who doesn't like TGC2 due to it being rough around the edges, but I couldn't disagree more with the bolded. I didn't last more than five holes on EAs game, where as I have hundreds of rounds from TGC because of the gameplay. Maybe it's because I enjoy "real" golf as well, but I just can't every get used to EAs putting mechanics and they completely ruin the game for me.

As for TGC2 and it's server/loading issues, I had the same at times during TGC as well but the good thing is that once the course is loaded there no more loading throughout the round.

Well, if you play on the default settings, yeah, RMPGAT is pretty easy. But on Tour Pro and dialing swing difficulty up, it is substantially harder. And the putting mechanic on TGC2 is ridiculous.

I have a hard time making par on RMPGAT, and TGC2 was about the same. But I'll take the better looking course, even if their are fewer of them, and better perforce. You hardly have to avoid trees in TGC2 because trees drag the performance down.

This has nothing to do with how hard the game is. It has to do with the resolution, frame rate, and an over reliance on servers to handle every menu press by every person playing the game. It's a sim that forces you to pretend that trees aren't all that plentiful. you know, because it already chugs.

ElNino

Well, if you play on the default settings, yeah, RMPGAT is pretty easy. But on Tour Pro and dialing swing difficulty up, it is substantially harder. And the putting mechanic on TGC2 is ridiculous.

I have a hard time making par on RMPGAT, and TGC2 was about the same. But I'll take the better looking course, even if their are fewer of them, and better perforce. You hardly have to avoid trees in TGC2 because trees drag the performance down.
It didn't have anything to do with difficultly on EA (I played Tour Pro), it is just the mechanics. I significantly prefer the swing and putting mechanics on TGC, so much so that I doubt I'll even try the next EA game. Performance wise, sure it isn't a great looker, but I've never had the performance impact my swing which is the only thing that matters to me.

pots555

Tough game! Having fun but the server issues are frustrating. Hope they fix that soon. The gameplay is solid but I must get better. I had a few pars in a row and was getting confident! Two shots in the water at the next hole (along with 3 putts) shattered that feeling! Ended scoring a 10 on the hole! Ouch!

Griss

When I first played the first TGC I regularly shot in the 100s until I learned the swing motion. People assume those scores shouldn't happen in a golf video game, but they happen in real life when you're starting out (and still every so often to me if I start slicing the ball).

So saying 'I shot 80, this game is super hard'... it's like, 80 is good, dude! That's only 8 over par!

It just requires a recalibrating of expectations. But a lot of players will pick it up, shoot 100 then 102 and say 'Fuck this, this is garbage.' It is what it is.

Shame you didn't like it but I can understand why not. In particular, it's bullshit that the menus are still linked to their servers, which made the menu system of the first excruciatingly non-responsive. If the game is having server issues, I imagine that makes the menu system rage-worthy.

As for visuals, I actually think it has Rory PGA beat from long distances. But up close it's no contest, and Rory's courses have far more unique detail, character, and better camera angles. If the putting in Rory was even average it would be a super, super game.

Klocker

I thought the putting last version was good but damn if it is frigging godly now..

The main thing that sucked the life out of RoryEA for me was that god awful putting.

I'd work to get to the green and then it was like cheating to putt. No feel all point set a distance for swing and auto pilot.

This has FEEL

Hedrush

TGC1 is a much better golf game than RMPGAT which is an unrealistic golf simulation with unrealistic physics and its easily one of the worst golf games in the last 10 years. I could play a hole blindfolded and still sink a birdie. Even graphically it looks like a last gen game. TGC1 wasn't exactly a looker and had its fair share of bugs but it played an excellent realistic round of golf. I've not played TGC2 yet so can't really comment on that but the reviews are very positive and server issues aside most people seem to think it's a fantastic representation of real golf and they're having a lot of fun with it. I guess it's just not for those who want a quick pick up and play golf game.

norm9

Keep getting disconnected. This was a first terrible impression. HOWEVER, I was able to get two holes in and that was fun. (Eta- this isn't as good as tiger Woods 14 so far bc I can't play it)

What's up with the Society?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cheers. I should probably get a controller. Any recommendations anyone?

If you can still find a wired 360, that's been my goto for like, 10 years now. Best controller I've ever owned on PC. I think DS4 would also work fine.

Protip for anyone trying to grasp the game - go to the driving and chipping range. Learning tempo and power control are going to shave a TON of strokes off your game. The tempo stuff is still hard for me to grasp when dealing with power, but an hour there definitely helped my short game.

krpiper

I'm a golf noob can someone explain the handicap index at the end of the round (and the handicap of like 72/114) and the stroke index on the scorecard

Played some offline "Official" courses since the servers are apparently on fire, 2 under for my first run not too mad

Top Bottom