• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution review thread

That mindset doesn't exist. Many people don't care about japanese games when they buy a xbox, true, but that's because japanese games don't hit xbox anyway, why would you buy one if you mainly wanted those titles? This "eugh weeb keep out from my xbawks" nonsense is a very small (but maybe vocal seeing as it keep being mentioned every single time) minority which is present in PS4 as well (or you think madden/fifa dudebros on PS4 love japanese games too? please)
I mean during the 360 era the Xbox got a lot of them but they didn't do so hot even then.

Keinning

I'm legit mad you just compared the Atelier series to Neptunia and Senran Kagura.

To be fair to the poster, anyone with no knowledge about the games looking at them from a distance will probably lump the three in the same "animu with underage girls" category

I mean during the 360 era the Xbox got a lot of them but they didn't do so hot even then.

microsoft had to put a lot of money to get those japanese games for 360. it wasn't because Japan wanted to publish on it, it was always a sales failure there. as soon as the incentives stopped, japanese devs ignored (even more) the 360. it had nothing to do with the userbase

Keinning

Neither will Xbox One owners.

You might be surprised...
xbox owners have no previous game to compare revolution with, are unaware about the controversy regarding changing the series and many already stated they're buying it regardless "to support japanese games on xbox"

It's not going to be a success (but it won't be anywhere) but the gap between PS4 and Xbox sales on this one might be closer than most could think of

Just wondering, how can a professional game media be so bias against a console manufacturer? I mean sure you can post whatever you feel like on GAF, but when you are representing your site, which I think you are in this case, isn't it against some integrity rules? Or the media doesn't even have such rules? More amusing is that the site is called "Attack of the Fanboy".

Before anyone calling me a fanboy, I've never owned any Microsoft console in my life, and I probably never will.

I don't think it was phrased as bias against the console manufacturer. It's just that japanese games of this type are much more scarce on XB1 and no Valkyria game has showed up on xbox anyway, so fans itching to scratch that urge through XB1 should still reconsider. That's my take anyway.

zulux21

not surprised by the scores.
also don't regret my preorder.

I never expected to get a good game from this.
just wanted to do my part to help sega get motivated into cashing in on VC2/3 and doing full blown remakes of them.

doubt it will happen, but eh... every little bit likely helps lol.

Don't understand this mentality. Only good games are allowed to make it over now? The west does not have the upper hand in an industry that's already very flimsy about localization of non-big name titles.
In localizing it they're increasing costs by quite a bit especially since they ported it to other systems.
It's likely not going to do very well and does damage to the brand.

This is my surprised face:

So much writing on the wall. Not a single trailer after the initial announcement in December, the only PR following that was a release date announcement on the PS Blog, no E3 presence at all, and a release-day review embargo. Atlus knew they made a massive mistake picking this game up, but canceling the localization after announcing it would make them look just as bad (Hello, PSO2!).

Anyway, game got fucked. Could have had potential to at least be semi-decent under any other publisher, but Sega made Media.Vision shit out a pre-pre-Alpha demo to push copies of VCRemastered and then when it got criticized, put all the responsibility on the devs and slashed Azure Rev's budget. I'd really like to see what this game could have been if Sega waited until the game was actually ready before showing it off.

Like seriously, this game is the prime example for why games in early-development have behind-closed-doors scripted-demos only shown to the press instead of making their demos publicly downloadable.

There's going to be hell to pay if this affects the chances of VC3 coming west or that rumored VC3 remake's development.

Metacritic is 61. Everyone's acting like it's 30. I imagine some will find it enjoyable.

24 reviews so far
6 positive, 4 negative, 14 mixed.

I just opened my copy up. The outer box opens from the side, so that is already strike one from me! The soundtrack comes in a paper slipcase (the artwork on it is nice, though). The pin is cool.

Metacritic is 61. Everyone's acting like it's 30. I imagine some will find it enjoyable.

24 reviews so far

I just opened my copy up. The outer box opens from the side, so that is already strike one from me! The soundtrack comes in a paper slipcase (the artwork on it is nice, though). The pin is cool.

61 is a pretty weak metacritic score, especially considering previous entries in the franchise, which fared considerably better.

(please don't bring up the '5/10 is average therefore it's above average' argument as the trend of scoring games and score aggregates in general clearly shows this is not the case)

At 30 metacritic we're talking worst game of the year tier and Sega has fucked up this hard only with the worst Sonic game (rise of lyric). What game had a 30 mc lately, Ghostbusters?

61 is a pretty weak metacritic score, especially considering previous entries in the franchise, which fared considerably better.

(please don't bring up the '5/10 is average therefore it's above average' argument as the trend of scoring games and score aggregates in general clearly shows this is not the case)

At 30 metacritic we're talking worst game of the year tier and Sega has fucked up this hard only with the worst Sonic game (rise of lyric). What game had a 30 mc lately, Ghostbusters?

It is weak, but it's not abysmal. 11 out of the 25 reviews have a 7/10 or higher. Only 5 out of 25 have a score 5/10 or below. Everything else is between 5 and 7. That's certainly mediocre, but not a disaster.

EmiPrime

24 reviews so far

Nearly all outlets that mark out of 10 or 100 effectively begin their scale at 5 or 50 which inflates aggregates. Even Mighty No 9 has a OC of 52. Video game criticism is extremely sanitised outside of a few rare exceptions (Giant Bomb, Euro/US Gamer, Tom Chick etc).

A positive review:

http://news.punchjump.com/2017/06/2...tion-ps4-ps-vita-pc-claims-victory-in-battle/

I loved Valkyria Chronicles and went into this viewing the game as a spin-off. Surprisingly, the action / strategy hybrid gameplay isn't bad at all. It's an action game with some strategy elements, but it's not all that polished. That said, all the strategy elements are great, like the Battle Palette, weapon upgrades, spell upgrades, and character customization. There are A LOT of cinematics with load times though. Definitely would have worked better with illustrations and text to move the story along.

Ouch. That 30 from Slant actually cuts me deep since they have slowly been becoming one of my favorite sources for reviews. I needed a few passes this year with all the goodness floating around.

A positive review:

http://news.punchjump.com/2017/06/2...tion-ps4-ps-vita-pc-claims-victory-in-battle/

I loved Valkyria Chronicles and went into this viewing the game as a spin-off. Surprisingly, the action / strategy hybrid gameplay isn't bad at all. It's an action game with some strategy elements, but it's not all that polished. That said, all the strategy elements are great, like the Battle Palette, weapon upgrades, spell upgrades, and character customization. There are A LOT of cinematics with load times though. Definitely would have worked better with illustrations and text to move the story along.

That review isn't a review. It's a summary of the game. The writer put about as much of themselves into it as the person who does the back of the game box. I'm also not sure
the spin-off is a redeemable detour
is exactly high praise. :/

Asharakk

I was initially hyped about this one, but was disappointed when I saw they moved away from the strategic element of Chronicles.

Might pick it up later.

Do we know if there are any Ps4 Pro advantages?

Maxinas

I guess making them bigger than Selvaria's still wasn't enough.

Valkyria-Azure-Rev-PV_12-02-16.jpg

sublimit

Banned
I don't care about reviews (don't trust them either) so i still want to give this game a try.I don't expect it to be anything like the original series so i'll try to enjoy it for what it is.

Also Jesus Christ people,the Valkyria team have said many times that this was just a spin off title and it will NOT affect the Valkyria IP in any way.So please stop with the "OMG Valkyria Chronicles series is doomed" posts.

24 reviews so far

A 60 is basically a 30 with how overinflated video game review scores are.

Necron

What a horribly mismanaged series by SEGA.

Just give us Valkyria Chronicles 4 already (in the style of VC1)! Seriously, how hard can this be?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sheesh where are all these 5's and 6's coming from? Going by how the import thread went this was destined to be much lower. Thought it'd be a race to the bottom with Akiba's Beat... perhaps this is the power of the Valkyria brandname?

Sheesh where are all these 5's and 6's coming from? Going by how the import thread went this was destined to be much lower. Thought it'd be a race to the bottom with Akiba's Beat... perhaps this is the power of the Valkyria brandname?

Nah I think it's just pity.

Brand Power guarantees 7's at worst.

Castef

Banned
I don't think it was phrased as bias against the console manufacturer. It's just that japanese games of this type are much more scarce on XB1 and no Valkyria game has showed up on xbox anyway, so fans itching to scratch that urge through XB1 should still reconsider. That's my take anyway.

Yep.

But you have an audience and you are able to... "educate" it to different tastes.

If you do not publish certain kind of games on a console how would you push that genre on it?

Anyone remembers when there was skepticism agains the publishing of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on Xbox?

"Console gamers do not play this kind of games".

Now, look at what The Elder Scrolls became for console owners...

EmiPrime

Most video game critics don't use the full scale probably out of fear of upsetting the publisher or sticking out from the crowd with an outlier review. This is a nailed on 2 or 3/10.

It did. Same developer as this, even.

VC3 is the apex of the series.

It had the potential to be but the PSP's limitations held it back IMO. It deserves a full remake for sure.

And people wonder why I have no faith whatsoever in SEGA

If the PS2 hadn't killed Dreamcast, Sega would still have found a way to ruin themselves.

Its literally what they're best at

sibarraz

Banned
You might be surprised...
xbox owners have no previous game to compare revolution with, are unaware about the controversy regarding changing the series and many already stated they're buying it regardless "to support japanese games on xbox"

It's not going to be a success (but it won't be anywhere) but the gap between PS4 and Xbox sales on this one might be closer than most could think of

I don't get this post, I seriously doubt that most of the xbox one playerbase who could potentially be interested on this game, never heard about the series, specially in the internet era when you can know a lot about franchises that one probably never played

Gravidee

I knew there would be no hope when I saw someone post a cutscene from the game. The animations look worse than anything from the Tales games.

CazTGG

Cross-posting this from the OT since, surprisingly, more people are interested in the review thread than that one, and i'm currently working on a review:
Valkyria Revolution is a disaster, easily the worst game i've played all year. The cutscenes are numerous, overly long and poorly directed. They encompass upwards of 70% of the game with 90% of said cutscenes blurting out the same repetitive dialogue and Shakespeare references.

The gameplay is a test of patience as to how much of the same button mashing boredom one can tolerate before they give up on the game entirely. It got to a point where I was simply letting the AI have its own fun while I caught up on some reading, barely . It never evolves, it never becomes interesting or engaging, and it's tedium is stretched out over a 40 hour epic excuse of a plot. The AI is awful on both sides, though the enemy is slightly moreso with their tendency to not notice the player characters despite them being right in front of them.

The bosses are about the only time you'll ever control any of the characters aside from moving them from one goal to the next, namely because of how large their health bars are and how long it would take to beat them by There's a boss who is only able to be hit once every five minutes once you run out of ammo and RP (and you will run out very quickly), which grows into a tedious bore given the boss' gargantuan health bar. The final straw for me where I gave up was a two-headed snake tank where the boss' health . Neither of them are difficult nor challenging in any regarding, they're simply a malicious manner of extending this an already lengthy game to .

Performance-wise, it's an appalling mixture of stiff animation poor draw distance, and the same handful of stages recycled over and over again with slight framerate drops scattered throughout*. The sound design is equally underwhelming, utilizing a handful of quips that get increasingly grating when they're heard with every attack (which is to say every five seconds) and the less than impressive voice direction does no favors to an already mediocre script. The soundtrack's good but it deserves a much better game to accompany it.

Also, this is minor in the grand scheme of the terrible gameplay and story but despite the setting being clearly inspired by the industrial revolution, the game never takes advantage of the setting to say anything meaningful about it like Valkyria Chronicles did with its WWII inspiration a la concentration camps.

So yeah, I wasn't a fan. Full thoughts will be in the review proper. Short version: Even if you're a hardcore Valkyria fan, you may as well skip it. 2017 has so many amazing games(including games by ATLUS/SEGA) that are worth your time and money. This is not one of them.

*Brief note: I played the Vita version for review so it's possible issues like the framerate, visuals and general performance are improved on the home console release.

I don't even like Valkyria Chronicles, but even with me saying that, this game always felt like a massive slap in the face.

I always thought VC had some really cool ideas that could be expanded upon. Stripping away everything unique about VC and boiling it down into a generic JRPG was so fucking lame.

Nyoro SF

Cross-posting this from the OT since, surprisingly, more people are interested in the review thread than that one, and i'm currently working on a review:

That's just the internet in general, people are more interested in the controversies and big hits than normal conversations, no surprise. :p

That's just the internet in general, people are more interested in the controversies and big hits than normal conversations, no surprise. :p

Where's the controversy? Everyone's in agreement this is a bad game.

The question is: Was this the result of Sega™ fuckery concerning that demo packed-in with VCR? Or has Media.Vision gone the way of Tri-Ace?

Keinning

I don't get this post, I seriously doubt that most of the xbox one playerbase who could potentially be interested on this game, never heard about the series, specially in the internet era when you can know a lot about franchises that one probably never played

Well we have no way of knowing. I can give a few cases of people who bought this game without playing any of the previous valkyrie chronicles (myself included) just in hopes of more japanese content in the system. Might not look like much for people with PS4s but even the scraps are rare on the xbox ecosystem right now (which makes that review "buy something else, even on xbox" pointless - there's 'nothing else').

You are also vastly overestimating valkyria chronicles popularity. it's nowhere near as absurd for the main public to have never heard of it before

''Strategy musou'' sounds interesting so I think I will get it but I still can't forgive SEGA for moving the series from PS3 to PSP and then starting a new spin-off/alternative series like it was the natural thing to do.

Nyoro SF

Where's the controversy? Everyone's in agreement this is a bad game.

The question is: Was this the result of Sega™ fuckery concerning that demo packed-in with VCR? Or has Media.Vision gone the way of Tri-Ace?

I'm not saying this one in particular is a controversy, I was just speaking in general. This example is more like a hubbub. Remember the Scalebound cancellation thread being 1000x bigger than the Scalebound preview threads.

Judging by what happened, I think Sega Japan made a number of bad miscalculations on both the business and appeal/design end of the spectrum. Once these bad decisions forced everything to go south in feedback, Sega decided to cut their losses and begin the downport to Vita and wrap up game development on VAR early as a financial safety measure. Hence reusing the same 4 maps over and over, and the same three bosses over and over.

Media Vision can only work with what they're given and on the direction from above, and in this case they didn't have much. I would never use this game as a test of MV's abilities.

I'm going to guess it's because a) this feels like a safer venue for criticism, and b) because not that many people are actually going to buy the game based on its noxious reputation, so the review thread is a more natural place to discuss other people's impressions.

Top Bottom