• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Arkeband

Banned
I gave up on the last boss of SMT4, somehow my demons don’t have the right shit and the amount of grinding I’d need to raise a few different ones isn’t worth it. I feel like I mostly beat it.

The Witness

I absolutely adored the game until the lower levels of the mountain. Changing the way puzzles work so now I have to keep track of changing colours/reversed controls/scrolling boards was bullshit. As someone with mild colour blindness and poor reflexes it made the final few puzzles of the game less about thinking things through and more about frustratingly grappling with a sudden and unfair shift in how puzzles worked.

hipsterbodega

Neo Member
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, they introduce some new mechanic in the final boss fight where you had to slice through boulders and I just wasn't any fucking good at it, and trying it 10+ times sucked all the fun out of the game for me. So I just went on Youtube and watched the damn ending.

Same here. That boss fight was a showstopping disaster. Loved the game otherwise.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I dont know if the Technodrone is the final boss of NES TMNT but I've never met anyone who's beaten that game. It's the furthest I've been in the game.

Fordfx2

Oh, this is a VERY special example since dying during the final boss gauntlet sets you back way further than if you died literally right outside the boss room. It's some of the biggest bullshit I've ever seen.

I also stalled out at the end of Super Mario RPG. Just had too much difficulty with the final boss, I half expect that to be a non-issue if I replayed through to the end.

I still to this day never beat that game, and just get frustrated thinking about how much time my cousins and I dumped into that game back in the day....But, thanks to YouTube I can watch the ending and never look back again :)

That horrid Syndicate fps. I hated the campaign and was only sticking with it because I knew it was so short. The bosses were probably the worst part, so when I got to the final boss I died once and just uninstalled the game and watched the end on YouTube instead.

I dont know if the Technodrone is the final boss of NES TMNT but I've never met anyone who's beaten that game. It's the furthest I've been in the game.

I played that game so many times when I was a kid and I never even saw the technodrome.

maxcriden

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door I had to quit due to the lead up to the boss was, what felt like at the time, 10 mins of chatting/cutscenes before you could fight. So I would endure that fight the boss then die and endure it again and you could not skip any of it. Super bummed because I loved the game.

Paper Mario TTYOD

I couldn't beat Bowser and did not have enough power-ups with me. If I recall correctly, the only way to get more was to backtrack a long way and I did not feel like doing that, so I never did.

Same for us. We still want to go back to it one day as I think it was like a decade ago that we got stuck and gave up, but that was a really tough slog to get back to the boss and get summarily crushed again and again. It'd be great to see a VC release with save states so you could try the boss over and over.

Shiobi PS2 is the only one I can think of, and it stings because I felt like I was gonna give up on a lot of parts in that game. I like it but I could never figure out how to do that last boss.

BiggNife

I always seem to do this with Mario RPGs because the final bosses of those games tend to be brutal

I've done this with M&L1, M&L2, and Paper Mario TTYD

Granted, I played those games when I was younger and had a lot less patience for grinding but the final boss rush of M&L2 was so bullshit that they made it significantly easier when they released the game in Japan months later

And with TTYD I think it was less the boss and more that the fetch quest stuff near the end of the game had worn me out so much that I just wasn't in the mood to play it anymore

aOlafsson

Neo Member
Dark Souls 3... Barely had any trouble with the bosses throughout the game and then just couldn't beat the last one.

Then RE7 and Yakuza 0 came out and I just moved on.

NahaNago

I almost gave up on the ps4 ratchet and clank boss. Like seriously what was up with that he was like 10X harder than anything else in the game plus i think you have to travel a bit to get to him and if you lose before the second transformation you have to travel up to him again. So annoying. I think the last gummi ship section in one of the kingdom hearts game kicked my butt as well. I like the idea of gummi ships as sidequests but would rather have it as something easy and unnecessary.

julrik

I gave up on Wolfenstein: TNO way back when it released. Deathshead was a real pain in the ass for me.

Completed The Old Blood last week and then immediately started TNO over again, and beat him in the end (even though I had to lower the difficulty a notch after several tries).

Now I'm ready for the The New Colossus!

Demicore

Nope, but the temptation was high in Bound By Flames. I hated it when I had to play through it, but now it's pretty much the only thing I remember about the game, and rather fondly too. Funny how that works.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Too many times to count. Bosses are my least favourite part of any game, and at that stage, I'm usually aching to play something else. You miss very little if you just watch how it plays out on youtube.

Pejo

I give up on final bosses all the time without even fighting them. Like in BotW. I get to the last boss, but some stupid collection or sidequest keeps me from actually fighting them. Then I lose interest in the game trying to wrap up the sidequests, then I forget and never beat it.

Bunga

Final Fantasy X - I was stuck for a long time.

Came back after consulting the internet and doing some grinding and won easily.

I beat Undertale Genocide Route, Drakengard 1 and Drakengard 3.

But I still gave the fuck up on the last boss of Sonic Generations. What a shitshow.

Undertale and Drakengard 3 are supposed to be trolly final bosses that just break the rules and try to make you give up and Drakengard 1's is some nightmare but Generations sucks and I don't think it was on purpose which is amazing because of how bad it is

ngFROMAN

Neo Member
Advance Wars; used a guide to even get that far, then find out I got the worst team to attempt it with, not knowing that was a possiblity. Guide didn't accomodate that, and I've never really understood how to really play that game since I got it at 11. Sucks, but the series was never for me I suppose.

Edit: lol beat it last night after deciding to give it another try, without a guide.

kaishek

Neo Member
I almost gave up on the ps4 ratchet and clank boss. Like seriously what was up with that he was like 10X harder than anything else in the game plus i think you have to travel a bit to get to him and if you lose before the second transformation you have to travel up to him again. So annoying.

You're not crazy, this is mine too. I've thrown myself at bosses in other games for hours before, but something about that R&C boss was stupidly frustrating. I guess all the goddamn hovering and resource/ammo management, it was tedious and not fun to control.

Metal Gear Rising

The diagonal aiming part was impossible on a Steam controller. By the time I got a good controller I had uninstalled the game. I'll go back to it one day.

Final Fantasy 3 iOS. Spent hours playing that gem. Then got stuck at the final boss and gave up. Then a new iPhone came out and the game didn't have cloud saves. :(

Mario Bros 1. Broke my heart as a kid but couldn't win.

balohna

FFX. I felt prepared, but there was an unlucky sequence that could play out and wipe my whole party. Then there was a whole bunch of shit between the last save and the final boss. I meant to go back but whenever I think about it I decide I don't really want to.

nowarning

+1 for Killzone 2.

I hadn't really enjoyed the game up until then anyway, I died a few times then thought "I can't be arsed" and never bothered with it again.

Demon's Souls was the last one for me. I got frustrated by the level drain attack.
I'm gonna say it; fuck Demon's Souls' bosses. Half of them are gimmicky messes and the other half are straight boring. (It's my least favorite Souls game, by far, and while I understand the love for it, every game in the series released after it is miles better)

More to the point of OP, both The Witcher 3 and FFXII but because I didn't want it to end

Super Mario 64 Final Bowser and Donkey Kong 64 Arcade Machines back in grade school. I eventually beat Bowser when I revisited it in high school but still to this day haven't beaten DK64.

maxresdefault.jpg

shin megami tensei: strange journey. mem aleph's impossible-to-guard-against ohko attack nailed me 3 times, & i was out! :) ...

Croash

Metal Gear Rising on Hard, with zero health packs (they automatically refill all of your health when you "die"). I didn't expect such violent hits.

Thought I'd change difficulty to easy, turns out not only could you not change on the fly, but completing missions only allows you to Mission Select them in the same difficulty, so I had to restart it all on Easy.

Fuck that, Platinum.

Months later I opened the ingame upgrade shop to see if anything could be done. By purchasing a medic suit, I got 10 health packs.

I powered through each boss phase with checkpoints and eventually beat him, but now that I remember playing this game my memories stop at that initial rage quit. I have no memories, let alone fond ones, of beating this game.

But I wanted to like it so much :((((

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for me, though it wasn't quite the final boss. Elder Princess Shroob is just a giant pain the butt. She has more HP than any other boss in the game in each form (both forms have 3000+ HP, and around 6500 HP combined; her younger sister has 3000 also). She also gets healing abilities so the fight takes forever. I actually ran out of Bros Items and said "nope, screw this, I'm done".

Yes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for GCN.

Got up to the final boss, kept dying on him, didn't feel like going back and getting stronger, and just gave up. Never got around to beating it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well on my second play of Luigis mansion recently after 16 years. Dumb final boss with lame mechanics, huge penalty to retry.

MoogleMan

Carrier for dreamcast. I got to the end and died; then realized my save was a couple of hours back. I loved it otherwise.

uocooper

I couldn't beat The Sentinel in Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. I don't remember all the details but I seem to recall she had an attack that I couldn't figure out how to avoid and I didn't care enough to look up hints and keep trying.

I also quit playing Arkham Origins because I couldn't get past Copperhead, even after looking up how it was supposed to be done.

DonF

Rising for me too, that final boss kicked my ass more than anything in that game. It felt normal difficulty up to that point.

balohna

The Witness

I absolutely adored the game until the lower levels of the mountain. Changing the way puzzles work so now I have to keep track of changing colours/reversed controls/scrolling boards was bullshit. As someone with mild colour blindness and poor reflexes it made the final few puzzles of the game less about thinking things through and more about frustratingly grappling with a sudden and unfair shift in how puzzles worked.

Be glad you didn't make it to the optional stuff just past that area, where there's time pressure and the puzzles change every attempt.

BTA

Off the top of my head: the first Mario & Luigi game, Paper Mario 2, and several Battle Network games.

Oh, and the first Prinny game, which fucking sucked because I somehow beat the entire (really difficult, especially for me at that time) game up until that point only to not be able to mash buttons fast enough to kill it. As in I memorized its entire pattern and could survive till the end of the battle’s time limit, but couldn’t kill it.

I couldn't beat Chaos at the end of Final Fantasy a few years ago and cemented my failure by erasing my save, now as punishment if I ever want to actually beat it, I have to play it all the way through again. Probably not happening.

Also Yooka Laylee. The bosses in that game were all terrible but I couldn't even bring myself to finish the final fight, I made two attempts I think before it went the same way as FF.

Last one was Beaten Kaitos 1. Good lord I don't think I've ever had less fun with an RPG, battle system, characters, story, everything except for the music was the antithesis to fun. I've complained enough about this train-wreck though

Banjo-Kazooie. I don't know if the boss was actually that hard or if I was just like 10 years old and bad at it. But i never beat her.

Also more recently Dead Cells. I just don't enjoy that final boss fight so after 3 attempts and failure I put it down for a bit.

The most recent one for me is Star Ocean: Second Evolution - I gave up on the Michael and Haniel fight which I think is near the final boss.

Top Bottom