• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tracks that are as epic as Duel of the Fates? (Movie soundtrack discussion)

Elitist1945

Klendathu Drop

source.gif

Thread needs more Jerry Goldsmith, perhaps the finest film composer there ever was (and man, did he have the technical chops to back it up).

Arthur's Farewell from First Knight

The Hunt from Planet of the Apes

End of a Dream from Total Recall

Rebirth from The Mummy

Thumbs up! Definitely one of the most versatile English language composers ever.

Small Soldiers

The Ghost in The Darkness

The Shadow

Air Force One

The Edge

Capicorn One (the opening bits later served as an inspiration for Conan, and Jerry would later reuse them for Total Recall, making people think he had stolen from that score, when it was the other way around, but hey it's all great music, so who cares).

Rambo

Rambo III

jett

D-Member

jb1234

Thumbs up! Definitely one of the most versatile English language composers ever.

Small Soldiers

The Ghost in The Darkness

The Shadow

Air Force One

The Edge

Capicorn One (the opening bits later served as an inspiration for Conan, and Jerry would later reuse them for Total Recall, making people think he had stolen from that score, when it was the other way around, but hey it's all great music, so who cares).

Rambo

Rambo III

Yesssssss. You are truly my GAF film score brother.

GhaleonEB

The entire Pirates of Caribbean At Worlds End soundtrack, but the end credit theme mixes them all together to enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJHxtdxW7M

I really like the theme that starts at 1:45. I remember it just walloping me in theaters.

Basil Poledouris' entire Conan the Barbarian score is quite possibly the most epic score for a movie ever even to this day. This isn't a hot take either, its the god damned truth.

Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom

The Kitchen/The Orgy

Battle of the Moudns

It is very difficult to argue against this post.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Duel of the Fates is literally the best thing about the prequels. It is fucking awesome.
This

Hot take. I like "Battle of the Heroes" more than "Duel of the Fates."
Hmm, bold claim. Checking it now. It's good, very good. But not Duel of the Fates good I think. I do like how it sneaks in the main theme in there too.

Basil Poledouris' entire Conan the Barbarian score is quite possibly the most epic score for a movie ever even to this day. This isn't a hot take either, its the god damned truth.

The Kitchen/The Orgy

Battle of the Moudns
Ennio Morricone was also a master of the epic track. Whether it was The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly or the amazing set of songs used for what was quite possibly the greatest gun fighter dual ever in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Edit: To get a better feel for just how god damned good the tracks for the final duel in Once Upon a Time in the West really are you need to watch the entire scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c&t=328s. Huge spoilers but god damned if this isn't one of the best scenes in cinema history.
You sir, have impeccable taste in movie score. ^_^

Someone has posted Jerry Goldsmith, but not his 13th Warrior stuff I think, so I'll contribute that:
Viking Heads
The Horns of Hell
The Fire Dragon

The entire soundtrack is incredible. Love Old Bagdad.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was about to ask where the hell The Fire Dragon cue was and it looks like you edited it in, haha. Great score.
:) Been a while since I listened to it, actually, and I was hopping on youtube to figure out the better tracks, but yeah, corrected myself!

jb1234

:) Been a while since I listened to it, actually, and I was hopping on youtube to figure out the better tracks, but yeah, corrected myself!

I actually heard the score long before I saw the movie and I remember being so stoked to see an actual fire dragon in it. Well, that didn't work out. ;)

NightOnyx

"What Are You Going to Do When You're Not Saving the World" by Hans Zimmer, from Man of Steel?

Damn good. Daaaaaaaaamn good.

That soundtrack is so good! It makes me sad to think about how much Man of Steel had going for it. I can't help but look back and feel like it was a massive missed opportunity, same goes for BvS. I'm glad Wonder Women looks like a step up, but it's been so frustrating to see a lot of good things being wasted on bad movies so far in the DC movieverse.

Yesssssss. You are truly my GAF film score brother.

Thanks man. I've been a film score fan for years, and have listened to a lot of scores that nobody has even mentioned on yet. Once you get passed all the obvious stuff, like most of the themes mentioned here, there's a lot of great music to uncover.

I think I've listened to about 70% of Goldsmith's filmography / discography that's actual available and that includes his concert pieces too. Recently I've done an exploration of the works of Lalo Schifrin too, and have uncovered a lot of gems that nobody on here has probably even heard of (Caveman, The Big Brawl, The Competition, The Eagle Has Landed, Rollercoaster etc...), for example. I've also uncovered and listened to a lot of Mancini's lesser known underappreciated gems (The White Dawn, The Thief Who Came To Dinner, Mommie Dearest, Who Is Killing The Great Chefs of Europe, Nightwing etc...)

Thank god for companies like Varese and Intrada.

jb1234

Thanks man. I've been a film score fan for years, and have listened to a lot of scores that nobody has even mentioned on yet. Once you get passed all the obvious stuff, like most of the themes mentioned here, there's a lot of great music to uncover.

I think I've listened to about 70% of Goldsmith's filmography / discography that's actual available and that includes his concert pieces too. Recently I've done an exploration of the works of Lalo Schifrin too, and have uncovered a lot of gems that nobody on here has probably even heard of (Caveman, The Big Brawl, The Competition, The Eagle Has Landed, Rollercoaster etc...), for example. I've also uncovered and listened to a lot of Mancini's lesser known underappreciated gems (The White Dawn, The Thief Who Came To Dinner, Mommie Dearest, Who Is Killing The Great Chefs of Europe, Nightwing etc...)

Thank god for companies like Varese and Intrada.

Goldsmith is my favorite film composer. Even in his less inspired works (like all the mid-90s action films that he was probably sick to death of doing), I find things to like. It greatly irks me that he was easily John Williams' equal (if not better) but didn't get as lucky with his assignments and often scored a lot of trash.

If you've heard his concert pieces, I'm assuming you've heard his Music for Orchestra? Amazing, uncompromising work. Even when writing twelve tone, the music still sounded like him.

I'll admit I'm not as familiar with film composers prior to the 70s and I should be. I've heard some Newman, some Steiner, some Rozsa and some of it I like and some of it I don't. I need to listen to more Mancini and Schifrin. And Herrmann.

The Kitchen/The Orgy

Battle of the Moudns

Goddamn. I wouldn't have thought of this, but I think the score is a good 80% of why I love that movie now that you mention it. It's amazing.

Last of the Mohicans is an average film with an absolutely killer score.

Also this one. I like the movie pretty well but that score.

Top Bottom