• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autism At Center Of New Netflix Series ‘Atypical’

Prax

It's a little to "feel good" & cloying for my taste. Based on the trailer at least.

Haha, I think this might be very relateable and relevant for some people on the spectrum. It's the swath that enjoys the very fuzzy/sweet stuff (of which a great number, I am sure, also enjoy media dissection, SU and MLP, etc. Fandom and content generators in fandom is generally full of those on the spectrum.)

I think the characters portrayed are definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. I hope they show more girls too. Girls on the spectrum tend to be underdiagnosed because they often have a bit more socialization finesse or at least are more feelingsy/emotionally expressive (whether this is nurture or nature.. whom knows), but they are very interesting in the way they they still feel alienation from the norm and being unable to "understand" a lot of social rules.

I think I am on the spectrum or at least touched by it and have friends and family thereabouts, so I may end up watching this (actually, more likely.. I will link it to my family members to watch lol).

I mean, I don't see why they couldn't consult an expert AND talk to a bunch of people with autism. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive

That's absolutely true, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest nobody involved had interaction with an autistic individual while researching for the show (unless that is somewhere I am missing), just that they did not work with an autistic individual over the course of production. It's worth keeping in mind also that autistic traits may not be easily picked up upon as something more than 'odd', particularly in an interview-like scenario as Eye for an Eye mentions above.

It's entirely true they could have worked with both an autistic individual and the current consultant, and it's absolutely correct that this could have led to a more enriching show. It's also possible that they felt that the guidance, experience, and oversight provided by the researcher who was more than sufficient to create an accurate portrayal of an autistic individual and it was there unnecessary to seek autistic individuals to review the script. But so long as the portrayal as it currently is accurately portrays what one autistic individual may be like, I fail to see how it was necessarily a bad decision not to directly employ an autistic individual to review it in the production if the oversight they had was sufficient.

Cyframe

It looks promising, I just hope they have another person on the spectrum who is a friend and not just, everyone else is 'normal' except the MC. Showcasing peer to peer engagement is an element that is sometimes missing in the very small autism framed media.

I know Autism is a highly variable thing - it's called a spectrum for a reason - and so I shouldn't necessarily expect my experience to wholly reflect on what I saw in that trailer...

But I'll be honest and say that kinda had too many shades of Sheldon Cooper for my comfort. I mean, it does a lot better in showing some of the subtle aspects of isolation that often comes with being autistic - a preference to work alone, listening to music on headphones to drown the world out - but the dialogue fell too... blunt? A trailer doesn't help in that regard since they're trying to get the concept across to what's likely to be a predominantly non-autistic audience, but I really hope the character's allowed some nuance beyond simply stating the obvious (in my admitted, autistic perspective) about his issues.

But I'll be honest and say that kinda had too many shades of Sheldon Cooper for my comfort. I mean, it does a lot better in showing some of the subtle aspects of isolation that often comes with being autistic - a preference to work alone, listening to music on headphones to drown the world out - but the dialogue fell too... blunt?
Is this like a subconscious thing, or intentionally trying to drown the world out? I listen to podcasts and music constantly; if I'm awake and not doing something that require a lot of focus, I have my earphones in. Like 10-12 hours a day every day

I never even considered that it might be a spectrum thing.

jman2050

Very true. My therapist once said I was really good at eye contact and maintaining conversation
But that's only because I've had a ton of practice talking with older people and needing to be able to give oral reports in school.
Put me in a room with people my age and that eye contact and those conversation skills go out the window, unless we're talking about movies or video games

Yeah, that's one thing that's hard to get across to people who see someone with high-functioning autism like me appearing to talk with and interact with others in a typical manner in certain settings. In my specific case for example, they aren't observing "me" as I actually am, they're observing a carefully constructed version of "me" that assesses the current social situation based on whatever logical rules are in my head and responds to it in an almost robotic manner, but still designed to pass as "natural-sounding" to anyone that isn't paying too much attention. I am essentially putting on a performance in front of the masses, and it's mentally exhausting.

Now of course that's just my experience and I can't say for sure if that's typical of people like me, and I suppose one can argue that normally everyone, neurotypical or otherwise, is putting on a "performance" to some extent in social situations. But it sure doesn't feel normal to me.

Is this like a subconscious thing, or intentionally trying to drown the world out? I listen to podcasts and music constantly; if I'm awake and not doing something that require a lot of focus, I have my earphones in. Like 10-12 hours a day every day

Varies, but mostly subconscious in my case. Like, I really enjoy having the sound up on music and when I'm playing games and it frustrates me when it's low enough that background noise can disrupt the experience. A bit of a bad habit admittedly because it's also loud enough that I can struggle to hear people when they're right next to me.

Haha, I think this might be very relateable and relevant for some people on the spectrum. It's the swath that enjoys the very fuzzy/sweet stuff (of which a great number, I am sure, also enjoy media dissection, SU and MLP, etc. Fandom and content generators in fandom is generally full of those on the spectrum.)

oh I get that, its the sudden tone changes and cloying nature of the trailer itself. felt like the trailer was screaming at me "FEEL SOMETHING DAMN IT" the entire time lol

I hope the show is actually good tho.

Noises create confusion and frustration. It's an auditory overload rather than having something to focus on. And it does help focus when working on something.

My soundtracks are well worn (in a digital sense). I have a couple of playlists and don't go beyond that very often.

Very true. My therapist once said I was really good at eye contact and maintaining conversation
But that's only because I've had a ton of practice talking with older people and needing to be able to give oral reports in school.
Put me in a room with people my age and that eye contact and those conversation skills go out the window, unless we're talking about movies or video games
My boyfriend has an emotionless face most the time, but he learned from his father to always stare down his opponent. When I first met him, he looked like he had a death stare. His huge size makes him very intimidating in public places. He also had a lack of personal space and would stand very close to people in line.

Autistic girls are usually on the emotional/social level of normal boys, but still well below normal girls.

Yeah, that's one thing that's hard to get across to people who see someone with high-functioning autism like me appearing to talk with and interact with others in a typical manner in certain settings. In my specific case for example, they aren't observing "me" as I actually am, they're observing a carefully constructed version of "me" that assesses the current social situation based on whatever logical rules are in my head and responds to it in an almost robotic manner, but still designed to pass as "natural-sounding" to anyone that isn't paying too much attention. I am essentially putting on a performance in front of the masses, and it's mentally exhausting.

Now of course that's just my experience and I can't say for sure if that's typical of people like me, and I suppose one can argue that normally everyone, neurotypical or otherwise, is putting on a "performance" to some extent in social situations. But it sure doesn't feel normal to me.

Yeah, this sounds accurate for me as well.

Kthulhu

Well it succeeded in not offending me, so that's something. I'd actually love if this was something I could show to people who want to know what it's like to live with Autism, but my expectations are low.

Not exactly happy at the idea that they only talked to a professor and not any doctors or people that actually have Autism, but it's a start, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Watch Dogs 2 did a pretty good job at it.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it myself.

In video games there is an autistic woman in
To The Moon

Gonna add it to my wishlist.

Orb

As an autistic person, I don't feel very comfortable that they went with basically an Autism researcher rather than actual autistic people. Though, this happening at all is neat.

edit:

Watch Dogs 2 did a pretty good job at it.

Watch Dogs 2 has an autistic character?

Kthulhu

As an autistic person, I don't feel very comfortable that they went with basically an Autism researcher rather than actual autistic people. Though, this happening at all is neat.

edit:

Watch Dogs 2 has an autistic character?

Yes, Josh has Asperger's Syndrome.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I may have to check out Watchdog's 2 as well though I was no fan of the first. Maybe I'll just watch some youtube videos.

I mean, it looks pretty damn accurate to me, I just echo the sentiment that hopefully him finding a relationship doesn't just magic everything better.

It's a constant struggle.

Orb

Yes, Josh has Asperger's Syndrome.

I really need to get around to playing that tbh

Also, I hope this thing is good because generally I'm pretty high functioning aside from social anxieties and eye contact, and I've never been around or really seen anybody lower on the spectrum IRL or even in media really.

Kthulhu

I really need to get around to playing that tbh

Also, I hope this thing is good because generally I'm pretty high functioning aside from social anxieties and eye contact, and I've never been around or really seen anybody lower on the spectrum IRL or even in media really.

I took special education classes in highschool so I was exposed to quite a few.

I still have conflicting feelings about it. The amount of self reflection it caused me was very uncomfortable and is something I still think about.

HStallion

I still have conflicting feelings about it. The amount of self reflection it caused me was very uncomfortable and is something I still think about.

Both my brothers have sons who are farther onto the spectrum than I ever was. One is 5 and barely ever speaks. I feel guilty because they see me and think their kids will turn out like me and I don't think that will be the case. I was never non verbal even if I had some speech issues when younger. Its constantly an eye opening experience on a variety of levels. I wonder if Pacific Islander are more prone to autism or if its just my family in particular.

Same. In the campus group, we were all relatively high functioning, but in outside groups, it was quite eye-opening to interact and talk with others on different spots on the spectrum

Orb

It'd be uncomfortable to me because sometimes I feel I shouldn't really say anything on the matter because I turned out pretty good compared to most with Autism and I'd feel guilty, but then there's a shit ton of jackasses and vile out there so that's not really an option lol

Both my brothers have sons who are farther onto the spectrum than I ever was. One is 5 and barely ever speaks. I feel guilty because they see me and think their kids will turn out like me and I don't think that will be the case. I was never non verbal even if I had some speech issues when younger. Its constantly an eye opening experience on a variety of levels. I wonder if Pacific Islander are more prone to autism or if its just my family in particular.

In my case I was the opposite growing up and was talking like full sentences at 2, but I ended up with extreme behavioral problems for most of my childhood.

Kthulhu

Same. In the campus group, we were all relatively high functioning, but in outside groups, it was quite eye-opening to interact and talk with others on different spots on the spectrum

The saddest part is that you know that some of them will never be independent once they reach adulthood.

I knew a kid who wanted to do commentary for football (American), but based on how he was I knew he probably would never achieve his dream. I can only imagine how his parents felt.

My boyfriend has a nephew like that. He turned 3, and my bf's mom thinks little R is just like him and will grow out of it. Even if he does become verbal, he'll never grow out of it.

Both me and my boyfriend growing up were treated as "it's just a phase" approach, and problems were never actually addressed. It's frustrating as an adult to know we could've had help as a kid, and now that we really could use help, it's so hard to get.

RC0101

My daughter is 7 and was diagnosed PDD-NOS at 3 and hardly talked until she was 4. She's verbal now but struggles making friends and she is going into the 3rd grade. I'm pretty nervous to see how things go when she hits her teen years. This show looks good but at least it looks like he has a friend.

I would give anything for my daughter to have just one best friend who isn't her brother. He is going into Kindergarten and I know it's going to be difficult for her once he starts making friends since he is totally social and doesn't have autism.

I get what the trailer was going for but all the attempts at humor were terrible. I have high functioning autism but have issues deeper than that. I also am bipolar and have depression, and when I start having issues I have trouble figuring out where exactly I go for help.

HStallion

I get what the trailer was going for but all the attempts at humor were terrible. I have high functioning autism but have issues deeper than that. I also am bipolar and have depression, and when I start having issues I have trouble figuring out where exactly I go for help.

I think the very nature of Autism can seriously exacerbate other issues someone might have. When you can't talk to people easily on basic stuff, having to speak about serious mental issues is many many times worse. I've dealt with depression for a long time and it started in High School where I had a very rough time and basically no one in my school really understood what was going on as I wasn't diagnosed until I was having massive problems in school. It really sucks as it often feels like you're on an island all by yourself.

Orb

I don't really have much advice, though I can relate as I also have bipolar and off/on depression, and bad depictions fuck with that

Especially when ableist family see One Thing and try to apply it to me as if every mentally ill person on tv is the same

Kthulhu

I'm guessing that part of the goal with this show is to shed light on certain issues autistic people face while also attempting to normalize us.

I just hope they can do it justice for the majority of people. Ideally the show won't just focus on this one kid and his family.

I think the very nature of Autism can seriously exacerbate other issues someone might have. When you can't talk to people easily on basic stuff, having to speak about serious mental issues is many many times worse. I've dealt with depression for a long time and it started in High School where I had a very rough time and basically no one in my school really understood what was going on as I wasn't diagnosed until I was having massive problems in school. It really sucks as it often feels like you're on an island all by yourself.
I could almost copy and paste that post. My mom had thought I might have had aspergers for a while, but I tried dismissing that for a long time because I didn't want to go therapy. Only crazy people do that, right? But I started going to a therapist for depression after it started really taking a toll on my health and school performance. It was tough going through high school and college seeing everyone else your age being able to hang out so easily with friends and you can't. Discovering that my campus had a spectrum peer group was a godsend, and also finally coming to terms that I had autism and accepting that

Kthulhu

I don't really have much advice, though I can relate as I also have bipolar and off/on depression, and bad depictions fuck with that

Especially when ableist family see One Thing and try to apply it to me as if every mentally ill person on tv is the same

Don't get me started on this. My mom is exactly like this despite all the "research" she's done. I'm glad I decided to stay with my dad. I love her, but she just doesn't know jack about what it's like.

Edit: Not that my dad is perfect. He treats me like I'm too normal.

The weird thing is, just typing things I can freely speak without any limitations. I've gone into deep details of my issues with many people online before. It's in-person where I have trouble speaking what I want to. Whenever I went to a counselor, they barely got any idea what I was going through because I just couldn't speak up about it. Most of the responses I gave were simple one word answers. Because I couldn't really get help in real life, I always went online to find people to help me with my problems.

I could almost copy and paste that post. My mom had thought I might have had aspergers for a while, but I tried dismissing that for a long time because I didn't want to go therapy. Only crazy people do that, right? But I started going to a therapist for depression after it started really taking a toll on my health and school performance. It was tough going through high school and college seeing everyone else your age being able to hang out so easily with friends and you can't. Discovering that my campus had a spectrum peer group was a godsend, and also finally coming to terms that I had autism and accepting that

I dropped out of high school my first year and started doing my schooling online because I couldn't take it anymore because of my depression and paranoia. When I was 14 in 8th grade grade I got sent to a mental hospital twice. The first time was for depression, where one day my mind just completely shut down. The second time was a month later for a reason I rather not make public. It was the main reason for my paranoia though and a big reason why I dropped out.

Orb

Don't get me started on this. My mom is exactly like this despite all the "research" she's done. I'm glad I decided to stay with my dad. I love her, but she just doesn't know jack about what it's like.

Edit: Not that my dad is perfect. He treats me like I'm too normal.

It's awful, especially when I can tell most of the extended family still hold my actions as a kid against me even though I've more than grown up into a decently normal person.

The other family members are the opposite end and have a unhealthily positive obsession with their own mental illnesses

Ive had to learn the hard way to just not trust any of their judgements, which also makes me scared for my young cousins/brothers who might have something and i cant help :/

I suppose this is a bit OT, but do any of you guys have experience with being diagnosed in adulthood? I've toyed around the possibility of having autism for some time now but never gave it too much thought since attributing my issues with social interaction to anxiety, introversion, and poor social skills seemed to make more sense. But after going through years of CBT, thinking back on my history, and reading some of the experiences of gaffers in this thread and that dating thread, I'm now seriously considering that this is something I should explore further. The feelings and experiences of many gaffers with autism are turning out to be very reminiscent of my own. I've come a long way in dealing with my various issues, but throughout the past two years or so, I've increasingly felt like I'm missing something important by approaching my struggles as strictly anxiety-related issues. I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to comes to learning about autism in relation to myself in any official capacity, however.

I suppose this is a bit OT, but do any of you guys have experience with being diagnosed in adulthood? I've toyed around the possibility of having autism for some time now but never gave it too much thought since attributing my issues with social interaction to anxiety, introversion, and poor social skills seemed to make more sense
Like how old? I got diagnosed at 22

Kthulhu

It was pretty awful for me in elementary school where I went to a Christian private school. The other kids didn't know I had autism, but I was bullied so much I had to be pulled out by my parents.

I eventually went to a public highschool and it was a godsend for me. People were tolerant, there were multiple staff members able to help me if needed, and the other students were understanding.

Ceej

My daughter is 7 and was diagnosed PDD-NOS at 3 and hardly talked until she was 4. She's verbal now but struggles making friends and she is going into the 3rd grade. I'm pretty nervous to see how things go when she hits her teen years. This show looks good but at least it looks like he has a friend.

I would give anything for my daughter to have just one best friend who isn't her brother. He is going into Kindergarten and I know it's going to be difficult for her once he starts making friends since he is totally social and doesn't have autism.

this is GREAT. If she has a bff bro who isn't on the spectrum he can help her practice learning how to make friends. I am a firm believer that it is observation and practice... being social can be learned, we just lack the social instinct

The tough part in the teens will be dealing with meltdowns... make sure she gets more than enough intense exercise.

Orb

I suppose this is a bit OT, but do any of you guys have experience with being diagnosed in adulthood? I've toyed around the possibility of having autism for some time now but never gave it too much thought since attributing my issues with social interaction to anxiety, introversion, and poor social skills seemed to make more sense. But after going through years of CBT, thinking back on my history, and reading some of the experiences of gaffers in this thread and that dating thread, I'm now seriously considering that this is something I should explore further. The feelings and experiences of many gaffers with autism are turning out to be very reminiscent of my own. I've come a long way in dealing with my various issues, but throughout the past two years or so, I've increasingly felt like I'm missing something important by approaching my struggles as strictly anxiety-related issues. I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to comes to learning about autism in relation to myself in any official capacity, however.

I was misdiagnosed multiple times until I got the final right one around 15/16, though that's probably a bit too young for you. Though, be very careful with how you approach this. I'd say try to see a professional(if you can) if you seriously think you may be on the spectrum.

I'm almost 24.
I just turned 25 last month

What helped me was going to a therapist. Also not sure if you're living with your parents, but my mom and dad coming along to provide context and tell the therapist about events and stuff that I had forgotten or when I was very young also helped the therapist diagnose me.

There is a huge amount of resources out there for people on the spectrum, both to learn about and to seek support, job opportunities, peer groups, social and job training, etc.

Learning that I was on the spectrum really helped me understand myself better and helped my family understand me better and develop new strategies to communicate, as well as help better focus on the aspects I struggle with.

Suddenly, there were defined reasons for things I struggled with, reasons I could work with and understand. It was very helpful, and my big regret was wishing I had been diagnosed much earlier in my life.

RC0101

this is GREAT. If she has a bff bro who isn't on the spectrum he can help her practice learning how to make friends. I am a firm believer that it is observation and practice... being social can be learned, we just lack the social instinct

The tough part in the teens will be dealing with meltdowns... make sure she gets more than enough intense exercise.
Oh yeah for sure it's been so amazing the amount she has learned from him. he is pretty close to her but I do worry that she relies too much on him and he is almost her safety blanket if that makes sense. Wish our area had more resources available.

Sophia

qrYjdFw.gif

This part was kind of realistic actually. I've certainly had panic attacks in certain scenarios and gone "NOPE" before like this.

But the rest of the trailer... ehh... it just doesn't strike me as a realistic portrayal of autism? It's certainly not been my experience or the experiences of people I've met with autism at any rate.

The new 2017 Power Rangers movie had a much better portrayal of autism, I felt. That being said, I will give this show a watch regardless.

I'm almost 24. How'd you go about finding out?

I'm a Fragile X Carrier, so my situation is a bit different. There's a specialist at UC Davis Mind Institute that focuses on autism in carriers, and I was able to get approval from insurance for an appointment. The down side, it's not until the end of September, and I made the appointment back in March.

My boyfriend is in the process of it. He called the mental health line with the insurance and got a referral to a psychologist. He's in the process of getting learning disability services at school, but we still have to go through another agency to get an autism diagnosis. The psychologist can't directly diagnose it as autism.

Just be prepared that it can take months to get an official diagnosis. You might also want to talk to your parents about school records of any behavioral problems or if you have any special classes (like being in a smaller class size, or having individual instruction in a particular subject during the school day). And the worst part is opening up and actually being honest about problems, social issues, and other awkward situations that feel unacceptable in society.

I'll have to watch it before I make conclusions. I have pretty much every movie I've ever seen about Autism, such as the Temple Grandin film and Rainman. Autism is not necessarily debilitating due to it being a spectrum, but it can doom low functioning individuals to not even being able to live an actual life. Portraying it is tricky since it's easy to trivialize the fuck out of it, when it is so serious as a disorder.

laoni

I'm almost 24. How'd you go about finding out?

I was diagnosed at 16, after I started seeing a psychologist for my depression. We'd actually studied it in school years prior, and I'd gone 'wow, this sounds like me.' but, I never told anyone about that. My best friend throughout both school was on the spectrum so I sort of figured 'oh, I'm just attributing these to myself to be closer to my friends, I don't really have it, surely someone would have told me by now if I did'.

I think I wasn't diagnosed for so long because I'm a woman, so we have different presentations, because I was always classed as 'gifted' so any social awkwardness was attributed to that, and I underwent a lot of social training as a toddler for anger issues.

It took a few months for everything to go through, and ultimately, it broke up the relationship I had with my father (he insisted that autism isn't a real condition, and it was made up by my mother and the psychologist so that my mother could control me and deny my independence)

I think I wasn't diagnosed for so long because I'm a woman, so we have different presentations, because I was always classed as 'gifted' so any social awkwardness was attributed to that, and I underwent a lot of social training as a toddler for anger issues.
That's the same thing that happened to me. Parents assumed the social awkwardness was because of that. Also I was a preemie, so they figured a lot of early signs when I was a toddler where because of that, never considered autism

Top Bottom