• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autism At Center Of New Netflix Series ‘Atypical’

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I wish I could find out more about autistic children going to school for the first time and what to expect. My kid is going to be going to a neurotypical school for the first time this year. I'm terrified.

started watching. i think im on the 3rd or 4th episode. i like it so far.

outside of the dad everyone looks so familiar but i can't pinpoint them lol.

deadlast

I wish I could find out more about autistic children going to school for the first time and what to expect. My kid is going to be going to a neurotypical school for the first time this year. I'm terrified.
This is a show about a family with a son that has autism. Not a lot of useful information. It was good at making me and my wife freak out about high school.

You could always check out http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=530682&page=1 for talking to parents and autistics. We have lots of good people in there.

Unicorn

Was your child in preschool? Any support or outreach from the school? HFA, I assume as will be in a gen-ed classroom?

Artdayne

I've only seen the trailer but it felt a bit too clean for me, I don't want something that depicts the struggle of Autism as something a bit too, idk, as a "I just need to touch some boobies" goal post.

I have never been diagnosed with Autism but I feel very strongly that I'm on the spectrum. I'm 35 years old and it had never really occurred to me until perhaps about a year ago. I have tremendous difficulty showing any type of emotion in social situations unless we're talking about something I'm highly interested in. I could go on and on about it but I don't want to drag on.

Anyway, I'll probably watch a bit of this and hopefully it can draw me in. Certainly some of the things in the trailer hit home for me.

Alphahawk

I've only seen the trailer but it felt a bit too clean for me, I don't want something that depicts the struggle of Autism as something a bit too, idk, as a "I just need to touch some boobies" goal post.

I have never been diagnosed with Autism but I feel very strongly that I'm on the spectrum. I'm 35 years old and it had never really occurred to me until perhaps about a year ago. I have tremendous difficulty showing any type of emotion in social situations unless we're talking about something I'm highly interested in. I could go on and on about it but I don't want to drag on.

Anyway, I'll probably watch a bit of this and hopefully it can draw me in. Certainly some of the things in the trailer hit home for me.

I'd watch the show before making a judgement call. It's actualy more sweet than the trailer implies.

Oh also there's going to be more seasons.

Alastor3

So im at episode 4, got damn I hate the mother so much. Also some of the line are completely stupid, when the dad goes to the therapy group and the person who is in charge keep interupting him because the dad said '' my autistic son'' instead of ''my kid with autism'' I mean what the fuck with that script.

But beside that, I really like the boy's perspective, it's the most interesting one and from what little I know about autism, the show is showing it right.

edit: is it wrong to me to say i hope the mother just goes away?

edit2: So I finished it. It was pretty good and the ending was nice. Love the daughter. The boyfriend of the psychologist tho... wtf with that last scene.

Top Bottom