• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Smokey

Best Buy has the 55-inch LG B7 for $1800 and 65-inch B7 for $2800 (I don't mind the silver trim).

Without getting into too many crazy details, I basically need to make my next TV purchase via Best Buy. I'd love to splurge on the 65-inch, but that's a bad move for my moneyz right now. I'm leaning towards the 55-inch for budget reasons.

Is this current pricing a good time, or should I try to hold out more? I talked myself out of the $600 TCL. I just don't want to buy the 55 and see that if I waited a bit, super crazy reductions are on the LG 7s and I could have gotten either a cheaper 55 or even a 65.

Thanks in advance.

This close, might as well wait for Black Friday. As someone who came from a 55" the to a 65" OLED, I'd really suggest trying to get there of at all possible. With 4k the bigger the better. OLED 55" still a great screen, just my thoughts.

How is that possible without the bandwidth. I want to see pc mode fixed for hdr so I can use it for gaming.

Bandwidth is technically "there", as the connector doesn't change for 2.1, which theoretically (or less theoretically, based on this update) means fw upgrades can enable features.

Also audio bandwidth is considerably less of a concern than video bandwidth

E: Here's some context if you're curious...

http://developer.dolby.com/News/Dolby_Audio_Over_HDMI_Part_1__Codecs.aspx

I was actually not aware that Atmos doesn't add any bandwidth at all, it's merely a reinterpretation of the existing DD+/True HD data.

pepperzz

This might be the wrong place to post but I'm at a loss...

I went away for a week and came back to my LG C7 not playing any sound through any of the HDMI ports. I've tried internal sound, optical out, and HDMI ARC. I've tried all of the ports. Sound works fine through all smart apps and TV config sound tests.

Anyone run into this issue? Was there an update that completely broke my set? I tried phoning LG but they were less than helpful. Before getting them to replace the set I was just wondering if there's some stupid hidden setting somewhere.

Kyoufu

This might be the wrong place to post but I'm at a loss...

I went away for a week and came back to my LG C7 not playing any sound through any of the HDMI ports. I've tried internal sound, optical out, and HDMI ARC. I've tried all of the ports. Sound works fine through all smart apps and TV config sound tests.

Anyone run into this issue? Was there an update that completely broke my set? I tried phoning LG but they were less than helpful. Before getting them to replace the set I was just wondering if there's some stupid hidden setting somewhere.

I had a HDMI port with no sound a couple of days ago. The only way I fixed it was by rebooting the TV. To reboot, enable or disable HDMI Deep Colour on a port to get the restart option. Hope it works for you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...troduces-two-major-new-features/#324787e622d6

Well this sure muddy's the HDMI 2.1 waters. So the C7 now supports lossless over HDMI ARC? Huge for me, yet very surprising...

Bandwidth is technically "there", as the connector doesn't change for 2.1, which theoretically (or less theoretically, based on this update) means fw upgrades can enable features.

Also audio bandwidth is considerably less of a concern than video bandwidth

E: Here's some context if you're curious...

http://developer.dolby.com/News/Dolby_Audio_Over_HDMI_Part_1__Codecs.aspx

I was actually not aware that Atmos doesn't add any bandwidth at all, it's merely a reinterpretation of the existing DD+/True HD data.

Oh wow, that's pretty impressive. Nice job LG. That's really cool.

pepperzz

I had a HDMI port with no sound a couple of days ago. The only way I fixed it was by rebooting the TV. To reboot, enable or disable HDMI Deep Colour on a port to get the restart option. Hope it works for you.

The Deep Colour option didn't work for me but it made me try unplugging the TV for like 30 minutes and plugging it back in and that worked! Thanks.

Kyoufu

The Deep Colour option didn't work for me but it made me try unplugging the TV for like 30 minutes and plugging it back in and that worked! Thanks.

Nice!

Weird that Deep Colour didn't prompt a reboot though. When I change it from On to Off (or vice versa) it asks me if I want to reboot to apply the change.

For some reason that's the only way to manually restart the TV. LG pls.

torontoml

So I'm probably late to this but I was just reading that Panasonic has partnered with Samsung to push HDR10+. And LG is pushing Dolby Vision.

I have a Panny UB900 UHD player, a LG B7P and a Marantz 5011 receiver.

So am I right in assuming I won't be able to get either DV or HDR10+ content on physical disc anytime soon.

Kyoufu

So I'm probably late to this but I was just reading that Panasonic has partnered with Samsung to push HDR10+. And LG is pushing Dolby Vision.

I have a Panny UB900 UHD player, a LG B7P and a Marantz 5011 receiver.

So am I right in assuming I won't be able to get either DV or HDR10+ content on physical disc anytime soon.

LG haven't announced their HDR10+ plans. They have no reason to not support it provided that their current TVs meet the specification required. If it requires HDMI 2.1 then you'd have to upgrade the TV.

Word on the street is that several manufacturers are expected to announce HDR10+ support in 2018, starting at CES.

This close, might as well wait for Black Friday. As someone who came from a 55" the to a 65" OLED, I'd really suggest trying to get there of at all possible. With 4k the bigger the better. OLED 55" still a great screen, just my thoughts.

I want the B7 but my budget can't do 65 inches. But I'm in an apartment so 55 will be fine. Supposedly Beach Camera has the B7 for $1499 if you call in? Should I just make the jump now or wait it out for Black Friday?

I was between that or the X900E. Hearing that there's a sale this week might have me undecided

Ashhong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...troduces-two-major-new-features/#324787e622d6

Well this sure muddy's the HDMI 2.1 waters. So the C7 now supports lossless over HDMI ARC? Huge for me, yet very surprising...

So this would be for the B7 as well then? I thought it didn’t have this Atmos feature? If I was to put in a Blu-ray with Atmos, I can use Atmos via hdmi and send it straight to speakers?

Also should I update my B7? Aren’t people worried about getting that dim hdr or whatever

I want the B7 but my budget can't do 65 inches. But I'm in an apartment so 55 will be fine. Supposedly Beach Camera has the B7 for $1499 if you call in? Should I just make the jump now or wait it out for Black Friday?

I was between that or the X900E. Hearing that there's a sale this week might have me undecided

Do you have a credit card with price matching? I got my B7 for 1500 from Beach and then got 500$ back by price matching it to a ebuyusa.com

torontoml

LG haven't announced their HDR10+ plans. They have no reason to not support it provided that their current TVs meet the specification required. If it requires HDMI 2.1 then you'd have to upgrade the TV.

Word on the street is that several manufacturers are expected to announce HDR10+ support in 2018, starting at CES.
Well that is hopeful news then, I was worried this was going to be another "format war" thing where some people miss out for a few years. I guess I'll see when CES comes around and hopefully don't need 2.1.

So this would be for the B7 as well then? I thought it didn’t have this Atmos feature? If I was to put in a Blu-ray with Atmos, I can use Atmos via hdmi and send it straight to speakers?

Also should I update my B7? Aren’t people worried about getting that dim hdr or whatever

Do you have a credit card with price matching? I got my B7 for 1500 from Beach and then got 500$ back by price matching it to a ebuyusa.com

I have the Citi Double Cash which has a price rewind feature.

How did you manage to price match to an ebuyusa?

Ashhong

I have the Citi Double Cash which has a price rewind feature.

How did you manage to price match to an ebuyusa?

Hm I think that card is only select merchants?

With Chase or Discover you just submit a claim with proof of a lower price at any other merchant, except auction sites, and voila

Hm I think that card is only select merchants?

With Chase or Discover you just submit a claim with proof of a lower price at any other merchant, except auction sites, and voila

Hard to say. I'm looking at a FAQ and you can initiate the request if you find a better price but not sure if they'll accept a screengrab of the price and whether they would honor a site like that.

Ashhong

Hard to say. I'm looking at a FAQ and you can initiate the request if you find a better price but not sure if they'll accept a screengrab of the price and whether they would honor a site like that.

Looks like it’ll work. Also looks like if I paid for say a B7 with half on the Citi and half on a Chase Freedom, I could file a price match on both and potentially double up....

Looks like it’ll work. Also looks like if I paid for say a B7 with half on the Citi and half on a Chase Freedom, I could file a price match on both and potentially double up....

Well I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, no harm no foul. $1499 was more or less my trigger price for an OLED but if I can get a couple hundred back in the process or what not that will take away the sting of paying for a 4K UHD player.

Chitown B

But then there are the noticeable ones and the ones you don't see :)
I barely notice retentioj problems on my cellphone.

Anyway, it seems the LG C7 is the sweet spot for performance/quality, and it's sitting on the 2300€ over here.

Tempting but feels a bit outside my budget for now.

I have a 10 year old Pioneer plasma that still has no retention. People fretted so much about it back then.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bought the Sony A1 55" last Saturday. Guess it's going to be one hell of an upgrade from my current Panasonic TX47ETW5. Sitting around 2 meters away from my screen so I guess 55" is just the sweet spot for 4k.

Can't wait to see the image at home in the night. Not just because of the resolution but especially because of the colors. My Panasonic had huge issues with clouding (being edge LED and all) and I also never had a Plasma but only LCD so far. I was already stunned at the picture quality in the badly lit store.

And did I mention just how fucking slick the A1 looks? Man, that's a masterclass of optical design right there.

Should get it next week I hope - just in time to replay Horizon in 4k with HDR before the add on is released. :)

Anybody think I should wait to pick up the TCL 55P607 till black Friday? It's already an "old" model I think and I'm not sure if it'll go below the $599-$650 it's going for now. What say you TVGaf?

muggen76

Anybody think I should wait to pick up the TCL 55P607 till black Friday? It's already an "old" model I think and I'm not sure if it'll go below the $599-$650 it's going for now. What say you TVGaf?

Id wait, its really close. Im also planning a new set for BF. Not yet decided on oled or led..

muggen76

I'll be getting my 55 inch LG OLED B7V on Friday.

Should i update it to the latest firmware or leave it with whatever it comes with?

Id love an update how you like it in the weekend. Its one of the sets im thinking of pulling the trigger on come black friday. Some people think its dim compared to higher end leds from Sony and Samsung. Sittning on a 7 year old philips today..

Id love an update how you like it in the weekend. Its one of the sets im thinking of pulling the trigger on come black friday. Some people think its dim compared to higher end leds from Sony and Samsung. Sittning on a 7 year old philips today..

I actually just got it on sale from curries (in the UK) so the base price is down to £1799 and i used a code "LSTV10A" during checkout which actually knocked the price down to
£ 1619.10

I kinda figured that even with a possible drop on black Friday it might not be worth £180. I also looked at last years price history of the B6 and it actually didn't drop at all on black Friday, so if you're gonna go for it, now might be the time?

Either way i'm happy to share my impressions. I'm going from a 5 year old 1080p LG screen so i'm hoping the combo of OLED, 4k and HDR will be a pretty big step up.

Any big negatives on the Sony X900E series? Looking for a good all-arounder in the 49-55" range at around 1000€, I'm willing to wait for deals to get one at that price. Reviews seem quite positive, integrated Chromecast and 4 HDMI ports are definitely positives for my use. Having those would mean I can keep everything connected at all times. I'd also like something that will serve me as long as my trusty old Sony KDL-40W4000 from 2008 :)

There was a great deal for the 55" model last week (1000€), but I hesitated on it so I'll probably need to wait for black Friday deals to get one around that price.

edit: Looks like the 55" X850E series model is currently available for under 900€, it's a step down but it doesn't seem terrible either. The biggest issue seems to be much worse HDR quality. Not sure how big of an impact that would have, I'm yet to watch anything in HDR..

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
I'll be getting my 55 inch LG OLED B7V on Friday.

Should i update it to the latest firmware or leave it with whatever it comes with?

Depends what firmware it ships with and what you want in the end. I have B7V and it came with previous FW 03.60.15, that one IIRC introduced LGs infamous changes to HDR game mode (more dim/dark). If you have that one shipped, theres no reason not to update to 04.70.06 as it's supposed to solve lipsync errors and also introduces new picture mode "Technicolor".

Arkanius

I managed to find the LG 55 C7 for 1849€ in a retailer near my home.
At this price, it's a go right?

Use cases by priority order:
Netflix 4K
PC Gaming
BluRay
Cable TV

Deepo

Those images don’t tell us very much. Was Eco turned off in the General settings? Was the picture mode the same? Was the gamma the same? Was the dynamic contrast the same etc?

All settings were the same on both. Game mode, Medium gamma, no Dynamic Contrast. The brightness works a little bit different on the 2017 models though, so a 50 brightness on a 2017 set is more like a 53 on a 2016 set. So I changed that around, but it didn't improve the issue in my opinion.

Anyway, I've decided to keep my C6 and return the C7. There are two things that led me to that decision. First, the way the C7 handles details in dark environments, for example a cave wall in The Witcher 3, just wasn't as pleasing as on the C6, at least not on my sample (which is weird, since most reviews say the 2017 models are better at this). Second, I just realized how much I love the curve of the C6. I'm the only one using the TV, so I'm always in the sweet spot. The curve adds a depth to the image that I didn't realize how much I loved before I tried a flat panel. Really hoping LG adds a curved model to the 2018 lineup.

Looking for a bit of advice here. I use my TV mostly for gaming, a 32 inch Samsung. Full HD, nothing special, it was like £250 at the time. I'm looking to move into 4K/HDR. Can't afford OLED, and I'm looking at spending £450 to get me something that ticks both boxes. I've come across a 43 inch LG, model is 43UJ651V.

Can anyone vouch for that particular TV or LG in general? My folks have got a bigger Samsung TV downstairs, also 1080p, and I do notice an improvement while using that. I'm kinda thinking that anything that does 4K/HDR is going to be enough for me, but if there's something out there comparatively better for the same price, I'd be keen to go for that.

julrik

Any big negatives on the Sony X900E series? Looking for a good all-arounder in the 49-55" range at around 1000€, I'm willing to wait for deals to get one at that price. Reviews seem quite positive, integrated Chromecast and 4 HDMI ports are definitely positives for my use. Having those would mean I can keep everything connected at all times. I'd also like something that will serve me as long as my trusty old Sony KDL-40W4000 from 2008 :)

There was a great deal for the 55" model last week (1000€), but I hesitated on it so I'll probably need to wait for black Friday deals to get one around that price.

edit: Looks like the 55" X850E series model is currently available for under 900€, it's a step down but it doesn't seem terrible either. The biggest issue seems to be much worse HDR quality. Not sure how big of an impact that would have, I'm yet to watch anything in HDR..
I'd wait for a sale and grab the X900E. The X850E is not as good. No real negatives with the X900E, except the Android OS is supposedly slow at times. More FALD zones would be welcome as well, but you can't really call that a big negative.

I'm waiting for a sale as well, and will grab the 65 inch. I have an OLED now.

Looking for a bit of advice here. I use my TV mostly for gaming, a 32 inch Samsung. Full HD, nothing special, it was like £250 at the time. I'm looking to move into 4K/HDR. Can't afford OLED, and I'm looking at spending £450 to get me something that ticks both boxes. I've come across a 43 inch LG, model is 43UJ651V.

Can anyone vouch for that particular TV or LG in general? My folks have got a bigger Samsung TV downstairs, also 1080p, and I do notice an improvement while using that. I'm kinda thinking that anything that does 4K/HDR is going to be enough for me, but if there's something out there comparatively better for the same price, I'd be keen to go for that.

are you looking to stick with that size set in general? What's max size you want to go?

So this would be for the B7 as well then? I thought it didn't have this Atmos feature? If I was to put in a Blu-ray with Atmos, I can use Atmos via hdmi and send it straight to speakers?

Also should I update my B7? Aren't people worried about getting that dim hdr or whatever

My understanding was that the B7 didn't process and output Atmos via the TV speakers, while the C and above models can. I'd argue that Atmos via tv speakers is worthless anyway, but regardless, the ability to send Atmos back out via HDMI ARC should have always been there on both B and C and above series.

The specific scenario you're asking about, outputting bitstream to TV and having it come back via ARC would likely need to be tested by someone to confirm for sure.

Kermy

FWIW, a negative for me is the lack of Dolby Vision on the X900E.

I'd wait for a sale and grab the X900E. The X850E is not as good. No real negatives with the X900E, except the Android OS is supposedly slow at times. More FALD zones would be welcome as well, but you can't really call that a big negative.

I'm waiting for a sale as well, and will grab the 65 inch. I have an OLED now.

Just out of interest, what makes you go from an OLED to the Sony?
FWIW, a negative for me is the lack of Dolby Vision on the X900E.
I honestly have no idea what the impact of that is, as I said I haven't even watched anything in HDR. But I'll read up on it a bit, I'm looking for something that will last years so I'd like to not have shortcomings especially as far as supported standards go.

BumRush

Heads up for anyone that's interested (since, although it's somewhat unrelated, it's been discussed on here before), RTINGS started adding monitor reviews on 10/12 and will continue to do so moving forward.

ElNino

Sorry for the noob question but what's the difference between the LG B7 and C7? Aside from the stand, they look pretty much identical to me.
Atmos enabled TV speakers (for what those are worth....)
I'm not even sure why they have both models to be honest, unless they are just trying to clear inventory on stands or something.

They are the same price so you just pick which ever one looks the best, which was the B7 for me.

Ashhong

I was using my OLED last night and it was too bright for me and I had to turn it down. Then again this was in pitch black. But in the day time as well it's more than fine. I haven't tested in a completely sunny room though.

I'm not even sure why they have both models to be honest, unless they are just trying to clear inventory on stands or something.

They are the same price so you just pick which ever one looks the best, which was the B7 for me.

I haven't seen the B7 the same price as C7 anywhere...but the B7 also has the silver trim around the screen. I agree it doesn't seem necessary to have both models

Top Bottom