• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

As far as I'm aware they haven't announced anything for compatibility. Though I wouldn't be surprised, generally five years after manufacturing on a model ends it becomes "vintage" in Apple's repair systems in most of the world, and is no longer supported.

"According to Apple, the official compatible hardware list of Macs capable of running Mac OS Sierra 10.12 is as follows:
MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
MacBook Air (2010 and later)
Mac Mini (2010 and later)
Mac Pro (2010 and later)
MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
iMac (Late 2009 and later)"

Edit: My original post was wrong and I found this.

"Sierra is the first version of macOS since OS X Mountain Lion, released in 2012, that does not run on all computers that the previous version supported.[8] Developers have created workarounds to install macOS Sierra on some Mac computers that are no longer officially supported.[9]"

Here is El Cpitan support:

"These computers can run El Capitan, provided they have at least 2GB of RAM:[9]

iMac: Mid 2007 or newer[10]
MacBook Aluminum: Late 2008
MacBook White/Black: Early 2009 or newer
MacBook Retina: All
MacBook Air: Late 2008 or newer
MacBook Pro 13-inch: Mid 2009 or newer
MacBook Pro 15-inch: Mid 2007 or newer
MacBook Pro 17-inch: Late 2007 or newer[7]
Mac Mini: Early 2009 or newer
Mac Pro: Early 2008 or newer
Xserve: Early 2009"

So maybe the Sierra supported computers list will remain the same for the next few big yearly macOS updates?

Also maybe you can hope for developer work arounds to let you install the latest MacOS for a few years even if they stop supporting it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Did Apple announce that the 2011 MBA will not be supported by the next OS Update?
OS is fine but Night Shift isn't compatible on it. That's fine because I've been using third party plugins for awhile. But it's a sign of things to come.

I'm pretty sure the M processors are one of the few Intel processors that are getting shrunk to 10nm this year. I don't remember if it's supposed to be paired with an actual new architecture as well, now that tick-tock has been thrown to the wind.

At 10nm, however, even as a shrink of Skylake/Kaby Lake, the M series should be ready for primetime. Better energy efficiency, higher clock speed, less throttling. Not to mention dedicated hardware for tasks like UHD video playback.
That big of a jump, huh? Interesting. These are on sale for $950 at Best Buy now and I'm debating whether it's worth the jump. Could be an opportune moment to switch but not if the next model is a substantial leap.

I have this old Seagate Backup Plus drive and was wondering if they ever made a Thunderbolt 2 adapter for it...does anyone know?

31JsdLorsDL.jpg

All I can find is this older Thunderbolt 1 adapter that's discontinued and at the prices...I might as well go buy another drive

EmiPrime

OS is fine but Night Shift isn't compatible on it. That's fine because I've been using third party plugins for awhile. But it's a sign of things to come.

I have an old Macbook that didn't get Handoff 3 years ago as part of Yosemite but it still got Sierra last year and will probably get 10.13. I don't think the writing is on the wall for your Mac just yet.

j-wood

I'm thinking about getting my first ever macbook. Would be general media use, some work (office mainly), and just to mess with. Which one should I get?

jts

...hate me...
I have this old Seagate Backup Plus drive and was wondering if they ever made a Thunderbolt 2 adapter for it...does anyone know?

All I can find is this older Thunderbolt 1 adapter that's discontinued and at the prices...I might as well go buy another drive
Haha, I have that exact drive right here in my hand, with my old OS X partition.

Cool enough idea but yeah, the TB adapter was outrageously priced (like every TB accessory tbh), and to be fair, it's probably overkill for a mechanical hard drive anyway.

More to the point, don't think they have made a TB2 adapter, no.

Fuchsdh

You mean Thunderbolt 3, right? The TB1 and TB2 ports and cables are identical.

SourBear

Banned
So dunno what was in that last MacOS update but my Macbook Pro 2016 non-tb battery life is fucking good now. I was watching a Coursera Course videos online over wifi for an hour and was still at 95%. Before the last update online video drained the battery really quickly. I'm pretty happy with the non-tb battery life now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ugh. New MacBooks, hurry up already. I wonder if we'll need to wait until June WWDC.

Jimrpg

Is Pixelmator the best Adobe Photoshop alternative on the Mac? Any other decent/cheap but good photo editing/image editing software. I want it to be pretty similar to photoshop but I don't want to spend that much money.

I don't really like GIMP either.

Futureman

anyone ever have Apple fix your trackpad?

I have a late 2013 MBP 15" and just recently whenever I try to do multi-touch stuff (click and drag a file for example) it gets all wonky and spazzy. If I'm just moving around with one finger doing normal stuff everything is fine.

what am I looking at? Something like $150??

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Running MacOS 10.12.4...

All of a sudden, every app I try to open flashes a "This is the first time you are opening this application" dialog...Any ideas why?
It does this sometimes when an update is installed.

The question is, does it only ask the first time you open the app, or every time you open the app? If it's the former, it's normal. If it's the latter, it's not supposed to happen.

anyone ever have Apple fix your trackpad?

I have a late 2013 MBP 15" and just recently whenever I try to do multi-touch stuff (click and drag a file for example) it gets all wonky and spazzy. If I'm just moving around with one finger doing normal stuff everything is fine.

what am I looking at? Something like $150??

If it's just the trackpad it'll probably be a little less than that. Sometimes the trackpad is going nuts because the battery is swelling underneath and pushing up on it from the bottom, so that would add some more cost. Only way to find out is to take it in!

Jimrpg

The best alternative is probably Affinity Photo. I like Acorn myself for simple image editing. Pixelmator I own but never use since I have the other two.

Ok cause on the app store, it looks like Affinity Photo is under the Photography category and Pixelmator is under graphics and design so it seems like Pixelmator is the one most similar to Photoshop?

The UI also seems like its very much like Photoshop from the screenshots.

I'll need it just for youtube thumbnails, so very basic stuff like layers and color balancing.

Pixelmator has a demo on its website. I like it (had it for about 5 years) but my needs are very basic.

Thanks - ill give that a go then. And thanks to the other responses too.

I bought an external harddrive to transfer backups from my old Macbook pro and every time I change/move around folders it asks me for my password.... is there anyway to disable this?

I bought an external harddrive to transfer backups from my old Macbook pro and every time I change/move around folders it asks me for my password.... is there anyway to disable this?

Is it asking for the password of the account that made those files

I am offered $2,000 for a MacBook Pro 512Gb Touch Bar 15".

It has 1 Battery Cycle. Is this totally worth it or is this a bad price?

You're buying or selling?

ngower

I see MacRumors suggest holding off for most Mac purchases right now. Do we have a general idea when these purported hardware refreshes are expected? My 3-4 year old MBA taking a physical beating and getting a lot of use in grad school, and I'd love to extend it's life with an iMac or Mac Mini as a home device.

Gonna to build a hackintosh this month, it is decided. Will keep you guys abreast of how it goes. Gonna start buying shit over the weekend.

Am super fucking excited.

giga

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-05-02/apple-can-t-ignore-microsoft-s-slick-new-laptop

Sad what has happened to Gurman since joining Bloomberg. He should know the Air is a dead product that was replaced by the Macbook One, and Apple's only pledge was regarding the mac pro.

That's the shame? The shame is that he's continuing the idea that the Surface line is a success

Microsoft has already cracked the professional and creative markets with inventive tablets and a desktop that turns into a virtual drafting table. Now it's chasing another category many believe is Apple’s to lose: the $1,000 laptop for everyone.

Cracked the professional market alright:

Microsoft's Surface business isn't really growing. Like Apple's Mac and iPad sales, Microsoft's Surface sales are more cyclical than typical commodity PC or phone sales, peaking in the holiday quarter. Unlike Apple's sales, Microsoft Surface hardware revenues (blue) have only hovered around $1 billion quarterly since it launched, with its two best quarters hitting $1.3 billion.

Compared to Apple's $5 to $7 billion quarterly Mac revenues (gold), that's not much. Alternatively, it's not much compared to iPad sales, which have ranged between $4 and $9 billion per quarter (green). However, Surface straddles the business of both, making the really fair comparison Apple's total Mac and iPad businesses together.

Surface revenue not only pales in comparison to Apple's hardware, but its best quarterly performance has still remained $1 billion shy of the $2.3 billion in quarterly revenues that Windows Phone hit back in 2015. Remember what a great business Windows Lumia phones were?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...narrative-microsoft-surface-vs-apple-ipad-mac

EmiPrime

The $1000 laptop that comes with 4GB RAM and has a mini display port instead of USB-C. Good one Gurman.

I think I see 100 Apple laptops for every 1 Surface around London universities. I can count the number of times I have seen a Surfacebook in the flesh on one hand. Apple's to lose indeed.

Blackhead

Redarse
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-05-02/apple-can-t-ignore-microsoft-s-slick-new-laptop

Sad what has happened to Gurman since joining Bloomberg. He should know the Air is a dead product that was replaced by the Macbook One, and Apple's only pledge was regarding the mac pro.

That's the shame? The shame is that he's continuing the idea that the Surface line is a success

the bitterness at Gurman articles is always funny

Cracked the professional market alright:

Microsoft's Surface business isn't really growing. Like Apple's Mac and iPad sales, Microsoft's Surface sales are more cyclical than typical commodity PC or phone sales, peaking in the holiday quarter. Unlike Apple's sales, Microsoft Surface hardware revenues (blue) have only hovered around $1 billion quarterly since it launched, with its two best quarters hitting $1.3 billion.

Compared to Apple's $5 to $7 billion quarterly Mac revenues (gold), that's not much. Alternatively, it's not much compared to iPad sales, which have ranged between $4 and $9 billion per quarter (green). However, Surface straddles the business of both, making the really fair comparison Apple's total Mac and iPad businesses together.

Surface revenue not only pales in comparison to Apple's hardware, but its best quarterly performance has still remained $1 billion shy of the $2.3 billion in quarterly revenues that Windows Phone hit back in 2015. Remember what a great business Windows Lumia phones were?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...narrative-microsoft-surface-vs-apple-ipad-mac
Let me get this straight: you're arguing that the Surface hasn't cracked the professional market by comparing the Surface sales (aka self admitted 'professional' products) to the total sales of all macs (including macbook airs, imacs, mac minis etc)? okay...

The $1000 laptop that comes with 4GB RAM and has a mini display port instead of USB-C. Good one Gurman.

I think I see 100 Apple laptops for every 1 Surface around London universities. I can count the number of times I have seen a Surfacebook in the flesh on one hand. Apple's to lose indeed.

exactly. Apple themselves said last month that laptops are 80% of their Mac sales. Microsoft is aiming squarely for that simple premium MBA market.

The MacBook One and MacBook Escape are just too expensive for what you get. There's no good $1,000 Mac laptop today and this Surface Laptop shits all over the MBA that Apple is selling on its website right now for $1,000.

giga

Let me get this straight: you're arguing that the Surface hasn't cracked the professional market by comparing the Surface sales (aka self admitted 'professional' products) to the total sales of all macs (including macbook airs, imacs, mac minis etc)? okay...

exactly. Apple themselves said last month that laptops are 80% of their Mac sales. Microsoft is aiming squarely for that simple premium MBA market
Can you refute what I said? Those two sentences from him have no basis in reality.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can you refute what I said? Those two sentences from him have no basis in reality.
his statements:
The Air hasn't had a serious makeover since 2010, just a modest upgrade two years ago.

this is correct

Stung by the criticism from the disgruntled faithful, Apple has pledged to do better.
this is also correct.

oh you interpreted the statement to mean that
Stung by the criticism from the disgruntled faithful, Apple has pledged to do better [Macbook Airs].

In the full context of his statement I think your interpretation is uncharitable:
Meanwhile, Apple has come under fire from Mac owners for focusing on the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch—and letting the Mac lineup languish. The Air hasn't had a serious makeover since 2010, just a modest upgrade two years ago. Stung by the criticism from the disgruntled faithful, Apple has pledged to do better [Macs].

the Macbook One is a not a replacement for the MBA; it's a successor — in the same way the trashcan Mac Pro is not a replacement for the Cheesegrate Mac Pro but is a (shitty) successor.

giga

Arguing the MB1 isn't the replacement but successor to the MBA is one of the worst forms of pedantry I've seen yet. No one argued the cheesegrater languished after the trash can came out because everyone saw it as its replacement. An inadequate one? Sure. But still a replacement.

So in that context, no it's not uncharitable. Gurman saying Apple has let the MBA languish is similar to someone saying Apple let the MBP with the SuperDrive languish, despite the retina being its true replacement. It's not based on the plainly obvious reality, no matter your difference of what a replacement and successor is.

Blackhead

Redarse
Arguing the MB1 isn't the replacement but successor to the MBA is one of the worst forms of pedantry I've seen yet. No one argued the cheesegrater languished after the trash can came out because everyone saw it as its replacement. An inadequate one? Sure. But still a replacement.

So in that context, no it's not uncharitable. Gurman saying Apple has let the MBA languish is similar to someone saying Apple let the MBP with the SuperDrive languish, despite the unibody being its true replacement. It's not based on the plainly obvious reality, no matter your difference of what a replacement and successor is.
No successor/replacement is my pedantry and not Gurman's argument. Don't even try to play that lol. I refuted what you said about Gurman then referred back to your original argument and replied to that with my personal take

p.s. his words are "Mac lineup languish" not let the 'MBA languish'.

giga

No successor/replacement is my pedantry and not Gurman's argument. Don't even try to play that lol. I refuted what you said about Gurman then referred back to your original argument and replied to that with my personal take

Guman's argument is wrong and I just explained why.

p.s. his words are "Mac lineup languish" not let the 'MBA languish'.
I don't have a problem with that take, but the MBA is a poor example to support it.

I'm saying you haven't cracked a market if no one is buying your shit

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The MacBook One just needs a few years to mature like the original Air did, then it'll be a proper replacement, hopefully with a lower price ($999 at most for the low end. And no shitty underpowered version just to make it $999.) and a processor up to speed with the current Air, if not close enough to not notice.

Didn't I hear that Intel was on track to eventually provide Apple with a One processor that's at least twice as fast? Would be a good step in the right direction.

My hope is that by the time I need to replace my 2013 rMBP, there'll be some really nice options available. All their laptops are overpriced right now because of new technologies. That touchbar needs to come down in cost and become ubiquitous across their MacBook line. (As much as people might not want to hear it, eventually that F-key version of the Pro will go away. Eventually.)

Also, give me an iPhone 7 style black model PLEASE! Space Grey isn't black enough. I want the same colorization that my iPhone has. It's gorgeous.

Blackhead

Redarse
Guman's argument is wrong and I just explained why.

No you didn't. You misinterpreted his words. He didn't say let the 'MBA languish', he said let the 'Mac line up languish'. You're being very uncharitable with your assumptions.
I'm saying you haven't cracked a market if no one is buying your shit

*shrug* you're right

The MacBook One just needs a few years to mature like the original Air did, then it'll be a proper replacement, hopefully with a lower price ($999 at most for the low end. And no shitty underpowered version just to make it $999.) and a processor up to speed with the current Air, if not close enough to not notice...

The original Macbook Air was released in January 2008. The 'good' MBA that took the market by storm was released in October 2010.
The MacBook One was released in March 2015. The 'good' Macbook that took the market by storm was released in _____ ? It should be this year, right?
The problem though is that Apple is kinda positioning the Macbook Escape as the MBA replacement

giga

No you didn't. You misinterpreted his words. He didn't say let the 'MBA languish', he said let the 'Mac line up languish'. You're being very uncharitable with your assumptions.

*shrug* you're right

I don't have a problem with a take that says Apple has let the Mac languish with a lack of hardware updates, but him using the MBA as an example of that is poor. That's been my argument this entire time.

Top Bottom