• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Well I like the touch bar a lot more than I did the first day I got my MBP. Yes it can use improvement. But I rarely if ever touch it accidentally.

It's amazing to start a new app and have context sensitive buttons pop up that are much better than the normal function keys. Fast forwarding a YouTube video with a slider is perfect, so is changing the volume. Switching to a different month in calendar using the TB is the way it should be. Etc.

Wonder if and when will see full touch keyboards where all buttons are programmable and app sensitive?

I might be clueless, but do you have to enable this? I've seen video options when I have Quicktime open etc, but never with YouTube, and I'm 80% of the time always on that site.

Deku Tree

I might be clueless, but do you have to enable this? I've seen video options when I have Quicktime open etc, but never with YouTube, and I'm 80% of the time always on that site.

No it is just one of the Touch bar option when I am watching YouTube In Safari. I never enabled anything.

If the YT/Touch Bar behaviour is new, I would suspect YT changed the media container a bit so that Safari recognizes it for what it is and presents the media controls to the Touch Bar. They recently (??) made it so arrow keys skip forward and back.

Can anyone recommend a decently priced Thunderbolt enclosure/RAID backup of sorts?

I use a Pegasus 2 R6 at work and looking at the prices...phew. Way too much.

Tom Nook

I'm more Windows/PC person than Apple.

My Dad gave me his old 2011 17" MacBookPro. The problem with it is that it would shut down during startup. The apple logo and process bar below would appear. When the progress bar would hit around 40 - 50%, the computer would shutdown. I researched the problem and it could be a bad Harddrive and needed to be replaced.

Is the Apple genius bar or Best Buy Geek Squad is a good place for repairs? Or Should go to yelp and find the best place?

Thank you.

My Dad gave me his old 2011 17" MacBookPro. The problem with it is that it would shut down during startup. The apple logo and process bar below would appear. When the progress bar would hit around 40 - 50%, the computer would shutdown. I researched the problem and it could be a bad Harddrive and needed to be replaced.

Is the Apple genius bar or Best Buy Geek Squad is a good place for repairs? Or Should go to yelp and find the best place?

The hard drive is easy to fix yourself.

If that's the issue.

Hold cmd-V as it boots and instead of a grey screen you should see UNIX-y robot barf. Perhaps there is a message just before it fails?

Also, if its firmware is up-to-date, holding cmd-R should boot it into a rescue mode (though if the disk is damaged, this will come from the internet and will take forever) that may allow you to run diagnostics.

So I sold myself into indentured servitude to pay for a Mac for IOS development. Now I'm trying to figure out some adapters as I didn't know it didn't even come with a basic one. I need to have a setup for dual displays. I have two 1440p monitors. One is 144hz not sure if that's even a supported output on a Mac? I don't really mind if it's HDMI 2.0 or DP adapter. But I'll need to have two. What's my best bang for buck option in terms ofadapter for the new Mac Book Pro?

Deku Tree

So I sold myself into indentured servitude to pay for a Mac for IOS development. Now I'm trying to figure out some adapters as I didn't know it didn't even come with a basic one. I need to have a setup for dual displays. I have two 1440p monitors. One is 144hz not sure if that's even a supported output on a Mac? I don't really mind if it's HDMI 2.0 or DP adapter. But I'll need to have two. What's my best bang for buck option in terms ofadapter for the new Mac Book Pro?

Display port to usbc(or Mini DisplayPort/TB depending on what you bought) cable from Monoprice?

Display port to usbc(or Mini DisplayPort/TB depending on what you bought) cable from Monoprice?

Pretty much, though it looks like all of their USB-C to HDMI/DisplayPort stuff is backordered to April 26th

https://www.monoprice.com/category/...puter-and-workstation-adapters/usb-c-adapters

EmiPrime

Anyone know why Airplay would work with some apps and the OS itself but not others? Safari and Photos don't give me Airplay icons. I've tried with the OS firewall on and off.

japtor

Can anyone recommend a decently priced Thunderbolt enclosure/RAID backup of sorts?

Pretty much anything TB still has a decent premium, do you need TB speed (or features if you know about them) vs USB 3? Same goes for whether you want RAID or just a multi drive bay...although most seem to have at least basic RAID functionality. Another option might be a NAS which would give some setup flexibility in exchange for speed/direct attachment.

Meh3D

The Pegasus 2 R6 is expensive but you can't beat 15TB (18TB Total) at 750 Writes /800ish Reads on raid 5 for about 2.1 - 2.4K. Yes, they cost as much as a new MacBook Pro but they're among the fastest. I know they have a version 3 with TB3 now. Consider what you're getting and the performance you get out of them they're worth every penny.

Pretty much anything TB still has a decent premium, do you need TB speed (or features if you know about them) vs USB 3? Same goes for whether you want RAID or just a multi drive bay...although most seem to have at least basic RAID functionality. Another option might be a NAS which would give some setup flexibility in exchange for speed/direct attachmendt.

He's talking about Pegasus2 R6 storage units. They're significantly more expensive than the other TB units and enclosures however they're FAST. (Hardware Raid.)

Pretty much anything TB still has a decent premium, do you need TB speed (or features if you know about them) vs USB 3? Same goes for whether you want RAID or just a multi drive bay...although most seem to have at least basic RAID functionality. Another option might be a NAS which would give some setup flexibility in exchange for speed/direct attachment.

Well theoretically I would use it for backups and for footage for editing. But I guess I could always just have a giant USB3 drive for storage and a smaller more portable Thunderbolt drive for editing.

I'm only worried about expandablility. I don't want to drop all that money on a Thunderbolt 2 drive when Thunderbolt 3 is already here. Is there any sort of dock that allows for futureproofing?

I remember having a Seagate that detached at the ends for compatibilty...

japtor

Well theoretically I would use it for backups and for footage for editing. But I guess I could always just have a giant USB3 drive for storage and a smaller more portable Thunderbolt drive for editing.

I'm only worried about expandablility. I don't want to drop all that money on a Thunderbolt 2 drive when Thunderbolt 3 is already here. Is there any sort of dock that allows for futureproofing?

I remember having a Seagate that detached at the ends for compatibilty...
That Seagate was basically just a SATA connector iirc. In line with that, future proofing wise I guess your best bet is eSATA. From there you can hook up whatever adapter. (Course you're adding another possible point of failure at that point...)

I think there's TB arrays that might have eSATA, although USB+eSATA is far more common. Other than eSATA I'd probably go TB3+USB-C, or maybe just USB-C alone if you're using a single platter drive for editing. TB's advantage mostly comes into play when you're dealing with multiple drives, or just a faster SSD.

That Seagate was basically just a SATA connector iirc. In line with that, future proofing wise I guess your best bet is eSATA. From there you can hook up whatever adapter. (Course you're adding another possible point of failure at that point...)

I think there's TB arrays that might have eSATA, although USB+eSATA is far more common. Other than eSATA I'd probably go TB3+USB-C, or maybe just USB-C alone if you're using a single platter drive for editing. TB's advantage mostly comes into play when you're dealing with multiple drives, or just a faster SSD.

Yeah, I think I'm going to just end up going with this for now
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...c30253a11e7adb5324caa8f4dc40INT&skuId=5792400
I mostly need storage and not space and will probably just get a smaller thunderbolt 2 drive to offload projects onto.

Has anyone messed with the new Nvidia drivers? I'm getting a mad itch to retry my Hackintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why is there no logical order to this list and no apparent way to rearrange them?
SBT1acp.png
k2bsT1I.png
This is two different computers. Neither of them are in any sort of logical order.

So annoying.

Husker86

If I were to guess, it's trying to anticipate what you'd most likely want (because software always does a great job at doing that...).

So I've seen Imacs on my campus that when started up ask the user whether they want to use Windows or OSX. I have to hold option while I boot to switch OS. How do I go about setting it up so on boot it asks me which OS I want to use every time?

Picked up two Usb-C (TB3) to HDMI cables and got a nice deal on the magnetic USB-C charger cable with Google Express. But man. The computer was already expensive enough. All these adapters and cables hurt...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If I were to guess, it's trying to anticipate what you'd most likely want (because software always does a great job at doing that...).
Nope. They never move. And the ones I didn't manually add (Seriously no way to drag them around or reorder them) were in that order when each machine was setup. There's no logic to it and it's different on every system.

What order are they on yours?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Where are you pulling up those lists? I'll see what order mine are in
Spotlight search in Finder. (Command+F)

You can add or remove them using Other... at the bottom. And if you add more, they get put in random locations in the list. There's no consistency or logic to it. Some random unseen sort parameter that doesn't even make logical sense when you look at the stuff. For instance, I have both "Pixel width" and "pixel height" in my list. Notice how both are completely separated on both computers by completely unrelated options. And it's not even in the order they were added since as I said, new additions get placed randomly in the list.

There is one consistent thing. If you add something in, then remove it, then add it again, it always goes to the same slot. But that slot is different on all machines.

For fucks sakes, Apple! It's been like this since Spotlight came out. As a programmer, you'd literally have to program it to randomly assign locations, when the system is set up, then cache that list somewhere for later reference. Why would you program it that way? Either make it alphabetic, let us rearrange it ourselves or organize it by category. (Video/Audio related stuff vs. normal file attributes vs. other kinds of things. Note there's a LOT of stuff in that list it's hard to even find what you need. At least that list can be sorted alphabetically. But then you have all the stuff you'll never use.

I did take a look. But I honestly just don't like what I was seeing that much and the limited feature set like most hubs having only 4k@30hz passthrough.

I decided to just grab two $20 cables that require no adapter instead. As for the magnetic charging cable they don't carry anything like that.

The adapter optioms for the new Mac pro are just a shit show right now and embarrassing for Apple. They should have provided a clean adapter with the pro like the Hyperdrive that was kick-started.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I went into a local Mac repair shop the other day to inquire about fixing my MacBook Pro which as you know has a broken keyboard, hard to use trackpad and possibly a swelling battery that may or may not be causing the problem. The guy said they charge $85 just to look at it. And while he couldn't give a real price, he said it could possibly just cost $450. Which would be fine. (The $85 would be part of that if I decide to do the repair.) But since I don't know for real, I have to decide whether I want to potentially waste $85 or just keep it going as is for the next year or two. Who knows, it might cost more than $450. I'd just hate to throw away $85, but at least I'd know what is wrong.

Deku Tree

I went into a local Mac repair shop the other day to inquire about fixing my MacBook Pro which as you know has a broken keyboard, hard to use trackpad and possibly a swelling battery that may or may not be causing the problem. The guy said they charge $85 just to look at it. And while he couldn't give a real price, he said it could possibly just cost $450. Which would be fine. (The $85 would be part of that if I decide to do the repair.) But since I don't know for real, I have to decide whether I want to potentially waste $85 or just keep it going as is for the next year or two. Who knows, it might cost more than $450. I'd just hate to throw away $85, but at least I'd know what is wrong.

Apple used to look at your computer for free if you want to go that way. Not sure if they still do.

You could bring it in to a Genus bar, they look at it and possibly mail it someplace. They contact you with a price. And you agree or don't but no cost to you if you don't agree to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple used to look at your computer for free if you want to go that way. Not sure if they still do.

You could bring it in to a Genus bar, they look at it and possibly mail it someplace. They contact you with a price. And you agree or don't but no cost to you if you don't agree to it.
The guy at the store said Apple charges $90. But he could have just been trying to keep me from going to an official store.

Also I'd rather not lose it for a long time. Thing is knowing it might take a few days is enough to not possibly even bother and save that $450 towards a new machine in a year.

I don't really know really.

Mistah

Ok just fyi.

Genius bar is free for diagnostics and to view what might all be damaged.

If you're battery is swollen then all the parts that where affected by the battery are free of charge. you only need to pay for the battery.

Deku Tree

Yeah that's the other thing. If you go to Apple there is a reasonable chance that part of your repair will end up free.

But yeah there is also a chance that you will lose access to your computer for a week or maybe even a little longer.

Mistah

Yeah that's the other thing. If you go to Apple there is a reasonable chance that part of your repair will end up free.

But yeah there is also a chance that you will lose access to your computer for a week or maybe even a little longer.

Should be 3/5 Days normally..

Vashetti

Banned
My 2015 13" MBP's magsafe cable is fraying on the end (surprise surprise).

I've treated it delicately and haven't neglected it in any way, yet it's still happened.

If I take it to an Apple store and explain, are they likely to replace it for free? I don't have Applecare and the 1-year warranty has expired.

jts

...hate me...
My 2015 13" MBP's magsafe cable is fraying on the end (surprise surprise).

I've treated it delicately and haven't neglected it in any way, yet it's still happened.

If I take it to an Apple store and explain, are they likely to replace it for free? I don't have Applecare and the 1-year warranty has expired.
You can definitely try.

If it fails I recommend some white (or other colour) Sugru to salvage it.

My 2014 MBP cable has been surprisingly resilient.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok just fyi.

Genius bar is free for diagnostics and to view what might all be damaged.

If you're battery is swollen then all the parts that where affected by the battery are free of charge. you only need to pay for the battery.

Then I'll definitely try that. I just wish the Apple Stores closest to me weren't all an hour away in different directions.

I assume I'll have to make an appointment on the website, right?

If I can get it looked at for free and get a good price, I will suffer with just my iMac and iPhone 7+ for a little bit. I already set my limit on what I'll spend.

Would they be able to assess the damage while I'm there and wait? Or will it need to still be held onto for a few days just to look at it? If they can check it out and give me the cost and estimated return time while I wait I'd be much more inclined to bother.

The guy at the store said Apple charges $90. But he could have just been trying to keep me from going to an official store.

Also I'd rather not lose it for a long time. Thing is knowing it might take a few days is enough to not possibly even bother and save that $450 towards a new machine in a year.

I don't really know really.

Apple doesn't charge to look at it, that's absurd

Then I'll definitely try that. I just wish the Apple Stores closest to me weren't all an hour away in different directions.

I assume I'll have to make an appointment on the website, right?

If I can get it looked at for free and get a good price, I will suffer with just my iMac and iPhone 7+ for a little bit. I already set my limit on what I'll spend.

Would they be able to assess the damage while I'm there and wait? Or will it need to still be held onto for a few days just to look at it? If they can check it out and give me the cost and estimated return time while I wait I'd be much more inclined to bother.

Didn't see this post, that's what I get for jumping the gun and replying to an old one. Yes I would highly recommend making an appointment ahead of time. The walk-in appointments can take all day depending on traffic.

You'll get a quote before the appointment is done and you can decide to move forward from there.

japtor

Do they still do depot repairs? Basically they offer to send it off and fix whatever for a flat rate, like $350ish for MBPs or something.

Do they still do depot repairs? Basically they offer to send it off and fix whatever for a flat rate, like $350ish for MBPs or something.

Yes but the price has gone up. It's around $450 for 13" and north of that for a 15". I think like $550. Obviously assuming no accidental damage

EmiPrime

Apple replaced my iMac screen the same day I brought it in. I was lucky that they had no other repairs to do but still, the 3-5 days that I was quoted originally wasn't bad either. Lugging an iMac all the way to an Apple Store wasn't fun but I am glad I did it.

Just do it Abed!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 2011 11" MacBook Air is still fine for my uses but it is looking like it needs to be replaced soon. Seems like MacOS is going to obsolete it and no longer give it updates soon. Sad. I want the small MacBook but it seems like the current model is still not yet ripe for purchase. I certainly do not want any other model as portability is high on my priorities. I wonder what its next update could be. Any thoughts on future performance? Is the M processor line supposed to progress a lot? It definitely could use another USBC port.

Can't complain about 5+ years with my MBA. I'm super happy with it.

My 2011 11" MacBook Air is still fine for my uses but it is looking like it needs to be replaced soon. Seems like MacOS is going to obsolete it and no longer give it updates soon. Sad. I want the small MacBook but it seems like the current model is still not yet ripe for purchase. I certainly do not want any other model as portability is high on my priorities. I wonder what its next update could be. Any thoughts on future performance? Is the M processor line supposed to progress a lot? It definitely could use another USBC port.

It hasn't gotten an update this year yet, so see what that brings and if it strikes your fancy. It'll definitely have a speed boost as part of the package, and if apple is smart, one more USB-C port and a price drop

I'm pretty sure the M processors are one of the few Intel processors that are getting shrunk to 10nm this year. I don't remember if it's supposed to be paired with an actual new architecture as well, now that tick-tock has been thrown to the wind.

At 10nm, however, even as a shrink of Skylake/Kaby Lake, the M series should be ready for primetime. Better energy efficiency, higher clock speed, less throttling. Not to mention dedicated hardware for tasks like UHD video playback.

My 2011 11" MacBook Air is still fine for my uses but it is looking like it needs to be replaced soon. Seems like MacOS is going to obsolete it and no longer give it updates soon.

If your Air is on Sierra, it should at least get security updates for another year or two after the OS comes out, so no rush unless you gotta have the latest greatest OS.

Did Apple announce that the 2011 MBA will not be supported by the next OS Update?

As far as I'm aware they haven't announced anything for compatibility. Though I wouldn't be surprised, generally five years after manufacturing on a model ends it becomes "vintage" in Apple's repair systems in most of the world, and is no longer supported.

Top Bottom