• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I just found out I'm getting a hefty tax return this year. I can finally get my laptop fixed and replace my phone.

My dad said "You're not going to get a new machine?" I told him I still want to get another 2 years out of this if I can. Unless it's going to cost more than a new machine anyway. Hopefully it won't cost too much. But it does need a new keyboard and new trackpad at the very least. If it does cost too much I'll look into alternative sources for fixing it.

You know, I still haven't even gone to a store and tried out the new force touch trackpads. I'm so afraid I won't like them. Hopefully I will though. I mean if it comes down to me having to replace the computer then I'd like to be prepared.

We have somewhat different design sensibilities you and I, but I truly love the new trackpads. I'll often forget to that it doesn't even move, that's it's just tricking my brain into thinking it's moving. It's really convincing if you ask me

But I also like the new MBP keyboards that have been divisive. Like I like them a LOT

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
We have somewhat different design sensibilities you and I, but I truly love the new trackpads. I'll often forget to that it doesn't even move, that's it's just tricking my brain into thinking it's moving. It's really convincing if you ask me

But I also like the new MBP keyboards that have been divisive. Like I like them a LOT
I haven't even tried the new keyboard either. Though I know a lot of people don't even like the older Apple chicklet keyboards and have hard-ons for their special regular PC keyboards with the clunky keys. Me, I'm a fan of these thinner keyboards. I will probably like the new keyboards either way. A coworker says her sister has one of the new trackpads in her laptop and likes it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why'd you wait so long? You can still hide it from your purchases like anything else if it's no longer working.

I just noticed how annoying it is only because it is the default album that my phone goes to in our car when I hook up my phone. I use Spotify or Podcast to listen to things.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
So, I want to replace my aged Macbook Pro from 2009. It still works but I kind of need some more extra power.

I am still looking at buying a Macbook Pro 15" but I do not know if I should,

A) Buy an older model and save money for later
B) Buy the newest one

Is there going to be a better performance Pro model coming this year?
Are there any manufacturing issues with the newest models? Sometimes newer models need a few months to be fixed and working well.
Can I still buy the older models new from Apple or other stores?

Is there going to be a better performance Pro model coming this year? Very probably within this calendar year, yes
Are there any manufacturing issues with the newest models? Sometimes newer models need a few months to be fixed and working well. Nothing major that I am aware of
Can I still buy the older models new from Apple or other stores?Yes, Apple still produces the 2015 models, both new and in their refurbished store

dofry

Thank you very much.

If it is likely, I can still wait for a newer model to arrive.
This little machine still has some spark in it.

VPhys

Damn, was contemplating giving up my non Touch 2016 mbp and going over to windows. The main reasons I switched over to mac were touch to talk, retina displays, and superior keyboard. Then later I fell in love with the OS. Touch to talk I just don't use much anymore, it seems to be slower in the latest mbps. Double tap fn and it takes like 4 seconds to activate. It used to be almost instant like siri. The keyboard, while I don't mind it on the new models (though clearly inferior), PC laptop keyboards have caught up. Also, I was really upset that the fingerprint scanner was not on the ntb model and I wasn't about to fork over another $300 for it.

So I figured what the heck I can flip the mac and get an equivalent PC and either break even or come out ahead. Not so fast.

To get a 8gb 256GB pc I am looking at a minimum of $1300 it seems. And on top of that most of these PCs are "fullHD", I'm not interested in going back to seeing pixels.

Then there are PCs with fingerprint scanners that are cheaper than Apple's introductory model, but they end up compromising on or more of the things I mentioned above.

In the end there is no real alternative that is the best of both worlds.

Damn, was contemplating giving up my non Touch 2016 mbp and going over to windows. The main reasons I switched over to mac were touch to talk, retina displays, and superior keyboard. Then later I fell in love with the OS. Touch to talk I just don't use much anymore, it seems to be slower in the latest mbps. Double tap fn and it takes like 4 seconds to activate. It used to be almost instant like siri. The keyboard, while I don't mind it on the new models (though clearly inferior), PC laptop keyboards have caught up. Also, I was really upset that the fingerprint scanner was not on the ntb model and I wasn't about to fork over another $300 for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "touch to talk", are you talking about the Dictation feature? If so, have you gone into Preferences->Dictation and turned on "Enhanced Dictation"? It allows offline usage -- the pause you're noticing may be a network request.

As an owner of the 15" Touch Bar, the fingerprint scanner is a nice convenience, but it's just that. Since I have an Apple Watch, that opens my MBP anyway, so it's pretty rare that I actually use the Touch ID. Once Apple Pay becomes more widely available online this will probably change.

VPhys

I'm not sure what you mean by "touch to talk", are you talking about the Dictation feature? If so, have you gone into Preferences->Dictation and turned on "Enhanced Dictation"? It allows offline usage -- the pause you're noticing may be a network request.

As an owner of the 15" Touch Bar, the fingerprint scanner is a nice convenience, but it's just that. Since I have an Apple Watch, that opens my MBP anyway, so it's pretty rare that I actually use the Touch ID. Once Apple Pay becomes more widely available online this will probably change.

Yes dictation was what I was referring to. Just checked and enhanced is already check marked. Not sure why it takes so long.

Yes dictation was what I was referring to. Just checked and enhanced is already check marked. Not sure why it takes so long.

I have offline dictation enabled and it takes a couple seconds to enable for myself as well. I don't know why

dofry

Wait a minute. Today I was checking the GPU speeds of Macbook Pros and it seems the 2012 model is the same speed as the new ones (2015 and 2016). Is this true? What is the point in getting a new model if the GPU speed is lagging so far behind?

Fuchsdh

Wait a minute. Today I was checking the GPU speeds of Macbook Pros and it seems the 2012 model is the same speed as the new ones (2015 and 2016). Is this true? What is the point in getting a new model if the GPU speed is lagging so far behind?

Clock speeds don't really matter any more. A GPU in a current MBP is going to blow away the speeds of a 2012 model.

Clock speeds don't really matter any more. A GPU in a current MBP is going to blow away the speeds of a 2012 model.

This. It's about architecture, not clockspeed. Clockspeed helps, but at a certain point just introduces too much heat, particularly for a notebook. Most CPU/GPU gains now are about efficiency, perf-per-watt, etc.

I see a Brand New MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar Base Model for $1,500 on Craigslist.

It also comes with Brand New USBC to USB adapter, Magic Keyboard, USB Superdrive, Office 2016 Home Business for Mac, and Espon Workforce 2750 Printer.

Is this worth it? What should I look out for? What's the market price for MacBook 15 Touch Bar nowadays?

Deku Tree

That feel when your new 13" MBP w TB is sitting in the IT guy's office and he needs to image it before he can give it to you but he called in sick today so you have to wait ...

Fuchsdh

I see a Brand New MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar Base Model for $1,500 on Craigslist.

It also comes with Brand New USBC to USB adapter, Magic Keyboard, USB Superdrive, Office 2016 Home Business for Mac, and Espon Workforce 2750 Printer.

Is this worth it? What should I look out for? What's the market price for MacBook 15 Touch Bar nowadays?

Make sure you power it on and check it over when you go to purchase it. The usual recommendations off buying things from Craigslist apply to.

japtor

If a new Mac mini gets released, will it have a mobile quad-core processor or a low power desktop quad-core processor?
If you go by history it'll be a mobile quad...if it gets a quad at all. They could change it up a bit to allow hotter chips but who knows. Course Intel's roadmap seems to indicate quads replacing duals and hex replacing quad but I think that's another generation or two away.

Incredibly unlikely neat variant would be to bring back a server SKU with Xeon-D.

dofry

This. It's about architecture, not clockspeed. Clockspeed helps, but at a certain point just introduces too much heat, particularly for a notebook. Most CPU/GPU gains now are about efficiency, perf-per-watt, etc.

Thanks. Well, I am not sure what to do anymore. I know that Macs are cheaper in Japan compared to Finland e.g. 3800€ (WTF!) for the Finnish model is 2800€ here in JPN land. But, that is an insane amount of money. I am considering Dell XPS too but that is about 2000€. Has a 1050 GPU though. But I just can't handle Windows anymore. Decisions, decisions.

Deku Tree

The Mac Mini only got a dual core last update most likely because the quad core chips required a different socket and apple wasn't going to do a whole separate board design just for a quad core chip.

Deku Tree

The touch bar is fun but it feels like a gimmick. Most Third party developers are never going to write extra code to integrate it into their software IMO.

Apple should write a tool that allows you to map your own shortcut buttons to the touch bar...

Touch ID is cool but why don't they let me use it to log in to my account after a restart? That's exactly when i want to use it...

The new keyboard on the MPB feels really nice. Not sure if I'll want to go back to the older keyboard...

The touch bar is fun but it feels like a gimmick. Most Third party developers are never going to write extra code to integrate it into their software IMO.

Most of the third-party software I use already has at least partial Touch bar support.

But yeah, I think most people agree the Touch Bar was kind of a swing and a miss. The potential is there, but shouldn't have released in its current form. Needs haptic feedback and keys that only react with pressure -- I'm constantly triggering keys as my fingers brush against it, and it just feels weird right next to real keys.

The best part of Touch Bar is the Fingerprint. I love the fingerprint feature. Saves so much time over typing in your password.

I also like changing brightness and volume. That's about it.

I've heard the Mac mini is going to be "not so mini" now.
]

Huh? There's absolutely nothing from Apple's comments in that panel to indicate that the mini is going to be anything than what it is unless you live in a rich fantasy world in which the next mini is going to be the coveted xMac.

... just like everyone has been salivating for for the past 5 years.

mrkgoo

Yeah but it makes sense on iOS because you never turn those devices off. It doesn't make sense on a Mac Laptop because you do turn those off frequently.
It make sure sense just for security purposes to require your main security lock upon restart on all devices.

Also, it probably needs to initiate all the Touch ID stuff and can't do so with out unlocking the computer in the first place.

Huh? There's absolutely nothing from Apple's comments in that panel to indicate that the mini is going to be anything than what it is unless you live in a rich fantasy world in which the next mini is going to be the coveted xMac.

I would even be happy with the pro iMac being rumored even if their plan is to kill the mini. I love Apple (not everything they do) and as long as they have a good future for the Mac in their plans, that's all that matters.

Fuchsdh

People have been holding a torch for the xMac since before the Mac mini was a product. Stop trying to make the xMac happen, people, it's been more than a decade. It's never going to happen.

Deku Tree

Would anyone buy a touch bar Magic wireless keyboard over a regular Apple wireless Magic keyboard?

Could Apple sell an external touchbar keyboard for $200 and make a profit?

So my late 2008/early 2009 MBP finally died on me this week. Currently shopping for a new one and I'm looking at the refurbished ones. Precisely the Touchbar 15" MBP 2.7ghz, Radeon 460 with 1TB SSD.

Haven't looked into the thread yet, but what is the best multi-port adapter you guys would recommend? I keep hearing about the Satechi one, but saw someone who had it fail on them. Only looking for the most basic ports like USB and SD cards.

So my late 2008/early 2009 MBP finally died on me this week. Currently shopping for a new one and I'm looking at the refurbished ones. Precisely the Touchbar 15" MBP 2.7ghz, Radeon 460 with 1TB SSD.

Haven't looked into the thread yet, but what is the best multi-port adapter you guys would recommend? I keep hearing about the Santachi one, but saw someone who had it fail on them. Only looking for the most basic ports like USB and SD cards.

I have a very similar config. Most of the multi-port adapters docks are pretty shoddy and not made for the new Macs; either they don't pass through enough power to charge the MBP, or don't have full TB3 throughput, or have other issues. I've been waiting for the TB3 Belkin dock, but unfortunately it's still not out. You might be interested in the OWC dock coming out soon, which has a SD slot.

Honestly I've just been using cables for my needs right now, which has worked fine other than being a lot of cables. But my use cases don't often have me plugging 4+ things at the same time.

Deku Tree

Haven't looked into the thread yet, but what is the best multi-port adapter you guys would recommend? I keep hearing about the Santachi one, but saw someone who had it fail on them. Only looking for the most basic ports like USB and SD cards.

Yeah a lot of third party adaptors depending on the manufacturer may be shoddy.

This one from Apple will be good: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

I have the VGA one instead of the one with HDMI but otherwise they are the same. It was on sale for $49 a few weeks ago.

You may be able to plug your old USB card readers into that USB 3 slot on that adaptor.

Also Monoprice.com usually makes good stuff and they back it with a good warranty. And they have all sorts of adaptors for reasonable prices.

If you have HDDs that have a Micro USB input then you can just buy a cable like this (if you don't want to go through the adaptor) to use with your existing drives: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N36MO5U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know about that brand but there are other cables like that too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Would anyone buy a touch bar Magic wireless keyboard over a regular Apple wireless Magic keyboard?

Could Apple sell an external touchbar keyboard for $200 and make a profit?
Would it even be feasible with how often you'd have to plug it in and charge it? And I assure you, the 15 seconds it takes now to charge it for hours won't apply anymore once you add in a touch screen.

I could see a companion iPhone/iPad app that works the same way instead though.

Deku Tree

Would it even be feasible with how often you'd have to plug it in and charge it? And I assure you, the 15 seconds it takes now to charge it for hours won't apply anymore once you add in a touch screen.

I could see a companion iPhone/iPad app that works the same way instead though.

Well I don't really know how much energy the touch bar uses... But I think there is evidence that it is not such an extreme energy hog as that... consider that my MBP 13" with TB has a 5-watt-hour smaller battery than the non-TB version and both laptops have the same advertised 10h battery life, as other Mac Laptops.

It would certainly need a larger battery than in the current Magic Keyboard, an additional low power ARM chip for the touch ID and running the TB, and you probably wouldn't get a one month charge in 15 seconds.

But I doubt it would be some impossibly horrible situation. I'm sure that you could get a reasonable charge pretty quickly.

I have a very similar config. Most of the multi-port adapters docks are pretty shoddy and not made for the new Macs; either they don't pass through enough power to charge the MBP, or don't have full TB3 throughput, or have other issues. I've been waiting for the TB3 Belkin dock, but unfortunately it's still not out. You might be interested in the OWC dock coming out soon, which has a SD slot.

Honestly I've just been using cables for my needs right now, which has worked fine other than being a lot of cables. But my use cases don't often have me plugging 4+ things at the same time.

The Belkin dock looks like something I'll get eventually. I'll need that FireWire port to transfer some footage of my old HDV cam.

Yeah a lot of third party adaptors depending on the manufacturer may be shoddy.

This one from Apple will be good: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

I have the VGA one instead of the one with HDMI but otherwise they are the same. It was on sale for $49 a few weeks ago.

You may be able to plug your old USB card readers into that USB 3 slot on that adaptor.

Also Monoprice.com usually makes good stuff and they back it with a good warranty. And they have all sorts of adaptors for reasonable prices.

If you have HDDs that have a Micro USB input then you can just buy a cable like this (if you don't want to go through the adaptor) to use with your existing drives: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N36MO5U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know about that brand but there are other cables like that too.

Haven't thought or wasn't aware of the Micro -> USB-C cable. That'll do the trick for my WD HDD, thanks.

I was eyeing this hub by Anker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XU6PM68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7jO8ybN1JGGHE

But I think I'm gonna pass and pay up for the Apple one after reading those Amazon reviews.

Accidentally trying to put the Lightning end of a Lightning-to-USB-C cable into a USB-C port is the new "which way does the USB cable go". I do this pretty much every day. Apple really should've put icons on the ends or something.

This is ultimately just an annoyance, but it feels like part of a larger design failure lately at Apple. It seems like there's been some shift towards form trumping function and ends up in bad user experiences like this.

japtor

Accidentally trying to put the Lightning end of a Lightning-to-USB-C cable into a USB-C port is the new "which way does the USB cable go". I do this pretty much every day. Apple really should've put icons on the ends or something.

This is ultimately just an annoyance, but it feels like part of a larger design failure lately at Apple. It seems like there's been some shift towards form trumping function and ends up in bad user experiences like this.
Would icons help that much? Might as well just look at the connectors at that point, Lightning has the white end with exposed gold contacts while USB-C is just the outer metal of its connector.

(...course it'd be nice if everything was USB-C, if only it didn't take so damn long to come about)

Deku Tree

Well I like the touch bar a lot more than I did the first day I got my MBP. Yes it can use improvement. But I rarely if ever touch it accidentally.

It's amazing to start a new app and have context sensitive buttons pop up that are much better than the normal function keys. Fast forwarding a YouTube video with a slider is perfect, so is changing the volume. Switching to a different month in calendar using the TB is the way it should be. Etc.

Wonder if and when will see full touch keyboards where all buttons are programmable and app sensitive?

Top Bottom