• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biker19

Banned
If casuals will have that perception, they'll still have it if its announced two months later as opposed to now.

Just saying that it's a pipe dream that people will all of a sudden buy a ton of Xbox One's just because Microsoft did better in one month after going through a lot of desperation tactics just to achieve that.

I-hate-u

I predict XB1 will 'win' this month's NPD.

Judging how close the XB1 was to the PS4 last month, the logical assumption is that a price-cut plus MS's biggest title this year will put it ahead of Sony's platform.

Did TitanFall really set the world on fire the way MS hoped it be? I didn't play the game, but its seems that there is a sense of disappointment around the game in general.

Its different than other hype launches where it seems everyone (youtube/twitch) are playing.

Game Guru

These. What Microsoft did was out of desperation.

If Microsoft had confidence & if Xbox One was doing so well, they wouldn't have had all of these price cuts & wouldn't have to bundle their biggest title that they made "exclusive" for their console, nor would they even have to delay the Xbox 360 version of the game in an effort to get more sales for X1.

I think that Xbox One needs to win March NPD more than PS4 does. If Xbox One cannot beat the PS4 by bundling Titanfall and putting the system on sale in the territory it does the best in, then this console war was over before it even began. That scenario would indicate that there is an issue beyond price that the Xbox One has which the PS4 doesn't, and I don't think it is Kinect or Titanfall, which are solvable issues for Xbox One.

I believe that it is residual backlash due to the DRM restricting used games. While I understand that GAF hates GameStop, as they should, and that GameStop was going be one of the approved resellers of Xbox One games pre-180, there are nearly eight million people in the US who are loyal GameStop customers. We know this because there are nearly eight million people with a Game Informer subscription which comes free with GameStop's Powerup Pro loyalty program. When those nearly 8 million people heard that Xbox One was going to restrict used games sales, they pretty much said "screw that" and became Sony supporters, and won't go back because they lost all trust that Microsoft won't restrict used games later.

I also think the publishers may have misinterpreted how much appeal online-only games have to the US fanbase for consoles, which could also explain Xbox One's relative failure compared to the PS4 in the US. The only previous examples we have of online-only games on consoles are MMORPGs, which have generally done better on PC. I think that console gamers actually do value single player and local multiplayer over online multiplayer, even though they do not reject online multiplayer outright. To them, I think they see online multiplayer as an extra available if they purchase the subscription to Xbox Live Gold/PS+, not as an integral part of a video game. Because Xbox One pre-DRM was touted as requiring online, I think they again said "screw that" and became Sony supporters, and won't go back because they lost all trust that Microsoft won't force online later.

Yoday

Did TitanFall really set the world on fire the way MS hoped it be? I didn't play the game, but its seems that there is a sense of disappointment around the game in general.

Its different than other hype launches where it seems everyone (youtube/twitch) are playing.
Yeah, excitement seems to have fallen off a cliff. It could absolutely take off again when the 360 version launches, but that really doesn't do much for MS's position.

March NPD's are going to be very interesting indeed, and I think people might be overestimating the XBone's performance. When retailers are cutting the price by $50 without an official price cut outside of the holidays, then you know things didn't move like expected. I get the feeling that most of the people that wanted to play Titanfall got an XB1 before March, and there really isn't much of a reason to get an XBO over a PS4 if you aren't interested in getting Titanfall for the Xbox One. It's possible that all of the sales boosted numbers a lot, but I'm not convinced to be honest.

Not to mention, this is the first month where the PS4 has had decent stock in stores and online, so Sony could still very well come out on top this month.

samar11

I think a lot of people here are forgetting how powerful the PlayStation brand is. Microsoft got lucky because of all the fuck ups Sony did last gen.

Arya Stark

Neo Member
I think a lot of people here are forgetting how powerful the PlayStation brand is. Microsoft got lucky because of all the fuck ups Sony did last gen.

And Sony is getting lucky with all of the Microsoft/Nintendo fuckups this gen. They've got hardly any exclusives out right now and not much lined up for the rest of the year, yet they are still selling a shitton because Microsoft and Nintendo fucked their hardware up beyond belief.

Man

He has most likely just manipulated the DOM tree (using Chrome or most webbrowsers) so most likely fake. That site has been up since last summer.

Biker19

Banned
And Sony is getting lucky with all of the Microsoft/Nintendo fuckups this gen. They've got hardly any exclusives out right now and not much lined up for the rest of the year, yet they are still selling a shitton because Microsoft and Nintendo fucked their hardware up beyond belief.

The point that Samar11 is making, is that Sony was far more popular in the console business longer than either Nintendo or Microsoft had ever been before PS3, Wii, & Xbox 360 came about.

Microsoft & Nintendo are the ones who were lucky with the Wii & with the Xbox 360, & even then, PS3 had still caught up to Xbox 360 in total worldwide sales & have even surpassed them, despite the 360 having a 18+ million lead over PS3 in the U.S.

Yoda

I think that Xbox One needs to win March NPD more than PS4 does. If Xbox One cannot beat the PS4 by bundling Titanfall and putting the system on sale in the territory it does the best in, then this console war was over before it even began. That scenario would indicate that there is an issue beyond price that the Xbox One has which the PS4 doesn't, and I don't think it is Kinect or Titanfall, which are solvable issues for Xbox One.

I believe that it is residual backlash due to the DRM restricting used games. While I understand that GAF hates GameStop, as they should, and that GameStop was going be one of the approved resellers of Xbox One games pre-180, there are nearly eight million people in the US who are loyal GameStop customers. We know this because there are nearly eight million people with a Game Informer subscription which comes free with GameStop's Powerup Pro loyalty program. When those nearly 8 million people heard that Xbox One was going to restrict used games sales, they pretty much said "screw that" and became Sony supporters, and won't go back because they lost all trust that Microsoft won't restrict used games later.

I also think the publishers may have misinterpreted how much appeal online-only games have to the US fanbase for consoles, which could also explain Xbox One's relative failure compared to the PS4 in the US. The only previous examples we have of online-only games on consoles are MMORPGs, which have generally done better on PC. I think that console gamers actually do value single player and local multiplayer over online multiplayer, even though they do not reject online multiplayer outright. To them, I think they see online multiplayer as an extra available if they purchase the subscription to Xbox Live Gold/PS+, not as an integral part of a video game. Because Xbox One pre-DRM was touted as requiring online, I think they again said "screw that" and became Sony supporters, and won't go back because they lost all trust that Microsoft won't force online later.

With their 'killer app' being bundled in this was true, its not even more true because of the stealth price-cut. If they can't beat the PS4 on their home-turf so to speak given how hard they pushed the console that would be beyond damning. They won't have any of the same incentives in future months for a sales spike. Obviously one month of sales by itself doesn't mean anything, but given the context of X1's launch it would be indicative that the damage their anti-consumer policies might leech their sales for the entire generation.

I still think X1 has march in the bag (for NPD at least not WW). They caught up pretty nicely last month and the only bonus there was tax-refunds (which is a bonus for Sony too). But the double delay for far on X360 Titanfall + no PR about said games sales + potential console boost from the game doesn't induce confidence.

Game Guru

With their 'killer app' being bundled in this was true, its not even more true because of the stealth price-cut. If they can't beat the PS4 on their home-turf so to speak given how hard they pushed the console that would be beyond damning. They won't have any of the same incentives in future months for a sales spike. Obviously one month of sales by itself doesn't mean anything, but given the context of X1's launch it would be indicative that the damage their anti-consumer policies might leech their sales for the entire generation.

I still think X1 has march in the bag (for NPD at least not WW). They caught up pretty nicely last month and the only bonus there was tax-refunds (which is a bonus for Sony too). But the double delay for far on X360 Titanfall + no PR about said games sales + potential console boost from the game doesn't induce confidence.

Indeed, I actually think XB1 will win March NPD, but I suspect the win will be far too close for comfort as far as Microsoft is concerned like say 10,000 or so more than PS4. They should be boasting about Titanfall's success in moving XB1s and they aren't, which is definitely not a good sign for sales of either Titanfall or its success in pushing XB1s this month.

samar11

You are forgetting that ps3 launched 1 year late in the market, with a massive price tag ($1000) in Australia, the whole psn hacking, and the list goes on. They still managed to beat xbox360 in sales WW.

vooglie

The PS4 is very well designed for its price, regardless of MS or Nintendo's offerings. Saying Sony got lucky because the competition fucked up re: hardware is a big disservice to their engineers.

Abdiel

What was the PS4's YTD lead? I think March could tip it over to the Xbone.

In the US? 220k or so, I believe. Worldwide? 1+ Million. You mean year to date, right?

Either way, both of these gaps are a silly to assume they would absorb. Because they were neck and neck last month, and the PS4 still outsold the X1, with almost no stock to be found, and this month, Sony has filled the shelves. We're getting shipments of 50 to 60, to almost every store, and they still sell fast.

X1s are selling around the same pace as last month, as far as Best Buy goes, some sell more per week, others sell none at all. It's good to see it moving the TF bundles, because after the first week, they were sluggish as hell, then with the Wal-Mart price matching, they did start to sell, and clear out more, actually get some replenishment.

Melchiah

It's beyond me why people overlook all the console-exclusive indies and FTPs. I'd wager, that offering a bunch of free games at launch increases the perceived value of the system.

Exclusives aren't the be all and end all like people keep saying. Sure, they persuade a good number of people (like PS3s have been selling just for TLoU), but there are also plenty who don't care about exclusives and only bought a new console to play multiplats.

It's not like MS have loads of really great exclusives coming out this year either anyway.

gtj1092

Platform: Jan Results -> Feb Results | Percentage Change MOM

PS4: 271K -> ~269K | [-.7%]
XB1: 141K -> 258K | [+83%]
3DS: ~97K -> ~151K - 156K | [+56% - +61%]
PS3: ~53.5K -> ~103K | [+92.5%]
Wii U: 49K -> 82.5K | [+68%]
360: ~48.5K -> 114K | [+135%]
Vita: <17K -> ~24K | [+41%]

It's funny people keep hanging on to this Feburary was close theory when you look at these percentage increases. Every single console rose in sales to include the lowly Vita. For anyone to look at this and conclude the XB1 and Ps4 would of been close in sales no matter the supply situation they would have to believe Ps4 demand imploded and it had no supply problems. Even if you assume that the Ps4 would of had the lowest increase there 41% that would of put it sales at 382K in Feburary.

Edit: data provided by swiftdeath :)

beast786

It's funny people keep hanging on to this Feburary was close theory when you look at these percentage increases. Every single console rose in sales to include the lowly Vita. For anyone to look at this and conclude the XB1 and Ps4 would of been close in sales no matter the supply situation they would have to believe Ps4 demand imploded and it had no supply problems. Even if you assume that the Ps4 would of had the lowest increase there 41% that would of put it sales at 382K in Feburary.

very interesting

Lemondish

I don't think February should be used to predict March numbers. I don't know if we can use any previous month to do so for Sony simply because of their ongoing supply constraints. In February, they were hit by production delays due to the new year celebrations in China. In addition, they were launching in a new major territory. A large portion of January stock was air lifted to meet ravenous demand in December, yet despite that still won against a channel-stuffed Xbone.

Since they still have not met that demand, and these issues will have no impact on MS, March could be the first month this year where a real head-to-head occurs. Add in the fact that the PS4 has a major killer app this month too, and the sales could be much closer to each other than we're expecting. Sony's supply isn't being impacted by any major event, both systems have huge games releasing that cater directly to their primary userbase (MS with a robust multiplayer shooter, and Sony with a single player narrative driven experience), and MS has shown that they are not happy with the Xbone's performance. Considered together, and it doesn't seem so guaranteed MS wins March.

BigDug13

There's a value here beyond the $400 vs $500 price points. If all you had was $400 for a PS4 or $500 for an XBO and didn't have one dollar more for either one in separate situations, so no extra money for even the online subscription, with the PS4 you would be able to play 3 games now, a massively multiplayer FPS soon, a WWII airplane shooter soon (or now if you make an EU account), and other F2P games soon, some permanent exclusive like Everquest. You'd also be able to watch Netflix, use the Internet browser, whatever. You would be able to do none of that and have access to none of those games on XBO for the additional $100 price.

FeiRR

Banned
Meanwhile in Poland: supply still over demand. And that's actually the first Xbox One I've seen in person. Prices translate to approx. $670 and $850, respectively.
56igSy8.jpg

Majmun

I think most people know that the Ps4 would totally dominate the XO if it didn´t have any suppy issues....

BigDug13

Meanwhile in Poland: supply still over demand. And that's actually the first Xbox One I've seen in person. Prices translate to approx. $670 and $850, respectively.

I'd have less demand at those prices, too.

At those prices and with the quality level of PS+ releases on PS3, I don't think I would be moving on to this gen just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom