• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
So incompetent they are selling every console they ship, and their most notable first party title had a 33% attach rate.
Sony got the Apple hype, how exactly does SCEA get credit after the system launched? This game should have been bundled 100%. This game being pushed might have added an extra million copies and pull more fans to be a bigger franchise. Watch Dogs, Destiny will be bundled. Sony's own 2 first party teams (1886 and inFamous) should be part of this list.

Sony got the Apple hype, how exactly does SCEA get credit after the system launched? This game should have been bundled 100%. This game being pushed might have added an extra million copies and pull more fans to be a bigger franchise. Watch Dogs, Destiny will be bundled. Sony's own 2 first party teams (1886 and inFamous) should be part of this list.
Plus, the poster you quoted doesn't seem to realize that European bundles played a large part in Killzone's 33% attach rate.

But Sony can get away with forcing you to buy a first party game you might not want in Europe. In the US, on the other hand, they'd never sacrifice part of their price advantage for the sake of a first party title, given how competitive they must be to steal marketshare from Microsoft. A huge third party blockbuster people will be buying a PS4 or an Xbox One for, however, is another matter entirely, as advertised bundles further associate the game with your platform for potential buyers.

It's disappointing that games like Infamous won't get into more people's hands, yes, but it's probably better for the longterm health of the platform.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
7 million ps4 soon...but time for Sony to excite the core again with updates and future releases...

TF will do great numbers I believe, Infamous will be behind it but perhaps not by so much. Would be surprised if ps4 outsells x1 in the us for march. Ms went hard on the deals

After march NPD, if Sony beat MS, they'll talk about it. If they don't beat MS, they'll announce 7m worldwide.

(Or they might hold off for the quarterly results - when do Sony announce? I think MS has year end results towards the end of April)

Sid

7 million ps4 soon...but time for Sony to excite the core again with updates and future releases...

TF will do great numbers I believe, Infamous will be behind it but perhaps not by so much. Would be surprised if ps4 outsells x1 in the us for march. Ms went hard on the deals
The 'core' seems to already be excited with that list of 100 games.....

Yeah it's even showing the $449 price at the Microsoft store. I think that all but verifies it.

The reason they don't want to announce it is that there's a well known consumer association between low quality and early price drops. From what's being shown in this article it looks like Microsoft is actually specifically telling retailers to keep the price cut on the down low. The XBone isn't even being mentioned in a number of companies weekly ad spreads. This is gonna be one interesting March NPD.

This might be a shot in the dark but is it possible Microsoft is only dropping the price temporarily in hopes to boost sales before the end of the quarter? I can't imagine why they would keep a price drop under the radar unless it was only temporary. I saw someone else mention that they don't want the consumers view on the console to devalue but that's a weak argument since anyone interested or looking into buying one will see the price has dropped anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Titanfall sold well. Bank on that.

What I find more surprising is that for 2014 best sellers so far, Xbone only has TWO actual video games in that list for the top 100.

Titanfall at #6.
And Ghosts at #64.

Contrast that to the PS4.

11 games in the top 100.

Even ghosts, an Xbox associated game, is significantly higher on the PS4 list.

Found that interesting.
Just goes to show how not so good of indicator these lists can be since we know that X1 CoD has sold more than PS4 in both Jan & Feb NPD and yet PS4 CoD is higher on amazon for the year and both months. X1 also has the higher "attach rate" so far despite having 9 less games in Amazons Top 100....

DBT85

This might be a shot in the dark but is it possible Microsoft is only dropping the price temporarily in hopes to boost sales before the end of the quarter? I can't imagine why they would keep a price drop under the radar unless it was only temporary. I saw someone else mention that they don't want the consumers view on the console to devalue but that's a weak argument since anyone interested or looking into buying one will see the price has dropped anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this pans out.
If MS don't announce a price drop then seeing it for $449 in stores looks like it's a store price cut so you are getting a bargain, as most won't check elsewhere at that price if they knew it WAS $499. If MS announced a drop, everyone will see it and officially, it's not selling well.

broony

I think amazon UK had over 1000 yesterday. Now they have 97 if I'm not mistaken. That is quick.

**Edit** so I have no idea what numbers I was looking at as they have none in stock.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If MS don't announce a price drop then seeing it for $449 in stores looks like it's a store price cut so you are getting a bargain, as most won't check elsewhere at that price if they knew it WAS $499. If MS announced a drop, everyone will see it and officially, it's not selling well.

Because of how widespread this is, it feels like an MS supported 'unofficial' price drop. It is a good way to test the waters. I think they'll monitor this and see how it affects sales, and then either cement this as an official price cut at E3, or decide they have to go one step further and make it a $100 price cut.

Mikey Jr.

Just goes to show how not so good of indicator these lists can be since we know that X1 CoD has sold more than PS4 in both Jan & Feb NPD and yet PS4 CoD is higher on amazon for the year and both months. X1 also has the higher "attach rate" so far despite having 9 less games in Amazons Top 100....

You sure about those 2?

Where did you find the cod number and the attach number?

You sure you aren't confusing Xbox one with "Xbox*"?

Melchiah

Plus, the poster you quoted doesn't seem to realize that European bundles played a large part in Killzone's 33% attach rate.

I don't know about that, as the bundle came available for pre-order here in Finland few weeks before the launch, and changing your existing pre-order for that would have resulted with a loss of place in the waiting line. I'd wager the attach rate was more due to it being the showpiece game at launch.

flkraven

Doesn't Amazon sell Playstation digital content? Is that included in the top 100 list? If so, wouldn't that make the numbers (for comparison purposes) even more unreliable, since Xbox digital products can only be purchased directly from MS?

Yoday

At the same time the NPD isn't much better, as it doesn't cover digital sales, which are becoming a much larger part of the market. They don't cover Amazon either if memory serves.

Have Sony, Nintendo or MS said anything about how much digital is playing a role in game purchases on the new consoles? I know that Sony said that 48% of all Vita game purchases are digital, but I haven't heard anything about the PS4.

Capella

S¡mon;106103663 said:
Yup. Digital, however, not. I read somewhere that PS4 digital sales were actually above expectations and that Microsoft's console (by %) lags behind.
If true, I wonder if that has to do with the fact that you can buy digital downloads for some PS4 games at online retailers. I know Amazon has had that option for awhile but I noticed that GameStop and BestBuy both give you the option to download Infamous SS. Same thing with Battlefield 4, AC IV, FIFA, Lego Marvel, and bunch of other games for PS4 at Gamestop. There's no option for Xbox One and I haven't seen any other Xbox One games with that option except TitanFall. Though with Titanfall you aren't actually buying the game, it just gives you the currency to buy it.

S¡mon

Banned
I don't think they will announce 6.8m... they will announce when crossed 7 million.

Hard to say. For the last few months, they basically announced new sales data in the first week of the month.

I can see them continuing that trend, but I also can see them waiting until they hit 7 million (or perhaps they already hit 7 million... we did have inFAMOUS, after all).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's so strange, there are hundreds on sale at amazon but I never see any in target or Walmart

Amazon gets thousands at a time to list on one site.

Target/Walmart get thousands at a time to spread across their thousands of stores and online stores.

So with the local ones, it's just luck of whether you look before they've sold the handful they get each shipment or not.

I've seen them at Target and Best Buy twice--on the same day, so they probably both had just got a shipment in.

Costco seems a good place to look. I bought mine there two weeks ago and they had 20 or so. I went back this Wednesday and they still had 7 or 8 left (or newly in). I'd guess left as they don't have a game section and they're kind of hidden away on a corner shelf in the electronic section with no big signs or anything. Just a couple shelves of PS4s and Xbox 1s (many more of the latter).

ethomaz

Banned
they may not announce until 7m, but won't they have to declare end of March numbers in the year end or quarterly figures?
Yeap but I think it will be at early May with PS4 + PS4 figures.

I'm pretty sure they will reach easily the forecast of 15m for PS4 + PS3 in FY2013... just 4.1m to reach that.

Edit - I checked they didn't release the date for the Fiscal Year results yet... I'm sure it will be in early May.

I assume the announcements will get less frequent. We'll get a number at their quarterly results and at E3. Is there a reason to keep announcing every million sold?

TS-08

Is this good or bad? IMO this needs some context.

Well the TF bundle is still #11. I think it is safe to say that TF has done almost all it can do as far as current owners of the system goes, and now it is doing more to sell the system to new consumers.

Hydrargyrus

It's only me, or Titanfall isn't moving as much HW and SW as everyone thought (specially MS)?

I don't mean that the rumored numbers are bad at all, but for that huge marketing campaign, they seemed to expect COD/Halo numbers

It's only me, or Titanfall isn't moving as much HW and SW as everyone thought (specially MS)?

I don't mean that the rumored numbers are bad at all, but for that huge marketing campaign, they seemed to expect COD/Halo numbers

We won't know for sure till they give us some hard numbers. The lack thereof speaks volumes though.

TS-08

I guarantee you that, despite the marketing blitz, they did not expect a new ip on a limited amount of platforms (one of which is 4 months old) to sell like a couple of the biggest franchises of all time. The thing hasn't even released on the 360 yet either.

What do people think the actual Worldwide sales totals are for WiiU, XBone and PS4 right now ?. Thanks.

PS4 is likely 6.5 - 7 million units sold as of right now

XB1 is 3.6 - 4 million units sold I would say. I think it's under 4 as they would announce that but maybe they're saving the announcement?

Wii U? Somewhere around 4 million maybe? Hard to tell

I'm of course talking sold through to consumer. Last Wii U numbers we got was about 6 million shipped to retail

TS-08

PS4 is likely 6.5 - 7 million units sold as of right now

XB1 is 3.6 - 4 million units sold I would say. I think it's under 4 as they would announce that but maybe they're saying the announcement?

Wii U? Somewhere around 4 million maybe? Hard to tell

I think I read somewhere that MS is only announcing HW numbers during their quarterly reports in the future. Speaking of, wasn't the estimate of WW for the XB1 at 3.6 million after the last NPD? It has probably eclipsed 4 million by a little bit if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom