• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Imagines: What if 'New Super Mario Bros Wii' was not based on the DS game? (Pics)

Looking at those photo's, I gotta say, I think NSMB graphics are the best for this 4 player co-op. Second best would be SNES Mario.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mama Robotnik said:
(The source I used for the NES copy-and-paste graphics were unfortunately prefiltered, and when shown alongside the SMW image, which is much less filtered, I can understand the displeasure I am reading. Using the sources I was, it couldn't be helped, and I'm not photoshop-literate enough to remove or reduce their effect. If another GAFfer would like to try though, please feel free.)

2gwrvqu.png

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You forgot the one that would look head-and-shoulders over everything. One using Paper Mario assets.

volmer

What I don't get is why Nintendo does not utilize the anti-aliasing capabilities of their own hardware. I mean, for a game where it's so painfully obvious how efficiently you could cull what's not on the screen, why not spend those extra cycles on anti-aliasing even if you have to do it through re-rendering?

Nintendo, here is a "cook book" for implementing anti-aliasing in games with trivial rendering and cycles to spare (like this one...):

1. Allocate memory for N textures, as many as you want sub-pixels.
2. Specify the offsets for your N sub-pixels.
3. Render your scene N times -- remember to offset the camera slightly in each iteration according to previously specified sub-pixel offsets, and then copy to texture.
4. Render a textured quad; your hardware supports texture combiners, so make use of those: Simply average the samples of your N textures, and finally copy to display.
5. You are done!

P.S: You're welcome.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Also why is the World iteration using Chargin' Chucks instead of the Amazing Flying Hammer Bros.?

Sheesh Mama Robotnik.

DavidDayton said:
My eyeballs....arrgh.... if we HAVE to have folks banding together to form the Video Game Voters Network, can they work on banning filters from classic games?

I don't quite get why people keep whining about how NSMBW is "just an upscaled DS game." The game is similar (similar art, music, and control), as you'd expect from a sequel, but it's hardly a rehash of the DS game. The controls feel more precise, the wide areas allow for for movement, the cooperative aspect is quite fresh, and the levels (and their gimmicks) are new.
I think the lack of anti-aliasing has something to do with the displeasure for the look of it.

DavidDayton said:
I don't quite get why people keep whining about how NSMBW is "just an upscaled DS game." The game is similar (similar art, music, and control), as you'd expect from a sequel, but it's hardly a rehash of the DS game. The controls feel more precise, the wide areas allow for for movement, the cooperative aspect is quite fresh, and the levels (and their gimmicks) are new.
There's been a lot of (purposeful) FUD about this game. The people who originally spread that this is just a DS port with multiplayer knew it wasn't, but then they got more people to believe it, so it's now more than just a crazed man yelling about pirates throughout the village.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Pai Pai Master said:
Yep. Shoulda used Paper Mario style.

I'm not defending Nintendo's choice, I would much rather it have a Paper Mario aesthetic, but when you compare the sales of NSMB to the sales of the latest Paper Mario game, it would be insane for Nintendo to go the road less (edit) more stylish.

Thank you for making this comparison. I was honestly wondering what it would look like and in the end I am completely happy with the art on NSMB Wii. I think it looks fantastic. The graphics of the old games have nostalgia but make my eyes bleed.

Kodiak said:
Braid says hello.
I haven't played Braid past the demo, but isn't a pretty slow paced and peaceful game that doesn't punish you for mistakes?

It's also quite a bit brighter and clearer than the picture above, which should hang in an I Am 8-Bit presentation and not really be emulated for a Mario game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
ShockingAlberto said:
I haven't played Braid past the demo, but isn't a pretty slow paced and peaceful game that doesn't punish you for mistakes?

It's also quite a bit brighter and clearer than the picture above, which should hang in an I Am 8-Bit presentation and not really be emulated for a Mario game.

I'm just saying, a lush, detailed mario game would be totally possible. Obviously you'd have to clean up the presentation and define the gameplay layer better, but it would work just fine.

CTLance

Ewww, Guybrush. I like that pic by itself, but playing the game like this ... hell no. :lol

For me, SMW >= SMB3 > SMB2 = NSMB >SMB1. But whatever.

Also, obligatory whine about the evil blurry filter.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kodiak said:
I'm not defending Nintendo's choice, I would much rather it have a Paper Mario aesthetic, but when you compare the sales of NSMB to the sales of the latest Paper Mario game, it would be insane for Nintendo to go the road less stylish.
Did you just say Paper Mario is less stylish than NSMB? Go lay on some train tracks.

Why is no one working on a pc game/mod/hack based on this, with each version as a different option a la Katamari Tribute?

Bit-Bit

You did all of that in MSPaint, OP?

You sir, must have the patience of a river cutting through the Grand Canyon.

Kodiak said:
I'm just saying, a lush, detailed mario game would be totally possible. Obviously you'd have to clean up the presentation and define the gameplay layer better, but it would work just fine.
Well, yeah, I was commenting solely on the picture posted.

If it was created in mind with playability first and style second, I'd be all for it.

It reminds me of an anecdote about Yoshi's Island. When it was first pitched, it had graphics similar to Mario World. Nintendo higher-ups (of which Miyamoto apparently wasn't at that point) asked him to change it to something like Donkey Kong Country, which was getting a lot of attention for its graphics. Miyamoto, never being a fan of the Rare games, decided to go the opposite way and go for a children's crayon look. The core of the game remained the same and he made the artstyle fit around it.

If they wanted a water color look for the next Mario game, I wouldn't mind it. But they absolutely need to focus it on playability first, which I don't think that picture accurately demonstrates.

zigg

While I can appreciate the effort going into these alt shots, I still prefer the NSMB look.

I wouldn't be against brand-new spriteage, though.

d+pad

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually think Nintendo made the right decision to ape NSMB DS. It suggests the look and feel of the 8-bit and 16-bit Marios while looking more modern at the same time.

That said, I'd personally kill for a variation that used SMB2 sprites and content. Like someone else here said earlier, I can just imagine the orgasms I'd have while fighting a boss with three other players - all of us pulling up turnips and tossing them at the baddie...

DDayton

zigg said:
While I can appreciate the effort going into these alt shots, I still prefer the NSMB look.

I wouldn't be against brand-new spriteage, though.

I have no objections to the current look, either... new sprite work would be neat, but I can handle polygons.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's not a popular entry into the series, but I always thought Yoshi's Island was the prettiest, or at least would be had the art direction been backed up a little better.

yoshi23ot.jpg

I'd love to see them revisit that style.

epmode

stuburns said:
I think it's not a popular entry into the series, but I always thought Yoshi's Island was the prettiest, or at least would be had the art direction been backed up a little better.
Yeah? It's the best 2D Mario platformer, even if you don't actually use Mario.

epmode said:
Yeah? It's the best 2D Mario platformer, even if you don't actually use Mario.
He might be talking about YIDS. Which is almost universally disliked.

I really loved it, though. Got extremely fun for me at the end.

jett

D-Member
I really don't like the NSMB artstyle at all. It's just meh. Yoshi's Island takes a gigantic shit of epic proportions on it.

DavidDayton said:
20sjas1.png

Filters are evil.
I like both at times, but I just wanted to throw out one based on your image to show an example that comes across somewhat less blurry than those in the OP. It would be even less blurry buuuut this one is based on tripling size, so bringing it back down to double size results in more colors being added that aren't in the original.
2556jp4.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm not going to photoshop copy/paste it, but....

Shig said:
You forgot the one that would look head-and-shoulders over everything. One using Paper Mario assets.

...somebody should...

Yazus

My opinion is that Super Mario Bros Wii is ok as it is. But if Nintendo were to make a WiiWare game 4 player local coop with Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad trough levels I'd choose Super Mario World art style and Super Mario Bros 2 as for boss design/level design.
I would also include Super Mario Bros 3 items and powerups because they were so awesome.

Again, I want you to remember that Megaman 9 was an approach yes old school but also a downloadable game. Nintendo is trying to make a full new game that will be full priced.

Jiggy

Guybrush Threepwood said:
What if it looked like this?

w885ee.jpg
Then I might never play it. Some of that artist's works look good (if it's the same one I think it is) even in a game context, but Mario's tended to use abstraction with uniform colors and unnaturally-symmetrical patterns. This is adding a layer of realism that I'd never want in a series centered around a concept as archetypically-simplistic and rooted in fantasy history as a hero defeating a monster and saving a princess.

DDayton

JoshuaJSlone said:
I like both at times, but I just wanted to throw out one based on your image to show an example that comes across somewhat less blurry than those in the OP. It would be even less blurry buuuut this one is based on tripling size, so bringing it back down to double size results in more colors being added that aren't in the original.
2556jp4.png

Do you honestly think that looks BETTER than the following?

20sjas1.png

The filtered picture is a goofy looking, blurred out mess. It lacks detail and subtlety (see Mario's mustache, for a good example). It looks like a badly done bit of tracing.

It's interesting what can be done with a filter, mind you, but it doesn't look good.

Link Man

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
Awesome, I love the comparison shots. I'd be equally excited about any of the 8/16-bit Marios being revisited, especially the US SMB2 - that game and its unique gameplay have been left forgotten for too long.
Play Super Paper Mario.

DavidDayton said:
Do you honestly think that looks BETTER than the following?
I think it depends. The complete retro look by plain integer pixel multiplication is cool, but I also find a charm in what essentially becomes a vector graphic interpretation of the retro. Different scaling methods for different situations.
20090625toadstoolpixelpeat.png

Top Bottom