• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Imagines: What if 'New Super Mario Bros Wii' was not based on the DS game? (Pics)

Jiggy said:
This is adding a layer of realism that I'd never want in a series centered around a concept as archetypically-simplistic and rooted in fantasy history as a hero defeating a monster and saving a princess.
Braid says hello.

Though I agree with you on never wanting to see a Mario game with this layer of realism.

edit: Holy shit, just noticed Kodiak's reply at post 69. I should have scrolled up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
While the NSMB graphics might be my least favored out of of all the Mario games, the far bigger problem I have with NSMB Wii are the jaggies. It looks just as pixelated as the DS version.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think it depends. The complete retro look by plain integer pixel multiplication is cool, but I also find a charm in what essentially becomes a vector graphic interpretation of the retro. Different scaling methods for different situations.
20090625toadstoolpixelpeat.png

Yeah, I like the filtered look as well. I know many might not, but I always preferred blurry over pixelly. (though not in that particular comparison to be honest :x)

darkwings said:
this has been explained 100 times. Because you will meet princess and the others along in the game as NPCs.

NPCs that become playable characters, though, or just "here's Peach, go rescue her now"? That's my question...

As for sprite filters, I think they sometimes can look okay, but the unfiltered look usually is best.

Actually, the "let's emulate a TV" look is usually best, really... adding stuff like fuzziness, lines, etc, to make up for the fact that the screen is much sharper than the image was meant to be seen on. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DMeisterJ said:
SMW has aged so gracefully.

Oh totally. I think it still looks absolutely awesome even today.

Grayman

If it was to be 2d I would have rather had new high detail art for the game. All of the examples look better than the DS version, if you ignore the filtering...

Exypher

HUELEN10 said:
Link to source material, NOW.

please?

Edited the picture a little after you quoted it :) honestly I just copied and pasted stuff from screenshots and artwork from the game to make it resemble the original picture, what kind of source material would you like to see? The PSD file?

HUELEN10

Exypher said:
Edited the picture a little after you quoted it :) honestly I just copied and pasted stuff from screenshots and artwork from the game to make it resemble the original picture, what kind of source material would you like to see? The PSD file?
Sprites....

See, years ago I had this site bookmarked with EVER Paper Mario 2 sprite and other sourcefile, but I lost the link, and google is of no help.

Thanks anyways...

Top Bottom