• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fafner Exodus 12

XDi0VOD.jpg

rIOkRE6.jpg

Just another "everything goes wrong" day in the world of Fafner.

I enjoyed the original Twin Peaks, but it sounds like this may be too high-level Lynch for me.

Is that good or bad?

Well so far its been 75% Fire Walk With Me/Eraserhead Lynch to an extreme degree. I think we'll get more of the small town stuff Twin Peaks had later but who knows.

Original Twin Peaks I could stand, but everything else Lynch I tend to despise. Particularly Mullholland Drive. If this is more Lynch than that, I am keeping away.

Oh stay FAR away from this then. Not only can you not appreciate his masterpiece Mulholland Drive, but this is even further beyond the Lynch scale then Eraserhead.

I just finished the third episode and...I think thats the furthest Lynch has ever gone. Like he is completely off the leash. It borderline experimental.

All I can say is that Lynch is once again making something that will split people. And not because it's bad like a lot of season 2, but because it leans hard into the surrealism and not the small town vibe. So far at least I think it will even out at some point

duckroll

Granblue Fantasy - Episode 8

Was this... a filler episode? A gag episode? I don't know even. The entire thing was weird. It was kinda funny and there were some really good animation bits, but it just felt so odd. Okay...

Quasar

Twin Peaks S3 02

Oh my God this is going to be 18 hours of FWWM. How can anyone survive this? How is this allowed

Loved FWWM. Though I also liked Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

That said I did expect Frost to rein it back in a bit like he did in the earlier seasons.

Watched episode one so far. Pretty Lynchian I must say.

Certainly curious to see if Mulholland Drive is connected more implicitly this time.

Eccentric Family 2 - Ep 7

It seems confusing to me that the gun would do what guns normally do considering the owner of said gun. Also, not many Benten fans here it seems.

GBF Try + OVA
download.png

So...that was Try. Watching it and the first season back to back really amplifies how Try feels like a step down across the board. Everything from characters to animation to story direction feels limper than the first season. (Perhaps having Try and G no Reconguista air during the same season wasn't the best idea. Maybe the production struggled, I don't know.) It's a show that doesn't so much fall apart so much it never comes together...and that's a shame, because despite everything, I did find myself somewhat liking the main leads. Some of the Gundam designs are pretty solid, and some of the fights do reach an enjoyable frenzy. The good news is Try doesn't really take anything away from the first season, save for one odd story choice that never really gets a good answer.
So it straight up feels like Sei was supposed to show up at some point, and actually explain this. That never happens, so we never really get a straight answer on why exactly the Build Burning is in the state it is. All I can say is the state Sekai finds it in, doesn't match up with how Sei's character at all. The fact that Sei would abandon a Gunpla out of sorrow is weird on its own, as no one loved Gunpla more than him, whether or not Reiji returns or not. What makes it worse if the Build Burning is hidden in a Dom for no clear reason. The only reason I can think of why the Build Burning is encased in a Dom is that it's a sort of test put together by Sei. The Build Burning might only reveal itself to someone who carries Reiji's spirit, and who cares about destroying the Dom right?
download_2.png

Oh...

Random Thoughts
-Give the lady normal pants dammit. Those pants are just silly.
-So we only see Ral, China, Tatsuya, Nils and a flash of Kirara in Try right? Come on. Coooommmmee oooonnnn! Give me that Italian Stallion!
-Kinda thought with the whole love triangle/square, we'd eventually get an actual confession at some point.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Eccentric Family 2 - Ep 7

It seems confusing to me that the gun would do what guns normally do considering the owner of said gun. Also, not many Benten fans here it seems.
It originally belonged to Yakushibo's Nidaime. I can't imagine it doing anything else.

Qurupeke

LWA 20

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lame and boring. Also, if the Cavendish retainers can protect the house, they should have done so earlier...

Jarmel

Banned
LWA-20
qJgrp99.png

Look at these people waving goodbye to their jobs.
Animation was better but still C effort from Trigger. Diana didn't actually make a decision in the episode between her responsibilities and her role at the school and instead the show puts out some bullshit that you just have to accept which doesn't really make any sense. I feel that I wasted 40+ minutes watching something that didn't get resolved anyway.

I just want this shit to be over with at this point.

GBF Try + OVA
download.png

So...that was Try. Watching it and the first season back to back really amplifies how Try feels like a step down across the board. Everything from characters to animation to story direction feels limper than the first season. (Perhaps having Try and G no Reconguista air during the same season wasn't the best idea. Maybe the production struggled, I don't know.) It's a show that doesn't so much fall apart so much it never comes together...and that's a shame, because despite everything, I did find myself somewhat liking the main leads. Some of the Gundam designs are pretty solid, and some of the fights do reach an enjoyable frenzy. The good news is Try doesn't really take anything away from the first season, save for one odd story choice that never really gets a good answer.

So it straight up feels like Sei was supposed to show up at some point, and actually explain this. That never happens, so we never really get a straight answer on why exactly the Build Burning is in the state it is. All I can say is the state Sekai finds it in, doesn't match up with how Sei's character at all. The fact that Sei would abandon a Gunpla out of sorrow is weird on its own, as no one loved Gunpla more than him, whether or not Reiji returns or not. What makes it worse if the Build Burning is hidden in a Dom for no clear reason. The only reason I can think of why the Build Burning is encased in a Dom is that it's a sort of test put together by Sei. The Build Burning might only reveal itself to someone who carries Reiji's spirit, and who cares about destroying the Dom right?
download_2.png

Oh...

Random Thoughts
-Give the lady normal pants dammit. Those pants are just silly.
-So we only see Ral, China, Tatsuya, Nils and a flash of Kirara in Try right? Come on. Coooommmmee oooonnnn! Give me that Italian Stallion!
-Kinda thought with the whole love triangle/square, we'd eventually get an actual confession at some point.

Try is pretty bad compared to season one, but still better than age and 00. try did give us the totally awesome minato sakai, and the super robot spirit he brings to the later parts of the show with
tryon-3
imho he should have been the main charicter.

kewlmyc

Alien Covenant

At least they boiled down all the dumb decision making to 3 people instead of the entire ship, like in Prometheus. You're learning, Ridley Scott.

LWA 20

While this was certainly a very visually pleasing episode and we got to learn a lot about Diana...nothing was actually resolved. Though I guess Akko learned the lesson that other people in the world have dreams that are important to them too and not just you? Like these past two episodes didn't resolve a damn thing Diana's family is still in trouble. Guess we're just gonna assume the evil aunt and cousins had a change of heart and the staff can totally hold down the fort for the next four years.

Try is pretty bad compared to season one, but still better than age and 00. try did give us the totally awesome minato sakai, and the super robot spirit he brings to the later parts of the show with
tryon-3
imho he should have been the main charicter.

I guess I was only mildly disappointed with Try because S1 had my expectations raised higher than they might have otherwise been. I'm working on a rewatch of S1 right now and I'm thinking of doing so for Try for comparison's sake. I did like the Lightning Gundam and its variations (in turn because I like the Re-GZ quite a bit).

Island Wars, though...not so good. A few interesting designs, but that's it.

Andrew J.

Twin Peaks is Lynch to the max.

In the same way that Shaft anime is Shinbo making a big mess on screen. lol

Do you like contemporary Lynch? Your answer to that also answers your question. lol

Lynch's last long-form project came out eleven years ago. "Contemporary Lynch" consists entirely of the new Twin Peaks.

Cornbread78

High School DxD BorN ep.10-END
Well, that was a pretty crazy ending for Rais, Issei and crew. Pretty cool mecha fight scene there that should have made Nintendoman happy...

I'm still not completely sure what
Loki
was attempting to accomplish in the
dimensional gap
but it was still a sweet victory. However, there are still lot of holes in the story and the Rais x Issei moment, however pretty and sweet it was, took a nose dive as soon as they left the
dimentional rift
.. Why play the story like that, so they do not have
their memories
? WF is that BS....

Are the specials worth a watch? I watched the earlier OVAs, but they were kind of meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom