• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahtzee: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

bon

I don't get it! Why are people people leaving negative comments on my intentionally inflammatory video? Fanboys are crazy!!

Can you link to one of this large number of bad reviewers who gave a ten game a two?

It was a sort of exageration. I don't remind any review where a man gave a 10 and an other one a 2.
But I remember for exemple Portal 2 getting a 7/10 on Gamekult for exemple.

I feel I should clarify; I like what Yahtzee does, and think that he doesn't have a particular bias against Nintendo aside from a distaste for the general direction of the company, which undoubtedly influences his opinions somewhat.

I just think that if a game reviewer sets out to be deliberately provocative, you can't really be surprised when people are provoked, particularly with a fanbase as voracious and currently-starved as Nintendo's.

Oh, and blind Yahtzee fanboys are precisely no better than fanboys of any other stripe.

udivision

Xbox 360 fanboys are the last remaining respectable bunch. Nintendo fans and Sony fans shamed themselves with the 8.8 and 8.5 respectively.

It was a sort of exageration. I don't remind any review where a man gave a 10 and an other one a 2.
But I remember for exemple Portal 2 getting a 7/10 on Gamekult for exemple.

Ok, so we were setting up strawmen and knocking them down. And why is it not ok that someone gave portal 2 a 7/10?

Do you require everything in life to march in lockstep with the prevailing taste consensus?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As you said, all fanboys are bad. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Pickle fanboys. Every fanboys.

Right. All I'm saying is when you poke the hives, the one with the big red N tends to buzz loudest.

Did you hate on Star Fox Adventures or something?

I gave Epic Mickey a lower than expected score, and I was one of the first reviews on the net, accidentally breaking our embargo by a few hours. It was posted everywhere and in typical fanboy fashion was argued and dismissed by cretinous fanatics on the major forums.

PKrockin

Haven't people stopped watching this guy by now? It's the same thing over and over, especially when it comes to Nintendo games. Bag on Nintendo, bag on motion/3D, bag on the fanboys, maybe mention a game mechanic or two. I mean, it was funny a couple years ago...

Xbox 360 fanboys are the last remaining respectable bunch. Nintendo fans and Sony fans shamed themselves with the 8.8 and 8.5 respectively.

Fanboys and respectable are, for better or worse, entirely alien concepts to each other.

Tribally sticking to any given company or individual automatically sets you apart, whether you have petty, review-based explosions.

Besides, that's because 360 has no decent exclusives to get passionate about.

joking oh god joking please don't kill me

Which seems to be what Yahtzee is going for, cuz then people are reminded he still exists and stuff.

I can't blame him for grabbing a ball and running with it.

You're right. It's all a conspiracy. He's deliberately targeting Nintendo fans by ripping into Nintendo games for hits. I mean, all his non-Ninty reviews are all so positive and full of praise, right?

Get a grip.

rpmurphy

I think you really would have had to tone the game down a lot to make it work properly with button controls for the ground segments.
Even as it is, I think it would play much better with the Wii Remote, although it might be worse at controlling the camera especially at the pace of the ground game. With the extra buttons, it would be a lot easier to select and use the powerups, and they could design it to separate melee and ranged attacks (and dedicating a button to zooming/camera toggle). There is just way too much going on for the DS control scheme.

I gave Epic Mickey a lower than expected score, and I was one of the first reviews on the net, accidentally breaking our embargo by a few hours. It was posted everywhere and in typical fanboy fashion was argued and dismissed by cretinous fanatics on the major forums.

So what you're saying is that you're unscrupulous as well as bias. I'll never read PALGN ever again!

Ok, so we were setting up strawmen and knocking them down. And why is it not ok that someone gave portal 2 a 7/10?

Do you require everything in life to march in lockstep with the prevailing taste consensus?

Another exemple: Assassin's Creed 2 getting 4,5/10 by Destructoid.
Or another exemple from destructoid, giving Mario Kart 7 a 5 because "they're recycling things" while giving Call of.Duty MW3 a 9,5 and claiming it's innovative.

A 7/10. That's enough to get suspicions of a writer going contrary to the majority opinion.

A 7/10.

You're what's wrong with gaming journalism. You're the audience the big outlets have to pander to. And it's why people like me can't trust trust their work.

Amen

Derrick01

Banned
I've been on the receiving end of viscous keyboard warrior Nintendo fanatics. All sides are bad, but in this age of the internet, I've found pissing off the Nintendo loons generates more backlash and attention than any.

From years of watching I'd have to agree. They can be borderline insane sometimes and explode at the smallest mention of zelda being stale or mario being for kids.

farnham

Banned
i stopped watching him ages ago

he pretty much shits on every game there is disregarding genre, developer, publisher and platform

sure he sometimes has some positive reviews but they are so few and far between that its almost a nonfactor

i just understood that his reviews are not to be taken seriously and moved on.

udivision

A 7/10. That's enough to get suspicions of a writer going contrary to the majority opinion.

A 7/10.

You're what's wrong with gaming journalism. You're the audience the big outlets have to pander to. And it's why people like me can't trust trust their work.

Couple that with 8.5 and 8.8 and it's quite obvious that you speak the truth.

From years of watching I'd have to agree. They can be borderline insane sometimes and explode at the smallest mention of zelda being stale or mario being for kids.

Which, again, is something that can be said if you tell a huge god of war fan that god of war 4 looks stale and boring, or that Uncharted is a mindless shooter that rips off Indiana Jones.

See? You can do that with any fans of any franchise. I think what seperates Nintendo fans, is that many gamers grew up with these franchises, and love them just as much now as they did when they were kids. There's a lot more dedication and passion for that, over some series like Crysis or Mass Effect.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think its silly to say any group of fans are worse than another. when anyone gets passionate about something and they feel the need to defend it they're likely to act irrationally. besides, I'm not sure how one could go about giving evidence to such a theory to begin with?

A 7/10.

The wrong thing with journalism is all those guys giving low score because the game is bad. No, because it was hyped, or because other websites gave it good score... or because this is against the general opinion.

rCIZZLE

A 7/10.

If I didn't grow up in the internet age where every game gets a 9.5 I would have thought a 7/10 was decent. Hell, I'd give most of the games I purchase a 7/10. It's a score that suggests the game gets most right but has room for improvement, whether that be through patches or sequels.

Any time I look at reviews outside of the (sometimes overhyped) GAF threads, I always look for the lowest one to find reasons I may feel buyer's remorse if I take the plunge.

The wrong thing with journalism is all those guys giving low score because the game is bad. No, because it was hyped, or because other websites gave it good score... or because this is against the general opinion.

You are the slave to the prevailing taste consensus who wants to destroy anyone who doesn't march in lockstep, not us.

If I didn't grow up in the internet age where every game gets a 9.5 I would have thought a 7/10 was decent. Hell, I'd give most of the games I purchase a 7/10. It's a score that suggests the game gets most right but has room for improvement, whether that be through patches or sequels.

Any time I look at reviews outside of the (sometimes overhyped) GAF threads, I always look for the lowest one to find reasons I may feel buyer's remorse if I take the plunge.

Don't tell ghosttrick. You just agree with the 7/10 out of desire for shock value and attention.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what you're saying is that you're unscrupulous as well as bias. I'll never read PALGN ever again!

We all left PALGN so good! Don't read it!

Kinda this, yeah. Obviously all the mental Xbox/Sony/Nintendo console warriors are bad, and you get equally disturbing, viscous shit from all three. Nintendo fans aren't worse in that respect. They're all equally capable and almost all kick up a similar stink.

But in terms of quantity of complaints, the quicker response, and rate it spreads, it's usually worse with the Nintendo crowd. I don't know if this is because this particular fanbase is maybe more active in online gaming communities than the others, representing a larger share, or maybe because there's bigger fansites dedicated exclusively to Nintendo platforms versus the others. I have no idea why, but when you piss them off you're guaranteed to hear about it very, very quickly, and hear about it from everywhere.

The Yahtzee incident is kinda unsympathetic though. You'd have thought people would have gotten used to and over his shtick by now. Yet every time he's dismissive of a game people really like, the internet is set on fire.

Orayn

Mario is for kids
in addition to teenagers, adults, and old people.

Another exemple: Assassin's Creed 2 getting 4,5/10 by Destructoid.
Or another exemple from destructoid, giving Mario Kart 7 a 5 because "they're recycling things" while giving Call of.Duty MW3 a 9,5 and claiming it's innovative.

I'm reminded of that awful Venture Beat review for Skyward Sword where the reviewer spent much of the first page saying: "Twilight Princess sucked. I checked Metacritic and it has a 94. I can't believe everyone is so blinded by Nintendo. Nintendo sucks."

Yahtzee only annoys me when he gets on his pedestal to bitch about Nintendo and their fans. Whether you like the games or not, whatever. (And yeah, fanboys are just the worst lot of people, so I'll give him that. But it's universal)

No, I honestly feel like Nintendo have the most rabid base of hardcore fanatics. They have an almost religious devotion to that company.

rpmurphy

Which, again, is something that can be said if you tell a huge god of war fan that god of war 4 looks stale and boring, or that Uncharted is a mindless shooter that rips off Indiana Jones.

See? You can do that with any fans of any franchise. I think what seperates Nintendo fans, is that many gamers grew up with these franchises, and love them just as much now as they did when they were kids. There's a lot more dedication and passion for that, over some series like Crysis or Mass Effect.
People got really defensive on the GoW4 thread about the previewer complaining that it's too gory for him. I found that to be pretty amusing.

You are the slave to the prevailing taste consensus who wants to destroy anyone who doesn't march in lockstep, not us.

Don't tell ghosttrick. You just agree with the 7/10 out of desire for shock value and attention.

So because everyone love it, it's overated ? Lol.
You're one of those guys who think they're a sort of elit because they have different taste ? Good for you.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason you've posted so many times in this thread.

Yep. It's like saying bicycle is faster than a car.

I've been on the receiving end of viscous keyboard warrior Nintendo fanatics. All sides are bad, but in this age of the internet, I've found pissing off the Nintendo loons generates more backlash and attention than any.
I figure it's because people say the dumbest stuff about Nintendo.

"They should go third party."
"For children."
"The Wii isn't a console, it's a toy."

Find equally moronic things said about Sony and Microsoft, and I think you'd have a case for it being a problem with the fans, and not the people the fans continually have to put up with.

JazzmanZ

Yahtzees job is being a critic, he's going to criticize every game he gets his hands on, it's easy to do, and he makes controversial yet large page view stories of the games, he shouldn't be taken seriously as a reviewer but more as someone who finds the flaws in games and points them out.

So because everyone love it, it's overated ? Lol.
You're one of those guys who think they're a sort of elit because they have different taste ? Good for you.

Did you imagine some words that weren't on the screen? That's the only explanation I can think of for this response.

But you did catch me, I'm totally a game hipster.

video-game-memes-hipster-donkey-kong.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
My comment was nothing if not jovial! Derrick and I do this all the time, and I'm largely agreeing with him - Mario games are generally great games for kids.

Well I wasn't really calling Mario for kids so much as using the common knock on it as an example of things nintendo fans go apeshit over.

Zelda is pretty damn stale though ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Here's the thing though. Nintendo fans, as a collective, are officially the picked on nerd in the corner. Are they the craziest? Yes. And in fact, they eat their own. You don't HAVE to be an outsider and say a bad thing about Zelda to start a war. Zelda fans murder each other without outside intervention. Then there's Metroid fans, who in recent years revealed that they were a boiler just waiting to explode.

Yet the fact remains that the situation is just made worse by everyone else running a repeating loop of generic Nintendo criticism; it actually gets quite old, and inane. These repeated, practically mindless gripes about Nintendo typically seem to stem from the fact that gamer dudes don't care that Nintendo doesn't cater only to them. Or that they make games with appeal beyond only the 18-25 year old male who believes if only he can murder enough virtual soldiers as a floating gun camera, he shall reach the singularity.

And that's a big part of what Yahtzee plays on when he says anything about Nintendo. He's the "evil clown" comedian archetype. His jests always have a genuine barb hidden within them. And he knows his gaming memes quite well.

So he knows precisely which over-used criticisms get rubber stamped upon every product Nintendo releases, and which ones are most likely to make fans snap. Therefore, he is sure to base his Nintendo reviews around those.

You can see that his gimmick works by how many people take his reviews straight, and by how many folks on the negative side (i.e. those who enjoy seeing him rip things apart) congratulate him for being "the last honest reviewer". That's not exactly true. He's quite disingenuous in the name of comedy. He exaggerates nit picks into mountains in ways that would be ridiculous if it wasn't for the lulz.

But not only is that incredibly rare, but it's also something you're convincing yourself is the reason for the differing opinion. Here's something objective: Opinion is subjective. Here's something else objective: In all media, there are some fairly dissenting reviews.

Not so rare as you think.

Orayn

Yahtzees job is being a critic, he's going to criticize every game he gets his hands on, it's easy to do, and he makes controversial yet large page view stories of the games he shouldn't be taken seriously as a reviewer but more as someone who finds the flaws in games and points them out.

True enough. Remember his review of Arkham Asylum? It was several minutes of nitpicking and standard Yahtzee jokes, followed by a 30-second disclaimer stating that AA was a fantastic, exceptionally well designed game that he really enjoyed.

Well I wasn't really calling Mario for kids so much as using the common knock on it as an example of things nintendo fans go apeshit over.

Zelda is pretty damn stale though ;)

Maybe. I prefer to think of the staleness as an illusion caused by them being the most frequently released games in an utterly neglected sub-genre.

But you know what, Derrick? Our differences are petty, we both loved Dark Souls.

I figure it's because people say the dumbest stuff about Nintendo.

"They should go third party."
"For children."
"The Wii isn't a console, it's a toy."

Find equally moronic things said about Sony and Microsoft, and I think you'd have a case for it being a problem with the fans, and not the people the fans continually have to put up with.

Yeah, that's true. Nintendo ONLY fans put up with alot more shit and name calling than 360 and PS3 diehards do.

We all left PALGN so good! Don't read it!

Please tell me where you work now so I can accurately continue my one-man hate campaign against you.

holy shit, really?

To be fair, he should be ripped on for being so incredibly weak-stomached, knowing this, and then going to see God of War, perhaps the most disgustingly violent game series on the market. The obvious counter argument to that point of view is that 1up has like three employees and the GoW fanboy guy was just fired.

Did you imagine some words that weren't on the screen? That's the only explanation I can think of for this response.

But you did catch me, I'm totally a game hipster.

video-game-memes-hipster-donkey-kong.jpg

Calling me a slave of consensus of general taste just prove it. You find something cool because you thini it's different.

Top Bottom