• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahtzee: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

Neiteio

I dunno but I think they're kinda crazy sometimes. I mean look at the Wii U speculation thread, it's almost at OT5. :p
I haven't really frequented the thread much but I'd imagine it's ballooning out of control because everyone wants a sequel to their Nintendo franchise of choice, right? And the good worthwhile people want F-Zero sequels, naturally.

*shits on games (from Nintendo and elsewhere) week after week

*is perplexed when people shit on him for shitting on said games they may enjoy

*has the same schtick week after week but gives Nintendo (and others) shit for drawing from the same well

Neiteio

I told you the control would be fine :p
Holy shit, you're right: Before I played Uprising, I was totally doubting the controls. I was probably the sharpest critic, making assumptions based on the inclusion of the stand. But then I played Uprising and found the controls to not only be fine, but fantastic. I owe you an apology, dude. (Sincerely. <3)

wondermega

KI looks like a fun and interesting game. That said, I knew I would likely never try it (unless it was thrust upon me) because it needed to be played with a stand :/ Nintendo's own lack of confidence in the thing straight-out-the-box was enough to tell me I would find better time spent gaming elsewhere..

no this is not a troll, I am trying to prove a point of what goes on psychologically with your audience when you release a stand as a necessity to play your portable game. I had the same feeling with Virtual Boy, actually.

Trike

God using that stand was so uncomfortable. I only used it for like three or so levels before I just held it myself. Got used to it that way within a level or two. I can understand people hating on the game cause of the controls though. Can't understand people hating on Yahtzee cause he didn't like a game. I mean, have they seen his other reviews?
me either lololol

bon

KI looks like a fun and interesting game. That said, I knew I would likely never try it (unless it was thrust upon me) because it needed to be played with a stand :/ Nintendo's own lack of confidence in the thing straight-out-the-box was enough to tell me I would find better time spent gaming elsewhere..

no this is not a troll, I am trying to prove a point of what goes on psychologically with your audience when you release a stand as a necessity to play your portable game. I had the same feeling with Virtual Boy, actually.

The stand isn't required, at all. If Nintendo weren't confident in the controls, they would have given the option of using the circle pad pro for aiming.

rpmurphy

The stand had no influence at all for me getting the game, but having said that, the stand is pretty nice. I also use it now for my phone. If you're primarily going to play the game with the stylus, the stand is probably useful for KI, but if you're like me and don't use the stylus at all, you should be fine without it.

hatchx

Banned
...who the fuck said MPH's story was amazing? .

Nobody thought that.

I have never used the stand. It may as well be garbage. You are missing out on a great and unique game.

Terrell

I always watched Yahtzee this way:

Laugh at the jokes with the equally funny pictures, and whenever he starts going on about something being a "shit game for twats", take the cynical anger dial and reduce it by 80%. That's his actual opinion and his actual review. If you can do that, you can still enjoy his stuff.

If you can't watch it for laughs or take it too seriously, then you're probably missing the whole point. It's not that he isn't serious about what he says, it's just a blatant over-exaggeration of what he actually thinks.

I was pretty negative about the controls at first in the official thread, and I still find fault in them. But the game is just so much fun. It's really addictive. I find myself replaying levels over and over again, trying to beat a new difficulty level. For the challenge and to try to get a better weapon. Why? So I can beat the next level. Or fuse the weapon. Fusing!

Neiteio

Stand's not necessary. I hold the system. I use the stylus. And the controls work great -- just max out aiming sensitivity and camera stopping speed. :) But I do understand the psychological effect the presence of the stand has on those who haven't played the game. I, too, once thought its inclusion was Nintendo's way of saying they screwed up. But then I played the game and found the stand's not necessary and the controls, in fact, are brilliant. Just tweak the aiming/stopping speed and you'll have it down within a level. No stand necessary: just hold it, standing up, sitting down, lying in bed. Easy.

The only thing I use the stand for is to keep the box full so that I don't accidentally crush the box if something falls on top of it, lol.

Yagharek

Yahtzee's M.O is to basically review a game in an amusing but somewhat offensive manner. If you watch his reviews, some you will agree with and laugh at, others you will watch with horror as he tears a game you like to pieces. And calls you a cunt in the process.

He is an equal opportunity hater. Take everything he says with a pinch of salt and a thick skin and he is entertaining.

But he shouldn't at all be surprised or upset that he generates the reaction he does. Surely generating hostile reactions is part of his original intention in reviewing games in that style?

Bad7667

I think a lot of the comments about how he hates games is missing the point of his reviews. Most reviews tend to be completely positive or a `this but this`style of review.

To me he reviews games more in a critical mind set and most people are not used to that. Look at all the games he loves, he still finds quite a bit to critique.

I guess if you want every review the same, or can`t deal with someone not agreeing with your opinion, I can see where the hate comes from.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nintendo fanboys are a crazy bunch.

See the Sony All Stars thread for more evidence.

Lol, you've been here a few months. You think those are crazy then maybe you should have lurked back then with the Wii reveal, PSPvsDS, $599, "wait for...", two jobs/will sell 5M even with no games, Xbox 1.5, Wallguy, RE4 going Gamecube and then the RE4 coming to PS2, Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360 (I'm an expert!), the Epic Mickey reveal, the Dragon Quest going to DS, MonHun going to Wii... Yeah. Seems to me you're as blind as the crazy fanvoys your calling out.

There's no contest honestly.

90sRobots

I never get tired of reading the YAHZEE, WHO'S THAT posts whenever he goes after a sacred cow.
Yeah, this.

"Console wars" is something that only exists in the minds of reactionary adolescents and adults that may need help in their day-to-day activities.

Cipherr

I never get tired of reading the YAHZEE, WHO'S THAT posts whenever he goes after a sacred cow.

I am genuinely curious, is he someone we are supposed to know? You would think with a name like that, I would remember him, But I haven't ever even heard of him. A who's that is sort of a good question. Normally folks at least list what site they write for, Giantbomb, Gamestop, IGN etc. The turnover is ridiculous at gaming websites, how is anyone supposed to keep track of anyone but the likes of Gerst, Shane and the like.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Call me a fanboy, but I did grow tired of Yahtzee after the first year. To be fair I grew tired of the game review industry in its entirety recently.

Addendum: I played it with the stand once and I hated it. You need to find a sweet spot with it.
see here's the problem... it should have tried to be star fox snes instead of star fox 64.
Man, I used to look up to you.
Now you keep posting at the end of the page.

90sRobots

I am genuinely curious, is he someone we are supposed to know? You would think with a name like that, I would remember him, But I haven't ever even heard of him. A who's that is sort of a good question. Normally folks at least list what site they write for, Giantbomb, Gamestop, IGN etc. The turnover is ridiculous at gaming websites, how is anyone supposed to keep track of anyone but the likes of Gerst, Shane and the like.
-It wouldve taken less time to research the topic at hand than write that rambling post.
-Shane Bettenhausen? He stopped covering games in 2008. When are you from?
-Your avatar is the fucking worst.

I like Yahtzee
I love Kid Icarus
I still think the controls are absolute dog shit.
I still love Kud Icarus.
Do I win a prize?

I don't see why he bothers responding.

The crazy Nintendo/Sony fans will always be fucking crazy. Nothing you say or do will change that. Many GAF threads have taught me this.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wait, Kid Icarus Uprising can only use the Circle Pad Pro as a method for left handed gamers?
I haven't played this game yet, but they really should patch support for it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Never saw his review or the backlash to it but this is a pretty childish response.

Still, I guess that's his job, insult stuff, make people angry, laugh at them, rinse, repeat, profit.

Perkel

Banned
This, I thought by now everyone stopped watching his videos.

Reviews are awasome in my opinion.

He just don't like clishes and like when game is innovative.

He nails it when game have critical fails. Like witcher act 1 boss battle. Also he don't care about game being next part in franchize like whole world. '' Oh my god ! It's new GTA ! It's best game ever ! We can't find any cons. Hurr Durr 10/10"

Yahtzee is not only a terrible reviewer, hes also unfunny but somehow managed to become popular repeating terrible trolling cooked up by middle schoolers with stupid images. The fact that people are talking about him is more then he deserves.

Lol, you've been here a few months. You think those are crazy then maybe you should have lurked back then with the Wii reveal, PSPvsDS, $599, "wait for...", two jobs/will sell 5M even with no games, Xbox 1.5, Wallguy, RE4 going Gamecube and then the RE4 coming to PS2, Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360 (I'm an expert!), the Epic Mickey reveal, the Dragon Quest going to DS, MonHun going to Wii... Yeah. Seems to me you're as blind as the crazy fanvoys your calling out.

There's no contest honestly.

Wow, this post is unbelievably pathetic. I may be only a junior, but I've been lurking here for years. I witnessed all the events you've listed above, so don't try that shit with me. Note, I said Nintendo fanboys are a crazy bunch, rather than saying Nintendo fanboys are the craziest bunch. There's a distinct difference. This isn't a competition or a contest between the fanboys like you're making it out to be. This thread specificaly mentions Nintendo fanboys going crazy over a review, that's why I singled them out.

There's also a very clear distinction between a Nintendo fan (such as myself) and a Nintendo fanboy; only a fanboy would get irked by my original comment.

I will say this that playing Kid Icarus with CPP does hurt my neck (and back) as the sweet spot requires me to bend my neck a lot. However this hasn't given me more neck pains than using a laptop all day. It is the fact that the game is not the most comfortable to play, but it is a damn amazing game still. I will check out his review after im done with the story mode as I don't want any spoilers.

Mael

Wow, this post is unbelievably pathetic. I may be only a junior, but I've been lurking here for years. I witnessed all the events you've listed above, so don't try that shit with me. Note, I said Nintendo fanboys are a crazy bunch, rather than saying Nintendo fanboys are the craziest bunch. There's a distinct difference. This isn't a competition or a contest between the fanboys like you're making it out to be. This thread specificaly mentions Nintendo fanboys going crazy over a review, that's why I singled them out.

There's also a very clear distinction between a Nintendo fan (such as myself) and a Nintendo fanboy; only a fanboy would get irked by my original comment.

Huh just a question, did the Nintendo fanboys went crazy over the vid here or are you complaining about the internet at large?

mclem

It amuses me that he's complaining about people who are - fundamentally - reviewing his review and finding it wanting.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
He is funny to you as long as he doesn't slaughter your personal sacred cow. Period. The moment you take this personally, you no longer enjoy him.

I don't find him funny in the slightest. I never have and will never understand his appeal, regardless of if he pokes fun at games I like or am indifferent towards.

That being said, fans getting pissed at him over this is stupid. If you don't like it, do what I - choose to not bother watching it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wish he'd go back to making great games though, 6 Days a Sacrifice was so good, as was Art of Theft.

Chopper

There was a stand? I thought mine came in an extra large box to contain all the FUCKING AWESOME that comes with this game.

MMaRsu

Banned

Presumably if the gameplay videos were that great, complaints would be justified?

Nowhere in that quote is any indication of any view other than Nintendo fans shouldn't disagree with the review because the game isn't that good. If you didn't think it was relevant, you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Well, that's me schooled. Bravo.

It doesnt matter if the game is good or not. Zero Punctuation didnt like it, he made a review about it and before starting off he actually warned Nintendo fans that is NOT a Nintendo hater etc..

And then they still pile on him for disliking a game made by "their" company.

All I'm saying is the game didn't look that great to me. ZP hated it obviously, that doesnt make him a Nintendo hater I'm just sick of fanboys and especially Nintendo fanboys who cant take a damn joke.

MMaRsu

Banned
It was a sort of exageration. I don't remind any review where a man gave a 10 and an other one a 2.
But I remember for exemple Portal 2 getting a 7/10 on Gamekult for exemple.

So they gave it a 7 to look cool and edgy or because they actually didnt like it as much as people throwing 10's Valve's way.

You're just writing a ton of nonsense buddy.

So they gave it a 7 to look cool and edgy or because they actually didnt like it as much as people throwing 10's Valve's way.

this is the score i'd give portal 2 also. I must have an agenda.

either that or I felt the puzzles were too hand-holdy

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Number of times I have actually used the stand for playing Kid Icarus: Uprising = 0.

Man up, Yahtzee.

Mael

It doesnt matter if the game is good or not. Zero Punctuation didnt like it, he made a review about it and before starting off he actually warned Nintendo fans that is NOT a Nintendo hater etc..

All I'm saying is the game didn't look that great to me. ZP hated it obviously, that doesnt make him a Nintendo hater I'm just sick of fanboys and especially Nintendo fanboys who cant take a damn joke.

Does he have Nintendo friends too?

MMaRsu

Banned
this is the score i'd give portal 2 also. I must have an agenda.

either that or I felt the puzzles were too hand-holdy

Well the puzzles were certainly harder in the first game I'll tell you that much :p.

Another exemple: Assassin's Creed 2 getting 4,5/10 by Destructoid.
Or another exemple from destructoid, giving Mario Kart 7 a 5 because "they're recycling things" while giving Call of.Duty MW3 a 9,5 and claiming it's innovative.

Destructoid is a joke site, deal with it.

Comon ! Don't be naive pal ! Do you seriously think that games like Assassin's Creed 2 deserve 4,5/10 ?
Do you seriously think Mario kart 7 or Kid Icarus deserve 5/10 ? If those games are average games, then the whole industry is made of average games.
There's reviewers who gives low score just to make talking about them. If you believe the contrary, then you're just naive.

The first words out of his mouth following that were describing Kid Icarus as a "shit game for twats."

Please don't try and portray Yahtzee as some deeply sincere, utterly even handed and unbiased critic being picked on by the Nintendo fanboys, because no one will agree with you, least of all Yahtzee himself.

I'd have thought that a provocative reviewer provoking an opinion would have been seen as job well done frankly.

Whereas I'm mildly annoyed by Yahtzee fans dogmatically holding him up as the One True Voice and taking his word as gospel, right down to agreeing with him on a game that they've done nothing with but watch a gameplay video or two; particularly considering that his main complaint (the controls) are not something that can be accurately assessed by watching gameplay.

J-Rod

I like listening to his rants even though he has taken huge dumps on my most favorite games. If we are allowed to mention people we think has a schtick that got tired fast, it's avgn, IMO.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Another exemple: Assassin's Creed 2 getting 4,5/10 by Destructoid.
Or another exemple from destructoid, giving Mario Kart 7 a 5 because "they're recycling things" while giving Call of.Duty MW3 a 9,5 and claiming it's innovative.

I agreed with every single word they wrote about AC2. That game was horrible.

Top Bottom