• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

God damn! BLAZING STAR fucking rules! Best $8 I've spent in a long time. :eek:

I've been debating for weeks which neo geo game to get and I've been so close to getting blazing star.... but now there's Garou... and everyone says turf masters is the best...

So I end up not buying anything because I still need to beat Zelda!

Do I make sense?

I've been debating for weeks which neo geo game to get and I've been so close to getting blazing star.... but now there's Garou... and everyone says turf masters is the best...

Do I make sense?

I bought most Neo Geo Games on Switch and they are perfect when you need a little break from Zelda. If that makes sense... ;)

I bought most Neo Geo Games on Switch and they are perfect when you need a little break from Zelda. If that makes sense... ;)

Yup. These are great for five to ten minute play sessions. Longer if I want to play through something completely. Neo Geo titles are always great to have collected, especially on the go.

Neff

All three are fantastic.

But I say KOF'98 is and always will be the best Neo Geo game.

Tizoc

Do I make sense?

No.
Go buy them now so that when you beat this Zelda game you can experience some good ol' Neo Geo greatness.
EMBRACE THE INSANITY!

Eolz

Do I make sense?

Well all three are in different genres :p. But imo, Garou. It's at the top of the genre, while imo, neogeo shmups aren't as good as the best. Neoturf is fantastic too, but different.

Yousefb

Oh baby Garou is to freaking smooth! Love that animation. As for that stage I haven't come across any framerate issues myself.

What does everyone reccomend for the display settings? I have it on 150/130 and A2 filter.

deleted

any more expressions on garou and a certain stage lag?

Bought it - haven't been on that stage yet, but so far it's playing really steady in handheld mode.

Never played the game. Pretty cool that most attacks work through quarter circle without half circle and chargers - if I read the manual right.

Edit: Oh and visually it's breathtaking for a 2D game from that era. Night and day to KoF98 which is the other SNK fighter I bought so far.

Will probably get Garou tomorrow after I get a few more gaming items on my playlist wrapped up, too many great games out between both Switch and PS4.

Blazing Star is soooooo good, I wish I could have played it years ago. Is there any deeper scoring to it besides chaining as many basic enemy clusters as you can with your charge shot?

Also I can't get enough of the Neo Geo 'Pro Gear spec 330mega' boot up screen and its soothing little jingle, pure bliss.

sfried

Enjoying Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I do wish there was a practice mode or some tutorials. I'm trying to get a the hang of handling Rock Howard but his moves aren't as flexible as Terry's or Futaba's.

Bought my first Neo Geo game on Switch today, Garou.
Really want to play it for the first time.
Same here. Wish now there was a primer video of this game.
What does everyone reccomend for the display settings? I have it on 150/130 and A2 filter.

I recommend disabling the filter altogether. Note: The filter is enabled by default, on the lowest settings (00). Make sure to switch it to OFF for the crispest, sharpest image.

Well , caved in and got blazing star and neo turf masters. Both awesome but neo turf masters is just perfect arcade golf! And so many holes for an arcade game, it's gonna last me a long while!

Great purchases!

Glowsquid

Blazing Star is soooooo good, I wish I could have played it years ago. Is there any deeper scoring to it besides chaining as many basic enemy clusters as you can with your charge shot?

yes

Now we come to the more intricate techniques, the ones related to increasing the number of on-screen objects and bullets. Spheres with wings, known as event items, are the answer for this. Event items appear from time to time and are apparently useless, but there are two ways of exploiting them. First method: release a sphere (any color), take it and refrain from shooting until you hear a sound cue as it leaves the screen; the next sphere will be larger and will contain a kanji inside; take it and all enemies destroyed with the regular shot will be converted into power-ups. Second method: keep releasing spheres but don’t take them; each successive color represents a multiplier that grows from ×2 (yellow) to ×128 (rainbow); take the rainbow sphere to apply the highest multiplier on all destroyed enemies. Long story short, rank is the answer to get more enemies/objects on screen. Rank is influenced by everything but is more affected by collecting successive power-ups. The more Ps you take the higher the aggressiveness of enemies and bosses. Therefore, method one above (the kanji event item) is the main source of rank boost because it allows lots of Ps to be collected. Allied with strategic use of the rainbow sphere, high rank play is the only way to achieve higher scores. It takes lots of practice and environment control because sometimes those damn items will float into walls or out of the screen before you can get to them.

("rank" in arcade parlance means "dynamic difficulty")

Neff

Oh baby Garou is to freaking smooth! Love that animation. As for that stage I haven't come across any framerate issues myself.

The graphics fall to bits on the third round of Terry's stage. It's very obvious, or at least it is on mine. I'm curious to see if anyone else is getting this, because if they aren't then I should get my Switch looked at.

D.Lo

Yeah I'm seeing performance issues in Garou. Slowdown and glitches where there were none in the original.

I would also KILL for a scan lines filter with no blur filter.

Yeah I'm seeing performance issues in Garou. Slowdown and glitches where there were none in the original.

I would also KILL for a scan lines filter with no blur filter.

Not doubting you, but can someone give an exact rundown of the issues? Hopefully Hamster gets on this, but I'll probably get it anyway if the issues aren't too bad.

Phatcorns

Those who are familiar with Shock Troopers: is there any slight slow down? There were some in the Wii version but I'm only familiar with the arcade version of 2.

There's substantial slowdown in the 2 player co-op on the switch version. I haven't played it on anything else before so I don't know what the original neo geo game was like.

meppi

There's substantial slowdown in the 2 player co-op on the switch version. I haven't played it on anything else before so I don't know what the original neo geo game was like.

The original also had some frame rate issues. Quite a few Neo Geo games did in fact.

brainpann

Been playing some Neo Geo on my Switch and just want to chime in how pleasantly surprised I am on how well the control stick works for Garou and other games that I'd normally use a d-pad in. I typically play Garou on my actual Neo-Geo but I'll be damned the stick works pretty well.

Rezbit

Garou is really smooth and the animation is great. Hope they tidy up some of the visual bugs. Holy moly it's hard though, that ramp up in the third fight!

Memory

Bought my first Neo Geo game on Switch today, Garou.
Really want to play it for the first time.

any more expressions on garou and a certain stage lag?

Bought it - haven't been on that stage yet, but so far it's playing really steady in handheld mode.

Never played the game. Pretty cool that most attacks work through quarter circle without half circle and chargers - if I read the manual right.

Edit: Oh and visually it's breathtaking for a 2D game from that era. Night and day to KoF98 which is the other SNK fighter I bought so far.

Will probably get Garou tomorrow after I get a few more gaming items on my playlist wrapped up, too many great games out between both Switch and PS4.

Also I can't get enough of the Neo Geo 'Pro Gear spec 330mega' boot up screen and its soothing little jingle, pure bliss.

Enjoying Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I do wish there was a practice mode or some tutorials. I'm trying to get a the hang of handling Rock Howard but his moves aren't as flexible as Terry's or Futaba's.

I recommend disabling the filter altogether. Note: The filter is enabled by default, on the lowest settings (00). Make sure to switch it to OFF for the crispest, sharpest image.

I forgot that bosses are unplayable in the MVS version of Garou without a code.

Garou is so good

I'm so shit at it ;-;

Garou plays great. Had a lot of fun with it last night.

Garou is really smooth and the animation is great. Hope they tidy up some of the visual bugs. Holy moly it's hard though, that ramp up in the third fight!

Quick Garou PSA for those of you may have missed it in the Manual:
To access Survival Mode, press Y,X,B,A & R all at the same time on the title screen.
Survival mode is one round per fight and has random item drops to mix it up a bit. Its a nice change from arcade and local sessions.

Does anyone know if this version has a way to play bosses?

Been playing some Neo Geo on my Switch and just want to chime in how pleasantly surprised I am on how well the control stick works for Garou and other games that I'd normally use a d-pad in. I typically play Garou on my actual Neo-Geo but I'll be damned the stick works pretty well.

Agreed, on blazing star control with the stick is great!

Thanks guys for convincing me on getting blazing star and neo turf masters. There's really something about arcade games that fits perfectly with the concept of the switch. I think I'm going to follow a one credit rule once I get more acquainted to the gameplay of each game so that I force myself to play these games in short bursts of 1 or 3 credits trying to get each time further and further instead of just burning through credits to finish the games.

I've only had time to get a few rounds of Garou so far but the port seems really good. I haven't encountered any graphical glitches yet.

This seems perfect on the switch...looks absolutely awesome on the the handheld screen. Also, I'm finding the specials way easier to pull off when I have the joycons in the grip for some reason. Not sure why that is...thumb placement I guess. Tabletop mode is now my go to for fighting games on switch.

Next week is Galaxy Fight. Already showing on the japanese eShop.

Edit: Motws animations are easily the best SNK ever did, before going bankrupt. But it sure came at a price and that is the sprites are actually tiny compared to say Art of Fighting 3. But the game has that weird atmosphere I can't explain that draws me back in everytime.Btw NEO_G who is part now of SNK, always came over to playtesting motw when he was still at Capcom (working on 3rd Strike). What a weird twist of history.

Quick Garou PSA for those of you may have missed it in the Manual:
To access Survival Mode, press Y,X,B,A & R all at the same time on the title screen.
Survival mode is one round per fight and has random item drops to mix it up a bit. Its a nice change from arcade and local sessions.

Does anyone know if this version has a way to play bosses?
Yeah the old codes work.

Highlight Dong Hwan, hold R button (or whatever Start is mapped to) and input the following code: up, up, down, down, up, down to get Grant.

Highlight Jae Hoon, hold R button and input the following code: down, down, up, up, down, up for Kain.

sibarraz

Banned
Next week is Galaxy Fight. Already showing on the japanese eShop.

Edit: Motws animations are easily the best SNK ever did, before going bankrupt. But it sure came at a price and that is the sprites are actually tiny compared to say Art of Fighting 3. But the game has that weird atmosphere I can't explain that draws me back in everytime.Btw NEO_G who is part now of SNK, always came over to playtesting motw when he was still at Capcom (working on 3rd Strike). What a weird twist of history.

The thing that I most love about Garou is that the game is SNK's answer to third strike, but SNK instead of making a cheap clone, decided to do their best effort that SNK was capable of doing state of the art 2d games, which is more impressive considering that the neo geo was a 9 years old hardware by that point, 6 years older than the cps3.

That rivalry was the best that could have happened to the genre, I hope to see it one more time

Tizoc

Rock is low tier in garou btw

F31 Leopard

My current Switch SNK collection.
SKghsRz.jpg

I really want them to bring KoF XI because it's my favorite of the series. SvC Chaos would be nice too.

Neff

The thing that I most love about Garou is that the game is SNK's answer to third strike, but SNK instead of making a cheap clone, decided to do their best effort that SNK was capable of doing state of the art 2d games, which is more impressive considering that the neo geo was a 9 years old hardware by that point, 6 years older than the cps3.

That rivalry was the best that could have happened to the genre, I hope to see it one more time

I remember reading somewhere that the Garou team was aware that it might be one of the last games SNK ever made, and Garou was intended to be a respectful tribute to Capcom and their fighting games.

I've only had time to get a few rounds of Garou so far but the port seems really good. I haven't encountered any graphical glitches yet.

This seems perfect on the switch...looks absolutely awesome on the the handheld screen. Also, I'm finding the specials way easier to pull off when I have the joycons in the grip for some reason. Not sure why that is...thumb placement I guess. Tabletop mode is now my go to for fighting games on switch.

You guys don't notice the graphic glitch between rounds in the lower part where the credits are displayed? Also the sound seems weird in the cutscenes between matches, but I don't have the original to compare. Other than that it plays and looks amazing.

Getting some love from Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/05/12/garou-mark-of-the-wolves-is-the-perfect-game-for-the-nintendo-switch/#5852d99c32db

Memory

Yeah the old codes work.

Highlight Dong Hwan, hold R button (or whatever Start is mapped to) and input the following code: up, up, down, down, up, down to get Grant.

Highlight Jae Hoon, hold R button and input the following code: down, down, up, up, down, up for Kain.

Thank you.

sibarraz

Banned
I remember reading somewhere that the Garou team was aware that it might be one of the last games SNK ever made, and Garou was intended to be a respectful tribute to Capcom and their fighting games.

Could be seen that way, I take it more as SNK saying "You think that you are great by making third strike? hold my beer for a second

I really want them to bring KoF XI because it's my favorite of the series. SvC Chaos would be nice too.

Not a Neo Geo game.

Could be seen that way, I take it more as SNK saying "You think that you are great by making third strike? hold my beer for a second

But 3rd Strike is better than Garou though. I'm not saying Garou is a bad game, it just isn't better than 3rd Strike. I do love both games though.

mstevens

Is there a neogeo fighting game that is especially friendly to talentless, fighting game noobs like myself? I've always had an interest in the genre but haven't been able to get over the learning curve. Need a baby's first fighting game that isn't smash bros.

Top Bottom