• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda: Spirit Tracks really coming this Dec. 07? The least hyped zelda in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
What is this?

No new media?
no Hype?
No follow-up to anything that has been shown?

It will supposedly be released in less than 2 months and it's like it is not going to happen, I know many people didn't "love" PH but it's not like the series is dead on Handhelds, is it?

Was minish cap as hypeless back in its day as ST today?

any thoughts?

darkwings

Banned
Yeah I agree that it is the least hyped Zelda in history, but it is Nintendos own fault. The game looks exactly like PH with the exception that Link trades a boat to a train. My expectations are very low.

Come to think of it...I don't remember much in the way of hype for Minish Cap or the "Oracle" games. I think the attitude is that the name Zelda sort of hypes itself? Who know...I'll probably pick it up, but honestly, PH turned me off enough to prevent me from getting excited about it.

Vhalyar

NinjaMouse said:
Come to think of it...I don't remember much in the way of hype for Minish Cap or the "Oracle" games. I think the attitude is that the name Zelda sort of hypes itself? Who know...I'll probably pick it up, but honestly, PH turned me off enough to prevent me from getting excited about it.

Pretty sure I saw ads for the Oracle games in theaters.

OnPoint

There certainly hasn't been much hype, has there? While I'm normally a 'day one' sort of Zelda player, I'll be sitting this one out for a bit. Maybe I'll get to it someday, but it appears to have too much in common with PH for my tastes.

Aru

I'm not hyped at all.

PH was disappointing. I want a classic control option for movement and sword attack. And seeing Link driving a train makes me want to puke.

Well, that won't prevent me from trying the game (and maybe finishing it) but I have pretty low expectations.

The last thing I wanted from Zelda was another Phantom Hourglass, and this one seems poised to repeat the same mistakes. I'm a huge Zelda fan, but this is one I think I can stand to skip out on. The only way I'd consider playing it is if I heard surprisingly good impressions from someone whose taste in Zelda games I trust implicitly.

Magypsy23

Banned
I preordered the Gamestation Exclusive Limited Tin Edition which has mysteriously disappeared from the site now. I'll get the jpn version when it's out too.

Jefklak

darkwings said:
Yeah I agree that it is the least hyped Zelda in history, but it is Nintendos own fault. The game looks exactly like PH with the exception that Link trades a boat to a train. My expectations are very low.

Pretty much this.
Plus PH was a ltitle bit disappointing. Still great though.

duckroll

I loved PH, and I'm definitely looking forward to this. I just don't feel that Zelda games really need "hype" in the same way some other games do. Mario doesn't always have hype for every title too. It'll still end up selling fine, and after it comes out lots of people will play and talk about it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i'll wait for reviews.

i don't hold much hope for it to be honest. PH left me a little disenchanted by the Zelda franchise.

i hope the new Wii Zelda cures that.

goomba

Banned
It looks too much of a rehash of PH , which people didnt like much anyway.

Link driving a train is a new low too. An Airship may have been cool but no, its a train.

GhaleonQ

There was a topic about this before (which isn't to say you shouldn't have made this one) and it mostly boiled down to Nintendo's awful marketing (is it the same in Japan?) and Phantom Hourglass accumulating a lot of hate (it's my least favorite, too).

Trains are awesome, though.

darkwings

Banned
duckroll said:
I loved PH, and I'm definitely looking forward to this. I just don't feel that Zelda games really need "hype" in the same way some other games do. Mario doesn't always have hype for every title too. It'll still end up selling fine, and after it comes out lots of people will play and talk about it.

Well I agree, but hasn't zelda been selling worse and worse in Japan with every new game? I could be wrong.

Luigiv

Yah it's a bit of a bummer, I actually like PH (though I do admit it had major flaws). If ST has similar styled dungeons to PH and no overly bad design choices (I'm looking at you temple of the ocean king), it should be right up my ally.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Phantom Hourglass to me was the best Zelda since Majora Mask. I'm very much looking forward to this.

duckroll

Jefklak said:
'cause it's on DS?

It also sold more than all other handheld versions of Zelda. Even if you add the 2 Oracle games together, they couldn't beat it. In Japan, Phantom Hourglass is the best selling Zelda since OoT.

OoT = 1.14 million
PH = 902k

Everything else in-between has sold less than that.

OMG Aero

It isn't just a Zelda thing, Nintendo has this bizarre strategy with their games now where they just don't market them at all.
I mean, Mario and Luigi 3 came out here last week but if it wasn't for GAF then I wouldn't even know it was out. Same thing goes for Lost Winds 2, a sequel to one of the best wiiware games. I had no idea when the games was coming out until I saw a thread on GAF which said the game was out that day.

I think Nintendo must have gotten complaints about how they used to talk about games too early so that you were waiting ages to play the game so they now decide to not talk about the games until they are out.

E-phonk

Banned
Loved the controls (for a DS game), hated the setting.

That castle was the worst idea ever, and I didn't like the boat parts either. I had most fun just exploring the islands. Don't know, not hyped either about this one.

duckroll said:
It also sold more than all other handheld versions of Zelda. Even if you add the 2 Oracle games together, they couldn't beat it. In Japan, Phantom Hourglass is the best selling Zelda since OoT.

OoT = 1.14 million
PH = 902k

Everything else in-between has sold less than that.

This news makes me very sad.

Yeah, I'll buy Spirit Tracks cause I have to. Doesn't mean I will enjoy it...its probably the least hyped I have ever felt for a Zelda game (Crossbow Training not included).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
actually, i really should clarify my earlier statement about PH.

it really was an excellent Zelda game... until i had to go through that damn ocean temple for the hundredth time. i never finished it because of that, despite being very close to the end.

Red

OMG Aero said:
It isn't just a Zelda thing, Nintendo has this bizarre strategy with their games now where they just don't market them at all.
I mean, Mario and Luigi 3 came out here last week but if it wasn't for GAF then I wouldn't even know it was out. Same thing goes for Lost Winds 2, a sequel to one of the best wiiware games. I had no idea when the games was coming out until I saw a thread on GAF which said the game was out that day.

I think Nintendo must have gotten complaints about how they used to talk about games too early so that you were waiting ages to play the game so they now decide to not talk about the games until they are out.
They're too busy buying remote controlled sharks to worry about advertising.

I mean, what else would they be doing with all that money?

AniHawk

Scrow said:
actually, i really should clarify my earlier statement about PH.

it really was an excellent Zelda game... until i had to go through that damn ocean temple for the hundredth time. i never finished it because of that, despite being very close to the end.

I thought the dungeons were fine. Too short, but there were some new puzzles and that was neat. My problems were:

WORST ZELDA DUNGEON EVER. Hell, one of the worst ideas for a level ever. Seeing it in a Zelda game made it especially painful.
-Overworld from TWW making a return with even less freedom and forces you to pay even more attention to the tedium of traveling. When I played TWW, I could set sail in a general direction, switch over to The Simpsons, and be where I wanted to be at the commercial break. But no, you're on a set path all the time. The overworld is the worst overworld in any Zelda.
-This might not bug many other people, but the characters were worse than TWW. They spent all this time making Tetra a cool character in TWW and they butcher her in about four or five syllables. She is not the damsel in distress. For me, seeing such a small aspect of the game so totally screwed up is a sign of how totally Nintendo missed the mark. EAD's DS games, Mario Kart aside, have been really subpar.

duckroll

Okay I'm looking at a list of games which sold over a million in Japan. Looks like the final numbers are:

Zelda (NES) - 1.69 million
Zelda OoT (N64) - 1.46 million
Zelda LttP (SNES) - 1.16 million

This would mean that Phantom Hourglass is the 4th best selling Zelda in the ENTIRE series. Suck it down haters! :lol

AniHawk

duckroll said:
This would mean that Phantom Hourglass is the 4th best selling Zelda in the ENTIRE series. Suck it down haters! :lol

Meh. As long as the console games stay more NA-focused, I'm fine.

duckroll

AniHawk said:
Meh. As long as the console games stay more NA-focused, I'm fine.

Hey, I'm all for both versions. I'm just pointing out that people going "oh no one cares anymore because PH sucked" are pretty much just talking to themselves. :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
Okay I'm looking at a list of games which sold over a million in Japan. Looks like the final numbers are:

You missed Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES)- 1.61M

AniHawk

duckroll said:
Hey, I'm all for both versions. I'm just pointing out that people going "oh no one cares anymore because PH sucked" are pretty much just talking to themselves. :D
Yeah, pretty much. The game did tremendously well in the US too. Probably didn't beat Twilight Princess- that game's done about 3m-3.5m+ here, but it's probably the best selling handheld Zelda since Link's Awakening.

You know the weird thing? The game was announced just 7 months ago, but I feel like we've known about it for well over a year.

OnPoint

Log4Girlz said:
Its Zelda Spirit Tracks, it sounds so exciting, I'm so hyped :/

One of the worst names ever.

I know, I almost expect the cover to depict a native american styled Link crouched down in a forest pointing at footprints left by ghostly animals.

AniHawk

OnPoint said:
I know, I almost expect the cover to depict a native american styled Link crouched down in a forest pointing at footprints left by ghostly animals.

Oh man, that would be totally awesome.

darkwings

Banned
AniHawk said:
I thought the dungeons were fine. Too short, but there were some new puzzles and that was neat. My problems were:

WORST ZELDA DUNGEON EVER. Hell, one of the worst ideas for a level ever. Seeing it in a Zelda game made it especially painful.
-Overworld from TWW making a return with even less freedom and forces you to pay even more attention to the tedium of traveling. When I played TWW, I could set sail in a general direction, switch over to The Simpsons, and be where I wanted to be at the commercial break. But no, you're on a set path all the time. The overworld is the worst overworld in any Zelda.
-This might not bug many other people, but the characters were worse than TWW. They spent all this time making Tetra a cool character in TWW and they butcher her in about four or five syllables. She is not the damsel in distress. For me, seeing such a small aspect of the game so totally screwed up is a sign of how totally Nintendo missed the mark. EAD's DS games, Mario Kart aside, have been really subpar.

Pretty much this. Hopefully train master Link is better than boat Link.

edit: And I am just tired of the dungeon item beats dungeon boss mechanic.

wRATH2x

Banned
duckroll said:

Thats just in Japan, worldwide I'm sure it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom