• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda: Spirit Tracks really coming this Dec. 07? The least hyped zelda in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ydahs said:
I think it's due to the fact that everyone is anticipating Zelda Wii. Well, for me anyway.

From what I've been reading that one could possibly take a while more than we're anticipating. I'm glad we're at least going to have a handheld version in the meantime, and that's about it. I'm also not very hyped.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Phantom hour glass by itself was a solid game.

phantom hour glass next to other zeldas was pretty bad.

hope ST is better than PH,

will not buy day 1, first ever for zelda game.

controls ok. some puzzles clever. somehow still not good.

no new items. no desire to explore.

zelda games in general need better sidequests, collectibles and rewards. MM = good.

8am
still have not slept

Davey Cakes

I think the term "solid" is PERFECT for describing Phantom Hourglass.

It's not a very good game, and especially isn't even close to the top-tier in terms of Zelda, but it's still a solid gameplay experience.

I'm in the "Haters of the Ocean King Temple" party. That part just dragged the game on, for me. I also didn't enjoy the sailing, though the approach taken was better than it was in WW.

Spirit Tracks is underhyped because PH was received, at most, in lukewarm fashion. A direct sequel to only a decent Zelda game obviously won't garner much hype.

gamergirly said:
I was referring as to when their advertising usually starts. With Microsoft or Sony, you know a title is coming LONG before it gets released

I know i'm gonna get roasted for this, but what's the point in preaching to the choir? Nintendo titles tend to sell like gangbusters to the faithful and the casual regardless of hype.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kandrick said:
If anything, i am more hyped for Spirit Tracks than i was for PH.

same. i was very skeptical of the control-scheme before PH came out; after playing it, i'm sold. i also think conflating the way ST looks with a direct connection to the perceived quality of PH is a bit hasty, since no one has been through any of the dungeons, or really had a chance to dig in with extended impressions.

could see a quality jump comparable to the transition from MARIO & LUIGI: PIT to BIS. you never know. just because the games have a similar aesthetic doesn't mean they're exactly the same.

amtentori said:
Phantom hour glass by itself was a solid game.

phantom hour glass next to other zeldas was pretty bad.

hope ST is better than PH,

will not buy day 1, first ever for zelda game.

controls ok. some puzzles clever. somehow still not good.

no new items. no desire to explore.

zelda games in general need better sidequests, collectibles and rewards. MM = good.

8am
still have not slept

That's one thing that MM had and that's awesome sidequests. ALTTP, MM, and TWW had great sidequests from the main story.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I know i'm gonna get roasted for this, but what's the point in preaching to the choir? Nintendo titles tend to sell like gangbusters to the faithful and the casual regardless of hype.

Im going to buy it :D

Magypsy23

Banned
GCX said:
spirittracks.jpg

I quess that's the box art for the regular edition too.

I don't really like it. At least Link and his slave aren't about to be run over by the train in that one.

Fuck all of the haters with a Spiked Shield +5 up their rectal areas.

This is the only game I'm looking forward to this fall.

Seriously, fuck you.

Keep in mind we were also staring at the same old pictures and videos from E3 for NSBMWii until like...a couple of weeks ago. And that game comes out in less than a month, and one could argue is going to be infinitely more successful than Spirit Tracks.

It's just what Nintendo does. And it somehow consistently works for them

NotWii

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I haven't been following ST at all, but if the dungeons end up being even half as sucky as the ones in PH I'm not interested.
Actually PH had really good dungeons if you ignored the stupid repeat phantom dungeon

Grampasso

In another thread if I remember well there was someone asking when was the last time Nintendo "delivered" with a portable Zelda, and as I said in my reply in that thread I'm not so hyped for the new DS Zelda, the last one I really liked was the Ages/Seasons one(s).

upandaway

SirPenguin said:
Keep in mind we were also staring at the same old pictures and videos from E3 for NSBMWii until like...a couple of weeks ago. And that game comes out in less than a month, and one could argue is going to be infinitely more successful than Spirit Tracks.

It's just what Nintendo does. And it somehow consistently works for them
I don't think there's any fault to this at all. Sure, now there isn't anything, but after the game is released, Nintendo sure as fuck won't let it go silently.

I'd argue that it works better when you tell someone about a game, and you can tell him "you can buy it now", rather than tell him "it will be out by <random insignificant date barring the actual release>, remember this obscure date and go buy it then".

batbeg

I think it looks pretty good, to be honest, but... I won't be buying it. I couldn't get accustomed to the control scheme in PH at all. Every couple of months I try my hand at it again, give up in an hour, and the cycle starts anew. It would be a waste of my money to buy this, which saddens me :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I enjoyed PH, meaning I want this, but I actually forgot it's coming out. Lack of media is to blame imo but I don't see it as a big problem. It's actually refreshing to not have much expectations of a game and only be reminded of it next to release.

ksamedi

I'm pretty hyped. I didn't mind the Ocean Temple as much as others here. I didn't think the dungeon was mind blowing but I had no problem going trough the floors again because every new item gave you a new way to progress trough the dungeon. Nintendo will probably not go that route with Spirit tracks though. What I'm most excited about is the new items that will be in this Zelda. PH made some great use of the touchscreen for the various items you got hold of but I'd like to see some more creative unexpected items this time around. In that sense I think ST is going to deliver. I hope they improve the music too. The music in PH was kind of bland.

Wii said:
Actually PH had really good dungeons if you ignored the stupid repeat phantom dungeon
No it didn't. A good Zelda dungeon is itself one giant puzzle where completing tasks in one area alters things in another area. PH dungeons were linear crap. Complete mini puzzle, move to next room, complete mini puzzle, move to next room, complete zzzzzz

ZeroGravity

Phantom Hourglass was awful. I'll wait for reviews/impressions to see if this game can cut out all the bullshit from PH before I even think about giving it a shot.

Dineren

Banned
I'm looking forward to it, I thought PH was great. The Temple of the Ocean King dragged a bit, but if this is going back to the more traditional dungeons I'm sure I'll enjoy it quite a bit.

NotWii

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
No it didn't. A good Zelda dungeon is itself one giant puzzle where completing tasks in one area alters things in another area. PH dungeons were linear crap. Complete mini puzzle, move to next room, complete mini puzzle, move to next room, complete zzzzzz
I remember the mini puzzles being very clever like putting bombs on the wind jets to elevate them to hit an elevated switch.

I agree with the linearity gripe, but every it seems every Zelda game since TWW has had super linear dungeons?

Honestly, I almost forgot about this game. Loved PH to death. Everything except for the whole going through the same dungeon a million times. Although that was a fun experience in a way.

But yeah, loved the DS controls. Got it pre-ordered right now so it'll come and be there for me in time for a lull in gaming.

I liked PH. I will never understand how anyone in the development team could've thought the temple of the ocean king would be a good idea, but it didn't bother me very much in the end. So I'm really looking forward to ST -- even though I sure am not hyped, because Nintendo apparently does not want me to be hyped for one of their games ever again.

slaughterking said:
I will never understand how anyone in the development team could've thought the temple of the ocean king would be a good idea, but it didn't bother me very much in the end.

You put my feelings into better words!

Oli

I played through all of Phantom Hourglass without once being bothered by the Temple of the Phantom King. It was the only challenging portion of the game, so I appreciated it.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to Spirit Tracks, despite the hate. New Zelda is always a good thing.

WesFX

Neo Member
It's a handheld Zelda. Things are all as usual.

I think the extra media Phantom Hourglass got was all concerning the concern people had about the touch-screen only controls. That's gone now, so we're back to the usual.

The handheld titles always get commercials, and can sell on the fact that it's new Legend of Zelda.

Wii said:
Nope, they were utterly unmemorable, interchangeable, and unbearably simple.

Actually I think one of the biggest problems with PH was how generic and dull the graphics were (and this is from someone who loves Wind Waker).

wRATH2x

Banned
I don't have the world wide numbers, but I do remember Twilight Princess ranking 3rd or 4th despite it's lack of popularity in Japan. I could be wrong though.

GCX

Wrath2X said:
I don't have the world wide numbers, but I do remember Twilight Princess ranking 3rd or 4th despite it's lack of popularity in Japan. I could be wrong though.
I wouldn't be surprised since it was a Wii launch title and probably did a million or two on Cube too.

Plus it's a great game, despite what gaf tries to tell me.

Mudkips

Banned
I don't understand all the PH hate. It's a great game.

I also don't understand why there's a train in my Zelda.

Spirit Tracks is clearly the lead in to the steampunk zelda game launching with Wii HD.

kpeezy

Banned
Mudkips said:
I don't understand all the PH hate. It's a great game.

I also don't understand why there's a train in my Zelda.

Spirit Tracks is clearly the lead in to the steampunk zelda game launching with Wii HD.

ballin

I can't believe people had trouble with the Ocean Temple... It was so easy on the second and following runthroughs that it didn't bother me one bit. Cool game, cool exploring, lots of mini games/side quests. Will buy Spirit Tracks.

Also, I can't believe someone would quit the game because they didn't figure out that you could blow into the microphone. I would have thought a Zelda fan would have put a little more thought into it.

edit: I thought the controls were great and they didn't hinder me in any way at all, ever.

radioheadrule83 said:
Dude you could have coughed into the mic or even just tapped the mic hole or something

I was at home so I was like "DUUUDE GIVE ME THE THING DUUUUUDE"

Tried both, along with blowing; didn't work. You really have to shout to get that asshole to sell you the thing you need, otherwise he says you're not loud enough. And even coughing/blowing into your DS in public makes you look like a dumbass if you do it repeatedly.

flintstryker said:
I will laugh when this game releases and ends up being the best portable Zelda game.

Considering that Nintendo have still yet to come close to topping the very first handheld Zelda game, I seriously doubt they ever will.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
So sad I couldn't even bring myself to finish PH or have any interest in playing this one, just to boring and technically dated after playing games like Fable2.

Wrath2X said:

The game had sold 4.52 million copies on the Wii as of March 1, 2008, and 1.32 million on the GameCube as of March 31, 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_twilight_princess

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080425e.pdf#page=6

According to ZU.net:

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/the-best-selling-zelda-titles/

Combined Title Sales
7.60 – Ocarina of Time
6.51 – The Legend of Zelda
6.51 – A Link to the Past
6.33 – Twilight Princess
6.05 – Link’s Awakening
4.55 – The Wind Waker
4.38 – The Adventure of Link
4.27 – Phantom Hourglass
3.36 – Majora’s Mask

2.14 – Link’s Crossbow Training
1.90 – Four Swords
1.34 – The Minish Cap
0.30 – Four Swords Adventures

Zelda:TP was actually a hell of a hit in the series....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zessSS1TH8o

:lol

The video makes a point, "They're fucking focusing on the casuals again!" Which is true, because as pointed out in this thread, PH sold more than TP (Wii) and WW (GC) edit: In America(?) I am a big fan of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, but they were probably rushed. I'll be playing Spirit Tracks. It seems the hardcore gamers want the 'hardcore' version of Zelda on DS, which is understandable to an extent but step outside of that concept and just enjoy it.

Zihark

Numbers gamergirly posted are more then a year old. I think by now TP has passed both those games and is number 2 on the list. I have no excitement for ST, which is weird since I love Zelda- it just points out to how much I hated PH. Besides I'm more interested in Zelda for the Wii.

OMG Aero

Ben2749 said:
Tried both, along with blowing; didn't work. You really have to shout to get that asshole to sell you the thing you need, otherwise he says you're not loud enough. And even coughing/blowing into your DS in public makes you look like a dumbass if you do it repeatedly.
Erm, no you don't. Your DS microphone must be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom