• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda: Spirit Tracks really coming this Dec. 07? The least hyped zelda in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be some kind of freak because my main complaint about PH was that the main dungeon was too easy and I almost never had to go back in and use/improve my map notes to make it to the goal on time.

I guess I just like the use of the stylus for mapping purposes.

lowlylowlycook said:
I must be some kind of freak because my main complaint about PH was that the main dungeon was too easy and I almost never had to go back in and use/improve my map notes to make it to the goal on time.

I guess I just like the use of the stylus for mapping purposes.

Huh?

PH selling more than TP is irrelevant. PH is hands down the best selling handheld game, which is what matters.

Though I won't be surprised (and actively hope) PH's success leaks into the mainline console games.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I was vehemently against a stylus controlled Zelda, I thought it represented everything that was wrong with present day Nintendo.

Then I played the mother fucker and was put in my place. I haven’t been that excited to return to a Zelda to make more progress since OoT. It completely renewed my interest in the series.

Day 1.

I liked Phantom Hourglass, but I really am not looking forward to more of the same. I had been excited for a continuation of Wind Waker's storyline, so seeing it take place in an alternate world with no progression in the Wind Waker world was disappointing. I also realized that, as frustrated as I got in the Ocean King's palace, it was the only dungeon I actually enjoyed. I loved finding the shortcuts on later runs. The other dungeons were all bland and had no personality.

Phantom Hourglass was teeeeeerrrrrrrible. Not because of the stylus controls (those were fine), but because of the awful design. Dungeons were the worst and least memorable I've ever played in the series. As someone who actually liked sailing about and exploring The Great Ocean in WW, the ocean in PH was boring and lame. Story and characters were as interesting as wet mulch.

Spirit Tracks looks the same.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Why is there so much train hate?

Trains are awesome here's proof.

With a train you can:
  • Travel through time
  • Attract bandits and have cool shootouts
  • Run over cows
  • Fire artillery
  • Twist your curly mustache as you tie a damsel to the tracks
  • Wear a sick hat and overalls
  • Run train
  • Get to know your grandpa better (with scale models)
  • Be a conductor! That makes you the pilot of the ground
  • Poop precariously going hundreds of kilometers per hour
  • Travel via mag lev system (how boss does that sound?)
  • In Japan, accost young women in a consequence free environment
  • In America, see 'bandits' above
  • Move freight and people in an economical and environmentally conscious way (fuck yea!)

Stop train hate.

Jackano

I think ST will do better than PH in all possible ways. But it doesn't need hype like in the old days, starting back to 2006 for example. Come on it's 2009 and it's on DS, why do you search a SNES/GBA or even GC (lol) commercial-pattern? Plus the Zelda web community is actually lame and live in the past, crying at "Link on a train!" and bitching about an artwork for the Zelda Wii shovelware instead of looking 7 weeks ahead. I don't care, I'm happy to see ST coming so soon!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Phantom Hourglass was teeeeeerrrrrrrible. Not because of the stylus controls (those were fine), but because of the awful design. Dungeons were the worst and least memorable I've ever played in the series. As someone who actually liked sailing about and exploring The Great Ocean in WW, the ocean in PH was boring and lame. Story and characters were as interesting as wet mulch.

Yep Yep Yep and Yep.

I had no idea Phantom Hourglass generated so much hate. I loved it. It really could have done without constant trips back to the Ocean King Temple, but other than that I loved it.

I couldn't tolerate Phantom Hourglass. I could get by the terrible presentation, but the whole game was so dumbed-down, I was embarrassed to be wasting time playing it. Not only are you constantly told where to go and what to do, but the map design essentially forces you in one direction, and leaves basically nothing to the imagination.
You were actually able to get stuck in old Zelda games, but "Iron Fist" Miyamoto doesn't seem to want players to ever walk away from a game these days.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heh, as someone who thought PH was garbage, I think I'm probably the only one that feels slightly more interested in ST than I was with PH before it released. Not a day 1 thing, but an eventual purchase, some time in the coming years.

Now, in fairness to the game, NSMB: Wii barely had any hype whatsoever until like a week ago, so maybe people just need new screens or something.

Oli

Ca1amity said:

With a train you can:
  • Travel through time
  • Run over cows
  • Fire artillery
  • Run train
  • Move freight and people in an economical and environmentally conscious way (fuck yea!)

Stop train hate.

So awesome! :lol
I approve!

bridegur

Phantom Hourglass was incredibly boring. The controls were fine, but the lack of exploration and variety were a drag. Plus, returning to that dungeon over and over was a snooze. I'll wait to see what people think of this one before giving it a shot.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Scrow said:
i'll wait for not-fanboy GAF's impressions.

i don't hold much hope for it to be honest. PH left me a little disenchanted by the Zelda franchise.

i hope the new Wii Zelda cures that.

This and fixed.
To me, PH's controls were fine, but game was sooooo boring, a drag to play.

To the OP:
December '07? I don't get the joke.

theluma

Meh, screw the haters. PH was a damn good game and Spirit Tracks looks just as good.

D-Pad said:
PH had some of the most BORING music I've ever heard in a Zelda game, EVER.

Every island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57DtwDQfTSM
Every Dungeon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGM-Q4Q63TQ
(seemingly) Everywhere else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6fhM-Ydgc

Please, Nintendo, at the very least give Spirit Tracks some decent music.

AHEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5RBAqziW8

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PH had a ton of problems, but not nearly as many as WW, and I wound up liking it a lot, despite thinking it had some of the weakest dungeons ever.

If ST represents a proper refinement of the PH formula, then we're in for an excellent handheld Zelda, IMHO. Perhaps one to rival Minish Cap.

Ca1amity said:

With a train you can:
  • Travel through time
  • Run over cows
  • Fire artillery
  • Run train

Stop train hate.

The only good kind of train is an armored train

http://www.flamber.ru/files/photos/1211922554/1213199378_o.jpg

And it's still not as good as a ship. And ships still aren't as good as planes. And Link flying a plane would still be retarded.

Well, there's a good chance it will be the worst Zelda in history too, so I guess it balanaces out.

Pretty frustrated by PH, and I normally LOVE Zelda games. Even double dipped on TP. Got the Cube and Wii versions.

Roto13

I love how many people are pretty much admitting that they´re going to buy it so they can bitch and moan about it later.

NeoZylom

2009_06_02_zelda_spirit_tracks.jpg

What's next? After the boat, the train, can we hope about a Nascar or an airplane?

faridmon

Razien said:
The
almost
last boss is awesome, you have to see it. just run through the dungeon (the game is pretty easy anyway) and get over with it. It is worth it.
that dungeon is frustrating because of the time limit, i fail to see how is it easy. i wish to finish it bu alas...........:(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Its pretty sad that the most Nintendo's PR can muster for this game is that it "has a train" and "link can control an ally". Nothing else really. Either this really will be the laziest Zelda sequel to the weakest Zelda game, or they're hiding a MGS2 level twist.

Neither choice is that good really....

I've become less and less compelled to play or finish Zelda games recently. I played through about 2/3 of Twilight Princess, about 1/3 of Phantom Hourglass, and I don't really care about playing Spirit Tracks at all.

[Nintex]

grandjedi6 said:
Its pretty sad that the most Nintendo's PR can muster for this game is that it "has a train" and "link can control an ally". Nothing else really. Either this really will be the laziest Zelda sequel to the weakest Zelda game, or they're hiding a MGS2 level twist.

I played the E3 demo at NoE during the summer and it was a run of the mill sequel to Phantom Hourglass. The game looked, played and sounded the same. We're all wondering why Nintendo hasn't shown anything since then. The only new thing I saw was the statue that you could move around which was more frustrating than fun. Nintendo said they were going to iron out those issues and we believed them. The train gameplay was quite boring too and I doubt the game has changed much in 6 months.

OMG Aero

grandjedi6 said:

The phantom is actually the main character after the first level. You heard it here first.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
PH ruled, TotOK wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says (I don't think it was bad at all!), drawing your ship's path ruled, touch-based fighting ruled.

I have no reservations about Spirit Tracks.

I think most of you have missed the fundamental question: the fuck is Link doing on a train.

None of you would have stood for this shit in the N64 days. You've become soft GAF.

OMG Aero

The Crimson Blur said:
I think most of you have missed the fundamental question: the fuck is Link doing on a train.

None of you would have stood for this shit in the N64 days. You've become soft GAF.
No-one seems to complain about Link being on a steam boat in Phantom Hourglass. This is just the same thing.

JaseMath

PH was an awful, awful experience for me. Never thought I'd see the day that I had to force myself to play through a Zelda game, but alas...

And now Spirit Tracks looks like more of the same PH garbage and the train seems like a ham-fisted approach at making the series seem fresh. Never thought I'd see the say when I would probably pass on a Zelda title. *sigh*

Des0lar

will learn eventually
EmCeeGramr said:

My thoughts as well.

JasonMCG said:
That's because the world is COVERED IN WATER.
Psst!

In Spirit Tracks, the world is COVERED IN LAND.

It also presumably takes place a few centuries after the events of PH, so it makes sense that if they have engines to power boats, they'll use them to power other things.

Zelda is everything to me, but PH often felt like a bit of a chore to play, I forced myself to finish it simply because I am the Zelda fanboy.

Very odd feeling for me. The sailing in WW and the stupid timed repeat dungeon thing in PH are prolly the only things in a Zelda game I've ever not enjoyed.

I hope Spirit Tracks ends up different, but I'm not sure at this point.

I'm sure they have enough developers to work on both, but I just wish they'd have fully focused everything on the console Zelda instead of getting another DS one out before it.

JaseMath

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Psst!

In Spirit Tracks, the world is COVERED IN LAND.

It also presumably takes place a few centuries after the events of PH, so it makes sense that if they have engines to power boats, they'll use them to power other things.
I guess I'm looking at it differently where the difference is that in water-covered world, you need a boat to get around, so the decision to include it made sense. Spirit Tracks has dry land, but whereas in other games we had a horse, now we have a magical train! And that (again) seems to me like a forced approach to keep a tired formula "fresh".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved PH, I'll definitely be playing this at some point in January.

JasonMCG said:
I guess I'm looking at it differently where the difference is that in water-covered world, you need a boat to get around, so the decision to include it made sense. Spirit Tracks has dry land, but whereas in other games we had a horse, now we have a magical train! And that (again) seems to me like a forced approach to keep a tired formula "fresh".
I'm thinking that's a combination of:

1) Maintaining continuity with the previous game in terms of vehicular mechanics

2) Ensuring the game world makes sense in terms of story progression

3) Difficulty in getting the DS hardware to handle the draw distance and/or camera control required to make travelling on horseback around Hyrule (?) look remotely acceptable

I really don't think you'd like Link on horseback in DS 3D.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed PH. The game was super easy, except for that one puzzle... but I still enjoyed it. I really don't want frustration when I'm riding the train somewhere. I just want something to take my mind off the damn people looking at the foreigner.

The Crimson Blur said:

This is true, the reasons behind it are obvious though. Anyone who's stuck with Nintendo throughout the whole Gamecube-Wii debacle is going to stick with them no matter what. It'll take more then a few trains to stop them.

Personally, I accept part of the blame for buying a Gamecube at launch. I was young and foolishly thought that since the N64 and Super NES had a great lineup that the Gamecube would as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom