• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

When does it open up? I've found Act 2 much more enjoyable than A1 (note that I am a Bronze Supporter, so I'm not just trolling), but I still am kind of blah about my skills. Thinking that my Witch will be using Freezing Pulse throughout her 80 levels is making me a little unenthusiastic about leveling. Sure, it'll do more damage, but it's the same animation. =|

When does stuff start to vary and get weird?

Perkel

Banned
When does it open up? I've found Act 2 much more enjoyable than A1 (note that I am a Bronze Supporter, so I'm not just trolling), but I still am kind of blah about my skills. Thinking that my Witch will be using Freezing Pulse throughout her 80 levels is making me a little unenthusiastic about leveling. Sure, it'll do more damage, but it's the same animation. =|

When does stuff start to vary and get weird?

Open up ? If you are doing freeze witch combine few things like:

Frost Wall,
Ice Spear
Power Siphon
Mines
Totems

Ice spear + channeling support is good thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tease. :/
It's not like we've gathered much information yet :lol It'll take a couple of weeks.
So the game is F2P and the packages just give you early access and some microtransaction points huh? Hmmmm considering the 25 pack. Cause Kiwis are awesome
Kiwis are awesome, and you should totally buy the 25-pack! Do it for GGG and me :3
Been wanting to play this forever never got into beta so next week will be the first time I play :D
Glad to see you in this party, Q!

Open up ? If you are doing freeze witch combine few things like:

Frost Wall,
Ice Spear
Power Siphon
Mines
Totems

Ice spear + channeling support is good thing.

I guess I'm asking whether the gems with higher base level requirements are unique skills that you'll use as main attack. Meaning: Am I going to be using my level 1 skill (albeit powered up) for the rest of the game, or will I start finding better skills?

For example, in Diablo 2 you get frost bolt to start, eventually that trees into glacial spike--which is essentially frost bolt on roids (and seemingly doable in PoE via support gems), however, I don't see Frost Bolt ever turning into Frozen Orb in PoE.

I guess I'm asking whether the gems with higher base level requirements are unique skills that you'll use as main attack. Meaning: Am I going to be using my level 1 skill (albeit powered up) for the rest of the game, or will I start finding better skills?

For example, in Diablo 2 you get frost bolt to start, eventually that trees into glacial spike--which is essentially frost bolt on roids (and seemingly doable in PoE via support gems), however, I don't see Frost Bolt ever turning into Frozen Orb in PoE.

get lesser multiple projectiles and faster projectiles for freezing pulse. Artic breath is a good skill too though it might be the most taxing skill in the game on your pc.

Once you reach level 31, you get a lot more options like totems, chain, greater multiple projectiles, more auras, etc. They also have more skills they are adding in the future. You will be still using low level spells, just with high level support gems.

List of skills: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Skills

spirity

yeah.jpg

5 monsters remaining.

Perkel

Banned

There are no worse/better skills. Each skill has its downsides or upsides and with proper gear, passive skill tree and some support gems each of those skills can be used as main weapon.

There is no Frozen Orb like in D2 but you can:

Use ice spear + fork + chaneling. That will give you spear which will split in two upon hitting first mob and each of those splitted spears will split further upon hitting next mob.
This skill will be high mana cost one but it will be vastly different than normal ice spear.
Them you can use ice spear + puncture which will puncture mob and fly further.

Also this is worth mentioning that GGG is adding new skills each 1-2 months so if you don't like few current gems with freeze power then maybe they add something different.

KKRT00

Also this is worth mentioning that GGG is adding new skills each 1-2 months so if you don't like few current gems with freeze power then maybe they add something different.

They are planning to add up to several skills per weeks after Open Beta launch and fixing it.

syko de4d

New News

Our whirlwind press tour has been a huge success so far - we had record site traffic yesterday and may break that record again today. We will certainly be ordering more game servers when we get back to New Zealand tomorrow. This news post is a quick roundup of the press coverage so far! Shacknews have posted a preview and discuss Path of Exile at length on their Weekend Confirmed podcast (starting at 91 minutes). Gamespot filmed and livestreamed an hour long interview/playthrough which is archived here. IGN posted a preview and an overview video. My Geek Review also posted a preview based on their time playing. RPAD.tv have posted an article and interview with Jonathan. Our gold supporter BurnOutBrighter has also posted an amazing thread on the NeoGAF forums. We're in awe of the amount of effort put into that post. We'll post more ongoing press coverage as it occurs. Five days to go until Open Beta!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/68430

Perkel

Banned
They are planning to add up to several skills per weeks after Open Beta launch and fixing it.

Last time (in November) they added skill Arc, supports fork, channeling and they fixed summoning skill gems.

Some freeze + lightning spells would be great.

Serrato

Waiting since a month ago. Me and my brother were gonna go through this together. This game is so awesome. They take us seriously, we take them seriously.

So.....looking through the skill gems lists. Leech life and Blood Magic together sounds awesome. Damn the gemming is this seems fun as hell.

Can Gem's effects stack at all? Say two faster projectile gems?

The same support gem won't stack, but the amount of support gems will mean that DPS can see the same increase regardless if you use another DPS increase gem.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
qFNkw.png

Which reminds me, Yoshi. How much control do you get over your unique?
I can control some things, like the base name and the direction of the stats.

Yoshichan

Heading to bed... another 7 hours of crazy PoE-related dreams inc

Justin

On Skills

In addition to skills leveling up and becoming more powerful, skills are itemized like any other item in the game meaning that better rarer versions of them can drop. Skills are subject to the same quality modifier that armor, weapons and flasks are meaning that you can find a better version of your base Freezing Pulse skill you got at the start of the game.

Using Freezing Pulse as an example 1% quality on that skill adds +3% Projectile speed. Quality caps out at 20 so a 20 quality Freezing Pulse gem would have +60% projectial speed. Each gem gets a different bonus from quality. You can also use a currency item called a "Gemcutter's Prism(GCP)" to increase the quality of a gem by 1%. GCP's are one of the rarest drops and are very valuable seeing as you are very unlikley to ever see a 20% quality gem drop off a enemy.

Rokal

I know they aren't planning on selling game content, gear, boosts, etc. and they're giving everyone plenty of character slots.

...so, what will they be selling? Not really understanding their business model.

I know they aren't planning on selling game content, gear, boosts, etc. and they're giving everyone plenty of character slots.

...so, what will they be selling? Not really understanding their business model.

Skins, Pets, Modified Effects, Services that isn't pay to win.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

At Open Beta, we will have a range of different microtransactions for sale, including many of the following:
- Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
- Cosmetic pets
- Alternate skill effects
- Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
- Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
- Guild storage
- Alternate item skins and visual effects
- Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
- Item dyes

GGG are okay with making less money if it means the game is better and there's no pay-to-win, and encourage players who agree with this philosophy to donate and buy supporter packs.

Also, don't underestimate the demand for cool cosmetic gear. People love their hats and pets!

abunai

I always knew about this game but this OT pushed me over the edge and I bought a supporter pack. All of a sudden it's 22:40. Hasn't happened to me with any game since vanilla WoW. SooOO good.

Ok, just got my ranger up to 18 (witch is 19), now I'm going to switch back to witch and see how it grows. Witch seems waaaay more powerful at this level--or rather, "casting" is a lot more powerful than bow and bow skills early game. Thought that would be worth mentioning as in general I've found loot games to have casters be weak in the beginning, then powerful later.

Fou-Lu

Have been interested in PoE for a while, but have yet to play it, open beta here I come! Not sure which class I'll role yet, duelist or witch most likely.

NG28

How does the loot system work in this game in regards to groups? I've found some info about items having exclusivity timers for players or something?

syko de4d

How does the loot system work in this game in regards to groups? I've found some info about items having exclusivity timers for players or something?

A item drops and for some seconds(around 1-4sec) only ONE guy from the group can loot it.

The farther he is away, the more time he has to loot the item.

If the timer runs out everyone can loot this.

NG28

A item drops and for some seconds(around 1-4sec) only ONE guy from the group can loot it.

The farther he is away, the more time he has to loot the item.

If the timer runs out everyone can loot this.

Thanks! That looks like a good compromise between shared and separate loot.

I started playing today and got up to the first big boss. This game is so damn good! Ranger is a lot of fun so far. I'm going to have to try out Marauder and Witch before open to get a feel for which one I like best.

Edit - Nice video. Thanks for posting it!

Valnen

Hoping I can get people to play this with me, I've talked to people about it and nobody sounds really enthusiastic about it.

Have they updated the game with the OB patch? (Obviously not enabling it) Seeing if I should download now or wait until the 23rd, bandwidth caps suck!

Rokal

- Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
- Cosmetic pets
- Alternate skill effects
- Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
- Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
- Guild storage
- Alternate item skins and visual effects
- Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
- Item dyes

Thanks, lots of stuff on this list that I would actually pay for too.

Top Bottom