• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally gave in and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. It's time to go e-ink. I've been using my iPad Air 2 for e-books, but I work on a computer and I'm tired of having a backlight on my face the entire day
It's one of my favorite gadgets. I'll hold on to mine until Amazon releases a waterproof Kindle.

Peru

After I got a new job (yay! months of waiting over) I have to get up earlier (boo!) and so I've been dismal at reading since late february. Snail pace at a couple of pages a day. Hopefully things settle soon.

nolips

j7G9qv3.jpg

Funniest shit ever. Reading it for the third time.

Finished The Drowning Pool. A marked increase in quality from The Moving Target. Looking forward to delving deeper into the Lew Archer series. For now though I need a change of pace so I'm going with The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Finally gave in and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. It's time to go e-ink. I've been using my iPad Air 2 for e-books, but I work on a computer and I'm tired of having a backlight on my face the entire day

One of us! One of us! I love my paperwhite. Use it almost every day. Its such a game changer for reading.

EDIT: Huh, just got a notification that Michael Chrichton has a new book coming out in May. Dude is like the Tupac of the book world.

I finished listening to Red Seas Under Red Skies yesterday.

887877.jpg

It was.. ok. The audiobook was wonderful. This was my first time listening to a fiction book in audio form, and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way that the narrator could give all the characters their own voices. The actual book itself though was just ok. After how amazing Lies of Locke Lamora was, Red Seas feels like a bit of a letdown. I feel like I'm still nursing that whiplash from the sudden introduction of the pirate plot.

Pirates are fine and all, but don't promise me more adventures of Locke and Jean conning people before filling your whole book with sailing minutia.

mu cephei

11830394.jpg

Just started 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Nothing much seems to be happening at the moment but I actually like that and it's really good so far, I'm loving all the detailed descriptions of how people live on Mercury and the terraria. But those are the things I like KSR for; I'm not especially looking forward to when the plot kicks in.

9780812536355.jpg

Currently reading the second book in Vernor Vinge's Zone of Thought Trilogy - A Deepness In The Sky.

Pretty good so far but it has A LOT to live up to following A Fire Upon The Deep, one of the best Sci Fi books I've read.

Please post what you think of it when you're done! I thought A Fire Upon The Deep was really great (though I thought the ending let it down a very little) but I haven't read the second book yet.

Jag

Release day from Brian McClellan

Today is the release day for my fourth book, Sins of Empire. The first in a new series set in the Powder Mage Universe, Sins is a culmination of two years of hard work (including an entire draft that was scrapped and will never see the light of day). I am very excited to share it will you, and I hope you enjoy. Purchase links below.

51KrDt0SKyL.jpg

Looking forward to this.

Finished this yesterday. Look at that beautiful 70s af cover:

1265442.jpg

I wanted to read this since my college days, but finally got around to it and I'm not enjoying these PoMo classics as much as I thought I would. Still was good fun flipping from footnote to footnote, using 3 bookmarks to get through this knotty beast.

MilkBeard

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, about 300 pages in. The characterization is brilliant but I have to admit a slight frustration at the way it bounces from character to character, developing the seemingly unimportant ones. The central conflict of Anna's love affair doesn't feel connected to others, though I'm guessing it will as I continue to read.

I can't help but to judge also the fact that Dostoevsky (one of my favorite authors) wrote more about the lower class and people with actual problems, representing Russian culture on a social, political and economic level, while here it's more about high society and their boredom and desire to love being the main conflict.
Anna Karenina may be one of his most famous works, but Tolstoy explores the plight of he working class in his later works. It might be good to read a little about his own personal philosophy as well. It might give some insight into why he writes the way he does.

I'm speaking because I am reading Resurrection, a book he wrote later on in his life. This book explores the imbalance between wealthy landowners and the peasants that depended on them. I find this book to be quite good, and I like Tolstoy's style in general.

besada

Banned
Just finished Penric's Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold. I really enjoyed it. As soon as I finished I popped over to amazon and bought the other three novellas.

I'm currently reading The Camp of Saints, an incredibly racist book Steve Bannon loves, because I'm a masochist. I'm only three chapters in, but woo, it's racist, viewed through the lens of nationalism (ie: Euro-style racism). Also, the lead character just shot an angry hippie who was cheering about the demise of western civilization. The writing is not very good.

Ratrat

Do those Powder Mage books improve? I loved the idea behind the first one, but it felt very juvenile/videogamey.
The fights felt like something from an anime. Two peope destory several blocks of a city during a fight and neither are injured.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Have any of you successfully purged your book collections?

I've decided to donate my physical library. I recently re-bought a book on Kindle despite owning a physical copy knowing that I'd never read the physical copy, but have already started the e-book. Lol

BioHazard

I've decided to donate my physical library. I recently re-bought a book on Kindle despite owning a physical copy knowing that I'd never read the physical copy, but have already started the e-book. Lol

I've done this will pretty much all my media. I only have things I plan on reading/watching/playing in the very near future and when I'm done with them I sell or donate them off, so my collection is like always rotating. I got over the need to have a "traditional" collection accumulating and accumulating because I don't really re-read or re-visit many things. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

kswiston

Oh hey, I remember reading the first Powder Mage book and enjoying it. IIRC it had some pretty neat mysteries, though I can't recall whether or not they were answered by the end of the first book. Are the rest of the books worth reading?

If you liked the first, you will probably like the rest. If not, don't expect the rest of the trilogy to change your mind. It's very consistent.

With the exception of non-fiction that I might want to reference in the future or books I super duper loved that I know I'll want to re-read at some point, I give all my hard copies away as soon as I'm done with it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
If anything having no books will dramatically simplify moving. Doesn't take many books to make a heavy-ass crate.

kswiston

If anything having no books will dramatically simplify moving. Doesn't take many books to make a heavy-ass crate.

I am debating this myself. I have to move across country at the end of summer. My wife and I have 4 bookshelves worth of books, including university texts. That works out to well over 1000 lbs that I have to lug around in every move.

I've been collecting books for most of my life, close to 10 years (I'm seventeen, and I think I have several books left from early elementary school). I managed to somehow fill up two full bookcases and then some. That's not counting the 100+ ebooks I managed to accrue in half a year. ;_;

Books are just about the only thing I have to tangibly show for how I've invested in or progressed in any of my hobbies, so I'm quite attached to my collection.

besada

Banned
War Dogs by Greg Bear is on sale for $2.99 for Kindle today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II3KY1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the story of a humanity who is fighting a war on behalf of an alien entity they don't understand, against an alien entity they don't understand, for goals they're not entirely clear on. It takes place mostly on Mars, where you also get to see the remnants of the Muskies, early Mars colonists who got abandoned by Earth. Told from a grunt's point of view. First part of a trilogy.
I've been collecting books for most of my life, close to 10 years (I'm seventeen, and I think I have several books left from early elementary school). I managed to somehow fill up two full bookshelves and then some. That's not counting the 100+ ebooks I managed to accrue in half a year. ;_;

Books are just about the only thing I have to tangibly show for how I've invested in or progressed in any of my hobbies, so I'm quite attached to my collection.

In my quest to go digital and own less things, I sold more than 26 boxes (about five or six tall shelves worth) of books this weekend. I only kept poetry, art books, and non-fiction/reference works, which take up about four full-sized shelves.

mu cephei

NO

Just today I bought two more bookcases. (My books are triple stacked in places).

A few years ago I convinced myself to get rid of Terry Goodkind's series, and volumes 4-6 of the Dune series. I still regret the latter :p

I am aware of how ridiculous this all is

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
War Dogs by Greg Bear is on sale for $2.99 for Kindle today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II3KY1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the story of a humanity who is fighting a war on behalf of an alien entity they don't understand, against an alien entity they don't understand, for goals they're not entirely clear on. It takes place mostly on Mars, where you also get to see the remnants of the Muskies, early Mars colonists who got abandoned by Earth. Told from a grunt's point of view. First part of a trilogy.
Kindle version is showing $4.12 for me. Is it a regional thing?

aravuus

50 pages into Pratchett's Guards! Guards! and my god, this is hilarious! I tried reading Mort a year or two ago but couldn't really get into it and kind of wrote off the whole Discworld series.

Dunno what prompted me to try it again today, but I'm glad I did, cause a book hasn't made me laugh this much since The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm genuinely laughing out loud at least once every page, which is just amazing. I might check out the other sub-series too, but for now, the City Watch sub-series will be my focus, assuming they'll continue to be this funny.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just finished Viet Thanh Nguyen's The Sympathizer. It shook me. Such an impassioned, angry, beautiful book. Funny, too - I will never forget the squid.

Now I'm starting White Teeth. I haven't read Zadie Smith before so I'm excited.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It really is a great book and totally caught me off guard. I would've never expected 14th century Sherlock monks.

Focault's Pendulum wasn't as good but still enjoyable.

brawly

Finished How to make friends and influence people. Fun read, great tips and some very impressive examples. I don't quite yet know whether I can apply all of it, but I'll have to reread it anyway.

Now onto Dark Tower III: The Wastelands.

Mumei

When applied to the origin of animals, molecular clocks suggest a start date as long ago as 800–700 mya. This result is both surprising and intriguing, as it suggests that single cells may have organized well enough to form animals during the time of Snowball Earth. If so, environmental stresses may have provided the evolutionary jumpstart that eventually led to sponges, worms, mollusks, arthropods, fish, amphibians, reptiles, and finally reached its zenith with Beyoncé.

Well, that's just science.

On a business trip and didn't want to pack even a carry-on bag, so I jammed everything (clothes, laptop, Flipbook) into my Swiss gear bag. Which did NOT leave enough room for To Green Angel Tower Part I (all 800 pages of it in paperback).

So when I got on the plane I was like, "Shit, I need something to read." Fired up Half the World by Joe Abercrombie, book 2 in his YA series. I had read Half a King when it first came out, so I think I'm missing bits of who's who or who's what or what's who, but basically two hour-long flights and I'm more than a third of the way through, with a couple hours on the way back tomorrow. Gotta fly out to Vegas in a week and a half for a conference, so I imagine I'll wrap it up because my bag will likely look as jammed as it is right now.

Kahoona

I finished listening to Red Seas Under Red Skies yesterday.

887877.jpg

It was.. ok. The audiobook was wonderful. This was my first time listening to a fiction book in audio form, and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way that the narrator could give all the characters their own voices. The actual book itself though was just ok. After how amazing Lies of Locke Lamora was, Red Seas feels like a bit of a letdown. I feel like I'm still nursing that whiplash from the sudden introduction of the pirate plot.

Pirates are fine and all, but don't promise me more adventures of Locke and Jean conning people before filling your whole book with sailing minutia.

Book 3 was good in my opinion. I definitely think book 2 is the weakest of the series so far.

51Z3ZotTWfL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Loving every bit of it. Will finish it tonight most likely.

Stunningly gripping authenticity in it's writing; Jenny Lawson is the best friend I haven't met yet.

Hanzou

On a business trip and didn't want to pack even a carry-on bag, so I jammed everything (clothes, laptop, Flipbook) into my Swiss gear bag. Which did NOT leave enough room for To Green Angel Tower Part I (all 800 pages of it in paperback).

So when I got on the plane I was like, "Shit, I need something to read." Fired up Half the World by Joe Abercrombie, book 2 in his YA series. I had read Half a King when it first came out, so I think I'm missing bits of who's who or who's what or what's who, but basically two hour-long flights and I'm more than a third of the way through, with a couple hours on the way back tomorrow. Gotta fly out to Vegas in a week and a half for a conference, so I imagine I'll wrap it up because my bag will likely look as jammed as it is right now.
How do you go on a business trip without even a carry on bag? Just buy new clothes when you get there?

Finished Year Zero, thought it was just alright. Entertaining enough.

Started

arr_pb_600x900.jpg

and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna at least tear up at some point reading this...

thomaser

Just bought a new apartment, over twice as large as the one I have now. Gonna build my own "library" :) Lots of sloping roofs, though, which makes it a little cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom