• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Stream

i am interested to know more about the other multiplayer maps. I hope levolution will play a big part in every map and not just shanghai.

RoKKeR

i am interested to know more about the other multiplayer maps. I hope levolution will play a big part in every map and not just shanghai.

They said that each map will have a big/central Levolution/interactive destruction setpiece like the Skyscraper, as well as overall enhanced destruction in other sections. Think the parking garage scene.

RoKKeR

Just preordered this bad boy today. First game I play when I get the PS4.

I may actually pop in single player this time.

Battlefield 4 is killing it on next gen pre-orders, which is interesting/surprising. It is one of the top selling next gen games across Xbone/PS4. This is the perfect time for Battlefield to really dominate next gen MP shooters.

They said that each map will have a big/central Levolution/interactive destruction setpiece like the Skyscraper, as well as overall enhanced destruction in other sections. Think the parking garage scene.

destruction definitely is improved since BF3. But i still think they can up it one more notch.

maybe it is the old ass consoles like ps360 holding it back?

TheContact

Battlefield 4 is killing it on next gen pre-orders, which is interesting/surprising. It is one of the top selling next gen games across Xbone/PS4. This is the perfect time for Battlefield to really dominate next gen MP shooters.

I love how there's going to be less differentiation between xbo/ps4 versions compared to PC, unlike now where the games are almost night and day differences. I still couldn't play an FPS with a controller though

Once we are through the week, I'll do a roundup of all the info, big and small, and post a thread. (probably)

Here's some for you to start with:

• 1080p, 60 FPS, 64 players confirmed for XB1 and PS4
  • 5 players per squad
  • 4 classes (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon)
  • In-game VOIP confirmed
  • "Levolution"
    • Every map will have changes that can alter the makeup of the map/level.
    • Also refers to the verticality they want to add to maps.
    • So far, not scripted--can take out supports to bring down skyscraper
  • Commander mode
    • One player on each side that does not occupy a player slot (64 players + 2 commanders)
    • Can be played from console, PC, or remotely with a tablet
    • Scan and EMP UAVs can be deployed; vehicle scans, tomahawk missiles, infantry scans, and gunships can be deployed based on whether or not certain bases are capture
    • Supply and vehicle drops
    • Set attack orders for individual squads
  • Vehicles
    • Enhanced vehicle disabling: Vehicles are disabled based on the parts that are hit; however, tires can't be shot out (it's not that granular)
    • Limited MBT ammo
  • Other/mechanics
    • Squad assists can count as kills if you contibuted the most to the kill (maybe >90%?)
    • Reduced suppression: Support now contributes the most to suppression and it has a greater effect at long range
      ADS near cover allows a "peak" cover system. Not sure if you can lean left/right, but seems you can pop up above cover
    • "Click to spawn" deployment options
    • Interface is muuuch less click-heavy vs BF3
    • Movement system has been tweaked for momentum; it takes a moment to get to full sprint speed
    • Directional callouts--the default "enemy spotted" voice seems to indicate directions/location relative to your position
    • Swimming
      • Can dive to avoid gunfire
      • Can shoot pistols under/above water while swimming
      • Can sprint swim
  • Spectator mode
    • Confirmed for PC, "we'll see" for console
    • Views: Table Top, First Person, Third Person, Free Cam
    • Can "set" up to four free cams around the map to quickly jump to certain location
    • UI can be turned off
    • Can click on player from table top view and get PiP view of their screen
  • Class info
    • Assault
      • Standard health bag
      • Small health pack, which you can toss onto someone. It regenerates their health, regardless of their proximity to you. If you toss onto ground, can still be used to regenerate health
      • Defibs need to be charged before you can pick someone up
    • Recon
      • C4
      • Motion sensor ball
      • Range finder
      • Ability to use different zoom levels in one scope
    • Support
      • Ammo bag: deployable ammo
      • Ammo pack: ammo that can individually be given to someone
  • Improved environments
    • Metal detectors can expose you, storefront gates can be shut to cut people off, fire extinguishers create smoke screens, bollards can prevent vehicle access
    • Water reacts dynamically to vehicles and events (skyscraper falling)
  • Weapons/equipment
    • Flashbangs
    • Incendiary grenades
    • Pistols can be customized
    • Tons of attachments/customizations (green hipfire laser sights, different foregrips, barrel types, bipods, silencer/flashlight combo)
    • Over 1200 items
    • Canted/dual sights

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's some for you to start with:

• 1080p, 60 FPS, 64 players confirmed for XB1 and PS4
  • 5 players per squad
  • 4 classes (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon)
  • In-game VOIP confirmed
  • "Levolution"
    • Every map will have changes that can alter the makeup of the map/level.
    • Also refers to the verticality they want to add to maps.
    • So far, not scripted--can take out supports to bring down skyscraper
  • Commander mode
    • One player on each side that does not occupy a player slot (64 players + 2 commanders)
    • Can be played from console, PC, or remotely with a tablet
    • Scan and EMP UAVs can be deployed; vehicle scans, tomahawk missiles, infantry scans, and gunships can be deployed based on whether or not certain bases are capture
    • Supply and vehicle drops
    • Set attack orders for individual squads
  • Vehicles
    • Enhanced vehicle disabling: Vehicles are disabled based on the parts that are hit (e.g., tires can be shot out)
    • Limited MBT ammo
  • Other/mechanics
    • Squad assists can count as kills if you contibuted the most to the kill (maybe >90%?)
    • Reduced suppression: Support now contributes the most to suppression and it has a greater effect at long range
      ADS near cover allows a "peak" cover system. Not sure if you can lean left/right, but seems you can pop up above cover
    • "Click to spawn" deployment options
    • Interface is muuuch less click-heavy vs BF3
    • Movement system has been tweaked for momentum; it takes a moment to get to full sprint speed
    • Swimming
      • Can dive to avoid gunfire
      • Can shoot pistols under/above water while swimming
      • Can sprint swim
  • Spectator mode
    • Confirmed for PC, "we'll see" for console
    • Views: Table Top, First Person, Third Person, Free Cam
    • Can "set" up to four free cams around the map to quickly jump to certain location
    • UI can be turned off
    • Can click on player from table top view and get PiP view of their screen
  • Class info
    • Assault has standard medpack, and a "small" medpack, which you "stick" to someone. It regenerates their health, regardless of their proximity to you; defibs need to be charged before you can pick someone up
    • Recon has C4 and motion sensor ball
  • Improved environments
    • Metal detectors can expose you, storefront gates can be shut to cut people off, fire extinguishers create smoke screens, bollards can prevent vehicle access
    • Water reacts dynamically to vehicles and events (skyscraper falling)
  • Weapons/equipment
    • Flashbangs are in
    • Pistols can be customized
    • Tons of attachments/customizations (green hipfire laser sights, different foregrips, barrel types, bipods, silencer/flashlight combo)
Btw after all these streams finish, it would be great if we could get a news summary thread of all we learned (with perhaps a few quotes like the dust storm post skyscraper and the shopping center metal doors).

Thanks a bunch for your summaries so far.

Menelaus

Banned
Anton Sugar has done a stellar job in summarising stuff. Thanks.

If only he was as good at BF as he is at summarizing...

ifjqt4s.gif

Menelaus

Banned
Did I just hear correctly that the hardcore reloading mechanic where you lose unused ammo has made it into standard?

Edit: watching infantry, doesn't seem like that's the case.

Lakitu

st5fu
Did I just hear correctly that the hardcore reloading mechanic where you lose unused ammo has made it into standard?

Edit: watching infantry, doesn't seem like that's the case.

It's going to be in hardcore mode only. Shame, I wish it was in standard aswell.

Edit: Wow, tickets drop so fast with 64 players. So different to consoles where tickets take ages to go down in 200% and 300%.

No problem, guys. I'll at least help with RoKKer's thread when he makes it.

If only he was as good at BF as he is at summarizing...

ifjqt4s.gif

Will you rejoin your PC brethren or has 1080p/60fps/64 players made the divorce that much more final?

EDIT: Think we just saw an incendiary grenade.

RoKKeR

Damn, good work Anton. You make the thread, I'll help collect as much as I can! And sign up for the OT! I was going to do it but backed out because I wasn't sure I'd have the time to do it later this year.

Just realized, when I preordered this I got a BF3 content code, and BF4 content code which apparently I have to not lose between now and October, and some dog tags.

Jesus..

LevelCap apparently spoke with a DICE dev and they said they've upgraded the hit detection/netcode, and impressions have noted that there has been very little rubberbanding/dying behind cover.

Again, I don't think E3 is the best place for netcode impressions, but it does seem pretty solid from the stream.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks for collecting all this info guys... much appreciated.

patrick just confirmed tires cannot be individually shot out on the stream

Yeah. There have been a few reports that disabling is location-specific (as in, more specific than front, sides, rear, top), but I didn't really get a good idea of whether or not that's true based on Patrick's "clarification".

sp3000

The PC version that my buddy was playing at E3 he said it was skipping anywhere from ~30-45fps @ 1080p. If a "beefy" PC can't do it, and yet somehow consoles can, that means there have been cuts made on consoles somewhere along the line in order to do that, especially with 64 players.

It is likely they made some visual compromises to get that. Will probably run at a mixture of high and medium settings. It's probably worth it for 60 fps though.

Menelaus

Banned
It is likely they made some visual compromises to get that. Will probably run at a mixture of high and medium settings. It's probably worth it for 60 fps though.

I just bought a 660ti, no way I'm running it past high anyways...both versions will have parity for me, at least.

What sucks is it finally looks like the spawn screen/map has proper mouse support.

Looks terrible. PlanetSide 2 blows it out of the water.

As a PS2 fan, I do wish that there was a PlanetSide 2-esque Battlefield, with persistent worlds, resources, complete control over all vehicles, etc. The scale of PlanetSide 2 is boner-inducing.

However, the two games are very clearly trying to do different things, so it's a bit foolish to compare them. Not to mention PS2 has (had, with the two recent patches) a ton of problems with its progression/end-game design.

JB1981

I'm talking about the Shanghai walkthrough with the insane verticality and completely seamless gameplay from one incredible action set piece to another. This all seemed way too good to be true. Are we going to be able to play an actual map like that? Like for real? Because if so that was absolutely incredible.

They've been streaming gameplay from that map. Basically, the building only goes down after you destroy 4 unstable pillars, it's not like that with every skyscraper as far as I know. No idea about the inside of every skyscraper, but I'd wager no. Someone who has watched the stream longer than I have could answer that though.

I think they may have made sure that things looked as impressive as possible/the guy they were filming saw the cool stuff, the fact he didn't take damage/his squad mates didn't die was a little weird.

Odrion

Banned
Okay, it may be Battlefield 3.5 but all the changes they're doing are extremely positive and I'd kinda rather have this then another whole new game with busted mechanics.

Top Bottom