• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

TheZink

I have both consoles ordered but was planning on canceling my Xbone order. Im starting to have second thoughts with all this news. I LOVE multiplayer and with Titanfall coming I thing I would be making a big mistake.

I have both consoles ordered but was planning on canceling my Xbone order. Im starting to have second thoughts with all this news. I LOVE multiplayer and with Titanfall coming I thing I would be making a big mistake.

NeoGaf likes to overreact about everything MS. There are still plenty of great games incoming.

mjswooosh

Banned
They can't give it, because ultimately it will depend on if EA want to pay for it.

I've no doubt they're giving devs very good deals for launch so they will, but the economic model isn't going to allow that in perpetuity.

I agree with the comment above - if they'd called this feature "better dedicated server support" everyone would have gone apeshit positive about it. The problem is they tried to sell it as if it was additional graphics power that it won't be.

I'm still curious to find out if Titanfall will have dedicated servers on the 360.

+1 This post climbed inside my head and yanked out the exact words I was thinking of putting here. I didn't know GAF had other psychics on here....

Arkam

It doesnt matter how you cut it, MS is bringing it (once again) with online services for the X1. They did a great job with the X360 and I expect to be impressed all over again.

I really do hope we see some devs make interesting uses out of the server resources. I mean there are so many small ways it can be used that are obvious, makes excited to wonder what might happen. Oh how I wish I was working with consoles again... (rubble rubble)

Two random questions:

Do the voice commands work when speaking through a mic? If you've got a headset on for multiplayer do you have to speak loud enough for Kinect to hear you to use voice commands like snapping things to the screen?

Is there any limit to the apps you can snap while playing multiplayer games? Could I be watching some IGN videos while playing multiplayer? Not that I'd want to mind you, but am wondering if there are any limits to keep your connection quality up.

UNCMark

Banned

I'm in the same boat. Last week I was convinced I was canceling my Xbox One pre-order. Now I doubt I will. It's got the best launch titles and I love what they're showing of the UI/OS. And like you said, Titanfall soon. Also keeping the PS4 pre-order, but with no free DC and no WD, I'm less enthused about gaming on it at launch, but still excited about the new hardware.

cool_dude

Banned
I plan to use my next console for much more than gaming.

To be quite frank the actual gaming side isn't even what made me pre-order a next gen console. Forza 5 comes free with my pre-order and I'm not really wanting to spend any more money yet.

Having apps that I use like Xbox Music/Sky TV/Netflix require me to exit my current app to look at/start/use any other app or even go back to the dashboard.

Having to switch between inputs on my TV when switching from PC gaming/web browsing to console.

I agree with your points. I also agree that the user interface is important.

I'm planning to use my Xbox One for more than just gaming, in line with how I've changed my entertainment habits as I get older and have less free time. I listen to more music and watch more streaming vids now. Also, I would love to be able to play an Xbox Live poker game (or any other game) snapped as I use Skype/Voice chat.

One thing I hope they integrate is customized voice commands...for instance, I actually like Kinect fitness software but they take too long to boot up and start (yeah, I'm lazy). If I come home from work and say, "Xbox Fitness" it would be awesome for the system to power up, recognize me, turn the TV on, and pick up my daily workout routine where I left off with full stat tracking. That would be extremely convenient and enticing.

Also to be clear. One of the benefits of publishing games on Xbox One – ALL game developers get Dedicated Servers, Cloud Processing, and “storage” (for save games) free.

If you want to do dedicated servers on other platforms, you have to prop them yourself. But on Xbox One, while developers can choose to use their own methods, we make it available to everyone.

There should be no confusion on this point. We do not charge developers for Dedicated Servers.

That's awesome Albert. Good job MS ;)

Top Bottom