• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

K.Sabot

Glorious.

Every fighting game should be on PC.

The issue is 99% of the people who are playing this are really good at the game. Dead game central.

TheOGB

Banned
Runs surprisingly well on this old Intel Core 2 Duo and Radeon HD 3400, damn near flawless it looked like. I'd gather more info but I was too busy fumbling with the controls and somehow mapped the accept and back buttons to the same thing, and then the arrow keys... Needless to say, that's a bit of a mess, and I probably should have plugged in my gamepad much sooner. >.>

Beats

Hmm, the only big problem I'm having is the game can stutter a bunch for an entire match when I'm playing against someone even if the connection is really good. It only happened a few times, so I'm not sure what's up. Other than that the game is running well for me.

El Sloth

Banned
Hmm, the only big problem I'm having is the game can stutter a bunch for an entire match when I'm playing against someone even if the connection is really good. It only happened a few times, so I'm not sure what's up. Other than that the game is running well for me.
Are you setting the frame delay before the match to what the game recommends?

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, figured out what my problem was. Playing it right now, and... well, at least it runs better than what I feared. Tried to turn on (or rather, off) all the performance stuff and still got noticeable stutter. I'd blame that more on a five or six year old integrated graphics card and CPU on this five or six year old laptop, though. Frankly, it's a miracle that my laptop could even run this at anything approaching acceptability in the first place, so kudos for that.

That said, Squigly is amazing fun. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around her, but everything about her is just... fucking cool. I love her moveset, and I love her style. Definitely gonna try to find a place for her if I can (although I imagine that's far from a unique opinion). Trying it with a keyboard for now, and that's working out about as well as you'd expect, especially since the keys themselves are pretty stiff. Figuring out whether I wanna go through the trouble of installing MotionInJoy for my Dualshock or just sticking with the keyboard till I get used to it.

Either way, I've been looking forward to this for a long, long time, as an excuse to really get back into Skullgirls. I know pretty much nothing about the fine mechanics of a fighter, but that's okay. Hopefully some of the other people jumping in (or jumping back in) will be in much the same position.

Command lists don't seem to work, though. Had to figure out some of Squigly's specials off what I remembered from Salty Cupcakes.

And I suspect this is more an issue on my end than anything else, but my attempts to get into a match have been constantly interrupted by a 'failure to obtain opponent's connection data', or something along those lines. I have a pretty awful connection, so that might be it.

Only problem I'm having so far is that I'm complete balls at fighting games. Still looks super pretty though, and it's nice seeing some of Squiggly's WIP frames just for a bit of insight into how the characters are made.

Roubjon

Runs surprisingly well on this old Intel Core 2 Duo and Radeon HD 3400, damn near flawless it looked like. I'd gather more info but I was too busy fumbling with the controls and somehow mapped the accept and back buttons to the same thing, and then the arrow keys... Needless to say, that's a bit of a mess, and I probably should have plugged in my gamepad much sooner. >.>

Yeah, I just did this and I have no idea how to reset the controls. I tried uninstalling the game but that didn't help, so as of now the game is unplayable :/

EDIT: Did some searching in the Skullgirls OT and found that if you go into My Documents and delete the Skullgirls file found there, then it should reset everything.

TheOGB

Banned
Yep, this game is running smoooooooooth (though the menus can be deceptively slow, and Maplecrest has the same slowdown). Still some UI weirdness (can't open the pause menu command list with controller, have to use keyboard; you can unpause the game while looking at the command list with Start but it'll still be there until you press a different button), and loading isn't instant for me, but it is shorter than 360, so I can deal.

Great job making a playable thing that doesn't blow up our machines! :)

Yeah, I just did this and I have no idea how to reset the controls. I tried uninstalling the game but that didn't help, so as of now the game is unplayable :/

EDIT: Did some searching in the Skullgirls OT and found that if you go into My Documents and delete the Skullgirls file found there, then it should reset everything.
Yep, saw that too, got it working now (except with the Pause menu command list like I said above)

Loaded this up to give it a look see, tried Squigly's story mode and boy do I see what she meant by "Sorry!" haha.

Didn't plug in my stick yet just tried giving it a whirl with keyboard but the button mapping seems a bit jank right now. Inputs get eaten in menus and when I tried to exit from the pause screen during Squigly's story, the pause menu was for Player 1, but the confirmation to exit was for Player 2.

So just to be sure about this... If I buy the game now, it's $36, but if I wait until release and miss out on the beta shenanigans, it's only $15? And if this is accurate, the over doubled price exists to keep out casuals? I'd love to play, but if it'll be half the price at launch I suppose I'm a "casual".

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yeah, the "Highlight to edit P2 controls" thing should probably be moved to the bottom. That definitely didn't help the trouble I had earlier.

And it's not the fault of the beta, but I've gotta find out why my stick isn't working. It's recognized and the light around the guide button flashes, but when I check in the device manager it says "The device cannot start." Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers didn't do anything, it says the installation failed. It works fine on my 360, and used to be able to plug and play like it's supposed to, but now it's pulling this crap on me. Edit: Moved it to a different USB port I didn't know was there, suddenly works. :p

Loona

The game wouldn't start for me, maybe because of all the stuff I ran before it (namely Sonic Racing Transformed) - I'd reboot to give it another shot, but it's late.

I wonder if any issues found will get fixed/patched diring the beta period...

So just to be sure about this... If I buy the game now, it's $36, but if I wait until release and miss out on the beta shenanigans, it's only $15? And if this is accurate, the over doubled price exists to keep out casuals? I'd love to play, but if it'll be half the price at launch I suppose I'm a "casual".

no, it's 36 bucks because we're funding the game and supporting the devs, I would have given them way more if I had more money available. It doesn't mean you're a "casual" if you wait.

It was initially $30, but it's not a barrier for casuals or anything like that. You're paying extra to help fund it and get an early access beta. The $6 price increase was due to the overwhelming number of people who ended up contributing, they hit a limit with keys and needed to increase the cost to get more from the publisher AFAIK.

So it has nothing to do with casual or whatever, just wait it out and get it when it officially releases for cheaper.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, is it a bug that the movelists aren't available, or are they simply not available yet in the beta? Also, certain menus are completely unresponsive with the keyboard. You have to ESC out of them.

So far so good! Looking forward to testing this thing out. Squigly's j.HP is ridonkulous.

Roubjon

The game has a ton of graphic glitches in the backgrounds with my laptop, but that's obviously because I have Intel HD Graphics and don't have an actual graphics card. Everything else seems to run at full speed when I play it with an incredibly small resolution though.

I seriously need a new computer :/ It looks awesome though and I really wish I could play it.

So, is it a bug that the movelists aren't available, or are they simply not available yet in the beta? Also, certain menus are completely unresponsive with the keyboard. You have to ESC out of them.

So far so good! Looking forward to testing this thing out. Squigly's j.HP is ridonkulous.

They are available, they're just glitchy so it's hard to access them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Accessing Credits from the menu and FFing through it causes the game to crash after the credits finish rolling.

shaowebb

This isn't some closed private beta thingy is it? Like can we post screenshots in here or beta vids online?

LegendX48

seems I can't set the fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080 (fullscreen res seems to be 4:3 resolutions only) but windowed mode goes up to 1080 just fine :\

anyone else have this issue?

Aside from that the only other thing that bugs me is that my fightstick is set to player 2 by default

Never played the console version, backed this as penance. I FUCKING LOVE IT. This is really solid and I'm legit impressed. Looking forward to more stuff
(like maybe Minette)
!

Nyoro SF

seems I can't set the fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080 (fullscreen res seems to be 4:3 resolutions only) but windowed mode goes up to 1080 just fine :\

anyone else have this issue?

Aside from that the only other thing that bugs me is that my fightstick is set to player 2 by default

Yeah I have that problem.

Also you can access the movelists, but it has to be done with a keyboard (space bar) after you have the cursor over the name.

K.Sabot

Jesus.

Squigly sing assist

MY BRAIN

Play Valentine and j.dash hp while calling squigly.

TAKE MY MIXUP, YOU HAVE TO.

shaowebb

Oh God I cannot stop laughing at the Peacock pinup wallpaper they gave me as a backer XD

Work it girl lol

bon

Squigly looks like she's going to be the second best character in the game (#1 is still Peacock).

Play Valentine and j.dash hp while calling squigly.

TAKE MY MIXUP, YOU HAVE TO.

I fought this today.

It wasn't fun.

=[

And yeah, Squigly is seriously impressive now. She's just got a huge variety of different tricks and setups that she can use and abuse against the cast.

Ravidrath

Looking forward to someone beating Squigly's story mode!

I understand the plan would then be for a Beta branch of the game to be made available on Steam, so you'll have the option of going to the stable version (equal to the console versions of the game) and the beta branch (the Salty Cupcakes builds).

Small terminology problem here...

Branches would require redownloading the game every single time you wanted to switch versions, which is stupid.

So they will effectively be treated as two separate games on Steam: an ongoing Skullgirls Beta, and then just Skullgirls once the retail version is out.

Cmagus

Played with a few characters and I really like Parasoul alot so far. As for Marie good luck with that she is kicking my ass all over the place.

Hmm, having some issues with controller input... it keeps detecting my usb gamepad as Player 2 with my keyboard being Player 1. How do I solve this?

Edit: Ah, I get it! The game prioritized my plugged-in but not in use Dual Shock 3 as Player 1. Unplugging it fixed the issue. Still, I wish you could select which gamepad to use for which player in the options menu. Doing it in versus mode didn't help once back out in the menus/other modes.

Looking forward to someone beating Squigly's story mode!

Small terminology problem here...

Branches would require redownloading the game every single time you wanted to switch versions, which is stupid.

So they will effectively be treated as two separate games on Steam: an ongoing Skullgirls Beta, and then just Skullgirls once the retail version is out.

Just to be perfectly clear, the Beta version will be "constantly" updating with the newest version at Salty Cupcakes giving us an early preview of the other 4 DLC characters too, right?

Top Bottom