• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

Roubjon

What up guys. If anyone wants to play, I'm free right now. Don't expect expert playing though. I'm trying to learn Parasoul, so doubt I'm going to be screwing up all the time. The steam name is Roubjon

And on this final day of Beta they give Squigly an amazing set of new palettes (and removed a lot of the bad ones.)

lOY2m7e.png

Kainazzo

And on this final day of Beta they give Squigly an amazing set of new palettes (and removed a lot of the bad ones.)

Neat! Always fun to try and guess the references, though there's plenty I don't see. Here I go:
-Top row, third from left is Lydia from the Beetlejuice animated series.
-Top row, second from right, is Cream the Rabbit
-Middle row, third from left, is Shego from Kim Possible (?)
-Bottom row, third from right, is either Zone Tan or Gaz from Invader Zim.

Edit: I don't know the color scheme, but is there a Wicked Witch of the East in there? The striped socks are just asking for it.

Neat! Always fun to try and guess the references, though there's plenty I don't see. Here I go:
-Top row, third from left is Lydia from the Beetlejuice animated series.
-Top row, second from right, is Cream the Rabbit
-Middle row, third from left, is Shego from Kim Possible (?)
-Bottom row, third from right, is either Zone Tan or Gaz from Invader Zim.

Edit: I don't know the color scheme, but is there a jimiWicked Witch of the East in there? The striped socks are just asking for it.

Middle row, first one from left looks like Jane(?) from Disney Tarzam

Are there plans to add the ability to change frame delay in lobbies or prematch? Netcode is great when set up properly but I'm a little out of the ways so I'm playing with people at a variety of pings.

Syril

How is getting Squigly supposed to work? It gives an error when I try to Add to Cart. I'm not sure the Steam store knows how to handle items costing $0.00.

nded

My Skullgirls Beta changed its name to Endless Beta and it works as always, but apparently there's supposed to be a second entry for the "full" game that I don't have for some reason. Also, when I visit the store page it doesn't think I own the game. Pre-ordered on GMG if that matters.

Edit: Never mind, they just put the full game key in a confusing place. If anyone else is having trouble, click the "Download" link for Skullgirls in your GMG library and the key should be there.

TDLink

So with Mariel Cartwirght, the Skullgirls animator, working on the new Shantae, and its lead saying he would be fine with Shantae in Skullgirls on Sup Holmes?...

What are the chances of Shantae as a guest character in Skullgirls actually happening?

EDIT: actually meant to post this in the OT rather than the Beta thread. Apologies.

TDLink

Playable? Extremely low given how much it costs to make a single character in this game.

NPC set up in one of the backgrounds? Maybe.

If the Sprite and Animation work is already done for Shantae that saves them a lot, I would think... If I remember right that was their most costly thing per character.

remz

If the Sprite and Animation work is already done for Shantae that saves them a lot, I would think... If I remember right that was their most costly thing per character.

Yeah but the sprite work would be done for her game... in her style. It's not done at all. They'd have to redraw to fit Skullgirls and she'd need fightgame moves as opposed to jumpgame moves.

TDLink

Yeah but the sprite work would be done for her game... in her style. It's not done at all. They'd have to redraw to fit Skullgirls and she'd need fightgame moves as opposed to jumpgame moves.

I don't see how it is that far off:

Obviously some work would need to be done with the moves/programming as well as voice work (as I believe Shantae is going to only have sound effects/hit noises). I am just saying, a big chunk of the work is potentially done.

I just think she would fit into Skullgirls, even moreso now that we know she is getting the same animation as Skullgirls...plus her creator is fine with it. So yeah, was just wondering about the feasibility here as a guest.

Jintor

It'd be good to use as an animation base but to be Skullgirls style they'd really need to redo every frame.

I'd fucking love it if she gets in though. But more likely as a background character.

nded

I don't see how it is that far off:

I think the number of animation frames Shantae has in her games averages around 500-600, massive for a sidescrolling platformer character but still less than half of the average frame count of a Skullgirls character at around 1400. Not to mention that the new Shantae sprites are done in a different style with different shading; I think she'd look quite out of place in Skullgirls if they just lifted her sprites straight from her game.

Top Bottom