• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

kirblar

Right now, the 5 characters DLC is the only thing that's planned because it's really the only thing that there are funds for. Anything after that depends entirely on the game's sales and, more importantly, Lab Zero finding another publisher.
It also may just make more sense at that point to go with a Skullgirls II or Super Skullgirls for revenue-generation reasons. Hopefully the Steam version gets them a nice chunk of change.

TheOGB

Banned
Welp, just lost my first match 0-2. Feeling good about the match though (even when my HK failed me at the worst times), as where I only just reached the level of 'intermediate', my opponent was clearly an 'expert'. Cool guy, hope he does well in his next match.

TheOGB

Banned
VALUABLE LESSONS LEARNED AS A SQUIGLY PLAYER TODAY:
- cr.lk after Daisy Pusher against Cerebella whiffs
- Punches are useful beyond just Seria cancels and j.HP

Nyoro SF

VALUABLE LESSONS LEARNED AS A SQUIGLY PLAYER TODAY:
- cr.lk after Daisy Pusher against Cerebella whiffs
- Punches are useful beyond just Seria cancels and j.HP

Cerebella has an annoying air juggle hitbox too, I usually have to end my air chains a little faster than normal against her.

Out of all the punches outside of HP, I say that the only real good one is cr.MP, which is a shame. Jumping MP is almost totally worthless despite how cool it looks. Same goes for cr.LP, I thought it would be a great meaty but it comes out a bit too slowly for that.

TheOGB

Banned
Actually, you just reminded me of a thought I had about j.MP

What would happen if it had different levels based on your Dragon Stance charge? Like, if you had Dragon Stance fully charged, it became a little more explosive, had a slightly bigger/more outward hitbox (or maybe a different hit effect?).

Nyoro SF

Actually, you just reminded me of a thought I had about j.MP

What would happen if it had different levels based on your Dragon Stance charge? Like, if you had Dragon Stance fully charged, it became a little more explosive, had a slightly bigger/more outward hitbox (or maybe a different hit effect?).

Hm... I think rather than requiring a charge or such, the move should just do a soft/hard knockdown by default.

It reminds me of Baiken's jumping D. Maybe it should push Squigly back farther? But even then, it still needs a better hitbox.

NEO0MJ

Don't know if this is too early, but any news on the 1080p sprites? I think Ravi mentioned that they were coming eventually.

Yeah I was running Valentine/Filia against my friend's Filia/Parasoul. After I took out his Filia, it went downhill on mauling the Parasoul. It seems like she got good close up normals that keep people out.

Gliffyr

Ugh. What's the matchup of Valentine vs Parasoul?
It's pretty even as far as I can tell. I find it difficult to contest her in the air as even though j. HP is fairly strong for Parasoul, Valentine seems to have higher priority on her air attacks not to even mention her superior air mobility. It mostly comes down to your fundamentals and push-blocking so she never gets free offense on you.

She has to be pretty close to do damage and has to take risks getting to you since I find her ground game to be somewhat weak due to the fact that she needs to be pretty close to be able to get her launcher in which sets up most of her combos. Her throw is also very strong, but again, close range.

Because of that, I mostly try to play a safer, neutral game. Napalm Shots help a lot, especially MP because she likes to approach from the air. Learning to cancel jump attacks into air Napalm Tosses can also help as it will make her offense more risky if they go off and can open up combo opportunities there. Neutral j. HP is fairly strong as well because even though her air attacks might have higher priority you put yourself at little risk since you're less likely to directly move into the range of her attacks.

Valentine has the scarier mixup game once she's up close, but on the other hand Parasoul has the tools to make her mixup game hard to start. It's an even matchup as far as I can tell.

dot

I'm having trouble adding my opponent on steam.

He has logged on recently but refuses to add me. Does he not know he's in the tournament?! D: I mean i can find him on steam just fine....it's just that he won't accept my damn invite.

I'll have to send an email to my group email don't i?

joe2187

Banned
My tourney match just HAD to be a Parasoul player.

Well, It was fun and we played alot of good matches afterwards. I really need to work on hit confirming, I need some good tips for fortune strategies. Also need a ton of work on her headless play, because I am shit tier with her head off.

It's pretty even as far as I can tell. I find it difficult to contest her in the air as even though j. HP is fairly strong for Parasoul, Valentine seems to have higher priority on her air attacks not to even mention her superior air mobility. It mostly comes down to your fundamentals and push-blocking so she never gets free offense on you.

She has to be pretty close to do damage and has to take risks getting to you since I find her ground game to be somewhat weak due to the fact that she needs to be pretty close to be able to get her launcher in which sets up most of her combos. Her throw is also very strong, but again, close range.

Because of that, I mostly try to play a safer, neutral game. Napalm Shots help a lot, especially MP because she likes to approach from the air. Learning to cancel jump attacks into air Napalm Tosses can also help as it will make her offense more risky if they go off and can open up combo opportunities there. Neutral j. HP is fairly strong as well because even though her air attacks might have higher priority you put yourself at little risk since you're less likely to directly move into the range of her attacks.

Valentine has the scarier mixup game once she's up close, but on the other hand Parasoul has the tools to make her mixup game hard to start. It's an even matchup as far as I can tell.

Got it. Thanks. I went too ham and tried to bait out unsafe moves from Parasoul but got blown up for it. I forgot about pushblocking <_<.

dot

I lost in the first round against a Filia/Valentine combo.

I suck. ;-;

It was pretty close though. I need to get better!

Wunder

Where do you guys go to look up basic/intermediate combos for characters? I looked up SRK and Eventhubs since those are the sites I used when I played SSF4 but they don't seem that populated. I'm learning a duo of Valentine/Parasoul but still haven't gotten any real BnBs for Valentine or Para down, let alone partner combos with assists. Played a few games with a fellow GAFfer last night and while I won a few games, I was just playing keepaway vs his Cerebella and the second he got in I got crushed by his combos.

Any help is appreciated!

LuffyZoro

Of course I got bodied in the first round. Still, I did much better than I had any right to, given my 3 hours total experience in fighting games, and his 93 hours in the Skullgirls beta alone. I got him down about half in my first round before dying.

Thanks for playing, Discoshark. Surprisingly, getting my ass handed to me was pretty painless with the lovely art and music as a distraction. Also, the game was pretty damn smooth even though the ping was over 300. The power of GGPO

Wunder

Thanks for playing, Discoshark. Surprisingly, getting my ass handed to me was pretty painless with the lovely art and music as a distraction. Also, the game was pretty damn smooth even though the ping was over 300. The power of GGPO

Could I ask what both of your frame delays were set at?

Wunder

Set to max (5). It got funky at the end but otherwise I was pretty impressed.

Cool, thanks. I usually have it set to 4 for stuff like 250+ms and sometimes it's fine but sometimes it's wonky. If someone else sets it to like 2 and I have it set to 4, will it be really bad for me but good for him?

Cool, thanks. I usually have it set to 4 for stuff like 250+ms and sometimes it's fine but sometimes it's wonky. If someone else sets it to like 2 and I have it set to 4, will it be really bad for me but good for him?

As far as I know, both people should be using the same setting. The offset is there to accommodate the ping so if you're at the recommended level, you should enjoying a smoother experience than the person who's setting is inappropriate.

nooo :( Who did your opponent use? Only asking because I play him next :p

Valentine/Double

No offense to the guy, but I didn't see anything special there, although he did mention he was getting bad rollback (my end was smooth though oddly). I'm blaming myself for the loss more than my opponent really.

Valentine/Double

No offense to the guy, but I didn't see anything special there, although he did mention he was getting bad rollback (my end was smooth though oddly). I'm blaming myself for the loss more than my opponent really.

Thanks.

They really need to add an option for delay in lobby.

balohna

I had never played this game and grabbed a code from Destructoid (thank you based Dixon) and have been loving it. I've only played Arcade and tend to just quit when I get to the boss, but it's a really tight and fun fighter. I'll most likely buy it on or near launch.

Where do you guys go to look up basic/intermediate combos for characters? I looked up SRK and Eventhubs since those are the sites I used when I played SSF4 but they don't seem that populated. I'm learning a duo of Valentine/Parasoul but still haven't gotten any real BnBs for Valentine or Para down, let alone partner combos with assists. Played a few games with a fellow GAFfer last night and while I won a few games, I was just playing keepaway vs his Cerebella and the second he got in I got crushed by his combos.
Any help is appreciated!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74632747#post74632747
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74633571#post74633571
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74635047#post74635047
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76008911#post76008911
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76305595#post76305595
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76449419#post76449419

All of these have good intermediate and beginner combos. There are also some solid general tips to follow so don't go skipping anything. I didn't get much Valentine info, because I forgot about her at first. Bookmark this post so you don't lose the info.
nooo :( Who did your opponent use? Only asking because I play him next :p

On another note, SolarPowered bodied me hard casual play.
Don't sell yourself short. You did good too. You forced me to use my 2nd tier team. I still don't know which of my duos is my actual main team yet. Parasoul and Cerebella go pretty well together, though.

Won my 2nd match. :)

Don't sell yourself short. You did good too. You forced me to use my 2nd tier team. I still don't know which of my duos is my actual main team yet. Parasoul and Cerebella go pretty well together, though.

final score was probably 25 -11. Cerebella Lockdown HP assist doesn't seem too bad. Its got Armor on it!

I think the best way to play this game is to have at least 2 characters on your team. Solo anybody is a harder route to go I think.

I also need to up my Cerebella game :| All I'm doing is jumping and pressing HK for combo starter.

Dahbomb

Solo play is definitely harder, I think 2 characters is the sweet spot for most. You gotta either have that lockdown assist or the AA assist you can combo off of.

Top Bottom